WTF Nintendo...Component Cables to cost $59.99

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 dserafin1986

dserafin1986

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2006 - 04:22 PM

I'm none too pleased about this development...I have a 57" HD rear projection tv...and even though the WII will not be true HD, it looks alot clearer to have games run through component cables, then through composite cables...Oh well, I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet

http://www.ebgames.c...oduct_id=802520

#2 Ikohn4ever

Ikohn4ever

No Women, No Children

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2006 - 04:24 PM

I'm none too pleased about this development...I have a 57" HD rear projection tv...and even though the WII will not be true HD, it looks alot clearer to have games run through component cables, then through composite cables...Oh well, I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet

http://www.ebgames.c...oduct_id=802520

chill out man, your forgot to read the fine print...MadCatz, there is still no official price for it
"Men have become the tools of their tools." - Thoreau
Smash Code
1805-1831-0940 Ikohn
Posted ImagePosted Image DVDs My Games

#3 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2006 - 04:25 PM

Those are made by MadCatz... not Nintendo.

EDIT* Beat me to it.:-P

Currently playing:

:3ds: Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds - :) 
:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related Goodies║Wantlist║

#4 tangytangerine

tangytangerine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2006 - 04:26 PM

Makes me wonder if the old A/V cables from the GC, N64 & SNES will be able to work with the Wii. If so, it'd be easier to just order the GC component cables and pay less.

#5 elwood731

elwood731

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2006 - 04:32 PM

Makes me wonder if the old A/V cables from the GC, N64 & SNES will be able to work with the Wii. If so, it'd be easier to just order the GC component cables and pay less.

No. Nintendo is changing their output for the Wii.

#6 David85

David85

Posted 10 October 2006 - 04:50 PM

But the Wii is family friendly and all this bullshit!
"It (Wii) would be a complete failure if we didn't sell more units than the Nintendo GameCube". - Satoru Iwata 2005

"If you asked me if Sony's strength in hardware was in decline, right now I guess I would have to say that might be true." - Ken Kutaragi 9-9-06

Finally they speak the truth.

#7 dserafin1986

dserafin1986

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2006 - 05:04 PM

Alright cool, that's madcatz...but usually madcatz charges $10 less for their component cables than the 1st party...I guess I should be happy that at least I will be able to find these in stores, unlike the ultra rare GC component cables

#8 botticus

botticus

Posted 10 October 2006 - 05:20 PM

And the children will cry when they have to use composite cables for their Wii!

#9 daroga

daroga

swimming with nanocarp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2006 - 05:58 PM

Because every mommy, daddy, Suzie, and Billy will have their days ruined by not having compoennt video?

Seriously, find something new to complain about please. Maybe that the Wiimote's speaker is only mono rather than 5.1?

Posted Image

#10 rodeojones903

rodeojones903

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:05 PM

Alright cool, that's madcatz...but usually madcatz charges $10 less for their component cables than the 1st party...I guess I should be happy that at least I will be able to find these in stores, unlike the ultra rare GC component cables

That does bring up a good point. Who would actually pay more for Mad Catz cables? Maybe they have the inside scoop on what Nintendo is looking to charge for them.

#11 mofo1115

mofo1115

CAG gone to college!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:07 PM

I thought that this was old news and that that price was just a placeholder?

#12 guessed

guessed

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:11 PM

Because every mommy, daddy, Suzie, and Billy will have their days ruined by not having compoennt video?

Seriously, find something new to complain about please. Maybe that the Wiimote's speaker is only mono rather than 5.1?

Dang, I thought it would at least be DTS.

#13 horrido

horrido

CAG Probation

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:13 PM

Ouch! I thought they would be included.

#14 SpazX

SpazX

13 Billion Years in the Making

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:51 PM

Didn't the official Nintendo component cables for the GC cost $35 or $40 from the nintendo store?

I don't see why everyone thinks the cost for this will be so much different, it should be around the same price, probably cheaper since they'll produce more of them.

EDIT: They could also possibly be cheaper if the digital to analog converter isn't built into the cables as they were with the gamecube component cables.

Also, from searching around, it seems the gamecube components were originally $30, which is even cheaper. It would surprise me if they were over $30, but I'd say it wouldn't possibly go over $40 for a set of official Wii component cables.

Posted Image

#15 daroga

daroga

swimming with nanocarp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:03 PM

I thought that this was old news and that that price was just a placeholder?

You win. This item and price have been up since way before the Wii's price was even announced. EB/GS just haven't updated anything recently on it.

I would just like to know what Nintendo's are going to cost. I'd like to never, ever use the composite cables that come with it and hopefully am just able to get the cables when I get the system in store. Maybe when EB/GS puts up their bundles for the Wii we'll get a better idea of offical prices on some of the questions out there. My big three are component cables, if we'll get a Wii Play / Wiimote bundle like Japan and Europe, and if we'll get a Wii Points Card / Classic Controller bundle.

Posted Image

#16 SpazX

SpazX

13 Billion Years in the Making

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:06 PM

My big three are component cables, if we'll get a Wii Play / Wiimote bundle like Japan and Europe, and if we'll get a Wii Points Card / Classic Controller bundle.

Those are exactly the three things I want to know. I'll definitely buy all three at launch if they're there.

Posted Image

#17 Plinko

Plinko

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:15 PM

It took you 28 minutes after the original post for you to finally get your complaint up? You're off your game, David85.

#18 Tybee

Tybee

Rowsdower!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:35 PM

That does bring up a good point. Who would actually pay more for Mad Catz cables? Maybe they have the inside scoop on what Nintendo is looking to charge for them.

Or, more likely, EB/GS just pulled that price out of their ass, much as they often do with release dates. Oh, I'm sorry...It's a "place holder." :roll:

The component cable has really become Wii equivalent of "Freebird." Someone will ask whether component will come in the box, be available at launch, be a certain price, or whatever, and INVARIABLY someone chimes in with "Gosh, I wonder if we'll be able to use our GCN component cable?"

*sigh* I think I need to punch a pillow or something.

#19 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:01 PM

How much do the Gamecube component cables cost? $60.00? Why did anyone think they would be cheaper for a newer system?

And they are not coming bundled with the Wii, it's just not going to happen. Nintendo wants to keep the cost of the system down as much as possible.

#20 mofo1115

mofo1115

CAG gone to college!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:11 PM

How much do the Gamecube component cables cost? $60.00? Why did anyone think they would be cheaper for a newer system?

And they are not coming bundled with the Wii, it's just not going to happen. Nintendo wants to keep the cost of the system down as much as possible.

Read a few posts above you. Someone looked up the price of original gamecube component cables and they seemed to be 30.

#21 rodeojones903

rodeojones903

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:16 PM

Nintendo wants to keep the cost of the system down as much as possible.

No, Nintendo wants to make as much profit as possible.

#22 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:18 PM

Read a few posts above you. Someone looked up the price of original gamecube component cables and they seemed to be 30.

Hence, the question mark -- As I wasn't entirely sure. And after looking more into it, they were about $35.00 - $40.00 at the Nintendo store, but they were however extremely limited and sold for around $60.00 on eBay. But that is beside the point.

My point is, why do people think these are going to be cheap? If you want quality video, you're going to have to pay for it. Expect component cables to cost around $35.00, if not more.

I would of liked them to be bundled as well, but it's just better to give people the option of whether they want them or not.

#23 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:28 PM

Of course they do, Nintendo is a business after all. Nintendo won't bundle component cables for the same reason why the Wii will not have DVD functionality; Not many people will utilize it, and to keep the cost of the initial systems down.

And of course, then they can whore those who really need those extras. (People with HDTVs that MUST have component cables.) They know they will pay for them, but the average consumer/gamer won't.

#24 mofo1115

mofo1115

CAG gone to college!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:16 AM

Hence, the question mark -- As I wasn't entirely sure. And after looking more into it, they were about $35.00 - $40.00 at the Nintendo store, but they were however extremely limited and sold for around $60.00 on eBay. But that is beside the point.

My point is, why do people think these are going to be cheap? If you want quality video, you're going to have to pay for it. Expect component cables to cost around $35.00, if not more.

I would of liked them to be bundled as well, but it's just better to give people the option of whether they want them or not.

The $35 price is what I've expected for a while. I don't expect them to be bundled. There was news a while ago that component cables were not bundled... I didn't think anyone still thought that they were bundled.

#25 Dr Mario Kart

Dr Mario Kart

SD/2D Defense Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:23 AM

haha, sucks to be a graphics/tech/resolution whore

#26 daroga

daroga

swimming with nanocarp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:58 AM

Which is mutually exclusive from the cost of the system being low how?

Cheaper system to make = more profits. Both answers are correct :)

Posted Image

#27 maigoyume

maigoyume

The Lost Dreamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2006 - 01:01 AM

It took you 28 minutes after the original post for you to finally get your complaint up? You're off your game, David85.

thank you sir, this just MADE my day ;)
Posted Image

It's cheap to ship to/from Canada. Please take a look at Magiic's Magiical Shipping Guide.
For info on Canadian Customs and Tax exemption check Here,
Here and Here
Currently Playing:
Spoiler

#28 Bazz

Bazz

SamuelElbaz.Blogspot.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2006 - 01:16 AM

I will kill Nintendo if those cables are more then $30.00.

I need 1 more sign up if anyone could help please. http://www.yourfree360games.com/index.php?ref=244985
SamuelElbaz.Blogspot.com-Do me a favor and check it out. Would love to hear your feedback;)

#29 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:13 AM

Is it confirmed the Wii will no longer accept the standard AV/Component cables from the SNES, N64, Cube, etc? Any screenshots of the back of the system? I may have to sell my cables if so since the Wii can emulate Cube anyway.

#30 daroga

daroga

swimming with nanocarp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:17 AM

Is it confirmed the Wii will no longer accept the standard AV/Component cables from the SNES, N64, Cube, etc? Any screenshots of the back of the system? I may have to sell my cables if so since the Wii can emulate Cube anyway.

They can't. The cube relied on the standard AV port for audio and the digital only did the audio. The Wii only has one port.
http://www.gameinfor...42E}&mediaId=11

Posted Image