Want to Hook 360 into HD TV through HDMI/DVI slot

andrew333

CAGiversary!
I am a newbie to HDMI and DVI (no clue what they mean, how they work etc.) so please forgive me if this is a stupid question.

I just got a new HD TV and I would like to hook my 360 up through an HDMI/DVI slot if there is no disadvantage to doing so. I have a launch Xbox 360 and would prefer to use my Component Cable slots for other things.

The questions:

Is this possible? And, if so, what do I need?

Thanks in advance

Component is really the only way for your xbox 360 to run. If you want to trade your 360 in, Microsoft is releasing a new XBOX 360 (elite) which will have a HDMI output on it. It comes out April 29th and it also includes a 120GB hard drive. DVI unfortuanely does not work on 360.

HDMI and DVI are digital signals. Your xbox can only output analog signals via component and/or VGA.

If you got an Xbox 360 elite, however, you could hook it up to your tv via an HDMI connection.

If your tv doesn't have a VGA connector, you can buy a VGA to DVI connector like THESE.

(shop around, you can get a cheaper one)

OR you could just get a component switcher like THIS one and avoid the problem in the future.

[quote name='andrew333']thanks gang

would the vga to dvi connector degrade the quality of my hd picture?[/quote]

I wouldn't think so. I think all it does is change the pin locations so it can accept the signal and fit on the DVI connector.

Before you try a VGA/DVI adapter, check your TV's manual and make sure its ports are DVI-I. Nearly all are DVI-D (digital only) and thus won't accept an analog signal (like VGA) even if you use an adapter. Both of my TVs are DVI-D only.

If you don't have the manual, you'll have to look at the DVI port itself. There's a section of the connector that has a bunch of pin holes, and a section that has blade holes (like a power outlet, only smaller). If the blade holes are in a cross formation, you have a DVI-I port and the VGA/DVI adapter might work. If there is just one blade hole parallel to the direction of the connecor, then it's DVI-D and the adapter won't even physically attach to the TV, let alone give you a picture.

bread's done
Back