Photo
- - - - -

The Wii Obscure Facts and FAQ (Version 2.0) *NOW LIVE*

• Please log in to reply
301 replies to this topic

#31 Porygon

Porygon

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:01 AM

Future Wii owner here with a few questions I'd rather get out of the way beforehand (These questions are really stupid, just so you know in advance):

-Is the data associated with the Miis in specific games ONLY tied to the Mii and not the game profile. For example, deleating a WarioWare file, but not the Mii. Would the Mii still retain the WarioWare data? Is it possible to switch the profiles and give a Mii different WarioWare data? Or is it just file deleated- game data deleated.

-Say I send the Primary Mii I use for WarioWare/Wii Sports to my friends house to use as my Primary Mii over there. I realize the data associated with the games dosen't transfer, but if I were to start using my primary Mii over my friends house, and then updated my Mii by transfering it to my friend- the data that it's saved up at my freind's would still remain, correct? Even if the apperence changed via sending the data from my Wii to his.

-Can you change EVERYTHING about Mii's friends send to you? (Down to creator and all)

- Are the Mii creator names anything more than just names on the Miis, do they group Miis by creators ever? Are two seperate Mii creator names with the same name considered different? Basically I'm asking if The Mii Creator names are the closest thing the Wii has to something like Xbox profiles, and I'm curious if you can change from name to name without any harm. Or if they are just little tags and nothing more.

-The Wii home menu is customizable right? I can rearragne VC games and stuff like that in the slots, right?

Thanks!

#32 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2007 - 05:00 AM

Future Wii owner here with a few questions I'd rather get out of the way beforehand (These questions are really stupid, just so you know in advance):

-Can you change EVERYTHING about Mii's friends send to you? (Down to creator and all)

-The Wii home menu is customizable right? I can rearragne VC games and stuff like that in the slots, right?

Thanks!

No, Mii's sent to you are uneditable

Yes you can customize the main screen (after your first sytem update).

#33 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

How shiny are your balls?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:05 AM

-Is the data associated with the Miis in specific games ONLY tied to the Mii and not the game profile. For example, deleating a WarioWare file, but not the Mii. Would the Mii still retain the WarioWare data? Is it possible to switch the profiles and give a Mii different WarioWare data? Or is it just file deleated- game data deleated.
It's tied to the Mii. For example, when you play a game that uses Miis, it'll tell you that you shouldn't delete the Mii if you want to keep the stats associated to it.

-Say I send the Primary Mii I use for WarioWare/Wii Sports to my friends house to use as my Primary Mii over there. I realize the data associated with the games dosen't transfer, but if I were to start using my primary Mii over my friends house, and then updated my Mii by transfering it to my friend- the data that it's saved up at my freind's would still remain, correct? Even if the apperence changed via sending the data from my Wii to his.
If I get your question, you want to know if you change the Mii on your own console and then send it to your friend, who has an older version of the Mii, what happens to the stats associated with it? If that's what you're asking, the new version of the Mii will replace the old version and I believe the stats should be fine. I'm not 100% sure about that, but I think that that's how it works.

It's all locked down like foltzie said.

- Are the Mii creator names anything more than just names on the Miis, do they group Miis by creators ever? Are two seperate Mii creator names with the same name considered different? Basically I'm asking if The Mii Creator names are the closest thing the Wii has to something like Xbox profiles, and I'm curious if you can change from name to name without any harm. Or if they are just little tags and nothing more.
The creator names are basically subtitled tags to the name you give the me. They're not permanent or anything, so you can add them to your Miis or not. Whatever you prefer.

Yep, just press A+B on any of the channels to drag it around to whereever you want it.

Thanks!

I hope that helps.

#34 Porygon

Porygon

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:26 AM

Thanks a bunch, you guys, helped a lot there.

In the mess of all those pointless Mii questions, I actually came up with a practical one...

Say (for whatever reason) I wish to move all my Mii Data from one Wii to another (old Wii is breaking down, etc, etc) Is there any way to do that and retain control over what your Mii looks like? Would you just have to go clean slate there if you wanted to customise your Miis and keep the Wario/Sports data?

Alright, just one more :P
It's mentioned in the FAQ that there are many different ways to transfer Miis, (One way resulting in not having your creator name showing up and such) Will each way of transfering Miis overrite the Miis in the same way, or are there certain times where they duplicate, or it's just a better idea to only transfer them one specific way. (Ex. If I were to transfer and the creator name didn't show up, if I did another transfer where the name should show up- would it and overrite the old one, or would it still not have the name?)

Actually if you can even comprehend what I'm asking in that one you get some points there.

Thanks again.

#35 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2007 - 03:32 AM

Thanks a bunch, you guys, helped a lot there.

In the mess of all those pointless Mii questions, I actually came up with a practical one...

Say (for whatever reason) I wish to move all my Mii Data from one Wii to another (old Wii is breaking down, etc, etc) Is there any way to do that and retain control over what your Mii looks like? Would you just have to go clean slate there if you wanted to customise your Miis and keep the Wario/Sports data?
The only way to transfer Miis easily would be to load up to 10 onto your Wii Remote and then unload them onto the new Mii, though I don't know if you keep control over them, but I'd bet that you do.

Alright, just one more :P
It's mentioned in the FAQ that there are many different ways to transfer Miis, (One way resulting in not having your creator name showing up and such) Will each way of transfering Miis overrite the Miis in the same way, or are there certain times where they duplicate, or it's just a better idea to only transfer them one specific way. (Ex. If I were to transfer and the creator name didn't show up, if I did another transfer where the name should show up- would it and overrite the old one, or would it still not have the name?)
I believe that as long as the Mii's name is the same, it should overwrite the older version that you have. If you pick a Mii from the Parade (friends Miis that weren't sent directly to you), it won't have the creator's name. If you put that Mii in your Plaza and have the same one sent directly to you, the old version should be overwritten and would now have the creator's tag. I think that's how it goes.

Actually if you can even comprehend what I'm asking in that one you get some points there.

Thanks again.

I think those are the answers to your questions.

#36 Scrubking

Scrubking

Feels the Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:10 AM

Can somone please explain how wiiconnect24 works?

If I have it on and send something to a friend who has it off what happens? Do they get it when they turn wii24 on or do they never get it? What happens when I turn wii24 on but turn off standby? How hot should our Wii's get when in standby mode?

Gameplay is what makes a game worth playing - not story or graphics

MY SITE

#37 Scrubking

Scrubking

Feels the Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:33 PM

Does this thing ever get updated??

Anyway, I just got an email back from Nintendo and this is what they say about Wiiconnect24

the system acts just like a home PC does with e-mail. If a system is not connected, the data (information, Mii, email) will be sent the next time that you connect to WiiConnect24.

MY SITE

#38 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:36 PM

I haven't updated it recently, no. It's very time consuming process and you really can't do it in pieces. So I've got to have a few hours to spare and some time to research/check facts, and then format all my files and such.

I will try to update soon.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#39 CocheseUGA

CocheseUGA

Dominate!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:47 AM

Buying a Wii (like, tomorrow) and need to know what I should be looking at time of purchase.

Wii - $250
Classic controller - $20?
Wii points - ?
Game?

I'm buying this for the main purpose of being able to eventually sell all my previous Nintendo consoles. I love the idea of VC, and being able to play my GC games. I was thinking about possibly Super Paper Mario, although I have PM for GC. Anything else?

#40 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2007 - 04:03 AM

Buying a Wii (like, tomorrow) and need to know what I should be looking at time of purchase.

Wii - $250
Wii points - ?
Game?

I'm buying this for the main purpose of being able to eventually sell all my previous Nintendo consoles. I love the idea of VC, and being able to play my GC games. I was thinking about possibly Super Paper Mario, although I have PM for GC. Anything else?

Wii points are $20.

Also, you don't NEED them, but check Target for cheap SD cards. I found 256mb SD cards on clearance from $14.99 down to $3.74.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#41 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2007 - 04:04 AM

Wii - $250
Wii points - ?
Game?

Super Paper Mario, LoZ: Twilight Princess, WarioWare... that's about all there is.

#42 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2007 - 04:53 AM

Wario Ware/Sonic/Excite Truck/Trauma Center all received fairly equal reviews, as I recall. Call of Duty was fairly well received, but I refuse to pay any significant amount of money for yet another CoD with no splitscreen. Get Wii Play if you want another remote (and you will, if only for Wii Sports).

Edit: The signature-fairies would hurt me if I didn't mention that the Wii has the best version The Godfather - and a damn fine version it is in its own right, I understand.

Posted Image

#43 CocheseUGA

CocheseUGA

Dominate!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:50 PM

Do the VC games not show up in places like the Wii userbar I have in my sig?

#44 supershammy

supershammy

Hand-rolled and ice cold.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:05 AM

Hey, I just did this and didn't find anything about it in the FAQ, so here is some info regarding connecting VC games to your Product Registration list on MyNintendo.

Although you can connect your MyNintendo account to your Wii and have all following VC purchases registered on your MyNintendo account, any prior purchases are not connected to your account automatically.

From Nintendo.com:

Q:
I've linked my My Nintendo profile to my Wii Shop Channel. Why aren't my Virtual Console games showing up as registered My Nintendo?

A:
Wii Shop Channel game purchases made prior to creating the My Nintendo link will not be displayed. Please e-mail Nintendo's Consumer Service Department or call 1-800-255-3700 to have your previously purchased Virtual Console games added to your My Nintendo profile. Representatives are available seven days a week from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m., Pacific Time.

I spent about half an hour figuring out this specific fact, so here's a heads-up to everyone else!

#45 CocheseUGA

CocheseUGA

Dominate!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:58 PM

What's up with the grooves on the sides and slots on the bottom of the Wiimote?

#46 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:18 PM

Future remote attachments (example).

#47 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:22 AM

I've never taken my Wii online, and have thus never been able to update it. However, I popped Super Paper Mario in for the first time earlier today, and the machine underwent a short update. I'm not noticing any differences.

Huh?

Posted Image

#48 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:26 AM

I've never taken my Wii online, and have thus never been able to update it. However, I popped Super Paper Mario in for the first time earlier today, and the machine underwent a short update. I'm not noticing any differences.

Huh?

Can you now move channels on the main menu?

#49 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:37 AM

I always could.

Strell just told me in SC that updates do come with disks, and it was probably nothing significant.

Also, the zombie monkey controlled the Kraken all along.

Posted Image

#50 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2007 - 11:46 AM

I always could.

Strell just told me in SC that updates do come with disks, and it was probably nothing significant.

Also, the zombie monkey controlled the Kraken all along.

Lies, it was Voldemort, that bastard isnt content with 4 movies of his own.

#51 Scrubking

Scrubking

Feels the Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:07 PM

Posted Image

MY SITE

#52 Ruahrc

Ruahrc

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2007 - 09:33 AM

2 questions I did not see answered in the FAQ:

1: How many Gamecube memory card slots does the Wii have? I can't tell from the pics if it is just one or if it is 2 stacked on top of each other. If there is only 1, is there any way to copy data from one GC card to another (via temporarily storing it on the Wii internal memory or SD card?)

2: I see mention of a "hard drive" for the Wii in the FAQ in the section about the internal filesystem. 270MB for storage off of an internal hard drive seems awfully small. I suspect the Wii using flash memory instead? This also comes into play regarding noise as flash memory is silent.

Ruahrc

#53 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2007 - 09:49 AM

2 questions I did not see answered in the FAQ:

1: How many Gamecube memory card slots does the Wii have? I can't tell from the pics if it is just one or if it is 2 stacked on top of each other. If there is only 1, is there any way to copy data from one GC card to another (via temporarily storing it on the Wii internal memory or SD card?)

2: I see mention of a "hard drive" for the Wii in the FAQ in the section about the internal filesystem. 270MB for storage off of an internal hard drive seems awfully small. I suspect the Wii using flash memory instead? This also comes into play regarding noise as flash memory is silent.

Ruahrc

1. It has two, just like the Gamecube. I don't know about transferring data, but I would imagine it would be like you'd do it on a Gamecube by going into the memory manager before the game loads. To my knowledge you cannot copy data from a GC card to the Wii's memory (and there is a thread about this somewhere where I argued why it isn't needed, but I'm not going to go look it up, and it was fairly recent).

2. It has 512 megs of internal flash memory. I need to check my data on the 270 meg figure, but the other stuff is devoted to things like the Address Book, Wifi settings, etc.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#54 masked lemon

masked lemon

is high as a kite.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:13 AM

Posted Image

How exactly do I do that?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#55 Scrubking

Scrubking

Feels the Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:23 AM

You would have to manufacture your own plastic clip that would fit both devices just like the person who made the one in the pic.

MY SITE

#56 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2007 - 04:49 AM

You would have to manufacture your own plastic clip that would fit both devices just like the person who made the one in the pic.

Or just buy this.

#57 masked lemon

masked lemon

is high as a kite.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:23 PM

Ahhh... I saw the grip thing at EB Games, $15 for that, no thanks.

Edit: What is the unnamed button on the top of the classic controller?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#58 EXStrike

EXStrike

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:29 PM

Its basically the button that opens/closes the two slots on the back where you would put that clip on.

#59 masked lemon

masked lemon

is high as a kite.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2007 - 04:43 PM

Alright, thanks.... I just bought the Classic Controller yesterday.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#60 Guest_Apossum_*

Guest_Apossum_*

Posted 19 July 2007 - 05:46 PM

So I got a new Wii-- I searched the FAQ and the forum first--

is there a way to transfer VC games yet? It looks like one person had success. I have games linked to my mynintendo account, so maybe that'll help my case?