The Wii Obscure Facts and FAQ (Version 2.0) *NOW LIVE*

• Please log in to reply
301 replies to this topic

#241 arromdee

arromdee

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:31 PM

Really? Wii hacks don't let you run pirated games (at least unless you count emulation). It's region-free, and homebrew, and nothing else.

#242 barbarbar

barbarbar

BROKE ASS GAMER

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:47 PM

Amazing thread. Learned SO much new things about my 2 year old Wii that I only touched 10 times.. I'm starting to become really interested in the Wii.. Thinking bout picking up more games now (Only got 2 atm -__-) . Thanks OP and everyone who contributed to this thread.

Peace!

#243 DavidSki

DavidSki

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:26 PM

Is there any way to connect your Wii HD component cables into your blu ray player or your digital cable box instead of directly connecting the cables to your TV. My Wii HD cables are short and need to stay in some media piers that I bought. It would be easier for me to connect them into one of those devices I suggested.

#244 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:14 AM

Is there any way to connect your Wii HD component cables into your blu ray player or your digital cable box instead of directly connecting the cables to your TV. My Wii HD cables are short and need to stay in some media piers that I bought. It would be easier for me to connect them into one of those devices I suggested.

Well... If either of those devices has inputs, certainly. If not...

http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

#245 RCS0926

RCS0926

Deal Hunter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:38 PM

I just bought a couple Madcatz Wii Power Docks, which recharge Wii remotes via a USB cable. Has anyone had any experience with these chargers? Also, I heard that you can still charge the Wii remotes via the Wii's USB port even when the Wii is in standby mode. Is that true? I play my Wii in short stints, so I rarely ever have it on for more than a couple of hours, which isn't enough time time to fully charge the battery. If I can still charge the remotes without leaving the Wii on, then that would be great...

#246 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:15 AM

Question, sorry if it has been asked, it's 2 AM and I want to go to bed. Anyway anyone know how much Nintendo charges for their Wii repair? My disc drive constantly gives me DRE's now and if not makes every game slow as hell and sounds nasty in there. The Wii's warranty is out of date since it was gotten at launch. I was wondering how much it would cost and if you guys don' know, is there a way I could get a price estimate because I want it fixed.

Thanks
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#247 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:34 AM

Question, sorry if it has been asked, it's 2 AM and I want to go to bed. Anyway anyone know how much Nintendo charges for their Wii repair? My disc drive constantly gives me DRE's now and if not makes every game slow as hell and sounds nasty in there. The Wii's warranty is out of date since it was gotten at launch. I was wondering how much it would cost and if you guys don' know, is there a way I could get a price estimate because I want it fixed.

Thanks

Same thing happened to me last Christmas. Think it was $40, and they were fast as hell about it.

Posted Image

#248 The 7th Number

The 7th Number

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:03 PM

Im thinking of selling my Wii. If i do is there a way to delete my history/Mii's and any other info i wouldnt want to pass on?

Any thing else i should be aware of before selling my Wii to someone else?

8llo.pngthe7thnumber.png

2014 - Year of the Video Games - Currently Playing: Shadow of the Colossus HD - Playstation 3

#249 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:38 PM

Im thinking of selling my Wii. If i do is there a way to delete my history/Mii's and any other info i wouldnt want to pass on?

Any thing else i should be aware of before selling my Wii to someone else?

You can format the drive from the options menu. That removes everything from the console that you would have put on.

#250 The 7th Number

The 7th Number

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:22 AM

You can format the drive from the options menu. That removes everything from the console that you would have put on.

Even my Virtual console games i bought? Im guessing they are console specific, and wouldnt be able to redownload them if i bought a wii again right? If i sell my wii i want to use my VC games as a way to make more money.

8llo.pngthe7thnumber.png

2014 - Year of the Video Games - Currently Playing: Shadow of the Colossus HD - Playstation 3

#251 The 7th Number

The 7th Number

Posted 21 November 2009 - 10:27 PM

Anyone? Im considering selling my Wii to help me get a PS3. But i want to format the system but DONT want to lose my VC games. So if i save my wii shop channel to my SD card and reformat, and then upload my Wii shop channel would i be able to save my VC games?

I read on nintendo site if i reformat the wii shop channel id lose all my games, and id have to buy each one all over again. I just want to make sure the above method will work to save my VC games so i can use them to get more money.

Hmmm i cant even seem to find a way to save my wii shop channel to my SD card. Can it be done?

Maybe i can sell it without reformatting it? Whats the worst they can do besides read old messages? I didnt really send anyone important information. I tried to buy more points and had to enter a credit card, it didnt save anything from past purchases. I can delete my friends codes and Miis.

Edited by The 7th Number, 21 November 2009 - 10:58 PM.

8llo.pngthe7thnumber.png

#252 JJSP

JJSP

Beyond economical repair.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:01 AM

Wii DLC is tied to the console. Sell the system, lose the content.

Cause I'm sick of seeing ghosts, and I know how it's all gonna end

There's no triumph waiting, there's no sunset to ride off in

We all want to be great men, there's nothing romantic about it

I just want to know that I did all I could with what I was given

I just want to sell out my funeral.

I just want to be enough for everyone.

#253 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:26 PM

I have a question about SD cards (been out of the wii game for a while now).

Are some games still locked to the system and not able to be transferred like Smash Bros? Can VC games and saved files be directly read off of the SD card yet?

seanr1221.png

#254 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:07 PM

Are some games still locked to the system and not able to be transferred like Smash Bros? Can VC games and saved files be directly read off of the SD card yet?

First part: Yes, generally first party games do this. Nintendo still sees it as a copyright issue. Not all of them do, obviously. Smash is the big abuser.

Second part: Yes and no. In short: Largely no, since the solution just copies stuff back to system memory, and you need open blocks to accompany this. But there's a lot of variables here, so read on if you want.

There is now an "SD Card Solution" in place that allows you to use SDHC cards with higher capacities than 2GB, which was the initial limitation. So you can throw in an 8GB or so in there. You can then transfer VC games and channels and so forth to it.

However, whenever you want to play one, it has to be loaded into the system memory proper. In other words, the 512 meg flash onboard memory is still a limitation.

Say you want to play Mario 64, which you've downloaded from Wii Shop. It's 90 blocks big. For whatever reason, you only have 60 free on your system. To play it, you'd have to clear out 30 blocks somehow, and then load it from the SD card.

See, the SD Card Solution really just transparently transfers back to the system memory. It does not stream games from the SD Card. So it works if working to you constitutes throwing up as a way to lose weight.

Now, there's another part to this. Certain games allowed you to use the SD card for external files. Think Guitar Hero and Rock Band - you could download tracks and save them to the SD Card. Well, if the game came out before the solution, it was programmed to only search for a non-SDHC SD Card. It will not find a higher capacity one.

In other words, if you downloaded some tracks to an old 2GB card, but then copied everything over to an SDHC card, the game won't be able to find them. The only way around this is to use the old card (unless developers went and patched games, but this won't ever happen).

Now, some games these days do search for the SDHC cards, and can stream data directly from them. Nintendo's stance that you can't run files from the SD card is basically laziness on their part, because Activision (of ALL people) is doing just that with Guitar Hero these days - files saved externally are being loaded directly from the card in-game. They've got it set up so that you can play songs while still in game, even if they are on the SD card. It loads them on the fly. Other developers can do this also, but when even Nintendo won't, I doubt we'll see too much widespread use. Which is dumb, if mostly because there's no excuse for Nintendo to not have had this available since day 1.

Basically, because of having channels and save data on your system, the "best" way to handle everything would be to just have it all on your SD card. Games don't take too long to move back and forth, and then you never have to mess with memory management ever again. It's annoying in that it creates "load screens" (ho ho), but at least it erases all doubt in the "Do I have enough open?" camp.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#255 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:21 PM

Thanks, at least it's better than how it used to be.

seanr1221.png

#256 icedrake523

icedrake523

Good News Everyone!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:21 AM

Have they made any USB/ethernet adapter that works with the Wii?

#257 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:40 AM

Yes and Amazon has several

http://www.amazon.co...K9PQWRVHVB2JZPQ

#258 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:40 AM

There are third party solutions, but I don't know if they work very well. The biggest thing to worry about with them is that a new system update can always potentially lock them out. Just to clarify, I've never heard of them being locked out, so you should be ok. You'll find them at Best Buy and Gamestop and the like. Nyko, Datel, and Intec all have one out there.

There is an official one at NoA's online store. $25 plus shipping. It SHOULD be in normal stores as well, and possibly some other online stores, but I didn't see it an Amazon.

A third option is to get an ethernet/wireless bridge adapter, which plug into the ethernet port but then connect wirelessly to a router/network. They tend to work well enough - there's an old one from Linksys that's a B that gets the job done, but I don't have a link offhand.

Posted Image

Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#259 icedrake523

icedrake523

Good News Everyone!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:38 AM

This one has good reviews so I'll order it.
http://www.amazon.co...65693684&sr=8-3

I'm interested in learning more about that 3rd option, Strell. Post a link if you come across one.

#260 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:42 AM

Found it. I use this one on my 360.

Problem is that it's discontinued, which is why the prices are high for used ones. The point I was making is that there are devices that plug into ethernet ports and then broadcast wirelessly. If you set them to your router, they work great.

'Course, if you're doing this, it sort of implies that you are using a wireless connection, at which point you might as well just use what the Wii already has internally.

I'm simply pointing out other solutions is all. The best thing about a bridge like this is that it is platform agnostic - i.e., you can use it with different systems or laptops or whatever, so long as you physically connect it to each thing. This makes it much more versatile than a console specific adapter.

Posted Image

#261 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:14 PM

Woah, when the hell did I ever contribute to this FAQ?
Eh, all right. But anyway, I'm thinking about hitting up that 8GB SD card deal at Fry's Electronics today. But I'm not hip to Wii in 2010. Can it use a 8 GB SD Card?
You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#262 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:21 PM

If you've got System Update 4.0, then yeah - it can use higher capacity cards. 8GB won't be a problem. Or shouldn't anyway.

Posted Image

#263 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2010 - 04:37 AM

Thanks Strellie-poo.
You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#264 donssword

donssword

Gaming longer than u

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:47 PM

While I don't think it's worth the $114 Amazon is asking for it, I highly recommend a Buffalo Wireless-G Wi-Fi Gamers Access Point. Its seems Buffalo no longer makes these, but CC used to carry them for around $30 a few years back. I think they are easily worth $50.

It plugs into your wired network and uses the AOSS protocol to create a secure wireless bridge to your Wii, DS, and PS3. It's crazy simple to install, and to use it, u just press the button on top of the Buffalo device at the same time you press the connect to AOSS network in you gaming configuration, and everything connects beautifully.

http://www.amazon.co...24&sr=8-3-fkmr2

--
My first console: the Teletype 33.

DonsSword.png

#265 playing mantis

playing mantis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:14 PM

Is it possible to test Wii points codes without actually redeeming them?

This is possible on the 360 console, as the code is not used until you "Confirm Download" (only works on 360 console itself, xbox.com automatically redeems codes, there is no confirmation step).
Posted Image

#266 Vhehs2

Vhehs2

Trading Ban

• Trading Ban

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:32 AM

Is it possible to test Wii points codes without actually redeeming them?

This is possible on the 360 console, as the code is not used until you "Confirm Download" (only works on 360 console itself, xbox.com automatically redeems codes, there is no confirmation step).

I believe you can. I can check tomorrow morning to confirm this.

#267 guinaevere

guinaevere

plays well with others

• Super Moderators

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:55 AM

Haaaalp please. I registered the wii when it came out on my nintendo account, but my brother is the one who made the account on the wii to download VC stuff and whatever else. It's been over a year since he's logged on to it, and we both forget his account name and he forgets the email address he associated with it (if it had one). I've never used the wii for anything but um... wii sports maybe? I forget, but I haven't a clue how to recover his account name and email addy and then from there, he's going to have to remember his password.

Any help would be appreciated.
gwensigol8.png

#268 Vhehs2

Vhehs2

Trading Ban

• Trading Ban

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:42 AM

Try this:

Wii Shop Channel > Settings and Features > Club Nintendo Membership Settings

This should give you your brother's username.

#269 guinaevere

guinaevere

plays well with others

• Super Moderators

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:47 PM

Thanks much, vince! We'll give that a try.
gwensigol8.png

#270 ninjalunchbox79

ninjalunchbox79

WTF?!?!?!?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:02 PM

I have a question .... I used to have a WII with a bunch of VC games downloaded & some unused WII points. Well I never played it sooo I sold it ... aaaaghghhhhh!!! Now I bought another one ... & was wondering how do I go about recovering said VC games & points??? Any thoughts??