• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 WhoKnowsWho

WhoKnowsWho

Insert Custom Title Here

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2006 - 01:46 AM

http://www.ebgames.c...oduct_id=646737

Copy and paste to check out the web page.

We just picked a copy up at the EB for $29.99 along with the bongo set. It was sitting right next to the non-limited edition still priced at $49.99
Posted Image

#2 Roufuss

Roufuss

is now a coupon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2006 - 01:48 AM

Holla! Is this game worth $29.99 anyways?

It got alot of pre-release buzz but I never heard anything once it launched. I heard it was alot like Oblivion?

I called my lady friend last night and said my buddy had to beat off on my chest, she is kinda pissed at me, but it was the best idea I had all night, and I stand by it.

Posted Image

#3 Nugzy

Nugzy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2006 - 01:57 AM

Its about 7 hours long, if that. But I had alot of fun with it.

#4 Roufuss

Roufuss

is now a coupon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:05 AM

Wow shit... read some reviews, and didn't realize reviewers ripped this game a new one.

I kinda want the LE but I might just wait until $20 or lower :(

I called my lady friend last night and said my buddy had to beat off on my chest, she is kinda pissed at me, but it was the best idea I had all night, and I stand by it.

Posted Image

#5 Chacrana

Chacrana

You wa Cock

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:25 AM

It seemed like a love it or hate it game... lots of the European/foreign reviewers loved it while sites like IGN or Gamespot's overly bitchy Jeff Gerstmann didn't like it so much. From what I played, the game is excellent... at least in single player mode. It had some bugs that I'm sure have been patched by now, but that was really the only major downside to the game.

it was probably in there because I'm a flaming homosexual.

#6 Raphael

Raphael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:26 AM

meh oblivian ftw

#7 Roufuss

Roufuss

is now a coupon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:28 AM

It seemed like a love it or hate it game... lots of the European/foreign reviewers loved it while sites like IGN or Gamespot's overly bitchy Jeff Gerstmann didn't like it so much. From what I played, the game is excellent... at least in single player mode. It had some bugs that I'm sure have been patched by now, but that was really the only major downside to the game.

Yea, the AU review on IGN loved it, gave it an 88, while the US IGN gave it a 70.

IGN loved the level design, Gamespy hated it, some people loved the multiplayer, others hated it.

Some say it's not long enough, some say it drags on too much.

I've given up on the game getting ported to the 360 at this point so I might just grab it for $30 from EB tomorrow.

Posted Image

#8 Kayden

Kayden

Posted 27 December 2006 - 03:06 AM

If you like killing things, this is a great game. If like stories that keep you on the edge of your seat... not so much.

Lots of killing things though. In fun ways. Its like the cribnotes version of Oblivion except that combat is actually fun.

This is one of those games where the demo gives you the perfect taste. If you love the demo, you'll love the game.

Posted Image Posted Image

Kayden you would be awesome in Congress.

#9 zsgamer

zsgamer

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2006 - 03:08 AM

This game came with my new graphics card, and I really enjoy playing it. The graphics look really nice if your machine can handle them. The story is entertaining, and the gameplay is pretty fun but can be a little repetitive after a while. I definately think it's worth 30 bucks.

#10 WhoKnowsWho

WhoKnowsWho

Insert Custom Title Here

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2006 - 05:50 AM

How did this one sneak by all the normal CAG posters too? I saw it and thought there was no way that was the right price since I didn't see anybody post it on the forum!
Posted Image

#11 Roufuss

Roufuss

is now a coupon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2006 - 06:02 AM

How did this one sneak by all the normal CAG posters too? I saw it and thought there was no way that was the right price since I didn't see anybody post it on the forum!

Well, I definitely appreciate you saying something... I'm downloading this humongous demo while I sleep and if I like it, I will definitely swing by EB to get it in the morning.

Posted Image

#12 WhoKnowsWho

WhoKnowsWho

Insert Custom Title Here

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2006 - 06:21 AM

Well, I definitely appreciate you saying something... I'm downloading this humongous demo while I sleep and if I like it, I will definitely swing by EB to get it in the morning.

My room mate got me the game for Christmas, just the regular $50 edition. And then we found this, so we will probably return the as of yet unopened $50 version if we can find another EB/GS with the limited edition. I guess I should install it to find out if I even like it! :D
Posted Image

#13 geoelectric

geoelectric

Posted 27 December 2006 - 07:52 AM

It's a good game. Like someone else said, it's "kill crap, go to next room". Has a fairly nice physics engine, and there was a performance patch that fixed a lot of the initial issues.

LE for $30 is a good price.

#14 Gara

Gara

Gao Gao Stegosaurus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:03 AM

The game has been out awhile but it's only recently that they released a patch that (they claim) actually lets you play 5 minutes without crashing. I ended up waiting a couple weeks for that patch then returning it. If you look on their forums they added a new rule, if you talk about returning the game to the store they ban you.

Edit: It looks like they removed that sticky. It was there for awhile though

air_ep_05_1026.jpg

#15 geoelectric

geoelectric

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:05 PM

I never had that issue...which isn't to say it doesn't exist, but it's by no means universal.

#16 Kayden

Kayden

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:28 PM

I did have a strange issue. Whenever I took out a weapon or picked something up, the screen went black. I went about killing things by kicking them into spikes for a few minutes until the game crashed.

I restarted the game and it worked flawlessly until the end.

#17 Roufuss

Roufuss

is now a coupon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2006 - 05:20 PM

Ok, so the demo was fun, but one last question:

I know the game uses the Source engine, but is it in any way tied into Steam? I ask this because I am really opposed to Steam and, at this point, won't buy any product that uses it.

I loved buying retail copies of Half Life Episode 1 and Sin Episode 1, selling them to my friend, and the RETAIL copies won't work since I already used them once.

So if Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is Steam free, that would be awesome.

Posted Image

#18 zsgamer

zsgamer

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2006 - 06:52 PM

The game associates itself with steam when you install it but you can also just play with the disc without running steam.

#19 Roufuss

Roufuss

is now a coupon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2006 - 06:54 PM

The game associates itself with steam when you install it but you can also just play with the disc without running steam.

But what I want to know is the game resellable? Does Steam completely lock the game down once you install and use the CD key?

Half Life Episode 1, even the retail copy, you can ONLY use it once on one computer and have to pay something like $10 to reset the key. IMO, that's bullshit.

Like, can I play through the game, and when I'm done with it, sell to my friend and they can also play it? Can't do that with any of Valve's products.

Posted Image

#20 geoelectric

geoelectric

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:40 PM

I'm pretty sure it's Steam locked. Multiplayer requires playing through Steam (but MP sucks, so no big loss there).

#21 Roufuss

Roufuss

is now a coupon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:11 PM

I'm pretty sure it's Steam locked. Multiplayer requires playing through Steam (but MP sucks, so no big loss there).

Wow... bullshit.

Guess I'm passing for now, I really hate the fact that Steam locks up retail copies this way. I could see if I downloaded it digitally, but I'm not, I'm essentially paying for a copy of the game that's worthless once I install it since well, I'm stuck with it forever.

I'm assuming you're right because there are 0 used copies on Ebay, too.

I guess I'll skip on the $30 DVD edition and wait until the game is dirt cheap someplace, since I can't resell it when I'm done with it.

Posted Image

#22 lord_ebonstone

lord_ebonstone

failing sanity checks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:26 PM

You can transfer a Steam-based game's access key from one Steam account to another, but it costs $10.
Posted Image

Anyone worse than me is a total noob;
Anyone better than me has no life.
-Gamer's Mantra

#23 Roufuss

Roufuss

is now a coupon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:32 PM

You can transfer a Steam-based game's access key from one Steam account to another, but it costs $10.

Yea, that just makes it more of a hassle to sell the damn game, and at that point I'll barely make anything.

Valve told me I could do that for Half Life 2 Episode 1, but I paid $8 for the game to begin with, so I'm paying MORE then what I paid originally just to get rid of it.

I just like the option of having the ability to sell the game if it's short, I end up getting bored of it, it dosen't run well on my computer, etc etc etc. I played the demo, and I liked it, but the full version could get boring halfway through and then what?

I'm stuck with it, unless I pay $10 to transfer the stupid access key. I didn't care when just Valve did this stupid shit, but now they've got Ubisoft doing it too? If this is the case I will just step back from PC gaming for good if they're going to get more companies on board with this type of thing.

Posted Image

#24 Springheeled Jack

Springheeled Jack

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:50 PM

I've yet to find Steam's nasty handywork in the game. I haven't played multiplayer, but I don't think it uses Steam either. I think it uses something called Playlinc (that's what my icon says for running it, anyway). Not sure. Don't care about the multiplayer.

But as a single player game, I freakin' loved it. It's certainly not for everyone, but it is without a doubt one of my favorite FPS I've ever played. Multiple endings, lots of ways to kill people, decent story (stolen from Bioware and dumbed down for the masses, but still...). I've played through it several times, and loved each time more than the last. Note: The harder levels make the game much more fun, so start off on at least medium.

Well worth $30. Hell, I'd have payed $50 if I would've known how good it was before I found the LE so cheap.

#25 Kayden

Kayden

Posted 27 December 2006 - 11:30 PM

When I installed DM, I didn't have to run steam, but then I didn't play MP nor did it come from... official channels.

#26 Roufuss

Roufuss

is now a coupon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2006 - 11:32 PM

If anyone who has a second PC, if they can install it and see if it'll run on a second PC then I'll head out tonight to grab this.

Posted Image

#27 lord_ebonstone

lord_ebonstone

failing sanity checks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2006 - 11:43 PM

When I installed DM, I didn't have to run steam, but then I didn't play MP nor did it come from... official channels.

Same here.

Roufuss, if Steam really bothers you, technically you could go buy the game and then peruse these... less than official channels in order to install the game Steam-free. Technically that's within your legal rights as a consumer, since you'd actually own the usage rights to the game data.
Posted Image

Anyone worse than me is a total noob;
Anyone better than me has no life.
-Gamer's Mantra

#28 zsgamer

zsgamer

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:18 AM

If anyone who has a second PC, if they can install it and see if it'll run on a second PC then I'll head out tonight to grab this.

Ok, I just installed this on another computer and steam is only required for multiplayer. I installed just the single player and it installed and loaded up just fine.

#29 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:47 AM

I called a bunch of nearby EB's and GameStop's, all which had the game ringing up in their PC at $59.99, not $29.99. All of the stores I asked said the same thing: they believe it's an online only special. So, they won't honor that online price.

So, I ordered it online -- there's a free saver shipping code floating around, too.

Free 5-10 Day Shipping from EB w/ this coupon until Dec. 31st -- SAVER

Saves me a trip from going out to drive and get the game -- especially since the stores are probably packed (since they are all in malls and plazas, nearby).

Plus, I don't need the game ASAP, since I'm already in the middle of two long RPG games -- NWN2 and GW: Nightfall.

#30 Roufuss

Roufuss

is now a coupon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2006 - 01:54 AM

Ok, I just installed this on another computer and steam is only required for multiplayer. I installed just the single player and it installed and loaded up just fine.

Awesome, thanks a ton. I saw this too late, as my EB is closed now, but I will head over there tomorrow some time to pick a copy up.

This way when I'm done, I'll just sell it to my friend a few bucks cheaper.

Posted Image