The Wii Obscure Facts and FAQ (Version 2.0) *NOW LIVE*

• Please log in to reply
301 replies to this topic

#91 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2007 - 04:22 AM

I've always had Wii24 on and Standby Connection on until recently, as I figured why have the Standby Connection on using electricity, and making my Wii hot?

Now it's much cooler with the Standby Connection off, and Wii24 on. When I go to weather, it's up-to-date, and everything else connects fine. So YMMV, I guess?

#92 Guest_Apossum_*

Guest_Apossum_*

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:19 PM

Made the call to Nintendo about the VC games-- as expected, nothing I can do since I sold the original system.

I even tried reason-- that it's proven that I bought the games-- but nope. the lady was very sympathetic though. so I got that going for me, which is nice.

That's a really rotten policy, but w/e, most of the games were downloaded with cards that were given to me as gifts.

#93 Indiana

Indiana

Over 3 decades of gaming!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:50 PM

Well I finally found a Wii...and now they want 500 points for the freaking web browser... this sucks... thanks Nintendo and opera... for nothing!

#94 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2007 - 10:00 PM

Of course, you would easily have been able to afford those 500 points if you had just sold those fucking rocks to the museum.

Fortune and glory, motherfucker.

Posted Image

#95 CocheseUGA

CocheseUGA

Dominate!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2007 - 10:06 PM

Picked up the Nyko dual charger today, it's pretty nice. Unfortunately, you can't charge the second battery without a second remote (I'm sure I could fab something, but it's not worth it). Wish it had the option to charge via USB, though.

#96 Indiana

Indiana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2007 - 10:10 PM

This is true. LEaving SC24 on and turning off standby disables the Weather Channel. I just tried it.

There is no WC24 without Standby.

You are right and what's stupid is the error message tells you to turn on WiiConnect24. Which is already on!

Has anyone wrote or called Nintendo about this issue. This could be fixed with a small software or firmware update.

#97 Indiana

Indiana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2007 - 02:27 PM

Of course, you would easily have been able to afford those 500 points if you had just sold those fucking rocks to the museum.

Fortune and glory, motherfucker.

Laughs... that is a great quote.

#98 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:09 AM

I love the music on the Weather Channel at night. I wish someone would record it/release it. I know they put that "Wii Music" out a few months ago with music from the Mii channels and shop channels, etc.. they got every Weather song.. except the one I want, the night time theme. :cry:

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#99 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:01 PM

I love the music on the Weather Channel at night. I wish someone would record it/release it. I know they put that "Wii Music" out a few months ago with music from the Mii channels and shop channels, etc.. they got every Weather song.. except the one I want, the night time theme. :cry:

I'll try to resolve this myself. Not sure how but I'll look into it.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#100 ep2011

ep2011

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:38 PM

Great Fact sheet. A few things I want to add:

* You can turn off WiiConnect24 by holding the power button for about 5 seconds. It will turn red
* There is a wireless sensor bar sold at many stores (Circuit city, Gamestop, etc) and I believe it is by Intec
* The link to how to make a sensor bar is coded incorrectly. It should link to

http://doctabu.livej....com/64758.html

* I notices that many people did not like how memory cards and wavebirds looked in the wii. You may want to add that it IS possible to add wavebird adaptors and memory cards INSIDE your wii so there is nothing sticking out:

http://www.modpulse....d-receiver-mod/

and

http://www.modpulse....emory-card-mod/

* You can also make the wii-mote chargers use external PSU (Instead of usb) here

http://www.modpulse....n-external-psu/

* The Opera browser HAS come out now. You should edit it out instead of saying "It has yet to release"
* A lot of other things need to be updated, there are a lot of outdated things.

I'm not trying to nitpick and be mean, just want to make it a little more updated for CAG members.

#101 CocheseUGA

CocheseUGA

Dominate!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:29 AM

They won't show up on the website, but the used Wiimotes at EBStop are $29.99.

#102 snipegod

snipegod

Level 5 mustache detected

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:10 PM

As of firmware 3.0, having WC24 on/Standbye off and going into Weather or News still does not work ... but they changed the error message to say "WC24 Standby Connection is turned off. Standby must be turned on to use this channel."

I don't know if this was posted in the thread about the new firmware, but it's relevant to this thread.

#103 bullsrfive

bullsrfive

Raw is Jericho!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2007 - 11:29 PM

Ok so I start playing around with the internet functions of the Wii today and the first thing I do is do an update or whatever. Then I try Wii Forcast. Well I live in Los Angeles and I can't find it anywhere. As a matter of fact, the only location they offer me is "The Valley" and the only region that is offered is "Anguilla." WTH?! How come they won't offer me California or Los Angeles or anything? I can't even use Wii Shop because of this!

#104 Swingman

Swingman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2007 - 11:32 PM

that's strange. see if you can find LA on the globe and zoom in as much as you can so all options appear.
PS3 Games: Burnout Paradise ($30), College Hoops 2k8 ($15), GTA4 ($8), Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga ($20), Marvel: Ultimate Alliance ($8), Super Stardust HD ($15)

Wii Games: Battalion Wars 2, Guitar Hero 3, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Brothers: Brawl, Wii Play, Wii Sports

DS Games: Advance Wars DS, M&L Partners in Time, Mario Kart, MP: Hunters, New SMB, Super Mario 64, Tetris

#105 bullsrfive

bullsrfive

Raw is Jericho!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2007 - 11:34 PM

I can find Los Angeles on the globe but there are no options to make it my region or location.

#106 zerowing

zerowing

makiri ♥

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2007 - 12:06 AM

But but don't you live in Canada?

I thought I just saw it fine a few hours ago
Brawl Friend Code: 0860-2941-1088 PAUL

#107 bullsrfive

bullsrfive

Raw is Jericho!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:57 AM

Anguilla is in in the Caribbean................

#108 -Never4ever-

-Never4ever-

That Guy.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:34 AM

Random question: how the hell do you delete channels?? I really want that MP3 preview the hell off my Wii.

#109 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:03 PM

Random question: how the hell do you delete channels?? I really want that MP3 preview the hell off my Wii.

Go under Wii settings into data where you would copy things to an SD card. You can delete a channel instead of copying to SD.

Although, dont be in a hury to delete the channel, the next round of videos goes up today and you can always delete next week.

#110 CocheseUGA

CocheseUGA

Dominate!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:22 PM

My damn battery charger broke (both slots). I have to try to take this POS back and get another one. This is the Intec (?) dual charger that plugs into the wall.

#111 bmulligan

bmulligan

I am a free man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2007 - 04:32 PM

Mine broke as well, sort of. The Blue LED no longer functions but the Green turns on when it it supposedly "fully" charged. It still works, though, as I've checked it with the multi-meter. But the non working LED coupled with the problems connecting it with the base means I never know if it's actually charging or not.

Mine is also the dual Intec charging base.

The Neo-Communist Manifesto: "In your mind freedom is an end in and of itself. In my mind freedom is a means of improving society and giving people a better life. Those ideas result in very different methods of running society. " - alonzomourning23

bmulligan.png<------GOOZEX ?    Goozex is dead.

#112 CocheseUGA

CocheseUGA

Dominate!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:24 PM

Nyko, as I saw when I returned it. Walmart took it back no problem (and I actually did buy it there, but threw away the receipt), and it's charging up my Wiimotes right now. The middle prong broke off on each one. Weird.

#113 bmulligan

bmulligan

I am a free man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:58 PM

I was mistaken, my charger is also a Nyko.

Hey Cocheese, how was the battery life with your charger?

After about 2 weeks, mine never charged the batteries more than 75% and seemed to discharge pretty rapidly - down to 50% after an hour and a half of play. was yours about the same ?

The Neo-Communist Manifesto: "In your mind freedom is an end in and of itself. In my mind freedom is a means of improving society and giving people a better life. Those ideas result in very different methods of running society. " - alonzomourning23

bmulligan.png<------GOOZEX ?    Goozex is dead.

#114 CocheseUGA

CocheseUGA

Dominate!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2007 - 11:09 PM

Honestly I haven't noticed. Don't play Wii a lot with the 360 here.

#115 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:55 PM

Here is a few questions from a new Wii owner.

-Suggestions on how I can clean off the fingerprint smugs from the unit? I didn't know this thing was a fingerprint magnet!!

-The rear fan, are you SUPPOSE TO FEEL air coming out of it when it is on and playing? I feel NOTHING.. Is this bad?

-I bought a second controller, however this controller does not have that snap lock thing that the controller that came with the wii has. Does nintendo offer free straps?

-I also bought the Joytech Wii power station.
http://www.engadget....iimotes-juiced/

the instructions say run a pass thru power cable that connects to the original power supply brick of the Wii and into the Wii itself. I have heard some strange things about 3rd part devices that latch on to the unit and draws power..example that intercooler for the 360 that seems to burn out the rear or the unit. Is the Wii powerstation going to damage my Wii?

-I am using the 1st party Nintendo wifi USB adapter to let the wii update itself..however I do NOT like the idea of having an open wifi port like that nor do I like my usb adapter being hot like that for hours. Is it safe to have it disable when I don't need the use the online features of the Wii or do I HAVE to have an active wifi access for the wii to do stuff even if I am playing a single player game?

#116 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:47 PM

Here is a few questions from a new Wii owner.

-Suggestions on how I can clean off the fingerprint smugs from the unit? I didn't know this thing was a fingerprint magnet!!

Regular soft cloth

-The rear fan, are you SUPPOSE TO FEEL air coming out of it when it is on and playing? I feel NOTHING.. Is this bad?

The fan is probably on a temp sensor. Play a while and see if the fan comes on or if the console is hot to the touch. If it is, call Nintendo

-I bought a second controller, however this controller does not have that snap lock thing that the controller that came with the wii has. Does nintendo offer free straps?

Nintendo.com will have a link to request the snap straps or contact their hotline.

-I am using the 1st party Nintendo wifi USB adapter to let the wii update itself..however I do NOT like the idea of having an open wifi port like that nor do I like my usb adapter being hot like that for hours. Is it safe to have it disable when I don't need the use the online features of the Wii or do I HAVE to have an active wifi access for the wii to do stuff even if I am playing a single player game?

You can disable it if you like, but you surrender Wiiconnect24 features. Your call.

#117 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:34 AM

Regular soft cloth

The fan is probably on a temp sensor. Play a while and see if the fan comes on or if the console is hot to the touch. If it is, call Nintendo

Nintendo.com will have a link to request the snap straps or contact their hotline.

You can disable it if you like, but you surrender Wiiconnect24 features. Your call.

thanks... now I need to know about the charging station question... damn I already opened it up.

#118 MisterModest

MisterModest

Custom User Title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2007 - 06:47 AM

I'm moving to Ireland, and was wondering what to do with my Wii. If I bring my Wii to Ireland, 1) Will it work, and 2) Will it play PAL games? I remember reading somethings about Wii being region locked/not locked, but that was back when it launched. Wikipedia has nothing...

#119 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2007 - 12:26 PM

I'm moving to Ireland, and was wondering what to do with my Wii. If I bring my Wii to Ireland, 1) Will it work, and 2) Will it play PAL games? I remember reading somethings about Wii being region locked/not locked, but that was back when it launched. Wikipedia has nothing...

1) You'll have to get a power adapter to adjust to US power or a Irish Wii power brick, which will acomplish the same thing.

2) No and I dont think that there is a Wii Freeloader yet.

#120 MisterModest

MisterModest

Custom User Title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2007 - 02:43 PM

Thanks. I got an American-to-Irish plug adapter already, so that should work. I might look into getting an Irish Wii power brick, which could work ever better. Sucks about it not playing PAL games, guess I'll have to import American games to Ireland, if I decide to keep it.

Thanks again.