Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Uhh ... no.

If you're seriously suggesting that it's mysogenistic because an industry that has a long, long (long-long) history of sexualizing and objectifying women, dressing them in all sorts of revealing attire (compared to male characters), and frankly still does, is being "mysogenistic" because some are now consciousnessesly trying to take steps to NOT portray or show them that way ...

No, you don't understand what that word means. If you do, you're misconstruing the word entirely by ignoring the history of the industry.

This is an industry that encouraged its journalists to "Maxim" its magazines, sell games using lesbian ads, sell a console by revealing a price on a bikini-clad girl ... and still suffers from story after story of sexual abuse and harassment from male leadership to female workers.

No, it's not mysogenistic for a game company to take steps (even extra ones) if it wants to avoid any suggestion of sexualizing or objectifying women.

This industry has a serious problem here, and it needs to grow a pair and admit it.

We've all seen companies take some steps to address some of these issues. I think all of these, whether in box art, character design, etc. are good efforts; they are the absolute opposite of mysogeny. It's being respectful and selling a game based on the GAME.
This sounds like something my conservative grandpa would say. I'm assuming you're an older, straight male because you sound exactly like one of the conservatives that wanted to censor heavy metal music back in the 1980's. I am a progressive person so maybe it offends you but I believe in equality and that censorship is wrong. There's all types of women and if you notice in real life some women like to dress sexy, some don't and there's nothing wrong with either opinion. Not to mention you are being disrespectful of other cultures that are not as conservative as western ones are where people wear more revealing outfits on average and no one gets all worked up about it. If you're saying that women are only allowed to be portrayed in one was as a man then yes you are being a misogynist and fascist because you're saying that women should look and act the way you want and that's the only correct way. Yes, the industry does have a problem and it has to do with companies censoring content and fascists trying to decide what is appropriate or not based on their own personal opinions. Not to mention you are going way off topic with your political rants. Make your own topic on this if you still want to debate because this is the LRG thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds like something my conservative grandpa would say. I'm assuming you're an older, straight male because you sound exactly like one of the conservatives that wanted to censor heavy metal music back in the 1980's. I am a progressive person so maybe it offends you but I believe in equality and that censorship is wrong. There's all types of women and if you notice in real life some women like to dress sexy, some don't and there's nothing wrong with either opinion. Not to mention you are being disrespectful of other cultures that are not as conservative as western ones are where people wear more revealing outfits on average and no one gets all worked up about it. If you're saying that women are only allowed to be portrayed in one was as a man then yes you are being a misogynist and fascist because you're saying that women should look and act the way you want and that's the only correct way. Yes, the industry does have a problem and it has to do with companies censoring content and fascists trying to decide what is appropriate or not based on their own personal opinions. Not to mention you are going way off topic with your political rants. Make your own topic on this if you still want to debate because this is the LRG thread.
Sure, and talking about censorship in a videogame forum and saying it's mysogenistic isn't political.

Last thing I'll say is that I find it hilarious that you called me conservative. Last I checked the "progressive" and "woke" liberals are the ones censoring games and covering up bikinis. Hilarious.

Back to topic.

Doug - any chance you guys might look into bringing a little 2019 gem called Arise: A Simple Story to a physical disc? Would love to have that one as a retail release.

Sure, and talking about censorship in a videogame forum and saying it's mysogenistic isn't political.

Last thing I'll say is that I find it hilarious that you called me conservative. Last I checked the "progressive" and "woke" liberals are the ones censoring games and covering up bikinis. Hilarious.

Back to topic.

Doug - any chance you guys might look into bringing a little 2019 gem called Arise: A Simple Story to a physical disc? Would love to have that one as a retail release.
Because it was a direct question to Doug (not to a random guy like you) about a product he's selling and Doug actually answered the question in a mature way. Did you just admit to wanting to censor games, by the way? Are you also offended by art masterpieces because they contain nudity in them? If you still want to discuss it then take it to the PM's because once again, you're going way off-topic here and the questions were meant for Doug, not you. Last time I checked he's the only LRG employee here and he answered my question. Thankfully, he made it clear that LRG does not censor covers or content to appease misogynists, fascists, etc.

This is literal nonsense. These are artistic renderings of fictional women likely by male artists, not real women who are choosing to be photographed in a certain manner. Publishers have a right to decide what cover art they choose to use, just like you have the right to buy the product or not. Claiming that it is in any way misogynistic for a company to decide not to use fictional artistic renderings of women that they deem to be exaggerated or that overemphasize cleavage or certain body parts is the height of absurdity. Again, these aren't real women and nobody is telling real women anything. Moreover, you are literally doing what you claim fascists do which is to decide what is appropriate or not based on your personal opinion and not leave open the possibility for other perspectives or opinions that differ from your own. By the way, this is a discussion forum for individuals interested in Limited Run Games, not your private channel to Doug. Feel free to communicate with Doug directly by PM rather than cluttering up this discussion forum with your garbage.

This is literal nonsense.  These are artistic renderings of fictional women likely by male artists, not real women who are choosing to be photographed in a certain manner.  Publishers have a right to decide what cover art they choose to use, just like you have the right to buy the product or not.  Claiming that it is in any way misogynistic for a company to decide not to use fictional artistic renderings of women that they deem to be exaggerated or that overemphasize cleavage or certain body parts is the height of absurdity.  Again, these aren't real women and nobody is telling real women anything.  Moreover, you are literally doing what you claim fascists do which is to decide what is appropriate or not based on your personal opinion and not leave open the possibility for other perspectives or opinions that differ from your own.
This is not only wrong but irrelevant. Doug already spoke, he said that they don't censor content. End of story.

This is not only wrong but irrelevant. Doug already spoke, he said that they don't censor content. End of story.
Doug explained the process and that they may have to change the box art depending on the ESRB feedback. So, yes, like all publishers, they censor based on the ratings process and the platform owner's parameters to get to a product that they can actually release. Doing so is not misogynistic in any way no matter how you try to redefine that concept.

Doug, will the cover for the Neo Geo Pocket Color Selection Vol. 2 be censored by LRG again like they did with the first game? For some reason LRG censored the original art work which is uncensored on the import versions by cropping the characters so the female character's chests are covered for some reason, along with the Metal Slug being removed. Was this because of the ESRB or was it your decision to censor the cover, which seems misogynistic to me considering you targeted the female characters? Between the year plus wait times on games and censorship on a company that claims to be about preservation, I'll go with the import versions on games in the future if this type of censorship and unreasonable wait times continue.
Is this guy serious? Or trolling? Can’t tell.

Doug explained the process and that they may have to change the box art depending on the ESRB feedback.  So, yes, like all publishers, they censor based on the ratings process and the platform owner's parameters to get to a product that they can actually release.   Doing so is not misogynistic in any way no matter how you try to redefine that concept. 
Doug explained that it's not him or LRG making that decision, it's based on another company basically strongarming them into complying with their personal opinion otherwise they won't get the rating logo on their box. He said that he does not personally censor the games. I don't care what you say, but singling out one gender and marginalizing them based on what I'm assuming are the opinions of a few straight dudes at the rating board is completely misogynistic and will get called out especially since this wasn't done in other regions with the same exact game. But yeah, next time I'm having a conversation with Doug I'd appreciate if you would just stay in your lane because he explained it just fine.

Pretty sure it's a troll that used to have another account that was banned.  He's only been a member here for a month or so and magically he seems to know the entire history of this particular sub-forum.
First the people on here accused me of working for the company which is a lie and then I'm accused of being a previous member which is also a lie. I also don't know the entire history of this forum nor have I claimed to so there you go, another lie. It sounds to me like you're the one who is a troll. I guess anyone here who doesn't act like a toxic jerk to the LRG founders are trolls.

Doug explained that it's not him or LRG making that decision, it's based on another company basically strongarming them into complying with their personal opinion otherwise they won't get the rating logo on their box. He said that he does not personally censor the games. I don't care what you say, but singling out one gender and marginalizing them based on what I'm assuming are the opinions of a few straight dudes at the rating board is completely misogynistic and will get called out especially since this wasn't done in other regions with the same exact game. But yeah, next time I'm having a conversation with Doug I'd appreciate if you would just stay in your lane because he explained it just fine.
Again, this isn't your private forum. You post here and everyone gets to read and comment on it. Also, you quite simply don't understand what it is to marginalize or be marginalized if you believe in any way that altering renderings of women that were designed to overemphasize their breasts and other body parts is misogynistic. The ESRB actually has a very diverse staff and is led by a woman as well as several other women executives. So, no, it's not all about what some white straight males think.

First the people on here accused me of working for the company which is a lie and then I'm accused of being a previous member which is also a lie. I also don't know the entire history of this forum nor have I claimed to so there you go, another lie. It sounds to me like you're the one who is a troll.
You are one deeply sick and deranged person if this isn’t an act. You just outed yourself as a massive pervert.

Again, this isn't your private forum.  You post here and everyone gets to read and comment on it.  Also, you quite simply don't understand what it is to marginalize or be marginalized if you believe in any way that altering renderings of women that were designed to overemphasize their breasts and other body parts is misogynistic.  The ESRB actually has a very diverse staff and is led by a woman as well as several other women executives.  So, no, it's not all about what some white straight males think.  
Doug made it clear that he and LRG don't choose to censor games or the covers. It doesn't matter who works for the ESRB if they make decisions that are misogynistic and choose to censor artwork from cultures that are not theirs, which is prejudice.

Good to see this thread is back on track and by on track, I mean way off the rails as usual.

The shocking part is what actually kept it on the rails was LRG Doug posting. Cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria, etc.

You've seen a woman in real life?!?! I thought they were a myth!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1CvTlQSrYY

So much drama over cartoon cleavage on some cover art (and not actual game censorship).   I'm sure cartoon characters everywhere are rejoicing at being stood up for in their representation to the public.  Well at least the female characters showing cleavage.  There's no outrage at all for the tank or the three fully clothed characters that got cut.   I guess they don't deserve representation as they aren't sexy enough.

/s

So I received A Boy and His Blob today. My art card came kind of bent. The "instruction manual" is only 1 page folded in half. It just tells you about the companies and controls. It has nice inner box art. But the manual art, the card art, and box art are all the same. I guess they got limited materials to use as promo.

But I heard this game is good so I'm not sobbing.

So I received A Boy and His Blob today. My art card came kind of bent. The "instruction manual" is only 1 page folded in half. It just tells you about the companies and controls. It has nice inner box art. But the manual art, the card art, and box art are all the same. I guess they got limited materials to use as promo.

But I heard this game is good so I'm not sobbing.
Yeah they went from manuals with every numbered switch release to cheaping out on the past year. Pretty disappointing shift and even the basic 10 page ones for stuff like windjammers was better than the flip pamphlets you get now. Enjoy the game! It’s pretty charming and I still need to pick it up on steam

Just a question since you guys now do book publishing (and I don't think you would respond to the Q on Twitter), any plans to make new guides for old games? Or possibly games you have sold in the past? I'm a big fan of physical strat guides so I was thrilled when you guys started making them.

Holy crap.

The order I have been waiting 16 months for got a tracking number AND the carrier has the package.

...There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call... The Limited Run Zone.

Assorted people are reporting the june code for future konami titles isn’t working for the Arcade collection: YMMV here. They did announce a vinyl though which would make the first time Arcade Haunted Castle songs got put on vinyl. https://limitedrungames.com/collections/all-soundtracks/products/arcade-classics-anniversary-collection-lp-vinyl-soundtrack

https://mobile.twitter.com/crypt_tom/status/1591093926089281536 Those keychains from last year’s Turok drops are finally arriving, though pretty small. Pogs look like they turned out OK even if they also took ages.

Looks like Day of the Tentacle PS4 and XBX versions are back (or still?) up for preorder, even though I think the preorder window was supposed to be closed in early Sept.

Thought some folks might want to know in case they missed it!

Took me several days to catch up but Damm was that worth it. My favorite thread.

I'm excited for NGPC vol 2 or any snk stuff really.

Such a shock & treat to see Doug posting on here again.

Looking at the javascript a few hrs before the last chance items closed, Radiant Silvergun did pretty well, no surprise: the others didn’t hit MOQ at all though, so the standards will likely get amazon’d due to being distro. (That Kemco PS5 game was under 1K but iirc 1K is MOQ anyhow and they just round up…)

Particularly poor selling was that undead darlings game, especially on PS4: only a few hundred!

Looking at the javascript a few hrs before the last chance items closed, Radiant Silvergun did pretty well, no surprise: the others didn’t hit MOQ at all though, so the standards will likely get amazon’d due to being distro. (That Kemco PS5 game was under 1K but iirc 1K is MOQ anyhow and they just round up…)

Particularly poor selling was that undead darlings game, especially on PS4: only a few hundred!
Rumble Fish 2 already got listing on Target and Amazon for preorder, so that one should be fine.

Not right, not sure why you still bother when you don't purchase anymore :p

Already explained the code situation!

Not right, not sure why you still bother when you don't purchase anymore :p

Already explained the code situation!
Come on, Doug. You're the COO of a multi-million dollar company. Surely you have better things to do during business hours than calling out a current or former customer during for providing data that your company, for whatever reason, decides not to (despite the "salted" version being readily available from your site).

Come on, Doug. You're the COO of a multi-million dollar company. Surely you have better things to do during business hours than calling out a current or former customer during for providing data that your company, for whatever reason, decides not to (despite the "salted" version being readily available from your site).
Just trying to set the record straight is all! :D

Best Buy too, including the collectors edition.
I am kinda shocked to see the collector's edition there though, considering how the last time one was offered at best buy iirc was the Doom 64 one which a lot of people had come in weird/poor shape due to Best Buy packaging (mine was thankfully unharmed) and I remember on the discord at the time they noted they'd refrain from CEs at Best Buy in the future. Then again, this is a distro so it's clear methods for that are different from numbered releases.

Rumble Fish 2 already got listing on Target and Amazon for preorder, so that one should be fine.
Yeah something not hitting MOQ doesn't mean it's not gonna be made, just that when they round up to it the excess will likely be sent to other retailers or those who placed orders. I noticed things that had lower numbers on the site when it closed that finally started to ship to customers and other stores often end up in more quantity, making getting those games stress free (especially if they reprint them like they note they will with some distros). If Gunbrick hits amazon for instance I don't see that one selling out quickly at all.

Trends I generally notice that match what I've been told and seen from others, independent of what the javascript says is that Switch is still the best platform sale wise, Xbox is a very rocky gamble that hasn't done too hot outside of TMNT/RCG2 (still lower than other platforms in general) and PS4 is lower than ever as more move to PS5 stuff. (which is also why Special Reserve dropped SKUs for PS4 and moved to PS5, a shame since I love my PS4 slim and plan to stick by it, but for niche physicals like these I can see why some just prefer to move on) Kbob wanted to know what was up, so this should give a rough idea even if we obviously won't know the exact # to a T

(though considering someone who follows me is running a daily script check akin to what sonicyogurt here did for the production update page before it broke, I can say that for pretty much every open preorder they've tracked there isn't any number manipulation going on at all, as nothing spikes downward or shoots upward in any weird way. Just imagine a smooth typical incline as more people save money to afford what they want, which also matches how I used to save and buy LRG stuff, usually nabbing an open preorder on the last day)

I personally think if LRG cut back on the distro stuff and stopped overflowing that side of things and focus on more excitable titles like Silvergun and whatever Carbon Engine provides, they'll end up exciting people more rather than having stuff underperform, especially if they fix QC flaws. CEs in general I don't think do much to excite folk due to the extreme waits on them and even on social media and in my friend circles most folks are shifting to the standard edition to wait less.

Hey Doug,

What is the feasibility of LRG obtaining rights to sell physical CD versions of video game soundtracks that don't exist in that format?

Specifically, I would kill for a CD copy of Daughter - "Music From Before the Storm" (OST from Life is Strange: Before the Storm), the Beat Saber soundtrack, each geographical region's multi-disc soundtrack for Genshin Impact, etc.

I am kinda shocked to see the collector's edition there though, considering how the last time one was offered at best buy iirc was the Doom 64 one which a lot of people had come in weird/poor shape due to Best Buy packaging (mine was thankfully unharmed) and I remember on the discord at the time they noted they'd refrain from CEs at Best Buy in the future. Then again, this is a distro so it's clear methods for that are different from numbered releases.

Yeah something not hitting MOQ doesn't mean it's not gonna be made, just that when they round up to it the excess will likely be sent to other retailers or those who placed orders. I noticed things that had lower numbers on the site when it closed that finally started to ship to customers and other stores often end up in more quantity, making getting those games stress free (especially if they reprint them like they note they will with some distros). If Gunbrick hits amazon for instance I don't see that one selling out quickly at all.

Trends I generally notice that match what I've been told and seen from others, independent of what the javascript says is that Switch is still the best platform sale wise, Xbox is a very rocky gamble that hasn't done too hot outside of TMNT/RCG2 (still lower than other platforms in general) and PS4 is lower than ever as more move to PS5 stuff. (which is also why Special Reserve dropped SKUs for PS4 and moved to PS5, a shame since I love my PS4 slim and plan to stick by it, but for niche physicals like these I can see why some just prefer to move on) Kbob wanted to know what was up, so this should give a rough idea even if we obviously won't know the exact # to a T

(though considering someone who follows me is running a daily script check akin to what sonicyogurt here did for the production update page before it broke, I can say that for pretty much every open preorder they've tracked there isn't any number manipulation going on at all, as nothing spikes downward or shoots upward in any weird way. Just imagine a smooth typical incline as more people save money to afford what they want, which also matches how I used to save and buy LRG stuff, usually nabbing an open preorder on the last day)

I personally think if LRG cut back on the distro stuff and stopped overflowing that side of things and focus on more excitable titles like Silvergun and whatever Carbon Engine provides, they'll end up exciting people more rather than having stuff underperform, especially if they fix QC flaws. CEs in general I don't think do much to excite folk due to the extreme waits on them and even on social media and in my friend circles most folks are shifting to the standard edition to wait less.
This is definitely frustrating since I know for a fact you’re wrong since I have the real data, but it won’t matter next year anyway since the code will be locked. 🤷‍♂️

Hey Doug,
What is the feasibility of LRG obtaining rights to sell physical CD versions of video game soundtracks that don't exist in that format?

Specifically, I would kill for a CD copy of Daughter - "Music From Before the Storm" (OST from Life is Strange: Before the Storm), the Beat Saber soundtrack, each geographical region's multi-disc soundtrack for Genshin Impact, etc.
Feasibility is definitely there!

Guess the Best Buy stuff got sorted out, just got release dates of 11/29 on my preorders for Windjammers 2 and Quake.
Yes, we finally got a hold of them and everything is square again for now.

The reason some publishers are not printing on PS4 is less to do with folks moving on but with them believing that their games have a better shot at big sales in a far less crowded field.

PS4 game sales, btw, are down but not cratering, and it depends on the sorts of games we're talking about. Also, the notion that Switch sells best for third party titles that are also on XBX and PS4/5 is absolutely NOT the case. I too have data on this and that's just not generally true.

This is definitely frustrating since I know for a fact you’re wrong since I have the real data, but it won’t matter next year anyway since the code will be locked. ‍♂
I mean, if you're intentionally diluting the sales of your products I doubt you're doing so in a manner that would make it seem worse because that would potentially be disparaging to your business partners.

You don't owe us anything when it comes to sales data. But if it's something you're passionate enough to argue with Kbob and Seafoam about, y'know what an easy way to put that argument to bed would be? Releasing the numbers.

While it's not something I'm particularly invested in, I do think it's interesting sheerly from a data and analytics perspective. It seems like sales are down overall, Switch is still doing well, and Xbox didn't really catch on. Though I don't really know that any of that is surprising or contrary to broader, non-limprint game sales.

The reason some publishers are not printing on PS4 is less to do with folks moving on but with them believing that their games have a better shot at big sales in a far less crowded field.
PS5 games are absolutely selling more in the industry. 65% of Forbidden West launch week physical sales were on PS5 and the number was 82% for Ragnarok. You could argue that the trend wouldn't be as prolific for non-AAA titles and you'd probably be right, but people really want games for their shiny new toy it seems.

Anecdotally, in the collecting spaces I frequent, a lot of folks are seeing it as a way to get in on the ground floor of collecting for a console rather than having to hunt down expensive titles like Godzilla on PS4 or Pirate's Curse on Switch.

(Not disagreeing with you, just sharing some interesting data)

PS4 game sales, btw, are down but not cratering, and it depends on the sorts of games we're talking about. Also, the notion that Switch sells best for third party titles that are also on XBX and PS4/5 is absolutely NOT the case. I too have data on this and that's just not generally true.
oh yeah in terms of non limprint stuff that's absolutely the case, Switch isn't the best seller most of the time at all, especially in the west. (Switch is the best no contest in Japan though, but then again there's only one handheld and that's what they usually go for...) I mainly mean from a limprint standpoint since I see Strictly Limited, Special Reserve, etc all having switch games sell out before the other SKUs, with PS4 stuff having a lower number made and selling slower.

Though I do think for multiplat stuff that has a PS5 sku, the PS5 ver will usually outsell the PS4 one and that'll keep up as the gen goes on. At the very least it's why SRG didn't put out some PS4 titles, since they skipped PS4 for Gato Robotto, which is a bummer for me since I would have loved the former on PS4 disc. Your general point about a less crowded field is pretty spot on.

I think the hype for Limited Prints in general will die down with a significant looming recession.

While gaming is an evergreen setting, people will save their pennies for cheaper, immediate gratification over releases of $15 indie games at $35+ and two years away.

That's without even being concerned about the constant drumbeat of conflict propaganda with China and Taiwan; if that sparks off, I would anticipate a lot of physical goods are going to be in jeopardy. But I don't think anyone can plan for that; rather, I hope most of the limited print companied have exit strategies involving customer reimbursement (catastrophic insurance?).

The market is getting diluted, more so if you could care less about having an ESRB logo on the box. River City Girls 1&2 will be the litmus test since you can get two games on one cart (hopefully) for less than a single LRG release. People pinching pennies will go for the value over the prestige, I'd bet.

I already do, but I'm a "not normal" collector.

I'm starting the pinching pennies process. I've been informed on my stocks starting to lose value.

Thankfully physical labor will always be needed but my eBay has dropped by 84% compared to last year. Games that would sell in 5 minutes taking days

I like you guys so my best advice is just watch what you're spending and keep track of every finance.

I think the hype for Limited Prints in general will die down with a significant looming recession.
Oh I absolutely guarantee you that sales are down at LRG by a substantive amount.

Revenue and value on collectables is down everywhere, some by an astronomical %. A lot of sales and results were bolstered previously for years due to the stay-at-home economy and the irresponsible spending/investing and crypto boom. Ebay sales are SLOW.

bread's done
Back