Sixaxis Periodical Bluetooth Disconnection/Desyncing Problem

Zoglog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I figured I might as well make a thread about this since it's not a very isolated problem. There's articles all around pointing to this, but it seems like nobody's even brought it back up since Last Year.

Basically the issue is that occasionally the Sixaxis Controller will lose Sync temporarily during gameplay for around 1-2 seconds causing the last input command to continue. For example, your character continues running forward since you were moving when this happened or your car contines boosting in motorstorm because you were pressing X when it happens. This isn't isolated to one game either, It's happened to me on Genji, Motorstorm, and Resistance.

This does NEVER happens to my 360 controllers (Which use RF), and I have not noticed it yet on my Wii (Though the nature of the Wii and the way we play with it makes it hard to tell).

Here are some other places where this has been mentioned.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3155392
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=774095&highlight=Controller
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129533
http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?p=8704955
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&message.id=789239
http://forums.gametrailers.com/showthread.php?t=70941
http://www.aeropause.com/archives/2006/11/sixaxis_freakin.php
http://www.pc-doc.com/?p=150

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200701/N07.0108.1833.15034.htm?Page=1
GI: Something a lot of people are experiencing as well is the Bluetooth drops with the wireless controllers. Is there any way that can be resolved through software patching?

Dille: That’s a technical question and probably a little out of my purview. We’ve actually heard it a lot from the gaming press. I think part of that is based on the proliferation of devices you have on your desktops. It hasn’t become a huge consumer issue.

I think people were expecting this to be fixed in a firmware update, but I still haven't had this issue fixed and Sony still hasn't even addressed this issue.

So my question is if people on this forum are experiencing similar things, and if so maybe we should start asking Sony Some Questions. Typically this problem doesn't seem to be too much of an issue now, but it's gonna be a real pain in the ass when it hits during those critical moments in gaming. I know i've experienced dying a few times in Resistance because the character kept on walking forward or crashing in Motorstorm because the cart kept on turning.

it's happened to me in ridge racer a few times and in resistance once....same result both times: kept ramming into the wall

Happen to me in resisitance many times, and I fell of a cliff because of it. Same w/ virtua fighter 5 in that my character will continue to move in the same direction. Absolutely brutal timing in both games. Happens about once every 2 days to me.

This actually happened to me yesterday while I was playing VF5. Eileen kept walking forward, and I wasn't pushing anything. Luckily I regained control before I got a loss on my record...

I've gotten it about 4 or 5 times, I just recharged my controller for the first time, not sure how long the charge lasts.
I have no other wireless Bluetooth devices in my home.
It's definitely a problem, someone needs to address it at Sony.

I have two SIXAXIS controllers and they NEVER disconnected. I've owned a PS3 for a while too. I think the reason it happens to some is because they have too many wireless devices in their place, causing the frequencies to interfere.

It's happened to me a few times I have to admit. In Resistance and THP8.

Very annoying.
I do have a ton of wireless devices going on around it, but are they really the problem?

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I have two SIXAXIS controllers and they NEVER disconnected. I've owned a PS3 for a while too. I think the reason it happens to some is because they have too many wireless devices in their place, causing the frequencies to interfere.[/QUOTE]
The only wireless thing in my house is the router. And I'd hope Sony would have accounted for people using a wireless router with their console that supports wireless networking.

I have other wireless things like the 360 controllers, but obviously they're not on while I'm playing the PS3.

Yeah indeed, I've heard a few things how this is inherent to bluetooth. However I haven't witnessed this problem with my wii-motes. The 360 uses a different technology (RF) but It never drops at all so interference is bullshit.

What I want Sony to fix is the need to plug in my controller before it's recognized. The controller that came with the system has no problems with this, but whenever I want to use the other one I need to plug it in first.

[quote name='Zoglog']Yeah indeed, I've heard a few things how this is inherent to bluetooth. However I haven't witnessed this problem with my wii-motes. The 360 uses a different technology (RF) but It never drops at all so interference is bullshit.[/QUOTE]

Yet Bluetooth is an RF technology, it even uses a 2.4 gHz/ISM signal, thus there's no way it can be 100% "interference free". And while I don't have a Wii or a PS3 currently, I have expereienced interference (not desyncing though) with the 360 controllers on a couple rare occasions. Though I must say out of having wireless controllers for all of the last gen systems too, compared to them and some other RF devices, the 360 does a pretty bang-up job of staying away from any kind of interference.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell'] And while I don't have a Wii or a PS3 currently, I have expereienced interference (not desyncing though) with the 360 controllers on a couple rare occasions. Though I must say out of having wireless controllers for all of the last gen systems too, compared to them and some other RF devices, the 360 does a pretty bang-up job of staying away from any kind of interference.[/QUOTE]
I've had the 360 controllers disconnect once or twice, though it was only for a second and they reconnected immediately.

The only wireless controllers I've had never do anything like that is the Logitch one for the PS2.

Yeah, the 360 controllers, I've definetly never had any real problems. Even the Logitech wireless ps2 Controller I had NEVER had any issues with desyncing.

Out of all my consoles, the PS3 is the only one suffering from this. Seems a bit fishy.

damn, this is really starting to piss me off. in motortstorm the last 2 online matches the controller desynced once each time. this never happens to my 360 controller

[quote name='apokalipze2']Does Sony even acknowldege this problem? I've been having issues with Motorstorm and Virtua Fighter too:bomb:[/QUOTE]

the only vague statement is just in some interview the guy says it's probably interference.............. But it's got to be more than that. I just wonder how we should go about trying to get this problem into light.

it hadn't happened to me for a long time (in about a month or so i guess), but just happened earlier today while I was playin Motorstorm.

Strange, I was playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance today 2 player and I got the same ol thing except the controller disconnected completely on both my controllers once. And I also got the usual periodical disconnect. Both were fully charged as well. Man this is getting annoying. I wonder if Sony will ever address this issue -_-.......................

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I have two SIXAXIS controllers and they NEVER disconnected. I've owned a PS3 for a while too. I think the reason it happens to some is because they have too many wireless devices in their place, causing the frequencies to interfere.[/quote]

I have two SIXAXIS controllers and they NEVER disconnected.

It is not interference, no matter what they say.

This bothers me too. It happens pretty rarely, but is still very annoying.

It happened 3 times during one session of Resistance yesterday. (2 hours of gaming).
That's the worst it's ever been, and I got shot up twice because of it.

yeah the whole interference spiel is bullshit because I've never seen this issue happen with my Wiimotes or my 360 controllers Ever. This has seriously got me concerned when more games come out. I mean imagine you're fighting a hard boss in DMC4 and suddenly the controller craps out.

I realize that some people don't seem to be experiencing this yet, but really I think it's like 50% of people at least who have. That's some cause for concern.

It used to happen a lot when I first got it. For some reason, hasn't happened as much any more. They really need to resolve this though. The few times it did happen, it really screwed me online in Resistance.

I've had my Wiimotes desync in a week more than I've ever had the sixaxis on mine desync (0 times). Never had a problem with the 360 controller either.

I have had this problem twice. Both times it fixed itself fast (within a few seconds). But still sucks. Never happens on my other blue tooth stuff. I have a 360/Wii/BT-KB/M/PS3/Headset so I got more stinking bt items then most but i dont think that should hurt.

Can't check through thread by now, but have you tried assigning your controller a new number and seeing if it keeps happening?

I'll try that.

It should be noted that it syncs back by itself in the same amount of time that it takes as if you were just turning on the PS3 by hitting the PS button.

So it's as if the controller turns off, then quickly turns on again.

wait so it is the console that is messed up or the controller, i have never had this issues, what systems do you hvae 60gb or 20gb ?

I have a 60gb and it only de-syncs when I play tekken. Sometimes it will fix itself, sometimes I have to manually press the home button to get the controller to work again. It also happens on multiple remotes, not just one. I can also confirm it's not bluetooth or wireless interference as all my connections are wired. Haven't had the problem with the Wii/360 remotes yet, so I don't really know what the problem is.

[quote name='Zoglog']oh this is frickin hilarious, I posted this on the playstation.com forums and I got banned for it.[/quote]

Gah. :roll: They are in denial over this, but that was a waste of time there anyway.

Did you try changing the assigned number on your controller yet? Play with that for a while, maybe keep changing them if it keeps up to see if one has less problems.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Gah. :roll: They are in denial over this, but that was a waste of time there anyway.

Did you try changing the assigned number on your controller yet? Play with that for a while, maybe keep changing them if it keeps up to see if one has less problems.[/QUOTE]

yeah, I've tried that, but it doesnt fix the issue. The controller often does not even really get disconnected. It's temporary, the status light does not flash, turn off, nothing. Controller just stops responding for 2-4 seconds

[quote name='Zoglog']oh this is frickin hilarious, I posted this on the playstation.com forums and I got banned for it.[/QUOTE]
I'm sure instead of posting it like a decent human being, you said it like the asshole you are. That's probably why you got banned.

[quote name='zewone']I'm sure instead of posting it like a decent human being, you said it like the asshole you are. That's probably why you got banned.[/QUOTE]

this coming from the idiot who bragged about ripping off little kids in FFXI? real credible.....

[quote name='Zoglog']this coming from the idiot who bragged about ripping off little kids in FFXI? real credible.....[/QUOTE]
It was a joke, it's funny that you still believe that.

I've had my PS3 since mid-December and have never run into this problem. However I have read elsewhere that you may be able to correct controller problems like this by clicking the button inside the hole on the bottom of the controller near the L2 button (this is a reset button). You would need something small like the tip of an unfolded paperclip to do this, and after the controller is reset, pair it with your PS3 again using the USB cable.

Hope this helps...

[quote name='orphicviper']I've had my PS3 since mid-December and have never run into this problem. However I have read elsewhere that you may be able to correct controller problems like this by clicking the button inside the hole on the bottom of the controller near the L2 button (this is a reset button). You would need something small like the tip of an unfolded paperclip to do this, and after the controller is reset, pair it with your PS3 again using the USB cable.

Hope this helps...[/QUOTE]

I'll have to try that, but i'm still skeptical since the problem doesn't seem to have anything to do with pairing. Thanks for the info, unlike some other douche who comes in here just to troll.

[quote name='Zoglog']Thanks for the info, unlike some other douche who comes in here just to troll.[/QUOTE]Because you NEVERdo that. :roll:

A method I got from some people at GAF is to play with the controller plugged in via usb.

I didn't believe it at first but I haven't had a disconnect while the controller is plugged in, so I can't say it doesn't work.

Also unfortunately, the longest length most stores carry (monoprice, compusa, etc) is 6 ft. Which is way too short for me still. Fortunately, nyko sells one that is 10 ft (I'd prefer longer, but it's just enough for me). It's the $10 charge cable that you find at eb.

bread's done
Back