CAG Foreplay #27: X is the New CKS (1/1/08)

shipwreck

Staff member
Feedback
91 (100%)
CAG's shipwreck & mrs. shipwreck preview the new releases for the week of January 1st, 2008. Oh wait, there really are none, so we decide to discuss the games that were new to us this holiday season. Plus... you know you needed something to get you through that first day back at work.

You can now subscribe to Foreplay on iTunes by clicking this link: CAG Foreplay on iTunes

You can also contact us with any questions or comments at [email protected] or [email protected].

CAG Foreplay Podcast show notes will be up later today. (Who am I kidding?)

Special thanks to www.GoDaddy.com for providing CAG Foreplay listeners with a code for 10% off any purchase. Just enter code "CAG" when you check out to get your savings.

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/foreplay/cagforeplay27.mp3[/media] [digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAG_Foreplay[/digg]

There really wasn't any need for a write-up this week as the only games rumored to come out are horrible, terrible Wii games that we've berated in the past. I guess we could have written up the downloadable games, but I decided to eat some leftover dessert instead. - ship

2121929443_2bdde1ef3a.jpg

finally Shippy! hope you had a good holiday ^^

edit: o wait, still not on iTunes yet, i will listen to it tomorrow then

Instead of calling India, you can set up your repairs online and it takes all of 2 minutes. It's way less of a hassle. Hopefully you will get a Falcon like I did and you probably won't ever have to call 'Alvin' again.

What was the name of the game you were talking about towards the beginning that took you 3 hours to finish, but there are still 3 more characters to beat it with?

Hi Shipwrecks! Happy New Year! I heard about the Xbox Live Arcade gamertag problem and I told it to one of my friends, who now is worried that his referbed 360 wont be able to play his Arcade games after Microsoft turns off Live. Microsoft should also take the hard drive and reassign the games to the new console. When you get your 360 back, you should give it to Mrs. Ship so that she can finish Puzzle Quest.

i h8 when they tell u to go through the trouble shooting steps its fucking broken theres no way in hell unplugging will gucking help it get back from the grave

I have Bubble Bobble on Taito Legends for Xbox. Now Rastan is a game that I loved the music to. Have either of you guys used that for podcast intro music?

It is no wonder your 360 RRoD'd. Putting it in a cabinet like that, even if you open the doors, is asking for trouble. I predict a shorter than normal lifespan for that PS3 as well.

Great to hear the show again even if there weren't to many new games to talk about. OMG OMG Mrs Shipwreck when I heard that PuzzleQuest was pretty much broken I felt so bad for you. The game reqires a lot of time, effort and for that to happen just plain sucks. What will you do? My copy is on DS highly recommend

Like you, I am tired of seeing SMG on GOTY lists.
It's a good game, everyone admits that but it's not GOTY worthy.

It's just not that innovative, and feels so familiar and becomes loathsomely repetitive very quickly (even for die hard Mario fans). I think much of it's acclaim rises from the nostalgia of our familiar and beloved plumber. That nostalgia vaults it past the level of it's actual worth above truly groundbreaking games like OB/portal and Bioshock.

I think if "Mario Toilet plunger and Luigi Drain Snaker" game out with wii-mote motion functionality and a "scratch and sniff" card it would win GOTY from mediocre game-blog sites like Kotaku.

I totally agree with your assesment of Call Of Duty 4 and Mario Galaxy. My game of the year is Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

[quote name='Jackal888']I totally agree with your assesment of Call Of Duty 4 and Mario Galaxy. My game of the year is Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.[/quote]

I totally agree with you great game played it through twice loved every mintue of it

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Like you, I am tired of seeing SMG on GOTY lists.
It's a good game, everyone admits that but it's not GOTY worthy.

It's just not that innovative, and feels so familiar and becomes loathsomely repetitive very quickly (even for die hard Mario fans). I think much of it's acclaim rises from the nostalgia of our familiar and beloved plumber. That nostalgia vaults it past the level of it's actual worth above truly groundbreaking games like OB/portal and Bioshock.

I think if "Mario Toilet plunger and Luigi Drain Snaker" game out with wii-mote motion functionality and a "scratch and sniff" card it would win GOTY from mediocre game-blog sites like Kotaku.[/quote]

Yeah, because Bioshock is very innovative and not repetitive. :roll:

Portal is where it's at.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']What was the name of the game you were talking about towards the beginning that took you 3 hours to finish, but there are still 3 more characters to beat it with?[/QUOTE]

That was Draglade for the DS. It's a pretty fun game, not amazing, but fun.

[quote name='GF_Eric']It is no wonder your 360 RRoD'd. Putting it in a cabinet like that, even if you open the doors, is asking for trouble. I predict a shorter than normal lifespan for that PS3 as well.[/QUOTE]

The 360 has been in that cabinet for over 2 years and functioned perfectly that whole time. I agree with your first sentence though. :)

I tend to keep my consoles pretty well vented. (Ask mrs. ship who always asks if she can shut the cabinet door yet.)

Am I the only one who's having problems getting it to come up in iTunes? It tells me that the feed isn't working....

Edit: Not sure why, but it's not coming up in the feed on iTunes, but if I go to the store to download it that way, it works just fine...oh well, at least I'll get to listen to it soon!

/tk

Love the show!!! New listener, got all the old shows on my Zune and in the process of going through them. Cant wait for the next show.

I don't see the appeal of Bioshock or SMG. Both are more of the same. Both have cool moments and abilities at time, but they are what they are. What average games should be.

[quote name='yukine']Yeah, because Bioshock is very innovative and not repetitive. :roll:

Portal is where it's at.[/quote]

More so than SMG or Drake's. Portal is the most innovative game of the two but it lacks the aesthetic, voice acting, atmosphere, and depth of Bioshock. I didn't find Bioshock at all repetitive, except for the mini-game.

[quote name='shipwreck']That was Draglade for the DS. It's a pretty fun game, not amazing, but fun.

The 360 has been in that cabinet for over 2 years and functioned perfectly that whole time. I agree with your first sentence though. :)

I tend to keep my consoles pretty well vented. (Ask mrs. ship who always asks if she can shut the cabinet door yet.)[/quote]

Drill some 2 1/2 inch vents and put some USB powered fans in there.
30455-01-500.jpg

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1177&cookietest=1

I use to keep my 360 is a similar cabinet and after all the reports started to flood out about 360 death I ended up buying a none enclosed stand for my consoles. I still cross my fingers every time I boot up my launch 360.

I saw a Ghost Squad arcade machine at the Jersey Shore over the holidays. Thought about playing it but at 1/20th (a dollar) of the Amazon price made me go play the crane machine.

Possible fix for your Puzzle Quest:

Mrs. Ship: Not sure if someone else has posted yet, but I have the same problem with PQ as you do, with it not showing me having the full version. I sent my 360 to MS a few months ago and got back a new one, with the same hard drive, and now I always have an "unlock full game" button on my menu. However! If I simply click that button and then select "download again", while in-game, it will reload the game and the unlock button will be gone, and I can play/save just fine. I usually have to do this every time I start PQ, but it DOES work! This may not work for you since you bought the game on a different account, but hopefully it does.

edit: I should also mention that it is important to select "continue" rather than "play now" after you select "download again". Selecting continue will shoot you straight back to the menu, where "play now" will make the game restart and you'll have an unlock button again.

similar experience to your UPS story. I walked in to my UPS location and the store manager smiled at me. Not more than two steps towards the counter, the manager said "360?"

"Heh....so...how many do you get in a week?"

"WOW. Probably ship out 8-10 a week".

I don't know what their coverage area is...but holy moley in a matter of two seconds I went from shocked to not surprised to sad.

Couple of weeks later my xbox 360 returned to me. As the UPS driver handed it over I said "So how many of these do you see in a week?"

"Too many duuuude. Toooooo many."

so good to hear your voices again, shipwrecks. ^.^

Shippy, congrats on getting the Elite. i didn't know about that Puzzle Quest problem with the 360. that really sucks. i'm surprised they haven't done anything about it.

Shippy, i hope you enjoy Mass Effect and I hope you get Uncharted soon. I LOVED both games. :D

I really think Microsoft should just overhaul their Digital rights software.
It's frankly bullshit that you can't play a game you paid for unless your the gamertag that bought it. They should just include all gamertags the hard drive it's on and not just one gamertag and the original console that's going to red ring.

Thanks to everyone for the outpouring of sympathy in regards to the red ring of death on the 360 and the sad, sad news that I cannot play Puzzle Quest. :cry:

welcome back! I love your podcast, it keeps me sane on most monday mornings when I drive to school. Sorry to hear about the 360, a call to MS support and ask about MS points so you can re-buy your XBLA games could help. Oh yeah was that really Shipwreck posting comments on Consumerist about gamestop not updating their price stickers on Digital Devil Saga?

[quote name='ryanredzie']welcome back! I love your podcast, it keeps me sane on most monday mornings when I drive to school. Sorry to hear about the 360, a call to MS support and ask about MS points so you can re-buy your XBLA games could help. Oh yeah was that really Shipwreck posting comments on Consumerist about gamestop not updating their price stickers on Digital Devil Saga?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I saw that and couldn't believe that they ran that as a story, so I thought I'd pop in there and help clear up what was actually going on.

[quote name='limaceous']x has always been the new cks...that is why a sinlge twix bar is known as a twick.[/quote]

Goes back even farther with the baseball teams using Sox.

[quote name='mrs. shipwreck']Thanks to everyone for the outpouring of sympathy in regards to the red ring of death on the 360 and the sad, sad news that I cannot play Puzzle Quest. :cry:[/QUOTE]

Did you happen to try what I suggested in my earlier post? Scroll up a bit :)

bread's done
Back