Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
I don't understand the appeal of the Collector's Edition. :)

Reasons I was interested two days ago:

1) Didn't expect sealed copies from 1995 to be floating around

2) Had no clue Nightdive or Ellison sold them previously and recently

3) Didn't want the game bad enough to search ebay (and assumed they'd be all used copies)

4) This was before I saw the $100 price and quantity of 10 for Windows

Hi, so tell me if this is a sound idea or if I'm just wasting time and money if I go through with it.

There are quite a few LRG games that I wish I bought back in the day. Obviously now most of these games are OOP and only obtainable via ebay and other second hand markets at crazy prices. I keep waiting for some of these prices to come back to earth but that day of reckoning doesn't seem to be coming any time soon.

The only reasonable way I can see myself picking up some of these games is by having trade bait. I'm thinking that going forward I pick up two or three copies of what I want and using the other copies to trade for older games. Obviously I know that not all games are created equal and some won't be nearly as sought after as others, but I feel like I should be able to exchange stuff like Super Meat Boy and Axiom Verge 2 for decent older games.

The one thing I have going for me is that I don't have any interests in the CE's only the regular cases/cartridges. 

Crazy idea or not?

Hi, so tell me if this is a sound idea or if I'm just wasting time and money if I go through with it.

There are quite a few LRG games that I wish I bought back in the day. Obviously now most of these games are OOP and only obtainable via ebay and other second hand markets at crazy prices. I keep waiting for some of these prices to come back to earth but that day of reckoning doesn't seem to be coming any time soon.

The only reasonable way I can see myself picking up some of these games is by having trade bait. I'm thinking that going forward I pick up two or three copies of what I want and using the other copies to trade for older games. Obviously I know that not all games are created equal and some won't be nearly as sought after as others, but I feel like I should be able to exchange stuff like Super Meat Boy and Axiom Verge 2 for decent older games.

The one thing I have going for me is that I don't have any interests in the CE's only the regular cases/cartridges.

Crazy idea or not?
Not sure that's a great idea... people that want the newer games are likely just going to buy them from LRG, either because they want them or because they see their previous purchases are now worth way more. Sure there's a chance they miss a game they want and seek a trade for it, but even if you had the game they want, you'd also need to be sure they have the game you want. You're playing a speculative game in a already speculative market. You could end up with a ton of games that you don't even want.

I've been collecting for 15 yrs now and all I can tell you is, buy want you want/can afford. If you miss something, move on but remember that it doesn't hurt to keep looking. I have terrible luck with deals/finding hidden gems but even I can say I get lucky every now and then (found a used/complete Yakuza Collection Day One Edition for $60). Spoil yourself when you can but otherwise, IMO, your plan will prob just end up with you having a bunch of games you don't want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure that's a great idea... people that want the newer games are likely just going to buy them from LRG, either because they want them or because they see their previous purchases are now worth way more. Sure there's a chance they miss a game they want and seek a trade for it, but even if you had the game they want, you'd also need to be sure they have the game you want. You're playing a speculative game in a already speculative market. You could end up with a ton of games that you don't even want.

I've been collecting for 15 yrs now and all I can tell you is, buy want you want/can afford. If you miss something, move on but remember that it doesn't hurt to keep looking. I have terrible luck with deals/finding hidden gems but even I can say I get lucky every now and then (found a used/complete Yakuza Collection Day One Edition for $60). Spoil yourself when you can but otherwise, IMO, your plan will prob just end up with you having a bunch of games you don't want.
Agree with this. Buying what you want to play is the best course. Buying to "invest" or trade can be a fool's errand. Buy to play!

Agree with this. Buying what you want to play is the best course. Buying to "invest" or trade can be a fool's errand. Buy to play!
I would say if you find ye olde amazing deal of some obscure game for $5 that's really worth $500, then yeah, go for it. But don't pre-order unknown games, released in unknown quantities, and expect to capitalize on it in a few years.

I love scrounging for deals. Paying $100+ for $3 digital games made from a FOMO manufacturer is nuts.

Paying $40... well, I guess, maybe...

All good points. Thank you

Production Status changed to On Deck: 
Titles by Production Status:
  • In Production: 191 (84.9%)
  • On Deck: 34 (15.1%)

Titles by Estimated Ship Date:
  • TBD: 119 (52.9%)
  • August 2021: 35 (15.6%)
  • Q3 2021: 11 (4.9%)
  • Q4 2021: 10 (4.4%)
  • July 2021: 7 (3.1%)
  • 2021: 5 (2.2%)
  • October 2021: 3 (1.3%)
  • December 2021: 1 (0.4%)

Agreed. Especially since the market is so artifically inflated with resellers. People think that just because it's a limited release it automatic 200% mark up. One can argue that the eariler releases can go for some bucks manily because they caught everyone off guard, but by now most people know about LRG ect. Also since they made 99% of the releases now a pre-order(which I whole heartly agree with btw) & not a fixed amount thats dilutes the resale value more & then you add on copies made for Best Buy. Everyone thinks that every release could be the next Breach & Clear, they're not going to. If you have patience & are dilligent you can snag most of them for a reasonable price.

Best example I can give you is myself. Since acquiring a Switch I've been trying to aquire a few LRG games I passed on for various reasons. The best example I just nabbed a sealed Double Switch CE for $40 bucks. That's less than what LRG sold it for when it was released. That's less than what 99% of people trying to sell the standard edition for. So I got a CE copy when I just wanted a standard copy for my Switch.

I've also been trying to get a copy of Carrion. Most want $70 to $90 for a standard when they're actually going for $45 to $55. I'm more than confident that I'll eventually get a copy in my price range given enough time. Of course there's always a exception. I'm looking at you Switch copy of Bloodstained CotM 1.

Anyhow it's not like I don't have 100+ sealed games to keep me occupied & I only play Monster Hunter & poker, day in & day out. HAHAHhahahaha............

patrick-stewart-double-facepalm.png

A sentiment that the more experienced will usually share. Video game's are terrible for investment speculation. Even highly experienced and knowledgeable collectors with decades of watching the industry and its various trends can't reliably inform you of what the collector's market is going to blow up about next. Everything is a crap-shoot, nothing is certain. And worst of all, it takes the better part of 20 years for most games to begin "appreciating." Just look at the recent copies of I Have No Mouth. That title has been a cult title for decades, and is only just now beginning to get more mainstream exposure. Copies of it were worth pennies on the dollar for the longest time.

Don't buy games to speculate for re-sale. Just buy what you like. Buy to support a developer you favor. Buy to maintain a physical copy of a historically significant title. There are plenty of better reasons to engage with this hobby.

A sentiment that the more experienced will usually share. Video game's are terrible for investment speculation. Even highly experienced and knowledgeable collectors with decades of watching the industry and its various trends can't reliably inform you of what the collector's market is going to blow up about next. Everything is a crap-shoot, nothing is certain. And worst of all, it takes the better part of 20 years for most games to begin "appreciating." Just look at the recent copies of I Have No Mouth. That title has been a cult title for decades, and is only just now beginning to get more mainstream exposure. Copies of it were worth pennies on the dollar for the longest time.

Don't buy games to speculate for re-sale. Just buy what you like. Buy to support a developer you favor. Buy to maintain a physical copy of a historically significant title. There are plenty of better reasons to engage with this hobby.
Definitely a lesson some on this website should learn.

HOWEVER: Even though this wasn't necessarily the person who said this' point, you really should BUY WHATEVER YOU WANT when it comes to limited releases because in 97% of the cases they either A: Go up in value or B: become harder to find, and I don't say either of those from a reselling point, but from a point where you can buy a game you may only have little interest in, end up not liking/not wanting it, and selling it while getting all of your money back. This option is far better than skipping something, playing it down the line, and then regretting passing on a physical copy while they increased 2x.

I've also been trying to get a copy of Carrion. Most want $70 to $90 for a standard when they're actually going for $45 to $55. I'm more than confident that I'll eventually get a copy in my price range given enough time. Of course there's always a exception. I'm looking at you Switch copy of Bloodstained CotM 1.
Not sure if you saw, but Carrion is getting a physical PEGI release. You can either easily buy that for $30-$35, or can chance it to see if that will decrease demand for the ESRB copies.

Interested in picking up Haven. I wonder if there is any big performance gap between the PS4 and PS5 versions for a game like this. Anyways, I'll just pick up the PS4 version as I want to play it!

I don't have a PS5 and probably won't for a few years, or at least until there are more big releases ... and the console can be easily found - zero interest hunting for one.

I buy niche games that go out of stock and OOP all the time. Probably 50% are worth about what I paid maybe a little more a little less. 20% are worth about 2 times what I paid or more. The rest are less or way less than I paid, and this is niche stuff people actually collect like RPGs and such. They have the highest hit rate, and it's still relatively low. I made up these percentiles, but it's probably close. I agree about don't buy unless you want to support. Also some games just are always worth more like generally the Oddworld games, Jak and Daxter (limited run type games only), Shantae and some visual novels like House in Fata Morgana (most are worth a bit less than you would pay). Don't play the speculating game unless you want to play the game. That diminishes the value about 20-30% of course, but you get to actually ENJOY the games. Nonetheless I have way too many sealed games and should create a plan to play more of them.

Sure, but the game was originally released in 1995, so if you really wanted it, you've had 26 years to buy a copy. Heck, up until a few years ago, sealed copies were super cheap on Ebay.
I'm really not trying to sound like an asshole but......none of those are options anymore. This is the first time outside of a computer magazine in the 90's I've even seen advertising for a physical copy of the game.

I think the idea is crazy. It'll be ages before you get the games, years before you know if they are worth anything more than you paid (with a strong chance they will not be). Then you have this pie in the sky notion that your gamble will result in a perfect trade for the game(s) you actually want. In the future you'll also face that the rare games that are worth more now could continue to skyrocket and thus all your purchases may not even cover one trade if you find a dealer at a trade show or something.

Don't do it. Either buy the games you want and pay the up charge now... or change your mind and either don't even bother with those games or just suck it up and go digital. During sales you can pretty much get the entire Shantae series on switch for around the cost of one new release game. That to me seals the deal for that the series if I want to play one of the games I missed to just go digital.

People always like to wag a finger at the idea of digital because Scott Pilgrim got pulled from digital stores back in the day. But, for all the people that bought it.. they still to this day have access to their copies. It only got delisted for new purchases. If you buy the games you actually want in the first place, it's unlikely you'll end up in this situation. I still have it on my PS3. But the hype surrounding it being delisted even got to me and made me almost buy it when LRG first sold the game. But I resisted and I'll resit it again when Best Buys copies pop up for sale. I played the game maybe three times since I bought it. This is the metric that I should be looking at when buying games. If I won't put the time in to play the digital copy, I don't need a physical copy.

I'm really not trying to sound like an asshole but......none of those are options anymore. This is the first time outside of a computer magazine in the 90's I've even seen advertising for a physical copy of the game.
I stand by my point. If it was really important to you to own this game, you've had 25 years to buy a copy. I get that the LRG sale may have reminded you that it existed, but all they were doing is clearing old stock that others tried to clear out for literally two decades and they do still have plenty of MAC copies available. The game has been available on GoG since 2013 and can be purchased for $6 if you just want to play it.

I stand by my point. If it was really important to you to own this game, you've had 25 years to buy a copy. I get that the LRG sale may have reminded you that it existed, but all they were doing is clearing old stock that others tried to clear out for literally two decades and they do still have plenty of MAC copies available. The game has been available on GoG since 2013 and can be purchased for $6 if you just want to play it.
I already mentioned I bought a digital copy, are you just moving the goal post?

The point I was trying to make is that you were mentioning why it's desired now when it could be purchased cheaper in the past doesn't mean anything unless you had access to a time machine.

Last year literally tons of games I've been wanting to purchase shot up in value due to the pandemic. An arbitrary label like 'important to me' doesn't mean much of anything considering the sheer volume on my wishlist makes it a constant process of finding bargains, usually when I'm reminded a title exists and I'm in the mood to play it.

Not sure if you saw, but Carrion is getting a physical PEGI release. You can either easily buy that for $30-$35, or can chance it to see if that will decrease demand for the ESRB copies.
No I did not know of that, thanks. I'll more than likely go that route for a copy then.

Does anyone know when if and when Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game Fan Bundle will be out ?
Pretty sure I heard the holdup right now on a lot of the scott pilgrim stuff is that record. Not sure at all if that's all that's holding that version up but people have been getting the lower end collectors versions (classic edition?) in the last few days. So at least that portion of the Fan Bundle should be available. There are so many other parts... the record might not be the only part holding it up.

The amount of WayForward merch they're putting out is just wild. Glad for those who want it, I guess, but it kinda feels like WF should just open their own webstore at this point.

Do people want it? I guess the merch is selling, or they had everything ready to go whether the first bit of merch sold or not. Who are these Shantae super fans? I'd genuinely like to meet them.

And for the record I do like the series. I have a few titles for Switch and other Nintendo systems (and Vita!). And I do play as Shantae in 'Runbow.' I just don't want all this crap.

Do people want it? I guess the merch is selling, or they had everything ready to go whether the first bit of merch sold or not. Who are these Shantae super fans? I'd genuinely like to meet them.

And for the record I do like the series. I have a few titles for Switch and other Nintendo systems (and Vita!). And I do play as Shantae in 'Runbow.' I just don't want all this crap.
I don't know what qualifies as a superfan but these days, fandom for some franchises are pretty insane. I love Shantae and to be honest, I'm only buying a lot of Shantae stuff because I'm also a collector.

I don't really love River City anything so... even though I'm a collector, I have no plans to buy River City Girls stuff tomorrow (already have the NS release).

Is there any difference between today's Double Dragon / Kunio-Kun game release and the World Classics Collection released a couple years ago? Games are the same right? Same amount of English translation?

Is there any difference between today's Double Dragon / Kunio-Kun game release and the World Classics Collection released a couple years ago? Games are the same right? Same amount of English translation?
Yes, same games with the same translation. You don't need this one if you have that one.

The other version also has the English translation... as well as Japanese, Korean, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese...

This is essentially the same version but with different print art.
Is that correct? I thought only the US titles in the collection had the English translation in the European releases and the Japanese games were not translated. The Japanese games were localized for the first time in the Western digital release of what LRG is now releasing physically.

Is that correct? I thought only the US titles in the collection had the English translation in the European releases and the Japanese games were not translated. The Japanese games were localized for the first time in the Western digital release of what LRG is now releasing physically.
I think you might be right, I thought I read somewhere that the JP and Asia versions either came with the english translations or had a patch but I can't find anything to support this.

So... I stand corrected. Sorry if this misled anyone. This then is the version you want (or wait and see if BB is going to get it).

My Switch Classic Edition of Scott Pilgrim apparently finally shipped last week for me, I had ordered the trading card pack with it, which had been holding it up. So if anyone had that holding it up, check your account. I never had a shipping email, I just happened to log into my account and see it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Informed delivery USPS showed me a package from DHL, and I guessed LR. I was wrong, it was Gamefly. Scott Pilgrims has been sitting and waiting at ready for 2 weeks now.
Okay, thanks. I'm waiting for my standard Scott Pilgrim and Ground Zero: Texas to ship. SP has been ready for quite a while, but GZ:T has been "On Deck" for about a month now. I got an e-mail telling me it was "shipping soon" just a few days shy of a month ago and the status at the time of this writing says "Estimated Shipping Date: July 2021" so who knows what's going on...

LRG getting monster boy CE, 4999 copies for switch, 1020 for ps4

https://twitter.com/fdg_games/status/1427591038072508427?s=21

bread's done
Back