New Xbox One X owner- question on 360 games/transferring accounts

Vinny

CAGiversary!
Feedback
216 (100%)
Hello all- I just got a One X (yes, One X, not series X). I bought it used so not sure if that was smart but I haven't seen any major stories about issues with the system so hopefully it's fine. 

I wanted a 4k BD player and given how expensive they are, a used One X seemed like a smart alternative since it can play XB and 360 games, and wasn't that much more. I haven't really been an Xbox person since like... 2007 or 2008, before I ditched XB ecosystem due to constant hardware/MS problems and moved on to the PS family so I'm kind of lost with a few things.

Trying to find answers via Google is ungodly confusing due to the naming conventions so figured I'd just try here. 

1. Is it possible to move accounts from a 360 to the One X using a flash drive? I have my main account for which I have my LIve account or whatever- but I also have some other accounts on that system that I cannot remember the Live emails or log in details for (the accounts themselves have no log or anything, I just sign out of my main account and pick the alternative accounts). 

2. Similar to 1, is it possible to move saves via USB? 

3. Is it possible to install games to the HD like you could on the 360? I don't see an option to like I did on the 360. 

I'll be working off of somewhat old knowledge when I got my XBox One X a couple years back.

1. Yes. It is possible to move your save files from the X360 to XB1. When I did it for Red Dead Redemption 1, I needed a Live Gold account to upload the saves up to the Cloud, and therefore it can be accessed on the XB1.

2. Last I checked, X360 saves could not be moved to the XB1 via USB. See Answer 1.

3. You should be able to install X360 games onto a XB1 hard drive. But the game must be on the backwards compatibility library.

In case if I've missed some things, hopefully this link will help on the subject.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/hardware-network/getting-started-set-up/move-from-xbox-360-to-xbox-one

Last edited by a moderator:
To further clarify, all games must be installed to the hard drive in order to play them (i.e., you can't run the game off the disc).  For Xbox One games, the console will be smart enough to know if you need to copy content from the disc or if it needs to be downloaded.  For Xbox 360 games, just insert the disc in the drive and it should automatically start a download of the game.

Thanks dudes. So far, system seems be ok but... man, I forgot how sssssssssllllllllllooooooooowwwwwwwww traditional HDs are. I gotta replace this sucker with a SSD, luckily I got a spare 1TB HD. 

Sucks I gotta get XBL to transfer my saves but it is what it is I guess. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Somehow I didn't see this before now. I don't know if you mean you need to have XBL Gold to take advantage of cloud saves, but you only need a free XBL Silver account for cloud saves.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/games-apps/game-setup-and-play/cloud-game-saves-faq#:~:text=Do%20I%20need%20an%20Xbox,saved%20games%20in%20the%20cloud.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Interesting, thanks for the tip... I might be doing something wrong then. I didn't really see any way to transfer my saves from Xbox 360 to my One X, but checking my account now (on desktop), I see my One X listed in my account but I don't see my 360.

Interesting, thanks for the tip... I might be doing something wrong then. I didn't really see any way to transfer my saves from Xbox 360 to my One X, but checking my account now (on desktop), I see my One X listed in my account but I don't see my 360.
Any existing 360 saves will need to be moved to the cloud saves option on an Xbox 360 before they can be made available to an Xbox One.

I'm not sure if an Xbox 360 will show up on your account. Can you share the link so I can check mine?

Any existing 360 saves will need to be moved to the cloud saves option on an Xbox 360 before they can be made available to an Xbox One.

I'm not sure if an Xbox 360 will show up on your account. Can you share the link so I can check mine?

I'll try this when I get home.

I am checking my devices here:

https://account.microsoft.com/?ref=MeControl&refd=www.xbox.com

If the link doesn't work, I got to Xbox.com, log in, at the top right I click my avatar and select 'my MS account', which takes me to a dashboard with a devices section.

Thanks for your tip! I finally got around to trying this and it's exactly as you said!!

bread's done
Back