Dead or Alive 4 (360) $29.99 @ EB/Gamestop

That usually changes within a day or so. They tend to be very slow with updating used price drops when they list price drops for new copies.

i always love when the unknowing sales clerk is pushing used saying it'll save you a buck or two, and then i point out the used version is $5 more than the brand new still in shrinkwrap version and have a laugh at gamestop's slow price changes.

[quote name='xcoax']i always love when the unknowing sales clerk is pushing used saying it'll save you a buck or two, and then i point out the used version is $5 more than the brand new still in shrinkwrap version and have a laugh at gamestop's slow price changes.[/quote]

hah :applause:

Good price, but not quite there yet...

I might have to buy it used because of the atrotious PH box art.

[quote name='killbot13']I'm waiting for < $20 on this one, used or new on sale.[/quote]
Wise decision. Only reason I got this game was that my GF at the time had a passing interest. Spend the $30 on something better like beer or pr0n. You'll thank me later.;)

[quote name='Tsukento']That usually changes within a day or so. They tend to be very slow with updating used price drops when they list price drops for new copies.[/QUOTE]
Online yes, but in store its usually right away. I'd be willing to bet its already $25-28 used in store.

edit: this post is from March >_

[quote name='yummytyson']i need a good fighting game, is this worth it ?[/quote]

Yes, it's really the only fighter on the 360. It is extremely challenging but you'll get the hang of it and start to be pretty good over time.

[quote name='LINK1392']This morning Gamestop had in the PH versions. :( ITS UGLY![/QUOTE]
I got my non-PH version from someone on these forums :D

[quote name='yummytyson']i need a good fighting game, is this worth it ?[/quote]

If you're wanting a fighter right now - maybe. But if you can hold off until Virtua Fighter 5 comes along, I'd highly recommend you do so. Personally, as much fun as I have with the Dead or Alive games, they're pretty mindless and stupid in the overall scheme of things. I'd take Third Strike, Mark of the Wolves, or Virtua Fighter anyday over DOA. It especially seems like noobies in DOA like to switch out tag-team members for easy damage, as well as that hideously broken reversal system.

But yea...I play Dead or Alive when I'm bored and wanna have some quick stupid fun...Virtua Fighter is what I go to when I want to play something *good*. Then again...you could always just go play Smash Bros. Melee and get the best of both worlds...

Wow, this thread wised from the gwave.

I used the Best Buy GGC to get it $25 when it became platinum hits (with the ugly cover, unfortunately...BB sold out all the regular versions long before it became platinum). Currently you can use the 10% off EB/GS coupon to get this $27 new...I think it's the best deal for this game right now.

Check Disc Replays (its a pre owned DVD/CD/Game store), I got my copy from there a few months ago for $16.99.

[quote name='Megaten']If you're wanting a fighter right now - maybe. But if you can hold off until Virtua Fighter 5 comes along, I'd highly recommend you do so. Personally, as much fun as I have with the Dead or Alive games, they're pretty mindless and stupid in the overall scheme of things. I'd take Third Strike, Mark of the Wolves, or Virtua Fighter anyday over DOA. It especially seems like noobies in DOA like to switch out tag-team members for easy damage, as well as that hideously broken reversal system.

But yea...I play Dead or Alive when I'm bored and wanna have some quick stupid fun...Virtua Fighter is what I go to when I want to play something *good*. Then again...you could always just go play Smash Bros. Melee and get the best of both worlds...[/quote]

The thing I don't like about it is the new reversal system they've implemented into this version. Otherwise this is a very fun game that I've had some good times with. Hell I still havn't unlocked all of the costumes yet, maybe I'll finish that up today :cool:

[quote name='sasukekun']I got my non-PH version from someone on these forums :D[/QUOTE]I got my copy through a series of clearance items I bought for like 3-9 $ and then I traded them in and got nearly double-triple trade in at Gamecrazy than what I paid for them....:D

I got DOA4 the day it came out, and paid off Oblivion... DOA4 is awesome, takes a little while to get used to the controls and learn the system inside out but its worth it.

[quote name='yummytyson']i need a good fighting game, is this worth it ?[/QUOTE]
Ignore the gamers who don't know how to play the game - yes, it's a great fighting game. I know a good dozen people who gave it a shot and ended up loving it. It's a deep fighting game that's fairly easy to pick up, and the online play is probably my favorite on the 360.

(It's an especially good pick now that we know VF5 is going to have a stupid 1-on-1 only online setup. What a freaking waste.)

[quote name='Rozz']The thing I don't like about it is the new reversal system they've implemented into this version. [/QUOTE]
New reversal system..? What new reversal system? It's exactly the same one as in 2 and 3 and that's a major complaint from the hardcore DOA community. Don't know what you're talking about...

Anyway, I've got to pick up a second copy soon. All those hours of playing and the 360's disc scratching record has left my copy with a crack right on the inner ring.

This game is barely dropping to $29.99? Didn't it come out like December 05?

This and Perfect Dark Zero were the first games I bought when I bought my 360 in April 06. I know I'm in the huge minority but I think both are good games.

[quote name='grap3fruitman']New reversal system..? What new reversal system? It's exactly the same one as in 2 and 3 and that's a major complaint from the hardcore DOA community. Don't know what you're talking about...

Anyway, I've got to pick up a second copy soon. All those hours of playing and the 360's disc scratching record has left my copy with a crack right on the inner ring.[/QUOTE]
It's not exactly the same, particularly from DOA3 with its simpler three-point system, but it's pretty similar. I suspect they are talking about the tighter timing - this seems to mess up a lot of the more casual DOA vets. But DOA2U (which is most similar to DOA4) only sold to like a fifth of the people that bought DOA3 and DOA4, so it's probably partially that too.

I'm sure they're out there, but I can't remember seeing anybody from the hardcore DOA community complaining about the counter-hold system in 4. Damage levels, timing, and complexity all seem to be at a sweet spot for the series. At worst you have certain characters like Hayabusa getting too much advantage from punch counter-holds.

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']This game is barely dropping to $29.99? Didn't it come out like December 05?

This and Perfect Dark Zero were the first games I bought when I bought my 360 in April 06. I know I'm in the huge minority but I think both are good games.[/QUOTE] Well, this game has been selling well....:p I cant wait for DOA 5.

[quote name='grap3fruitman']New reversal system..? What new reversal system? It's exactly the same one as in 2 and 3 and that's a major complaint from the hardcore DOA community. Don't know what you're talking about...
[/QUOTE]

Timing for counters has been tightened. Also, mid-kicks have to be countered by pressing towards your opponent, rather than away (this change first appeared in DOA2U). These changes might not sound like much, but having four different countering possibilities, along with tightened timing, makes blindly countering a terrible idea against a skilled opponent.

[quote name='Pylis']Timing for counters has been tightened. Also, mid-kicks have to be countered by pressing towards your opponent, rather than away (this change first appeared in DOA2U). These changes might not sound like much, but having four different countering possibilities, along with tightened timing, makes blindly countering a terrible idea against a skilled opponent.[/QUOTE]
The active window for counters is still 22 frames just like it has been since DOA2 in 99, which is a major complaint.

Forward to counter mid kicks was also present in DOA2 in the arcades but counters were dumbed down for the Dreamcast and PS2 games but the arcade versions were still included as optional control choice. DOA3 also featured the simplified counter system but didn't have arcade holds as a selectable option.

Counters were originally (look at your number pad for directions):
67f high counter
64f mid punch counter
46f mid kick counter
61f low counter

And the hold window was and always has been 22 frames and the hardcore DOA community has been complaining non-stop for years about it being too long.

Well, I only started with DOA2 so I'm not sure about any of the DOA1s or DOA++ but yeah that's a short DOA history lesson for you guys and the DOA4 counter window was never shortened so I don't know where you got that from.

Just FYI, Liongames.com has a used copy of DoA4 for $20 + shipping. Great service from there if you have any doubts check out the post.

[quote name='grap3fruitman']The active window for counters is still 22 frames just like it has been since DOA2 in 99, which is a major complaint.

Forward to counter mid kicks was also present in DOA2 in the arcades but counters were dumbed down for the Dreamcast and PS2 games but the arcade versions were still included as optional control choice. DOA3 also featured the simplified counter system but didn't have arcade holds as a selectable option.

Counters were originally (look at your number pad for directions):
67f high counter
64f mid punch counter
46f mid kick counter
61f low counter

And the hold window was and always has been 22 frames and the hardcore DOA community has been complaining non-stop for years about it being too long.

Well, I only started with DOA2 so I'm not sure about any of the DOA1s or DOA++ but yeah that's a short DOA history lesson for you guys and the DOA4 counter window was never shortened so I don't know where you got that from.[/QUOTE]

Interesting information that I hadn't heard before. The main reason so many claim that the counter system had been tightened is because it was widely reported as such by various gaming sources.

The best deal is to get it from CC for $19.99 after the coupon that is floating around the deals thread; $10 off select games (ones from the world series of gaming). I know some are pissed with CC, but others want to know where they can save the most money and this has been the lowest I've seen it; unless you have paid $20 to join CC's gamer's club which gives 10% off on games & accessories, then it'd be a cool $17.

[quote name='grap3fruitman']The active window for counters is still 22 frames just like it has been since DOA2 in 99, which is a major complaint.[/quote]
Except to do any serious damage you need to hold in the first 11 frames, ideally in the first 4(?). Combined with the faster pace of DOA4 and the timing feels much tighter, even if framewise and ignoring damage it is the same.

Yeah, but let's be real here: very few DOA2 players would have used the arcade versions, and DOA3 still outsold 2 to a large degree. For most gamers up until DOA4 DOA was DOA3, period.

Very few of the people complaining about one of DOA's fundamental gameplay aspects are still in the hardcore community at this point! As Itagaki has said in interviews, "DOA is for people who like DOA." :D

They experimented with 11 frame hold windows in prototypes for DOA4, and as expected it broke the gameplay. (This is why a lot of people think the frames were changed.) Making them active for 11 frames makes as much sense as making command input throws escapable or giving the characters a powerful sidestepping option - some DOA players may whine about it because they don't understand the gameplay engine, but the hardcore either get it or move to other fighting games.

Well, I only started with DOA2 so I'm not sure about any of the DOA1s or DOA++ but yeah that's a short DOA history lesson for you guys and the DOA4 counter window was never shortened so I don't know where you got that from.
Totally different systems pre-DOA2, more like parries than anything else. DOA2 is really the foundation for the series and its design philosophy (with DOA4 actually removing many of the design principles present in later versions of DOA3, the most conventional of the series).

bread's done
Back