rare ps2 games

Some that come to mind are Marvel vs Capcom 2 (isnt this one about the rarest out there?), SMT: Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga (Part 1 moreso than 2), Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance II, Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence limited Edition, Growlanser Deluxe, Jurassic Park operation Genesis, Firefighter FD 18, the Fatal Frame series (dont think they are as hard to find as the previous games), Guilty Gear X-2, the first Shadow Hearts. Thats all that comes to mind at the moment.

[quote name='jah2004']Some that come to mind are Marvel vs Capcom 2 (isnt this one about the rarest out there?), SMT: Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga (Part 1 moreso than 2), Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance II, Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence limited Edition, Growlanser Deluxe, Jurassic Park operation Genesis, Firefighter FD 18, the Fatal Frame series (dont think they are as hard to find as the previous games), Guilty Gear X-2, the first Shadow Hearts. Thats all that comes to mind at the moment.[/quote]

Got a good list going on there.
I'd add in RE 4 premium & Final Fantasy X non gh (sealed) that is.

Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance NEW/sealed is quite rare as well.

With the exception of Growlancer Deluxe and MGS:S LE, I've seen every other game listed here within the last month. I don't think there are very many rare PS2 games that are worth owning. There are, however, very many overvalued games out there (MVC2) that are seen as rare.

What the deal with rare games threads for each console? Are you collector or ebayer? Anyway j-fever "current-gen rare game" topic is mostly correct. When i assume rare, your not consider the low print run, but instead that fetchs good value on ebay. For me, I only consider metal gear le, resident evil le and marvel vs capcom 2 rare since print run is very low and very high in demand, which makes impossible to find in stores

shin megami digital saga 1
shin megam nocturne
marvel vs capcom 2
firefighter fd
metal gear limited edition
metal gear documentary
metal gear 2 substance
world of outlaws
resident evil limited edition
pto iv
barbie horse adventures
Hack Gu Limited Edition (not rare, but some strange reason it fetches so high in ebay)
monter rancher 4
guy game
karaoke revolution vol1
karaoke revolution vol2
karaoke revolution vol3
digimon rumble arena 2
culdcept
Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 2
ico (some reason climbing up in value even though it is common)
Aterlier Iris 1
jurassic park operation genesis
monopoly party
shadow hearts 1
way of samurai 2
suikoden v(very common, just goes high on ebay)
we love katamari (getting bit harder to find due to demand, still relatively easy to find)
granida xtreme
fatal frame 1
fatal frame 2 crimson butterfly
fatal frame 3
guilty gear x2
king of fighters 02/03
ace combat 5 flight stick bundle
futurama

[quote name='j-fever']check my signature, the list is maybe a little out of date, but mostly valid[/QUOTE]

Pretty thorough list. I'd say I have everything off of that list that I have any interest in except for three - Guilty Gear X-2 (which I had & got rid of - doh! #-o ), Marvel vs. Capcom 2 & Way of the Samurai 2. Of those three, I'd most like to get WotS 2 - the other 2 I don't have a huge interest in, but would pick them up if I ran across a good deal on them.

Many rare games, of course, only have value for collector's purposes. In other words, the games suck. Case in point, Firefighter FD 18. I had that game, but traded it off to Rhino last year (who gave me $30 or so for it). I told them that I realized that the ONLY reason I was keeping it because it was rare - and rare crap is still crap.

Also, I don't get the whole "Game X, if it's sealed" thing. I suppose ANY game sealed will become rare at some point, just because most normal people open games.

EDIT: BTW, I decided to track down the Karaoke games about a month or two ago for my wife. In a week's time, I got a sealed Karaoke 2 from someone on CAG & the Karaoke 3 bundle on clearance at Target. My local EB has Karaoke 1 new, but I don't really want to give them $30 for it. I may break down & do so tho just to complete the set.

There are plenty of "rare" games, just most you literally have never seen and never heard of, mostly because they suck and are nearly worthless. Try to locate some of the following (especially complete copies):

Document of Metal Gear Solid 2
ESPN X-Games Snowboarding 2002
Evolution Snowboarding
Ferrari F355 Challenge
Futurama (actually is somewhat valuable)
MLS: Extra Time
Soccer America: International Cup (I believe that was a rental only game)
Whiteout
Yanya Caballista: City Skater (with the finger board)

Some others:

Adventures of Cookie and Cream
Dual Hearts
Firefighter FD18
Growlanser Deluxe
Karaoke Revolution 1, 2, 3 (1 and 3 especially in bundle format)
Marvel vs Capcom 2
MGS3: LE
RE4: PE

You arent likely to see any of those in a store unless you are willing to drive quite a distance in some cases. There are more games that are slightly less rare than those that I have skipped over.

In the scheme of collecting games, none of these are actually "rare." They all have quite a large amount of copies in comparison to older games, its just that not many circulate due to demand plus lower print runs. For example, I would have absolutely no problem whatsoever in finding the MGS3: LE, I would just have to cough up $120-200 for it.

Blood Will Tell is IMO a classic. A great story, hard to find, worth playing. You can probably score a copy for around $20 if you can find one.
Also Noteworthy mentions:
Samurai Champloo: Sidetracked
Monster Hunter
Katamari Damacy

mainly a collector, since I'm missed out on all these games the first time. Ebay is an idea, but I want to play most of the games!

[quote name='sandrokstar']Blood Will Tell is IMO a classic. A great story, hard to find, worth playing. You can probably score a copy for around $20 if you can find one.[/quote]

DORORO PUNCH!

.dot hack the EB/GS exclusive edition should be considered rare, for each EB/GS only got one shipment, and that was it. There was hardly any interest in it at the time, due to FFXII coming out the next week.

Like some have said, Some of the worst games out there have had very few copies made.

other "rare" games...sealed original Square Enix games. Since the fan base is so large.

[quote name='Dhuk'].dot hack the EB/GS exclusive edition should be considered rare, for each EB/GS only got one shipment, and that was it. There was hardly any interest in it at the time, due to FFXII coming out the next week.

other "rare" games...sealed original Square Enix games. Since the fan base is so large.[/quote]

The .dot Hack GU LE wasnt' that rare. One Gamestop around me got so many that they suppied other stores for months. It just dropped to $39.99 too. They still had some last week.

And, I know it's harder to find sealed games, but I won't pay any more for a sealed game than an open one that doesn't have any scratches on it. And I wouldn't buy a game that's scratched. But hey, that's just me.

I don't understand why people care so much about GH vs non GH games... I think it's just a manufactured difference so that sellers can add value to their games ;-p

MGS3:Subsistence Limited Edition is probably the rarest in terms of print run, with Marvel Vs. capcom 2 coming in second I think?

[quote name='kingsoby1']I don't understand why people care so much about GH vs non GH games... I think it's just a manufactured difference so that sellers can add value to their games ;-p[/quote]

Most it's collectors that whine that it's got the red stripe cause it stands out in their collection. I honestly got tired of finding non-GH and just grab the first copy that's complete Non-Gh or not.

Out of the games listed, I have yet to see Silent Hill 3 listed. Just try finding a complete copy of that with the soundtrack.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Out of the games listed, I have yet to see Silent Hill 3 listed. Just try finding a complete copy of that with the soundtrack.[/quote]
Konami's website for $19.99?

See, these lists are hilarious, because I own ICO, BG DA II, Blood Will Tell(got it used in great shape for $5), Monster Hunter from CC's 4th of July sale last year and Katamari Damacy I've had.

I also have The Guy Game, which I bought for UNDER $20 from a pawn shop locally. And, I found Mister Mosquito, which some consider 'rare' from the same shop I got my used Blood Will Tell from for $6.

Some games are just PERCEIVED to be rare, when in some areas, they are quite common.

It's not to say that they're NOT rare in some areas, but not all over. I mean, ICO was part of the Sears clearance, which I got for $10.

But, anyone who posts a game on Ebay can put 'RARE' in the title and if enough people follow suit, eventually you begin to believe it too. Doesn't make them rare though.

To take the other fence, just because you lucked out during a clearance, doesn't eliminate an item from being rare. If anything, a clearance is a good indication an item may well be rare in the years ahead. There was a time when now rare games like Panzer Dragoon Saga or Radiant Silvergun could be had at a Toysrus clearance. But those days are long gone.
Ico may not be super rare, but it is becoming rare. It cannot be easily found online outside of Ebay where it goes for a healthy $20-$30+ used.
A pawn shop is not a good indication of rarity for any items, let alone videogames. Unless the proprietor is an avid gamer and collector of games.
Consider yourself fortunate that you can locate certain titles during their waning days, in 1-3 years most of these titles will not be readily available.

Picked up FireFighter FD 18 complete and mint for $4 from a guy that was about to trade it in for $2.25. w00t

I think my local store has SH3 used w/ soundtrack, i'll check in an hour or two and pick it up for you guys if it's complete.

Damn, I wish I was into collecting back when I worked at EB. I've seen so many copies of all those games, had I been wiser I would have picked them up.

Samurai Champloo is rare? Really?! I got acopy sealed in my house for some reason and was planning on trading it in for $10 or so.

Majority of some of those "rare" games listed I bought for less then $15 (only exception being MGS3: Subsistence Limited Edition). Also would the MG Saga DVD that came with Subsistence even count as same league rare as Subsistence LE?

[quote name='jah2004']Some that come to mind are Marvel vs Capcom 2 (isnt this one about the rarest out there?), SMT: Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga (Part 1 moreso than 2), Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance II, Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence limited Edition, Growlanser Deluxe, Jurassic Park operation Genesis, Firefighter FD 18, the Fatal Frame series (dont think they are as hard to find as the previous games), Guilty Gear X-2, the first Shadow Hearts. Thats all that comes to mind at the moment.[/QUOTE]

I've done my best to collect every Guncon 2 game on the PS2. I remember playing the Firefighter game in an arcade in Vegas once. Is the PS2 version compatible with the Guncon 2? Also, is Silent Scope on PS2 compatible. Sorry that this question is a bit off topic.

This is awesome actually because I have been collecting PS2 RPGS and am moving into other harder to find games, so lets keep em coming!!

it wasnt me i didnt really pay attention just seen it in the newest post section. Its a great last minute time to get those collectors for the ps2. I was at a hollywood video/game crazy close store today and picked up growlanser limited ed. New sealed marked 40 but than got 30% off that also picked up a couple used movies. The games were picked threw. Hollywood and game crazy are closing and there are some deals

[quote name='vherub']To take the other fence, just because you lucked out during a clearance, doesn't eliminate an item from being rare. If anything, a clearance is a good indication an item may well be rare in the years ahead. There was a time when now rare games like Panzer Dragoon Saga or Radiant Silvergun could be had at a Toysrus clearance. But those days are long gone.
Ico may not be super rare, but it is becoming rare. It cannot be easily found online outside of Ebay where it goes for a healthy $20-$30+ used.
A pawn shop is not a good indication of rarity for any items, let alone videogames. Unless the proprietor is an avid gamer and collector of games.
Consider yourself fortunate that you can locate certain titles during their waning days, in 1-3 years most of these titles will not be readily available.[/QUOTE]

A lot of factors are tied to a game's rarity. Even if a game isn't rare, it can rise to the level of rarity merely because there are fewer people willing to part with it. Let's fact it, FFVII is not rare in terms of print-runs but even GH versions were selling for $50-60 at one point. FFVII was made rarer by the fact that fewer and fewer gamers were willing to sell theirs. I suspect games like ICO might be suffering from the same fate, though I suspect the print-run for that title was markedly smaller.

Oddly, a lot of rare games tend to be badly reviewed games. Let's face it, a lot of the titles being talked about here aren't exactly stellar titles -- reminds me of Sword of Berzerk for the DC -- now that was an allegedly rare title that was hardly "worth" playing. Sure, some collectors will pay anything for rarity nowadays, but fact is that rarity does not equal quality.

While I enjoy collecting, I suppose I also like to have quality titles -- so I'd rather try to hunt down, for example, a mint copy of Gitaroo Man, rather than try to find the mint copy of Samuari Champloo :)

[quote name='bjstucker']I actually have a mint of Gitaroo man.[/QUOTE]

So do I -- it's an excellent game. Shame more people haven't played it.

Gitaroo-Man isn't that are anymore, thought still uncommon, because of reprints. Same with Rez, Disgaea, Okami, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, etc.

[quote name='MasterSun1']Gitaroo-Man isn't that are anymore, thought still uncommon, because of reprints. Same with Rez, Disgaea, Okami, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, etc.[/QUOTE]

Marvel vs. Capcom 2 was never reprinted for PS2.

If it's value dropped at all it's because it's available on the 360 and PS3, and that version has online play.

Rule of Rose is probably the rarist game I know of. It's banned ohmost everywhere and barely made it to where I am. I have only seen 1 copy on a shelf 1 time, and I bought it.

bread's done
Back