Purchasing a Videogame store: What would make you want to come to my place?

bingbangboom

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
I will be getting my own self-owned videogame store later this year. It competes against Gamestop, EB Games and various other stores. They do have a certain ideas to attract gamers like monthly tournaments and allowing you to try a game before you buy policy.

What are some of your other ideas and things you hate about the other guys? Would take all ideas and input. I have my own ideas like possibly free silly tournaments like "Worst Game Ever" or "NES Classic" like a duck hunt tournament. Maybe a Virtual Console tournament.

SO, whatcha think?

I think a B&M "Rent to Buy" policy would be cool. Like $8 for a wekk, if you want to keep it, pay the rest, if not, bring it back Would take some of the sting out of buying a new game sight-unseen.

Maybe a points card system? You know, spend X amount in the store and get X amount off your next purchase? Could keep some repeat buyers there, or a reason for them to buy from you rather than EB/GS even if the prices are the same.

Get involved with the competitive community. Like have Smash, VF5, etc tournaments on a weekly basis. Go to their respective websites or contact someone there and get them to plug it.

Aside from that, just be competitive with your trade ins and pricing, and you should be able to get people in the store as long as they KNOW that it exists.

Another thing that should help against Gamestop is taking older stuff that they dont take any more.

Just make sure your store policy makes it where employees aren't assholes like in EB due to trying to get most sales.

Possibly have the used games split into two: complete and incomplete. First comers get the completes while, if there are no complete copys of the game, they customer gets the incomplete... though all this not to the customer's knowledge.

Maybe have something similar to the Edge card. You could give them cheap, or free at first, and it may encourage people to frequent your store in the future.

Don't gut games like EB and Gamestop do or if you must, don't gut multiple copies like EB and Gamestop do for big name games.

I would also offer higher trade in values if you are going to buy used games. For example if EB gives $2.00 on a game that they are selling for $12.99 used, I would offer $4.00, you are giving twice as much credit but still have a large profit margin even if you were to sell the same game for $11.99 used

As I read about people's poor experiences with EB/GS, it's usually about the quality of used titles. While mom n pop operations stand little chance of success, I wonder if offering a higher trade-in value than EB/GS would help if you only bought complete, near-mint/mint games?

That way, you could charge more for used titles than EB/GS, but have a rational reason for it. When you go to your store for a used game, you know it's fuckin' cherry.

And do what you can to ensure you have new titles on release day. Nothing spurns instant-gratification brat motherfucking gamers like getting a new pre-ordered release in a *whole day late*. I'm sure you know this, though.

As others have said, tournaments.

To run with a suggestion someone posted above, when you have both complete and incomplete copies (or, perhaps, copies with damaged packages) of used games, don't price them all at the same price. A disc only copy of a game shouldn't cost the same as a complete copy. There shouldn't be a huge price difference, but there should be a bit.

Also - import. Something the big guys can't compete as much on. Importing a title here and there is expensive when you factor in shipping... However, if you import in "bulk", you can save on the shipping, sell it to the customers a wee bit cheaper than they can buy it and they don't have to wait quite as long.

Don't give up on the older systems. Granted, don't stock your shelves with 57 copies of SMB/Duck Hunt for the NES, but don't focus only on this generation. I will go clear out of my way to go to a store that I know carries older games.

Keep the store clean and make it easy to look at your inventory. I greatly dislike stores that seem to have an awesome amount of older games, but you can't see half the titles. Even if the employees are more than happy to stand there and sort through them for you, I'm less inclined to make them do it... but I'd spend as much time as I need if I can take my time.

Carry accessories that the big box stores don't. Replacement power cables, video cables, etc. So many people ask for these on a weekly basis that a store like Wal*Mart should carry them, but they generally don't.

Depending on your floor space, consider a few arcade games. Most arcade vendors will happily put a few machines in and switch them out if they're making good money. Typically, they set up the machine and maintain it and split the money it makes 50/50. Look around town and see what arcade machines are out there. If you see some you like, look on them for a vendor's name/number to get hooked up.

Some people are suggesting rental programs... make sure you look into the legal aspects of this - I believe you are required to purchase "rental copies" that cost a bit more... Not 100% certian though.

Most importantly, give me a 50% discount on everything I purchase. That will get me into your store on a regular basis.

Where will this cag-owned shop be located?

Thanks for the comments. Here are a couple of things...

1. The store layout has kiosk for every console, these are I believe 27" Widescreen HD LCD TVs. This includes Dreamcast, SNES, N64 and others as well as the Next Gen Consoles.

2. The pricing is by the store owner but typically the POS system does give better prices than the other stores. As a new store I can't really give much more than the other stores. I mean thats how you make the money.

3. Can't do the stripper cashiers, this is part of a franchise. Customer service is really key to it. Heck, I am an asshole but im a fun one. That really depends on hiring practices. If I don't like the way an employee is treating someone then they are out.

4. Don't really know whatcha meant buy "gutting" games. Please explain.

5. Tournaments are run once a month at least. I can do it more. Typical fee is $5 per a person. Reason for the fee is well, to get people to the store. Some profit but also used for prizes, food and buying games or consoles for the tournament. I could do free tournamnets just for fun or maybe an event ala retro games.

6. I used to work at Toys R Us a few years ago in the videogame section and just felt I wish I had total control. So your talking about around 5 years have having this idea and now I am at the point I just want to jump in.

7. I would like a free card for customers to gain promotions. It really depends on profit. Giving potential free money is easy but it really depends on how people use it. I personally will not do cash trade ins. It is not a pawn shop. But that is just me.

I dunno if anyone's stated this but as far as sales and popularity go, have some sort of gaming celebrity stop by for a signing or just spread a rumor that Elijah Wood shops at your store.

People to consider:
Fat1l1ty
Cliffy B
Suicide Girls... :booty:

>4. Don't really know whatcha meant buy "gutting" games. Please explain.

Gutting a game is something many stores do, in particular with GBA games. If you go to EB/GS with a GBA game, complete in box with manual and such, they'll throw out everything but the game and sell it by itself. Which is stupid.

[quote name='bingbangboom']Thanks for the comments. Here are a couple of things...

1. The store layout has kiosk for every console, these are I believe 27" Widescreen HD LCD TVs. This includes Dreamcast, SNES, N64 and others as well as the Next Gen Consoles.

2. The pricing is by the store owner but typically the POS system does give better prices than the other stores. As a new store I can't really give much more than the other stores. I mean thats how you make the money.

3. Can't do the stripper cashiers, this is part of a franchise. Customer service is really key to it. Heck, I am an asshole but im a fun one. That really depends on hiring practices. If I don't like the way an employee is treating someone then they are out.

4. Don't really know whatcha meant buy "gutting" games. Please explain.

5. Tournaments are run once a month at least. I can do it more. Typical fee is $5 per a person. Reason for the fee is well, to get people to the store. Some profit but also used for prizes, food and buying games or consoles for the tournament. I could do free tournamnets just for fun or maybe an event ala retro games.

6. I used to work at Toys R Us a few years ago in the videogame section and just felt I wish I had total control. So your talking about around 5 years have having this idea and now I am at the point I just want to jump in.

7. I would like a free card for customers to gain promotions. It really depends on profit. Giving potential free money is easy but it really depends on how people use it. I personally will not do cash trade ins. It is not a pawn shop. But that is just me.[/quote]
Gutting a game is where you open a new game to put an empty box on the shelf and then proceed to sell that "used" game as a "new" one. It helps with the shoplifting, but sucks when you stop at GS and get a new game that's been opened and covered with stickers.

I NEVER buy a gutted game. EVER.

TBW

PS Good luck, you are going to need it. If you become too much of a problem for the EB/GS, they will do their best to run you into the ground. As much as I love video games, I wouldn't try to compete against them, they have a lot more money, can break even for a year while you get run out of business and once you are gone, up the prices. Walmart does this shit all the time, so beware.

PPS I guess that what UncleBob says is true as well. When I hear "gutted" though, I always think of new games. That and a great line from "The Rock"...."I'd take pleasure in guttin you....boy"

What I was referring to is when EB gets in a game, they take one copy or in some cases multiple copies, open them up and take the disc out and leave it behind the register and put the empty case on the shelf for customers to look at and then when it's the last copy left, it is sold as new even though it is opened

100_0355.jpg

8. No rentals. Sorry, but honestly you have Gamefly for that already. New games you don't really make a profit from at all. So say giving a game to someone to loan for a week for $8 thus making it used. You can try the game before you buy it. Although that doesn't make it a "used" title. I know people get fishy about that but its more like a service for you to try. In addition you can rent a game cheaper than $8 a week.

9. On getting new games on time. Well that is an issue with all stores. The vendor system is the same used by Gamestop and EB. I won't be pushing pre-orders. Sure we can inform customers, but then again your profit is not with new games. So, might not get the new release on the exact day but then again, I don;t have 20 people pissed that I don't have the game. Possibly like a free call program where we can inform you when a game you wanted is in. That way there is no money down.

10. Imports are hard because your profit just looses right there. Can't really order a game in bulk that is in japaneese. Well not unless I open up in Japan. Sorry no luck there, there is a major reason why you don't see import games in stores, well Best Buy just started. Go to PlayAsia for that fix.

11. I don't know about accessories and such, especially on items that are already packaged with the box. Your talking power cables, av inputs. Controllers and memory card are a yes, but you won't see 30 power adapters.

12. Will be located in Delaware, home for your tax free shopping!

Again, it is pretty early on but every sign is point at yes so far. Just hope everythign goes through ala Small Business Loan and that stuff.

Any time you have someone bring in Madden, punch them in the throat.

Any time you have someone bring in a game minus the case/instructions, punch them in the throat.

Any time you have someone bring in a week old new release minus the case/instructions, punch them in the throat... twice.

13. Oh well, I honestly don't know. I think that has happened to me once. I know at Toys R Us, we started to get in dummy cases where we would already have new titles pre-printed with a dvd case. I am honestly not that picky with things like that. So more than likely it will happen. If the game hasn't been used and is sealed, then whats the difference?

[quote name='bingbangboom']13. Oh well, I honestly don't know. I think that has happened to me once. I know at Toys R Us, we started to get in dummy cases where we would already have new titles pre-printed with a dvd case. I am honestly not that picky with things like that. So more than likely it will happen. If the game hasn't been used and is sealed, then whats the difference?[/quote]

You may not be that picky, but a lot of people are...and since we are the customers, you might want to listen to us. We are not always right, but we are the customer, and if you don't take care of us, then someone else will.

Also, it looks like you have shot down a lot of the suggestions (imports, accessories and the like). I know that you will have a business to run, but these are the things that will set you apart from the craptacular competition.

If this is an established business, consider this....why is the current owner selling? If they are making money, there should be good reason. Also, I think that you mentioned you are part of a franchise? If so, what kind of rules and crap are they going to force on you?

One last though, offer extra $$ for complete games...if you have them, people who look for those things will know to stop at your store first. It doesn't have to be a lot, just a little something.

TBW

In regards to imports - I don't expect you to order a bunch of the same title or such, but here's an example. I went to order something from Play Asia the other day and it had $9 shipping. I added a few other items that I liked but didn't really *need* because it helped to even out the shipping a bit (it went from $9 for one item to $15 for four items, or less than $4 each).

If you were to order a few items each month that you know would sell, you could distribute the shipping across each of the items (and, perhaps, special order import items for customers) then mark up the item from there. For example, the item I purchased would have cost me $34 if I purchased it by itself. Since I bought other items with it, it was "only" $29. I would have glady went into a store and bought it for $35 - or a 17% mark up... which is pretty good in comparison to what you're going to make on a lot of stuff. Meanwhile I get an item I don't have to wait 10 days or more on and I'm a very happy customer.

Additionally, if I'm correct, Play Asia has a program where they sell to resellers at a discounted rate... but I might be making that up.

For accessories... if a small store isn't interested in carrying replacement accessories, a large store sure won't. And if neither of those types of stores do, that leaves the customer without a place to get them. About once a week, I would sent a customer to store.nintendo.com to order a replacement power cord for their kid's GBA/DS because we didn't carry them at our Wal*Mart (we do now). Likewise, we sell a ton of the crappy universal RF adapters simply because getting a replacement RCA video cable is near impossible. I sell about one of these every week to someone who's looking for the RCA version...

I say - come up with a list of game suggestions that your employees can use for clueless gift-buying moms and dads.

You know - something like

Clueless Mom: I'm looking for a good PS2 game for my son, he's 16 and likes shooting stuff
Employee: (looks at chart) How about RE4?

Clueless Dad: I need a PS2 game for my 7-year-old daughter
Employee: (looks at chart) How about Katamari Damacy?

And Good Luck!

That store looks fantastic.

You show the inside of that store to people in a commercial and they will come. I would shop there just because it looks so nice. Love the black.

When someone brings in a used game, challenge them to a vs match and if they can beat you, you give them an extra 10%.

All new games $5 off on the day you get them in store.

no scripted hello's from your employees. That shit is beyond annoying and one of the main reasons i stopped shopping at gamestop.

Most importantly. Hire people who KNOW games. Seriously, ask them in the interview straight up to name a new game coming out for each of the current systems.

Try to have official Pokemon Club events there. Seriously, at the Hastings i go to, I was there one night when they had a tourney and there must have been 25 people there participating.

Good luck with the store.

Low Prices, you must be competitive, don't expect people to come into your store if your prices are higher than ebgames or gamestop. For example if ebgames is charging 8$ for a game used then don't charge more than that. If people see that your store is overpriced they will just hit forums like this one, ebay or your competitors for lower prices. I would not support an overpriced store, and if I come into the store once and see prices that are very out of whack (and I can buy the item on ebay for less) then I will likely never enter the store again.

Don't pressure customers into buying things they do not need like warranties and magazine subscriptions. This will probably not be an issue with an independent video game store. Also do not force games and accessories down your customers throat when they clearly don't want them. A simple, do you have any questions about this system or would you like any games or accessories with this system would be just fine if a customer is buying a system.

Price things based on condition, that old gba that is missing the battery cover and with a screen so heavily scratched you cannot even view the game, that some kid traded in is not worth more than 5$ to a customer. However a pristine condition system in the box should fetch a lot more than a junker system. Another area where gamestop fails, they do not price things based on condition, they just have a universal price for every item. So you might end up paying 59.99 for a scratched to heck GBA SP when you can get the same thing on ebay for about 30$ (I just bought a GBA SP on ebay for 33$ shipped with 3 games).

I would also suggest instituing a policy where you do not accept disks in horrible condition, or games in horrible condition. This is where gamestop fails completely, they will take anything you trade them and stick it right back on the shelf as soon as its traded in without ever doing anything to it. This is bad. If you can develop a reputation for carrying a good quality used product then you might be able to garner the customers that ebgames and gamestop has turned off. I would gladly pay a couple dollars extra for a complete and good condition copy of a game that includes the manual. There is a store in a fleamarket here that has been around for years and has a policy where they absolutely do not accept disks or games in horrible scratched condition, plus they have really low prices, I am now shopping there on a consistent basis instead of giving my money to gamestop for junk. If they can manage to do it so can you.

Presentable merchandise. We do not want filthy dirty, stickered up games thank you. We do not want nasty smelling dust covered systems. This stuff can be removed easily but its a pain to do, especially for your average customer that does not know too much about video games and how to take care of them. The store in the fleamarket knows how to do this, I see stuff that looks like it just came from my house there. Again this is an area where gamestop fails miserably with their stickered up and dirty games, often it takes me 30 min just to clean a game I get from there which translates to less play time for me.

Carry the stuff Gamestop DOESN'T. Gamestop and Gamecrazy have now pretty much discontinued the sale of older games, leaving some people with ebay as the only major alternative when finding an older game you want for your collection. A good selection of PS1, N64 and all older systems will bring people in, and you will get lots of trade in's from these systems. Tip : NES stuff is really hot right now, especially the most common games! This is another way you could step ahead of your competition, offer something that they do not. Gamestop has lost A LOT of business from me because they no longer carry stuff for past-gen systems.

Customer service, don't pester the customers, we do not want to be pestered. I agree about the scripted "hello's" thats so generic and very annoying. If it was slow instead you could have your employees ask a question like "what systems do you own", or another gaming related question. This would also help you gauge the customer, if you had 10 people come in, in one day that said they had an Xbox and wanted xbox games, then you could stock more of those. It will also create a more positive experience with the customers. When its busy do not try to sell a customer every product in the store... another thing gamestop does, when its busy instruct employees to move the lines along as quickly as possible.

Try to find employees that know something about games (not just employees that can push a product), this should not be too hard to do. Maybe let customers try out used games before they buy them, try to have some systems available and a TV so people can try out games. This way you can get people to believe in your product and you can assure them that you are not selling them a broken or non working game.

Become the first franchise to start selling tri-wing screwdrivers? I don't know if a store in the states carries them, but I would love to walk into a store and pick one up instead of ordering one.

I know modding voids warranties, but perhaps have a modding contest to see which mods (console redesigns, changing lights) would be the coolest. Of course, this assumes folks in your area are techies.

Always have a nice looking girl as a cashier. Whenever a hot cashier ask me do I need help or want anything I always have to buy something even I just want to browse on used or new game lol ^___^;

If you are opening a play and trade, I would be very cautious. We have one here that opened a few months ago. They do hardly no business in comparison to gamestop, but they have a prime retail location (foot traffic wise). I personally am not impressed with them, seeing as how their price is exactly $1.00 cheaper than most other retail stores. Used games are often priced higher than GS/EB. They also have a "membership" that is $19.99 (according to the flyer) but I have no idea what this "membership" entails.

I give our local play and trade about 2 more months before they go out of business. The local store looks identical to the one you pictured.

Edit: The two guys that are running it right now are pricks. That doesn't help business any.

To parrot everyone else, the only reason I'd go into a local game store is if they had something I can't get anywhere else. For me, that reason would be imports, even though they are tough to get, but like another poster said, I'd pay a few dollars extra and get something that day rather than wait 2 weeks for Play-Asia. For others it may be local tournaments. Maybe it's carrying old games?

I can already get all my new games on sale / clearance at the big B&M retailers, and most local game stores that have been around here weren't able to get enough used trades to really have a good selection of used games.

And even though I don't shop at EB, local stores can never beat their buy 2 get 1 free.

To survive and make a name for yourself, you've got to provide something you CAN'T get at EB / GS / Best Buy... you have to give people a reason to stop shopping someplace that they know and like and try out something new.

You just have to find the one thing nobody else does, because being a game store with friendly service simply isn't good enough anymore.

I'm a girl. I just read through all this, the store looks great and I would be very happy to enter the store, if I lived in the area. It also looks very professional and well done.

I guess this brings up the obvious, DO NOT stereotype your customers. If a female comes in, do not assume she is looking for a gift for someone else, do not assume she just wants to play stuff like bejeweled and casual games or cooking mama. Thus if a male comes in, do not assume they want Madden or Halo, you might get a guy who is into older consoles and Japanese RPG's for all you know. Best buy and Gamecrazy do this to the extreme (Best buy is known to assume that if a woman comes into the store they want a kitchen appliance and nothing else, and the employees should try to sell that to them, they even have names like "Bob" set aside for their stereotyped customers, ugh). I will not walk into another gamecrazy store again after they tried to hire me. Don't try to hire people off the street, especially in an aggressive manner, very bad idea. If someone wants a job at your store they will ask for an application.

I also like the idea of having the games in a viewable area. Gamestop does this lovely thing where they place all the GBA games in this case near the register and you have to squat down on the floor and basically take a flashlight to see whats in the case. They cannot remove the shelves either for you to look at the games available, I already asked them that. Put the games at at least eye level, not so they are a few inches off the ground. Kmart and walmart are also great offenders of this.

Accessories are also a good idea, you don't have to have 30 adapters of the same kind in stock at all times but being able to buy a part in a store would be a good way to get me in there. Make sure you advertise that you carry these items. Instead the normal route for me is going to ebay and paying 10-15$ shipped for something that I could probably get for 5$ in a store... ugh again. I spent a long time trying to find a Genesis 1 AV cord and I still cannot find a place that sells Saturn AV cords separately. Adapters are also important, especially the DS/GBA SP adapter, that one seems to be very in-demand.

There's an independent used games/DVDs/CDs store near my in-laws that I like a lot. When you trade-in, the owner gives you 2/3 of the price for which he sells the item. So, if he sells a game for $30, you get $20 for trading it in. He accepts only games that are in good condition, with case and manual (except for older games like Game Boy, SNES, Genesis). His used prices are very reasonable; for example, DS games that sell for $20 new are $12, while DS games that sell for $30 new are $18.

Considering the size of the store (a little smaller than your average EB) and the fact that only 1/3 of it is games, he actually has a really good selection; I've seen games from all of the current consoles (Wii and Xbox 360 included), as well as retro games (Virtual Boy even) and a few (Saturn) imports. He has a pretty good selection of strategy guides, too, and they're all in good condition and run for $2-4.

He strikes a really good balance of items in good condition, selection, trade-in price, and sale price. I usually don't buy used games because of their often wretched condition, but I don't mind it at his store; it's nice to go in there and be able to buy a game, knowing I won't have to inspect it for damage because he's already done so.

With the store being three hours away, I don't get to go as often as I'd like. Every time we visit my in-laws, though, I try to stop in and browse his selection, because I never know what I'll find. Now if he'd just open a store near me...

I don't like the look of the store. Resembles 'Player One' if anyone had a store by them (SoCal chain). Its too boring. Throw some retro NES stuff on the walls. I'd gladly send you some things to display in the store.

Buy/Sell USED DVDS! This is a great way to make money and get additional customers. I only visit EBStop for DVDs. This would be even better for you now that EBStop does not take DVDs anymore.

Wow dude! That store looks great!

I like the comment from the above user, buy and sell used DVDs. That's usually all I find myself doing these days when I got to EB/GS.

Also, you should have a research station of some type so people can research their games for scores or parents can learn about ratings and look up ratings for a game. It might hurt business though so I'm not sure.

I buy almost all of my games from a local independent game shop. Why? Because they carry older systems, which EB/Gamestop does not.

Saturn? Check.
PSX? Check.

That, and the fact that he's local which means that dollars spent there stay in the community.

I just opened a Game Store like this 2 months ago. Here is what i learned in 2 months and have been doing.

Give 10% extra Trade in if a Student brings in a report card with a 3.0GPA or higher. I do this for everyone Gradeschool - College. Parents love it, Kids get more in trade, kids will get better grades to get more games.

Check eb's website and either match or beat their price. I do that all the time. Saves everyone money and they'll come back because of good prices.

Call eB and check Trade in prices. Eb gives like 5.00 for a game that is 19.99 give them 8 or more for trade plus the 10% bonus and you are still making good money and the customer is happy.

Get the Best Disc Cleaner Possible. You get Games that are TRASHED and if you can resurface them or take out the scratches your profit goes way up because you give less in trade.

Sell N64 Games. Mario, Zelda, etc 20 bux and i cant keep them in stock.

Pokemon games are Golden.

Take in PS1 games, but make sure you are not giving to much. The older rare/good games sell fast but most others will sit and collect dust.

Use Circuit City 40-200 to buy New games. You cant really beat the prices. No shipping and there isnt any big profits on new games unless you get trade ins.

Nintendo DS is Huge, make sure you have a big selection.

Keep the store clean and smelling good. I have had many comments how the store is clean and smells good and parents are afraid to let there kids come in.

MOST IMPORTANT of all is be TRUE and Be REAL. Talk to every person that comes in like they matter. Even if its the most annoying person in the world make him/her feel welcomed and important because there is no difference between the money they spend compared to anyone else. Just have a real conversation if possible about games/school/work or whatever. Also, REMEMBER the names of customers, this goes along with making them feel welcomed and important.

Feel free to email me or anything and i'll be glad to help

The posters here all have great ideas.
I used to frequent Gamestop/Babbages because they stocked alot of DIFFERENT stuff. Video game soundtracks from Japan, some imported games and systems, video game themed collectibles (Sonic plushies, Japanese Pokemon Christmas cards, lots of action figures, watches, shirts, etc), plus they had a nice selection of DVDs. Now that they have ditched all of the oddities and have mostly used, gutted games at marked up prices in stock...I never go there.

I needed a power cord for my old phat DS and they didnt even have that. GS/EB doesnt carry Monster Cable A/V equipment either - something you might want to look into stocking. Popular imports are good sellers too, the kind of thing repeat customers are going to go for. Having a few arcade machines on hand is also a good idea. Go for a few Bemani themed machines (DDR, etc).

Good luck with your store, hope it turns out well for you.

[quote name='bingbangboom']14. Sorry we don't have a punching in the throat policy.

Here is another picture of what the store layout looks like.

Picture024.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I must say your store= badass.

But the one thing that customers want is friendly people IMO. I can go into my EB and I know all of the guys they know my name. A discount card would be cool, or at least a cash discount. It could be like a 2% discount for using cash, or a 5% discount for buying your discount card.

[quote name='m0rningbreakfast']If someone uses "I saw this game at at X-store for Y-price and I have the CAG thread to prove it" you should price-match or honor the deal[/QUOTE]
except bigger store can afford to sell stuff at lost, a smaller store can't afford to do that.

[quote name='mykevermin']That way, you could charge more for used titles than EB/GS, but have a rational reason for it.[/quote]

I assume you mean for OOP, "catalog" type titles--the price would be retail new if you were to charge more for used than EB/GS. ;)

That's a good idea, though, if most of your traffic was the hardcore/discerning gamer. I don't know if Joe Public really cares about condition so much as long as the thing works.

Speaking of catalog, if you want to discern yourself from EB/GS, you'll need to carry stuff they don't, and stuff that people want to buy to boot. You may have to covertly canvas those EB/GSes to see what people are buying or wanting to buy over there.

I agree with the community-building suggestions. This will mean that you'll need to know what kinds of gamers are in your area. Are they 2D fighting fans? 3D shooter lovers? RPGers? TCGers? Research, research, research...

Finally, I've been to a Play-N-Trade here locally, and the selection sucks. You need catalog to compete with EB/GS, not shit I can buy anywhere.

15. Also another thing that we can do is console repair and disc repair. Really depends on how people treat their disc. Kids tend to rough them up. But with reports that some xbox 360's scratch the disc when playing, not a bad idea. Also currently no warranties, but fixing that red ring of death might be better.

PC games and niche games. The PC section in most stores are pretty muched stocked with just the latest releases and casual crap. I'd be stoked to walk into a store and find a pc game that's a few months or even years old that isn't Half Life or some other big name. Also get games you know other places won't consider stocking because they appeal to very few people. One of the reasons I still go to EB is because BB, CC, etc doesn't carry that obscure Japanese RPG I'm looking for or that 2d shooter.

As for the store layout, it's nice that you have a lot space. One thing I can't stand is how crowded EB can get. Just having more than 3 people in the store at once makes it hard to walk around. What I don't like is how dark it is in the store. I'd be more comfortable walking into a well lit store for the first time rather than the one pictured.

Just a thought... maybe you'd want to distinguish your store from the EBs and GStops by focusing more on PC hardware. EB did sell video cards when I visited a few years ago, not sure if they still do. But they barely advertised it at all. As of now, Eb and GStop are all about game software and console hardware. No PC components such as motherboards, video cards, sound cards, physics cards, etc. People usually go to newegg.com for that type of stuff, or even Fry's. But you have the potential to stand out of the competition by being an actual brick and mortar store that sells PC components for gaming. Heck, you could even enhance your store into an actual PC building/repairs shop, provided that you can find the necessary labor.

bread's done
Back