Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Senran Kagura sold out in like two days? I thought "no purchase limit" usually meant they just took as many orders as possible for a certain period of time and then manufacturing would just make as many as needed? Has this changed? Surprised to see an item with no limit sell out so fast.
Their email did say limited copies, with the word "limited" highlighted. I think they stopped 3DS production so I'm guessing this was like leftover stock they found.

Last edited by a moderator:
Their email did say limited copies, with the word "limited" highlighted. I think they stopped 3DS production so I'm guessing this was like leftover stock they found.
Well they should limit "limited" copies then... Seems odd LRG just selling a company's leftovers, especially since XSEED has its own online store.

This was a reprint of 3500 copies. It was going to be a standard edition, but Xseed had enough of the bonus items that were able to make it the Double D edition.

This was a reprint of 3500 copies. It was going to be a standard edition, but Xseed had enough of the bonus items that were able to make it the Double D edition.
Interesting... but also seems odd they'd have so many extra bonus items, including the outside box.

Hi, my name is astrotide and.. I'm a limitedrunholic.

It's been 336 days since my last order.

I obviously am still waiting to receive it.

I've been tempted to place a new order several times but my sponsor slapped me until I didn't order anything.

I did go ahead and order Shredder's Revenge standard edition on amazon, using the Amex 40% off promotion my card gave me, for a total cost of 20.99 + tax and free shipping... which is half the price I would have paid to Limited Run, and I didn't even have to give amazon a free loan and pay at time of order. I was vaguely tempted by the $200 Turtles collectors edition on the limited run site, but I realized the stuff included didn't really appeal to me, even as a TMNT fan. Plus I got burned bad on that Streets of Rage 4 set... thing was giant and I had no place I wanted to store it and I ended up selling it at a $60 loss and it only took a year to sell.

And why is Limited Run charging $5.79 to ship a single video game with no box? I mailed one out in a bubble mailer a few weeks ago and I paid under $4 for first class mail.

Sorry I'm being slapped again.

So if I ever get my last order I placed 11 months ago, I can finally let go of the anxious pit of despair that hovers like a cloud of doom, laughing and pointing.

See you all at the next meeting.

So if I ever get my last order I placed 11 months ago, I can finally let go of the anxious pit of despair that hovers like a cloud of doom, laughing and pointing.
That nagging stress hanging over a preorder that is paid in full but is taking so long to be fulfilled... it is great I haven't had that in over a year. Worse is almost every one of those things I ordered I would end up regretting the purchase. Makes it easy to talk myself out of new games that LRG gets.

That nagging stress hanging over a preorder that is paid in full but is taking so long to be fulfilled... it is great I haven't had that in over a year. Worse is almost every one of those things I ordered I would end up regretting the purchase. Makes it easy to talk myself out of new games that LRG gets.
If it makes you feel even better, you don't even have to preorder to have to wait. LRG apparently isn't in a rush to ship distribution product that is just sitting in their warehouse, either. I decided to just order that Treasures of Aegean CE from them since they'd at least ship it in a box whereas when I tried Amazon - no surprise - they shipped it in an envelope. My hope had been maybe LRG would have supplied them to Amazon pre-boxed. Nope. I wonder who eats the damaged returned product in that scenario.

But, that order was placed a few weeks ago. Right now, I do think of it as another LRG pre-order. I'll just be surprised when it arrives.

Hi, my name is astrotide and.. I'm a limitedrunholic.

It's been 336 days since my last order.

I obviously am still waiting to receive it.

I've been tempted to place a new order several times but my sponsor slapped me until I didn't order anything.

I did go ahead and order Shredder's Revenge standard edition on amazon, using the Amex 40% off promotion my card gave me, for a total cost of 20.99 + tax and free shipping... which is half the price I would have paid to Limited Run, and I didn't even have to give amazon a free loan and pay at time of order. I was vaguely tempted by the $200 Turtles collectors edition on the limited run site, but I realized the stuff included didn't really appeal to me, even as a TMNT fan. Plus I got burned bad on that Streets of Rage 4 set... thing was giant and I had no place I wanted to store it and I ended up selling it at a $60 loss and it only took a year to sell.

And why is Limited Run charging $5.79 to ship a single video game with no box? I mailed one out in a bubble mailer a few weeks ago and I paid under $4 for first class mail.

Sorry I'm being slapped again.

See you all at the next meeting.
I package random eBay games better than limited run packages their stuff, because I know eBay buyers will open a case against me if I shipped it like they do. It's really pretty sad

If it makes you feel even better, you don't even have to preorder to have to wait. LRG apparently isn't in a rush to ship distribution product that is just sitting in their warehouse, either. I decided to just order that Treasures of Aegean CE
The shipping cue kills the deal for me on stuff like that.

Oddly, I was just looking at that game (the standard version) a few days ago as it was listed for sale through gamefly and I had never heard of it. I might grab it when the digital version goes cheap... it looks pretty solid.

I package random eBay games better than limited run packages their stuff, because I know eBay buyers will open a case against me if I shipped it like they do. It's really pretty sad
I've always packaged games the way I'd want to receive them... often that meant going a bit overboard with the bubble wrap and packaging tape.

Hopefully didn’t miss a post about this earlier but glad as hell they are making a physical copy of Doom Eternal for Switch (seen it for the first time in an ad for what’s coming in my email).

Hopefully didn’t miss a post about this earlier but glad as hell they are making a physical copy of Doom Eternal for Switch (seen it for the first time in an ad for what’s coming in my email).

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1545510145647591438?s=20&t=S8h2JDP29NzqwcC_DSvFBQ
Awesome! I've been hoping this would get a physical Ps4 version for forever. Maybe now Full Throttle has a chance too. Not at all interested in the Collectors barf though.

Yeah, just found the potential symbolism and analogy amusing.  If it’s modeled after Barf in the game, that’s one thing.  If it’s just some generic gag store stuff that’s been sitting unsold, that LRG decided to throw in the box, that would be a new low.  It probably is a new low anyway, but even more so.

Yeah, just found the potential symbolism and analogy amusing. If it’s modeled after Barf in the game, that’s one thing. If it’s just some generic gag store store stuff that’s been sitting unsold, that LRG decided to throw in the box, that would be a new low. It probably is a new low anyway, but even more so.
The Vita Super Meat Boy CE is pretty hard to beat on a garbage to weight ratio being pretty much a 1 since that game was bad, too.

https://twitter.com/DesertRetro/status/1547634498824654848

https://twitter.com/Theswweet/status/1547702537926504448

Not a good look lately.

https://twitter.com/DesertRetro/status/1547634498824654848

https://twitter.com/Theswweet/status/1547702537926504448

Not a good look lately.
I guess I don't understand how the internet works or I missed something there.

It appears that if you direct message someone on the internet, you're a "stalker"? So, Josh or Doug messaging someone directly to try and solve their problem with LRG makes them look bad?

That just reads to me like someone on the internet feels attacked because the person they anonymously complained about actually responded directly to them and that became an invasion of privacy.... or something.

Maybe I should tweet something about that in-stock distro title I ordered almost a month ago to see if Doug/Josh want to "stalk" me and help me get it to ship. I won't complain.

On a side note, I just noticed a bunch of LRG e-mails about soon-to-be-shipped product in my spam folder. I guess there's more about to ship than I thought (including the Casltevania Fan Bundle). And, of course, there was also some came I have zero memory of. I don't even remember what it was now. I'll just let myself be surprised.

I guess I don't understand how the internet works or I missed something there.

It appears that if you direct message someone on the internet, you're a "stalker"? So, Josh or Doug messaging someone directly to try and solve their problem with LRG makes them look bad?

That just reads to me like someone on the internet feels attacked because the person they anonymously complained about actually responded directly to them and that became an invasion of privacy.... or something.

Maybe I should tweet something about that in-stock distro title I ordered almost a month ago to see if Doug/Josh want to "stalk" me and help me get it to ship. I won't complain.

On a side note, I just noticed a bunch of LRG e-mails about soon-to-be-shipped product in my spam folder. I guess there's more about to ship than I thought (including the Casltevania Fan Bundle). And, of course, there was also some came I have zero memory of. I don't even remember what it was now. I'll just let myself be surprised.
Assuming you're talking about the second tweet series, there's more context to it and it's probably not all in the chain so that's my bad.

The guy who Doug kept DMing is SeafoamGaming. He was a big LRG fan from early on, and was relatively close to Josh and Doug. They bought the Shiren PC version from ages ago and were the main one that publicized the issues with it - namely, that it included a download code rather than the jewel case and game disc that it was advertised to have. In the wake of the noise he made, Josh made some tweets that were conspicuous (either via intent or poor wording):

https://twitter.com/SeafoamGaming/status/1547661987621900290

Meanwhile, Doug started DMing him asking how they (LRG) could make it up to him and his answer was (perhaps obviously) getting the game case and disc that were promised. They eventually got him a jewel case, but supposedly lost the rights to the game itself and have since been unable to produce a disc. So LRG pissed off Seafoam by not delivering what they advertised, and it created friction between people who were formerly on good terms. Bridges burned and bad blood all around.

Since that time, it's come out that LRG knew about the code-for-disc swap months in advance and sent nothing to the affected parties, despite it sitting for a month in their warehouse while other stuff shipped out. Between the time the games were packaged and delivered was approximately three months, with absolutely 0 communication. To LRG's credit, when things did blow up they did produce the empty jewel cases and refunded people, but you can imagine how the additional detail coming to light would galvanize an already tense situation.

Since then, Seafoam has been very publicly critical of LRG (a la this article: https://seafoamgaming.com/2021/11/25/limited-run-games-quality-control-is-out-of-control/). For a long time, Doug and Josh had blocked Seafoam and then last month (after about eight months), Doug started reaching out to Seafoam via DM when he'd tweet about LRG, and would occasionally subtweet the issues Seafoam was commenting on:

https://twitter.com/SeafoamGaming/status/1547064273817436160

From Doug's perspective I imagine he was just trying to mend the issues, and I don't know that I'd personally use the word "stalker", but it does come across as very tonedeaf and socially inept.

Seafoam's experience was mine pretty early into the companies life.  There's nothing stranger than offering suggestions for how to improve the company after issues are brought up and rather than them falling on deaf ears or getting a basic thanks and be done... they stalk you and try to call you out in other places.   For Seafoam, he became a collector thanks to LRG... and I went the other way and stopped collecting vita completely and narrowed my focus for physical games going forward.   I didn't do that because of a personal grudge with LRG... but because the crap to quality ratio was way off early on and there was no way in hell I was going to buy a ton of garbage games at full price to keep collecting for the vita and have a full set.

That's actually a great point, I had about 90% of a full vita set before LRG started and they broke me of that PDQ. I refused to support such a trashball company and it helped me be more honest about whether I really wanted to keep collecting video games.

That's actually a great point, I had about 90% of a full vita set before LRG started and they broke me of that PDQ. I refused to support such a trashball company and it helped me be more honest about whether I really wanted to keep collecting video games.
Well, we've gotten to the point where there is no real such thing as "a complete set" any longer. So hopefully that helps people past that mental hurdle.

There are so many independently printed games now, perhaps even some private commissions, that you can't even list them all definitively. That's why I don't understand why there are still so many "complete set" collectors out there. It's hazy at best. Certainly not something that could be universally agreed upon. Plus we are region-free now so you could count all those EU and Asia-English imports. You wouldn't discount some of the best games or physical releases. There is no definitive set anymore.

There is no definitive set anymore.
While I overall agree, I had thought of doing just USA released vita games as my definition of a "full set". The set was small... almost as much as the Dreamcast (in the usa). It was quite reasonable in price for all but a handful or so titles. Then LRG came along and I wasn't going to be able to just do all USA releases... especially with other limited print companies popping up. I could have dialed back to just retail releases but it was easier to quit while I was ahead.

Well, we've gotten to the point where there is no real such thing as "a complete set" any longer. So hopefully that helps people past that mental hurdle.

There are so many independently printed games now, perhaps even some private commissions, that you can't even list them all definitively. That's why I don't understand why there are still so many "complete set" collectors out there. It's hazy at best. Certainly not something that could be universally agreed upon. Plus we are region-free now so you could count all those EU and Asia-English imports. You wouldn't discount some of the best games or physical releases. There is no definitive set anymore.
There's nothing collectors are better at than making huge lists and defining sets.

Right now the rule of thumb seems to be, no esrb logo, not part of the set.

Just look at how much esrb copies of games sell for compared against their pegi or cero counterparts.

I think its a case of LRG being the company equivalent of the dog finally catching the car. 

They minted a great concept and got some good stuff, but they chased the dollar instead of the ideal.

It takes a lot more time, effort, and commitment to stick to high quality releases refined by fan feedback versus finding anyone who would put their $1.99 special in a box with a bunch of plastic tat.

What's more, is that there have been plenty of side-talk, like the infamous Bird King release, that suggests they've never really been above board.

Limited print releases was a great concept for fans to get physical (aka forever) copies of games they loved, but was spun into physical of every game ever, quality be damned.  To a select few, that's enticing, but they are so blatantly a FOMO company now, it should not come to a surprise to anyone when their quality continues to drop.

I hope that Vita Super Meat Boy CE was a big enough wake up call for most people, IMO.

I'll still gladly use their retail release channel for stuff I want, but I likely won't pre-order anything and certainly never a collectors edition.

There's nothing collectors are better at than making huge lists and defining sets.

Right now the rule of thumb seems to be, no esrb logo, not part of the set.

Just look at how much esrb copies of games sell for compared against their pegi or cero counterparts.
My copy of DNA Factor for GBA is from the UK and does not have an ERSB logo on it but I like it. It kinda matches the older JP games that were before the ERSB.

gzf5o1h35fb91.jpg (1898×1868) (redd.it)

Doug did (is doing?) an AMA on the LimitedPrintGames subreddit.

One thing I wasn’t aware of that was brought up is opening a European office. They’re also looking into putting a small down payment rather than paying the entire price of a game upfront.
He also mentioned the potential for rereleasing popular sold out games (ie. Shantae Pirate’s Curse, River City Girls) for other regions, as that would not count as an ESRB reprint. I actually applaud his recent efforts at transparency, and his general honesty with some of LRGs shortfalls. I don’t agree with everything LRG does, but I have to acknowledge that it is definitely a challenge to try to appease everyone. If they can learn from their past mistakes, and make efforts to prevent significant issues from occurring again (Doom DRM, Shiren PC), I personally can forgive things like production delays that are likely out of their control. I would definitely support expanded transparency on their website with information sharing of issues they are actively trying to address.

Doug did (is doing?) an AMA on the LimitedPrintGames subreddit.

One thing I wasn’t aware of that was brought up is opening a European office. They’re also looking into putting a small down payment rather than paying the entire price of a game upfront.
They also mentioned using other regional offices as ways around the "no reprint" thing. Which I kind of have mixed feelings about - more availability is always good, but I don't think it's going to sate the collector's market who are going to want ESRB copies. Actively admitting to looking for ways to circumvent customer commitments also doesn't feel great, even with "good" intentions.

I'll believe change when I see it, though. For years they mentioned they were going to slow down. They committed to rolling out a new rewards program after the previous two didn't work out. Committed to not doing convention versions of Switch games, to limiting their Switch publishing velocity, etc. It does seem like they're aware of a lot of the issues, which is nice, but even if they started enacting change today it likely wouldn't manifest for over a year given how extensive their backlog is.

The transparency is nice, but far overdue. The pessimist in me thinks this is a PR tour to combat the bad rep and declining sales they're seeing. I'd like to see them improve, but I am extremely skeptical based on how they've acted the past several years.

I still think they cannot slow down because they've over committed, and due to cost escalation, need new pre-orders to fund the completion of older titles.

Plus the fact they now have a retail storefront for supposedly being so limited...

Stuff doesn't add up, to me.  My question is when are they going to land more big boy games and not stuff I have never even heard of on Steam, let alone Switch.  And I have 1600+ games on Steam and have reviewed over 4000 more in my queue...

I still think they cannot slow down because they've over committed, and due to cost escalation, need new pre-orders to fund the completion of older titles.
Funny thing is, that's how a Ponzi scheme works. Not saying LRG is, but it's amusing. Also saying this will piss off Josh who is most definitely still reading this thread.

bread's done
Back