Far Cry and Open Season for Wii $20 each at Gamestop

[quote name='o_O']So... will these still work for the trade in 2 Wii games, get 1 free deal?[/QUOTE]

Even if they did, it wouldnt save you much money

[quote name='H-Town Info']it would save 10 bucks at least[/quote]
or you could buy them used and save a little more

[quote name='zman73']Even if they did, it wouldnt save you much money[/quote]

Ten dollars adds up quite quickly if there's 2-3 Wii games you're looking for.

I'd buy Far Cry for $20. It's the best FPS on Wii, mechanics/control wise. from a Design perspective, not so good. It really recieved a lot of undeserved flak, considering how much better control it had than red steel.

[quote name='jer7583']I'd buy Far Cry for $20. It's the best FPS on Wii, mechanics/control wise. from a Design perspective, not so good. It really recieved a lot of undeserved flak, considering how much better control it had than red steel.[/quote]

Have you played the new MOH yet? You may want to rethink that statement after you have.

No, I haven't played the new MoH FPS, since it just came out and I don't buy single player FPS games for $50. Wii games should really come out at $30. I don't see myself buying many 3rd party games for $50..

Is MoH really good though? That's a good thing to hear. The 1up guys were saying on their podcast that it looked worse than the PS2 version, though, which I thought a bit odd.

I'll have to pick up Far Cry in store tomorrow....if I hate it I'll trade it in with another Wii game and get Trauma Center or pre-order Paper Mario (if possible).

The single player aspects of Far Cry were pretty terrible. I only gave it a rental to try out the control schemes, since I'm a huge fan of FPS' and Wii controls, but from my limited play I could see all the faults with the game. You can easily dispatch enemies who aren't facing you by walking straight up behind them, firing loudly past their ears if you'd like, and then meleeing them in the back. Along with pretty ugly visuals and very poor level layout/design (basically walking along a bland jungle path, fighting a group of 3 or 4 enemies every so often until a building, and repeat...) it deserved it's low scores IMO.

However...the multiplayer was a huge surprise. Personally, I thought the control scheme worked very well; it was pretty easy to aim and manuever, which is the most important aspect of multiplayer. For $20 I'd definitely buy this if you have someone who's into the Wii and willing to play with you, since it's definitely a fun time multiplayer-wise.

And by the way, MoH also has 4 player multiplayer to the person who said they don't buy single player games. It's the main reason I'm picking it up soon.

P.S. Is there some way you could price match this at BB and use the $5 off coupon? I just love using those things...

[quote name='H-Town Info']it would save 10 bucks at least[/QUOTE]
but you have to pay tax for the 2 $20 games and thats like $3.50. Might as well just user a Gamer's gift card at best buy

[quote name='62t']but you have to pay tax for the 2 $20 games and thats like $3.50. Might as well just user a Gamer's gift card at best buy[/quote]

$20+$20=$40. After FL sales tax (0.06), that's $42.40.

A new Wii game, $50, after FL sales tax (again, 0.06), is $53.00.

So, unless you're required to pay tax on the Wii game at Gamestop when you trade in the two new Wii games, it still saves you ten dollars. Actually, $10.60.

If you have to pay the sales tax at GS after trading in the two games ($3.00 on a fifty dollar game), it's still a savings of 7 bucks.

bah thanks for the heads up but i hated Far cry. Out of the three Wii FPS i played ( Red steel and COD3) Far cry was the worset and that is saying a lot in my book as all three games were poor.

after playing red steel I have serious doubts with FPS with the Wii. I loved Wii Sports and Wii Play (I don't care what the reviewers say it's an awesome game packed in with the controller!!) but Red Steel just made me hurl chunks. Awful controls and 1st generation GCN graphics don't cut it. Especially after experiencing TP in full 480p goodness!!!

I like the FPS controls on Wii.. just no good actual games have used the controls yet. FarCry was boring and predictable, and ugly, red steel was the same, throwing small groups of enemies at you, broken up by a sword battle. And Call of Duty 3 was pretty boring too.

I think Metroid Prime will show us how it should be done.

[quote name='oni-link']after playing red steel I have serious doubts with FPS with the Wii. I loved Wii Sports and Wii Play (I don't care what the reviewers say it's an awesome game packed in with the controller!!) but Red Steel just made me hurl chunks. Awful controls and 1st generation GCN graphics don't cut it. Especially after experiencing TP in full 480p goodness!!![/QUOTE]

I hope you at least gave it two hours to get into the game. Its actually decent not great but decent. My favorite part was running around in the dark fun house with the mimes and mannequins.

From what I've played, Red Steel was pretty damn fun for the four hours. But like many other people's Wii I've yet to really play with it alot lately. heh. I was thinking of buying Far Cry just because It's so damn cheap, but I know Rival Swords would be the better buy at $20. Hmm. Decisions. Decisions...

[quote name='CyrixD']
P.S. Is there some way you could price match this at BB and use the $5 off coupon? I just love using those things...[/QUOTE]

i've tried to use the coupon with a price match from cc, but no luck. its one or the other.

I dont care how low Far Cry gets...I refuse to give money to lazy developers so they can continue to make games like Blazing Angels, Rival Swords, blah...blah...blah. Ubi Soft is lucky they released Red Steel before they got port happy or that game wouldnt have sold nearly as much. Speaking of which...Red Steel looks like the same engine from XIII. Sorry...just ranting about missed opportunities by lazy developers.

About damn time something dropped to $20. While they may suck, it saves me some money on Sonic and the Secret Rings. Buying a used version might be logical if the store by me actually had any copies and a new one with the trade in offer would actually save me about $10.

If the used prices actually drop, I'd probably flip these for SPM... assuming the standard $18 used price, that'd be about $33 after tax and edge, a $17 to $20 saving (depending upon tax) on SPM.

Yeah wampa8jedi it's $17.99 used, I found out in store today....

The trade in 2 for 1 deal is good through at least the second week of April so hopefully this means a $36 Super Paper Mario fro me :)

[quote name='freshzen']Yeah wampa8jedi it's $17.99 used, I found out in store today....

The trade in 2 for 1 deal is good through at least the second week of April so hopefully this means a $36 Super Paper Mario fro me :)[/QUOTE]
Both are still listed as $34.99 used on the web site. Do they ring up as $17.99 in-store, or do you have to point at that new copies are $19.99 so that they can manually adjust them?

[quote name='D. Monic']Both are still listed as $34.99 used on the web site. Do they ring up as $17.99 in-store, or do you have to point at that new copies are $19.99 so that they can manually adjust them?[/quote]
Yeah wampa8jedi it's $17.99 used, I found out in store today....

:p There's your answer. The site is VERY slow with updating used price drops when the new copies drop in price.

[quote name='62t']but you have to pay tax for the 2 $20 games and thats like $3.50. Might as well just user a Gamer's gift card at best buy[/quote]unless you have some magical best buy that doesn't charge tax, you save money.

gamestop: pay $40+tax
best buy: pay $45+tax

40+tax < 45+tax. easy.

[quote name='CyrixD']P.S. Is there some way you could price match this at BB and use the $5 off coupon? I just love using those things...[/quote][quote name='sguttmann']i've tried to use the coupon with a price match from cc, but no luck. its one or the other.[/quote]It's very possible. I haven't had any problems with a PM + coupon at BB. 3 times in the last 2 weeks, once w/ a CC ad, the other two w/ a Target ad. At both local BBs.

I'd say it's always worth a shot...but it's very YMMV, I guess, depending on the managers at your store. Maybe I'm just lucky.

[quote name='D. Monic']Well, it appears we have our first games to drop to $20 for the Wii. Unfortunately, they suck. But since they technically qualify as a deal, I figured I'd post. Hopefully some "good" games will drop next.

Far Cry Vengeance:
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=230041

Open Season:
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=230043

Note that they're both Ubisoft games, the king of quick price drops.[/quote]

J&R Music and Computer World Has these for $20, but if you are a first time user of google checkout you get $10 off, with slow shipping, it is a little over $12. I guess you could use them for trade next time a 2 for 1 offer is around.

All the Farcry games sucked on consoles(including the Wii). The AI just ruined the whole game. The enemies were brain dead. The PC version is a classic.

[quote name='fshaia']J&R Music and Computer World Has these for $20, but if you are a first time user of google checkout you get $10 off, with slow shipping, it is a little over $12. I guess you could use them for trade next time a 2 for 1 offer is around.[/quote]

Thanks man! Picked up Far Cry for $12.94 doing this. I liked Far Cry on my Xbox. Wasn't great, but I enjoyed it. I think this game will be good enough for the price, since if I just rented it, it wouldn't be much cheaper.

[quote name='D. Monic']Both are still listed as $34.99 used on the web site.[/QUOTE]

That was exactly what I said and the employee was bored so he scanned it at, came up as $17.99. I've actually found all that pretty much all GBC games listed on the website are priced higher than what they will be in store...prices online and B&M aren't always the same.

Listed on the website and also good instore.
http://www.gamestop.com/search.asp?N=138+73&SHOWUB=true

Open Season Wii
New $19.99
Used $17.99

Far Cry Vengeance
New $19.99
Used $17.99

Picked up a used Far Cry. Gotta say I feel bad for anyone who paid $50.

If you get one of each used you can get a New $49.99 Wii game of your choice for under $35 with the Edge/More card.

Forgot to add that the site hasn't updated the price of the used games yet but it is good in store.

For anyone taking advantage of that $12.94 price from J&R, keep in mind that Far Cry and Open Season for Wii are each worth $21.75 in cash ($26.10 in credit) at FYE.

If anyone's going to try to get one of each and then trade it in to Gamestop, please post how it goes. I'm wary to try it, since I feel like they'll say those games aren't worth $49.99 or something, and then I'll be stuck with Open Season (Far Cry I can live with).

[quote name='CyrixD']If anyone's going to try to get one of each and then trade it in to Gamestop, please post how it goes. I'm wary to try it, since I feel like they'll say those games aren't worth $49.99 or something, and then I'll be stuck with Open Season (Far Cry I can live with).[/quote]
They can't stop you. The ONLY exclusions there are are Wii Sports, any possible demos and Wii Play. They excludes Wii Play because everyone' basically buying the game for the remote and trading in the game.

[quote name='Tsukento']They can't stop you. The ONLY exclusions there are are Wii Sports, any possible demos and Wii Play. They excludes Wii Play because everyone' basically buying the game for the remote and trading in the game.[/QUOTE]

This makes it very tempting for SPM since Far Cry can be had for about $7 after Price Grabber rebate. Hmmm...

[quote name='MrNEWZ']This makes it very tempting for SPM since Far Cry can be had for about $7 after Price Grabber rebate. Hmmm...[/QUOTE]
Explain please.

bread's done
Back