Walmart to start removing physical games

not surprising for Xbox; I'd imagine a large number of Xbox owners have it just for Game Pass

That said, this generation I went with Xbox instead of Playstation. As someone that prefers physical games, this was clearly the wrong choice. I recently bought a PS5 slim and I plan on buying games for PS moving forward.

not surprising for Xbox; I'd imagine a large number of Xbox owners have it just for Game Pass

That said, this generation I went with Xbox instead of Playstation. As someone that prefers physical games, this was clearly the wrong choice. I recently bought a PS5 slim and I plan on buying games for PS moving forward.
I wouldn’t worry too much, PlayStation probably isn’t too far behind Xbox with this.

Nintendo is always the oddball out, maybe they will keep physical media for the longest time out of the big three. That being said, if or when physical games do completely die out, it's going to suck so hard just to have stuff like Limited Run Games for collectors.

Well that's what I would've said, until I realized I was wrong with my point. No physical media slots would mean digital would be the only option. I guess it's either embrace whatever future there is for gaming, or to finish our old-school backlogs.

I wouldn’t worry too much, PlayStation probably isn’t too far behind Xbox with this.
Lol yeah, there's a reason for the $8b lawsuit in the UK against Sony for similar monopolistic reasons Google just lost their suit for. And now, Apple is back in the hotseat in a reversal for class action for the same thing. Point being, if Sony had their way: we'd already be fully digital with them holding complete control over fees and store purchases. MS for once wouldn't be in trouble here.

This is kind of off topic, but I remember when Sony was a bit of an underdog in the space. The PSX (PSOne) was a prime platform to develop for, and everyone from Capcom to Squaresoft brought their franchises and new ideas over. The N64, for all its good games, didn't see the breadth of content the PSX did.

From my perspective, Microsoft's Xbox in the 6th gen felt more like a big dog pushing its way into the industry. Still, the Xbox was a great console, no doubt. The PS2 was a class act, and, to be honest, the PS4 did a great job of securing exclusives. (The PS3 struggled with the Cell Processor stuff, like the N64 struggled with the cartridge decision.)

Now, Nintendo seems the least like a "bad guy" in the industry, and they were a favorite target for all their eShop and online infrastructure shenanigans. Microsoft kept making missteps, like saying the Xbox One was going to be digital only or require the disc for authentication purposes. Between bad decisions and large-scale attempts at buying/merging studios, the whole industry feels so messy right now.

The old days were simpler, let me tell you. Remember when Steam Sales and Half-Life 2 made Valve the underdogs of the 2000's?

This is kind of off topic, but I remember when Sony was a bit of an underdog in the space. The PSX (PSOne) was a prime platform to develop for, and everyone from Capcom to Squaresoft brought their franchises and new ideas over. The N64, for all its good games, didn't see the breadth of content the PSX did.

From my perspective, Microsoft's Xbox in the 6th gen felt more like a big dog pushing its way into the industry. Still, the Xbox was a great console, no doubt. The PS2 was a class act, and, to be honest, the PS4 did a great job of securing exclusives. (The PS3 struggled with the Cell Processor stuff, like the N64 struggled with the cartridge decision.)

Now, Nintendo seems the least like a "bad guy" in the industry, and they were a favorite target for all their eShop and online infrastructure shenanigans. Microsoft kept making missteps, like saying the Xbox One was going to be digital only or require the disc for authentication purposes. Between bad decisions and large-scale attempts at buying/merging studios, the whole industry feels so messy right now.

The old days were simpler, let me tell you. Remember when Steam Sales and Half-Life 2 made Valve the underdogs of the 2000's?
I remember the internet vitriol toward Half Life 2 requiring installing of Steam. That’s been one of my favorite turnaround stories for sure.

I’m a huge Nintendo fanboy, I’ll admit it. They were my first console I’ll always appreciate what they do (except the Wii, still my least favorite system they’ve put out) but even I acknowledge it sometimes feels like they aren’t that far behind the others in some respects, and really just get a nostalgia/feel good type pass for what they do.

Look at all their classics, at one point it was Virtual Console worthy to put these old games out, sell ‘em piecemeal and no subscription. Now, the only way you’re playing these old games is with a subscription, it’s not as expensive or intrusive as the other 2, sure, but if Link to the Past can run on Switch, why can’t I just spend $10 to own it rather than spending $50+ a year to play it on subscription only?

The funny thing is that the subscription is easier to keep track of. Either it's active or it's not. The Wii and Wii U eShop was a disaster. Customers losing their purchases in hardware failures. Games not transferring right. Steam, PSN, and Xbox Live were infrastructures they could have emulated, but Nintendo chose to do things their own way. The problem is that they can't let an easy profit idea go to waste, and owning a game forever across all future consoles doesn't sit well with them.

Nintendo is a weird animal. The Gamecube was a real graphical competitor, but that was the last time Nintendo used that angle. They just decided, "we have the IP's, we have the customers, we'll rule by low prices and gimmicks." The Wii created all sorts of obstacles for developers. They couldn't develop 1:1 across all three platforms, and the Wiimote mechanics were frequently shoehorned in. You had to buy a controller add-on for the Wiimote to get that control scheme but only if the game supported it. Then, the Wii U and the 3DS came out with little fanfare. They had to work their way up from a false start, but the Switch really put them back on the map. They've really lost the handheld market to mobile, and I think they're feeling that.

What gets to me is the "continued support" line. They always promise it, but Nintendo always bails when they're done. Usually a Zelda caps off the gen, and they shoot over to the next platform. Same MO each time.

I may have been a Nintendo fanboy back in the N64 days, but I feel that Nintendo and Rare did all the heavylifting for that console. The N64 was at least part debacle by not making the console more enticing to developers and publishers. Seeing all the big names go over to Playstation was an eyeopener, and I stopped being blindly supportive of Nintendo. There's a reason Sony became the champ, but I think Nintendo has course-corrected well enough. I feel like they're gliding now, even with some bad decisions sprinkled everywhere.

lol i have not used physical games like for ages. For me it is not such a big deal because I play onlu online games like Genshin Impact or Dota 2 or LoL. Sometimes of course I play physical games like mahjong (but I would say that I do it when I have a mood to that, most of time I do it at mahjongfree.org ) but I have this game like from the early childhood

Last edited:
bread's done
Back