Steel Battalion for $100 at gamestop/eb

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 fatbeer

fatbeer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:15 AM

After obtaining both resident evil 4 chainsaw controller for playstation 2 and gamecube.I was curious what other accessories drop in price.I asked employee price check steel battalion,the thing one that comes with big controller for xbox and it rang up $100.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Kromis

Kromis

Für das Vaterland!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:34 AM

WOW! How much is it regularly?

#3 Gara

Gara

Gao Gao Stegosaurus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:36 AM

I'm surprised your local store actually still had one of these monster units. It was brand new?
Posted Image
My Dvd Collection - My Trade List
Check out my tradelist for many rare anime titles.

#4 YoshiFan1

YoshiFan1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:39 AM

WOW! How much is it regularly?

$200

#5 fraggedbylaggers

fraggedbylaggers

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:42 AM

There is one at my local eb for $100 too. Is it worth it?
Posted Image

#6 SDC

SDC

OMFG PINKU

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:44 AM

I had the pleasure of playing it once... I wasn't terribly into it, but if I had a shot to buy it for $100 I'd probably do it.

#7 fraggedbylaggers

fraggedbylaggers

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:46 AM

Ok. Second question: Do you think if I keep it NIB it will go up in value in a few years once it becomes even harder to find?
Posted Image

#8 coolsteel

coolsteel

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:49 AM

I know of an eb not too far away that has two , but for 100 bones I would pass, I think the ebay prices are a bit under that on a regular basis.

#9 dracula

dracula

i'll buy that for a dolla

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:52 AM

I know of an eb not too far away that has two , but for 100 bones I would pass, I think the ebay prices are a bit under that on a regular basis.

i think the shipping that thing is expensive as hell tho. Still it is not even close to being worth $100. $40 or $50 would be tempting, but not $100.
"If it ain't fifty cents then I dont want it."

http://www.cheapassg...171#post1074171

Posted Image

#10 Frank784

Frank784

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:56 AM

Ok. Second question: Do you think if I keep it NIB it will go up in value in a few years once it becomes even harder to find?

Doubtful. Its been out at least 5 years. I don't see its value going up now that the price has dropped after being out for so long.

#11 STATIC3D

STATIC3D

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:57 AM

I see it regularly sell on ebay for around 125 to 150.

Strange for $100 thou at EB/BS. A local EB had one a little while back (may still have it) and only wanted $50 for it (controller, game, manual, case, but no ammo cardboard box). Some of the paint on the surface was a bit worn (near the left throttle and around a couple of more often used buttons) so I passed, as I would rather have one is good shape (that way if I wanted to part with it on ebay I would have a better chance of selling one in good condition).

One local movie/game store (not EB/GS) has had them and sells em for around $100 too. There is another store, but I'm not sure how much they charge for em (need to check next time I go by there).

"is it worth it", I think it's a toss up. I was interested in picking one up (and may still do so "some day"), but, it's definitely one of those harder core items for Mech game fans. From what I've seen, the game is slower paced (think Chrome Hounds as opposed to Mech Assault or even GunGriffon). Due to the large amount of screen taken up by the inside view of your mech, the actual view space for gameplay is a bit less. Keep in mind that multiplayer requires System Link (one setup for each XBOX), or, the Line of Sight sequal/expansion for Live play (if anyone is still playing the game online).

Oh, be sure if you are playing the game, do NOT shut off your XBOX until a mission is finished/saved/etc. If you do, the game ERASES your save (just like if you die in the game, you gotta start ALL over...yeah, it's a hardcore game that way).

Now, as all of that sounds sorta "meh", there definitely is a COOL factor associated with a 40 button HUGE desktop mech controller and pedals used to operate the game.

I'm planning on eventually picking up several original XBOX consoles and using System Link to hook them together so we (as a family) can play some of the cool games that support System Link gameplay. And, even if I eventually do this, I doubt there would ever be a chance to run across that many Steel Battalion setups...lol. :}~~~
"To expect mercy from your enemies is to accept defeat!"

#12 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:01 AM

it is really too bad Capcom took out the sever for the expansion pack.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#13 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:02 AM

IIRC, they shut down the servers for the online game. That means, you are almost guaranteed to be playing with yourself.

I'd probably pick one up if I could get it for $50. I've never been a mech fan myself, especially if they are slow going. (And they are.)

#14 Trebuken

Trebuken

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:08 AM

Word is you can set it up to work with some Mechwarrior and similar PC games with a PS2 controller adapter for your PC and some fan created drivers.

#15 dracula

dracula

i'll buy that for a dolla

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:15 AM

Word is you can set it up to work with some Mechwarrior and similar PC games with a PS2 controller adapter for your PC and some fan created drivers.

how is that even possible?
"If it ain't fifty cents then I dont want it."

http://www.cheapassg...171#post1074171

Posted Image

#16 CrimsonPaw

CrimsonPaw

Professional Cheapass

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:33 AM

how is that even possible?

I would imagine that it would work if you had the device to plug your XBox controller into a USB port.

#17 crewj

crewj

from peru to cebu

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:40 AM

ahh... luckily i got this one free off a bet from an ex-girlfriend with my then current girlfriend at the time!

i'd love to hook this thing up on the projector i got at my place. too bad it's been in storage for the last 2+ years.

#18 Boss★Moogle

Boss★Moogle

てぃもの魂の伴侶

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:48 AM

$200

untrue, I bought mine almost 2 years ago at EB and it was $150 regular price

#19 Kapwanil

Kapwanil

You: Harm / Us: Nuke

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:52 AM

Or, if you're insanely lucky, you can find a copy in EB without the controller for a whopping $7.18 after tax (at least in NY). That's how I ended up with my copy.

Sure, it's entirely and utterly unplayable without the controller, but during the holiday season the controller itself was going for around $55 to $70 by itself after shipping, which still isn't too bad. Luckily my brother has a controller and one is all we really need. I'll wait a while until someone accidentally lets one go for a bit cheaper.

#20 ananag112

ananag112

CAGS FOR COCO!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:00 AM

I see this used at my local EBgames for $75 or so
Posted Image

#21 Darkside Hazuki

Darkside Hazuki

Inextinguishable.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:18 AM

OBJECTION!

It was $200 originally. The game shipped on November 21st, 2002. It was already two years old when you bought it.

#22 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:18 AM

Well, when it first came out (when I got mine) it was 200 bucks. Worth it in my oppinion (look at my avatar though, it's a game about giant robots, I'm kinda biased :) )

Haven't checked in a while, but there may still be people playing on Kai though, even though the "official" servers were closed.
For Sale: Like New/Opened Once Japanese Transformer 2010 Reissue Predaking http://www.cheapassg...291#post2498291

yourfree360games referal: SIGN UP AND GET FREE 360 games with easy and free (or dirt cheap) trial offers
http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=233445

#23 pop311

pop311

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:21 AM

Is the game any good?

#24 lurknomore

lurknomore

Selling my stuff....

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:41 AM

Is the game any good?

I bought it at $150...and it's $50 good, if that includes all equipment...including the pedals. Don't forget the pedals, as they are commonly not traded-in. Anyhow, the controller is rather cheaply made. I was surprised at how cheap the plastic felt. I still enjoy it in my collection though.

#25 MightySlacker

MightySlacker

RANCH! RANCH! RANCH!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:51 AM

If you can find it at a Gamecrazy store, I believe I saw one marked at 89.99. Didnt have time to get that price checked

Dave
*SUPER DUPER INTERNET CELEBRITY SUPASTAR~!* TM.

#26 cag1000

cag1000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:45 AM

I still have mine sealed in a factory Capcom shipping box. One day i'm gonna pop that bitch open. Wish online didn't die though they should make it 360 compatible. I'm still looking for the guide though so if anyone has one for sale PM me.

#27 rarebucky

rarebucky

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:51 AM

If anyone can't find one of these at EB I have one that's absolutely dead mint that I would sell/trade (and I won't let it go for less than $100).

#28 richdmoore

richdmoore

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:25 AM

Here is a link I found about hooking it up to a pc instead of a xbox:
http://c_mcbride.tri...controller.html

#29 Diiz

Diiz

calm like a bomb

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:16 AM

I dont like mech games generally, but I got a good deal on this (at the time) a while back. Needless to say, it had no impact on my opinion of mech games except perhaps to alienate me from them even further. I sold it soon after trying it.
Posted Image
MIDGARDSORMR
[75]WAR◆

I am a leaf on the wind,
Watch how I soar.

#30 minos1067

minos1067

Remember 'Game Stuff'?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:18 AM

havn't played mine for more than a year. now i have a 56" dlp and am thinking bout it at 1 in the morning of hooking it up. sick. i've always liked mech sims since i was younger. is souther california - pasadena, they used to have this place where they had networked games, like a dave n busters place, in old town pasadena, they had a 12 - 16 network mech sim and the players sat inside these mock mech cabins/seats that were totally enclosed with big screens. back in the days....

you'd have to love gaming to appreciate steel battalion, otherwise, don't waste your time. not for everybody.