Odin Sphere - Geeze The Animation is Amazing!

RelentlessRolento

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI-V3Uw1b3U[/media]​

Reminds me of Rumble Fish animation... I didn't even know a bit about this game, but watching the animation is enough for me.

Meh, I'm not that impressed. It looks nice, but I don't think I'd go as far as calling it amazing. Any word on a U.S. release?

ZOMG, Atlus! Should I buy nowz b4 it gets teh rar3z? *yawn*

The animation's nice, but I can't say I like the art direction too much. Could still be a good game, but that video just doesn't do much for me

[quote name='defiance_17']Any word on a U.S. release?[/quote]

May 21 in the tab on the right of the screen, "late Spring" in the body of the article:

link

[quote name='Z-Saber']So, is that a beat-em-up or a platformer? Either way, looks great.[/quote]
The ever popular "action RPG" that's being thrown onto anything where a character levels up...PR spiel to follow:

The nations of Erion had always held an uneasy peace, as the various kings and queens watched each other for any signs of weakness. When the country of Valentine is obliterated by the power of an ancient artifact, it sparks a bloody war between the fairies of Ringford and the warriors of Ragnanival. Little do they know that they are acting out an almost-forgotten prophecy: one that, if fulfilled, will lead to the destruction of the entire world. Take control of the warrior princess Gwendolyn, daughter of Odin, and follow the threads of an intricately woven story as you uncover the truth behind the prophecy – and how to bring it to an end.
Features
  • Gorgeous hand-drawn artwork and animations!
  • Intense side-scrolling action with astonishing attacks and magic effects!
  • Fully-voiced dialogue that heightens the drama!
  • Fantastic bosses that tower over the protagonists!
  • Five playable characters in all; each one's fate is intertwined with the others'!
  • A robust cooking and alchemy system that can be used to create powerful attack and recovery items!

[quote name='defiance_17']Meh, I'm not that impressed. It looks nice, but I don't think I'd go as far as calling it amazing. Any word on a U.S. release?

ZOMG, Atlus! Should I buy nowz b4 it gets teh rar3z? *yawn*[/QUOTE]

Send me an animation you did that's in similar quality then we'll talk... it's not easy to pull this crap off and make it look this good. It's layer based animation.

Well to be fair, the animation is choppy, despite the difficulty of the technique.

However this is the exact style of game I've been wanting to see... 2d action on PS2.

Interesting.

I like the art style. While it doesn't look "fluid," it looks like that's a design choice: they seem to draw a body part once, and then manipulate it on screen to move it, like paper puppets, or -- for a reference everyone will get -- South Park.

EDIT: I wish they'd stop shoehorning fishing and/or cooking sub-games in, though. Are they EVER fun?

weird...I dont know if I like it or hate it, but it's unlike any other game I've played before in terms of graphic/art style or w/e...so I'd definitely wanna try it.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']forgot to mention this but so far, but no US release has been announced.[/quote]

Didn't Atlus say late spring?

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']forgot to mention this but so far, but no US release has been announced.[/quote]
yeah, it has. atlus usa is releasing it. they put up the website a while ago. it's expected to ship shortly after the JPN release (tentative date: may 21, which IS late spring).

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Send me an animation you did that's in similar quality then we'll talk... it's not easy to pull this crap off and make it look this good. It's layer based animation.[/QUOTE]

Last I checked, defiance isn't a professional animator. The same way you can criticize games, movies, books, etc. without actually writing one, defiance points out that the graphical style, while nice, isn't as ZOMG TEH AWESOMEZ! as you had indicated. Frame by frame, I'd say it has a nice style, but the animation itself? Choppy as hell.

[quote name='Spruce']The ever popular "action RPG" that's being thrown onto anything where a character levels up...[/QUOTE]

So basically, a 2D action, possibly action/platformer or action/adventure game with leveling up.

I am MUCH more interested now.

mm same I don't even think I've ever even played a 100% 2D action RPG... or RPG at that... I wanna playyy XD

[quote name='alongx']Last I checked, defiance isn't a professional animator. The same way you can criticize games, movies, books, etc. without actually writing one, defiance points out that the graphical style, while nice, isn't as ZOMG TEH AWESOMEZ! as you had indicated. Frame by frame, I'd say it has a nice style, but the animation itself? Choppy as hell.[/QUOTE]

looks smooth to me. by choppy I am guessing you mean transitions from latyer animation changes?

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Send me an animation you did that's in similar quality then we'll talk... it's not easy to pull this crap off and make it look this good. It's layer based animation.[/QUOTE]

Dude, I'm a fucking accountant. Just because I can't do something doesn't mean I have to be impressed by it. I should concur that this video is "amazing," simply because I don't create animation, and therefore am unable to provide something better? That's like calling the line workers at Taco Bell "amazing" because you can't cook.

Reeks of "pretty 2D animeish game from japan whose gameplay reeks" we've been seeing this a lot lately. The companies that make things like this need to be dissolved and allow their art people to work with companies that actually make good games.

No offense to the OP, but I felt Hotel Dusk was one of these "pretty art style with crap gameplay" type games. I fell for it too.

[quote name='defiance_17']Dude, I'm a fucking accountant. Just because I can't do something doesn't mean I have to be impressed by it. I should concur that this video is "amazing," simply because I don't create animation, and therefore am unable to provide something better? That's like calling the line workers at Taco Bell "amazing" because you can't cook.[/QUOTE]

whatever floats your boat. I have no ego of mine for me to mess with so whatever. sure. you win. happiness. :)

[quote name='jer7583']
No offense to the OP, but I felt Hotel Dusk was one of these "pretty art style with crap gameplay" type games. I fell for it too.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing realistic games or high end graphics games fall into the same category? it goes for both sides.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I'm guessing realistic games or high end graphics games fall into the same category? it goes for both sides.[/QUOTE]

for sure they do. It's just that games like this are doing the same thing lately, using more stylized attractive graphics to fool those of us who are more savvy to the realistic graphics masking gameplay.

That said, I hope the game ends up being awesome and that naysayers end up eating crow at launch, looks real good.

[quote name='jer7583']for sure they do. It's just that games like this are doing the same thing lately, using more stylized attractive graphics to fool those of us who are more savvy to the realistic graphics masking gameplay.

That said, I hope the game ends up being awesome and that naysayers end up eating crow at launch, looks real good.[/quote]

I'll play a bad game with imaginative and well-conceived designs actually, that's why I'm a fan of Square.

That is a beautiful game. Love the art style.

The sprite animation itself was a little choppy, yes, but overall, its art in motion.

Odin Sphere is the cover story on the newest issue of Play magazine - it received a perfect 10. It's described primarily as an RPG, and even though there are 6 pages of coverage, including developer interviews, I still don't really understand how it plays. 40-50 hours of playtime and the developers claim there really is no need to level grind if you plan/manage your items correctly - for whatever that's worth. I just think it's cool to have a really nice looking 2D game on a home console - for $40 I'm in.

[quote name='coolz481']Odin Sphere is the cover story on the newest issue of Play magazine - it received a perfect 10. It's described primarily as an RPG, and even though there are 6 pages of coverage, including developer interviews, I still don't really understand how it plays. 40-50 hours of playtime and the developers claim there really is no need to level grind if you plan/manage your items correctly - for whatever that's worth. I just think it's cool to have a really nice looking 2D game on a home console - for $40 I'm in.[/QUOTE]

Wow. I'm not sure how much credibility Play has, but if other reviews are even close to that, I'll have to pick this one up (despite being about 1000 hours behind in PS2 games).

[quote name='defiance_17']Wow. I'm not sure how much credibility Play has, but if other reviews are even close to that, I'll have to pick this one up (despite being about 1000 hours behind in PS2 games).[/QUOTE]

:lol: Same here (1000 hours behind).

It's funny, I had never heard of this game until today when I called a Gamecrazy to ask if they had Puzzle Quest and the guy answered the phone letting me know I could trade in games to preorder "Odin's Sphere". I had assumed it was some 360 game since they were pushing it on the phone. Then I come here and see this. I will definitely keep my eye on this one. Any obscure PS2 RPG at this point (especially by Atlus) is likely to become scarce and if it really rates well I'd definitely snag it upon release. (If the rest of the reviews come out iffy then I'd wait for a sale/clearance).

There isn't any pre-bonus, unless a sudden spike in interest warrants a change.

Atlus tends to announce pre-order bonuses several months early (they just announced the bonus for persona 3 and that is onsale in July). And Atelier Iris 3 has had the pre-order bonus announced for quite some time now.

I'm not surprised by the Play score, Play loves anime and games with high art directions.
(also, the PA shout out is killing the atlus.com servers)

This game reminds of Valkyrie Profile. Looks good but I'll wait to hear some of your honest impressions before I take the plunge.

Dave Halverson of PLAY has a hard on for JRPGs so it'll score high. PLAY also gave Magna Carta rave reviews. I've been burned by them a couple times so I usually take their reviews with a grain of salt. It's a great magazine but it seems they fall in love with art direction and graphical style more than actual gameplay. They're the leading proponents of the video games as art crowd.

K for Krappy, m i rite?

Yeah, Play gives everything a 9 or 10, so I'd wait on that.

But that trailer was great. they might be right this time :hot:
I could ignore the "blah blah blah princesses, end of the world etc. etc." story and still enjoy it, I think.

Penny arcade has been saying it is awesome, and yeah, I know they can be whores but they described the gameplay and it sounds like a lot of fun.

Looks like Princess Crown for the old Saturn. Also remade for the PSP.

EDIT:

Haha, well I'll be darned. I just read this concerning Princess Crown.
This game also spawned what many consider a spiritual sequel, Odin Sphere. Made by the same company and featuring many similarities to Princess Crown, Odin Sphere will be released on May 21 in the US.

I wish this game would just hurry up and come out. I really want to play it since I saw a bunch of stuff about it a month or so ago. >_<

19 days left I guess.

[quote name='Starky27']Giving this a bump as the release date was announced by Atlus. May 22nd, w/ dual VA tracks and the best part is the nice $39.99 price to boot...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6169304.html[/quote]

Japanese voice track will make this make game much easier to swallow. Shame .hack GU didn't do that. Now I'm just torn between this and Etrian Odessey. May end up getting both.

Had no idea this was a beat em up... thought it was just another random RPG.

My interest has gone up a ton now that I know it's something different.

bread's done
Back