Ranking the Final Fantasy Series

adamones

CAGiversary!
Feedback
30 (100%)
I just updated my initial thread today, July 19th.

... Well here's my unofficial ranking of the series. A couple of notes: I am a STORY and CHARACTERS type of guy. That's really the main component I used in ranking the games. I recently changed my rankings around a bit to reflect this (IV is now ranked higher than V and VII higher than VI). Next would come Game play and innovation. So without further ado here are my VERY subjective rankings.

4i4qo8i.jpg
- This game is very dated. The level-up system was broken on the NES version, but fixed on the remakes. That doesn't make it any better though. There isn't much else to say about this game other than it may have been great when it was released, but it's shown it's age enough to be surpassed by every other game on the list.

2v0jp1u.jpg
- I finally got a crack at this game on the DS recently. Although I really enjoyed it for what it was, the Job/Class system was improved in almost every way in Final Fantasy V. The story and characters were okay, pretty boring and "cook-cutter" by today's RPG standards, but I could definitely understand them being very breakthrough at the time of it's release. This game introduced a lot of new features that would make it's way on to future FF titles. So I can appreciate the game for that.

2vabc43.jpg
- The first Final Fantasy on the PS2. It had beautiful graphics and excellent gameplay. The Sphere grid was and interesting and new innovative way to build characters, and for the most part I liked it. But it also had TERRIBLE voice acting, and that's what pretty much killed it for me. I am used to reading Final Fantasy games and using my imagination to how the character's sound and their tone. Having terrible voice actors read their lines with hardly any emotion and frequent pause and breaks in the middle of lines really ruined the experience for me. Not only that, but I really did not like any of the characters. All of them were just... boring. Even the "cool character with a big sowrd", Auron, didn't do much for me. It could've been mostly their voices, I suppose, or something else. But for whatever reason I finished the game not feel any kind of attachment or caring about any of the characters (The only emotion I did feel is that I wanted that stupid Waka to DIE). Except for the stunning graphics and the best "Classic Turn Based" Battle System of the series... this game didn't have much else that I liked about it. I take that back, the ending is very solid and emotional.

4h3ek4l.jpg
- This Final Fantasy was unlike the rest in so many ways. It stepped away from the traditional Final Fantasy and went the route of MMORPG. This game is huge, tons of content, this Final Fantasy easily packs the most gameplay and hours to sink into out of the series. The battle system was the first "Non-Traditional" Battle System in the series, doing away from the Classic Turn Based. As much I enjoyed the battle system and overall feel to the game; I prefer a traditional FF game any day. For starters, I was an expecting a sweeping epic storyline that had a beginning where you and the people you joined up with would be experienced online. Of course the game had no storyline like the series is known for, and everything in the game was tied together by a basic plot that you could either pay attention to or not, it didn't matter. The monthly fee and amount of time required to dedicate to this game were a few of the major things I didn't like about it. Forming a party could take sometimes up to an hour, then going out to find things to kill with your party, and then actually fighting, and then someone leaving the party... it just took SO LONG to really make any progress in the game. The game had great innovation in it's battle system that will probably stick around for the remainder of the series in the future.

2vdffkh.jpg
- I recently got a chance to play the PSP remake of the very first Final Fantasy, and it is GOOD! A very fun, easy to get into game. The remakes on PSX, GBA, and PSP make it very accessible to even non-hardcore RPG fans. It has the shortest length of the series and the simplest gameplay. The remakes make a really nice, simple starting point for those who want to get into the series. I rank this game high because of what it accomplished at a time no other game had even attempted to do before. And it's also worth mentioning the game's soundtrack. Looking back to games like Zelda on NES which looped the same tune over and over, this game really broke ground by providing gamers with a unique soundtrack that would become a staple in the series.

4hlz61f.jpg
- I wanted to rank this one higher, I really did. It is one of the few FFs that I've completed more than once. The battle system, for the time it was released, and even still today is amazing. The Job/Ability system allows you to create a party however you want and features almost unlimited customization. The plot and storyline gets nowhere near the narrative as IV. After playing with the amazing cast of characters in IV, this one is just dull in comparison. The gameplay is Top 3 in the entire series; as Job/Class system made it's way onto every other Final Fantasy in some way, shape, form. But the characters, plot, and story are very basic and below the high standard set for the series.

2hqco5j.jpg
- The first 5 hours into this game I immediately decided that this was one of my least favorite Final Fantasy games. However, the more I played, the more I liked the characters, and the story which has as maybe has more plot twists than any other game in the series. You get five characters in your party and by the end of the game, you travel to the moon on a whale-ship! When you compare this game to the first three of the series, it was simply a HUGE step forward in overall quality. Cecil and Kain were two great characters that really for the first time gave the series characters with some real depth and personality. This game gets a lot of love by fans of the series, but personally I feel that it is just a bit out of date. Old character sprites, rough translation, and ridiculous random encounter rate make me reluctant to want to drudge through the game again. The SNES version to me is damn near unplayable, but the remake on GameBoy and PlayStation are definitely the most enjoyable experienced.

2ltr8yq.jpg
- This one was a tough choice for me. Again, like X, the graphics and the gameplay are amazing. The battle system is no longer turned based and now emulates MMORPG style of gameplay, which works great and is EASILY the best of the entire series. You auto-set the actions of your characters, watch them go to battle, and adjust as needed... it works flawlessly! This game's battle system is ahead of almost every other RPG I can name in terms of it's greatness. Why is it not ranked higher? The voice acting is bad, though not as bad as X, and the story is not up to par as the rest of the series. This game doesn't put a lot of focus on the characters and more on the world around them. Halfway through the game the only thing that keeps me playing is the battle system. The best thing about this game is you can switch the metrosexual Vann out of your party. The worst thing, all of the other characters are just as boring and uninspiring.

4c10m0m.jpg
- Probably the most criticized game in the series. This game does a lot of things different, and I can appreciate it's innovation. The Junction system, the Magic "Drawing", the Salary on which you earn Gil, Triple Card Triad... I liked it all. After 7 Final Fantasy games they finally decide to do something a little different. Being able to hit R1 for an extra attack with your characters added a little extra gameplay to the standard "Select Attack" on the battle menu. The graphic upgrade from VII to VIII is AMAZING. The polygons and real life like characters models were very impressive on the PSX. The FMVs and Soundtrack is also some of the best in the series. The story spanned four CD-Roms and got a little heavy and convoluted towards the end, but the ending was great. The characters were all interesting and the story keep me engaged. Definitely one of the most under appreciated games of the series, mostly because it wanted to do things a little differently.

2r7u6uq.jpg
- It's extremely difficult for me to rank the top 3 Final Fantasy games. On any given day I can rearrange these and change my mind of the greatest. FFIX is definitely one of my most favorite video games of all time. This game is easily the most polarizing game of the entire series. People either love it like I do, or hate it with a passion. What I liked most about this game are the characters. I can't think of another game where I liked the characters more. The story and setting are also great and after the Sci-Fi VII and VIII this game gives a nice throwback to the series' roots. Everything about this game is so memorable. The only thing I despise about this game is how SLOW and LONG it takes to get in and out of battles. It literally takes longer than 5 seconds for a battle to even START. Coupled with the fact that the battle system just moves slowly on it's fastest setting... and the battles in this game can really drag and ruin the experience when you're ready to come to a stop. But all is forgivable... did I mention this game has the BEST ending in the entire series?

4gypnq1.jpg
- The best kept secret in video game RPGs is Final Fantasy VI. While most people jumped into the series playing the PlayStation versions, those who experienced this game in all it's greatness back on the Super Nintendo knew what the series was all about. The gameplay is fast and fun. Every character has their own distinct abilities and truly unique personalties. The story starts off small and concentrated, and then turns into a truly epic quest of saving the world, after it's already been destroyed. This game even played today can be enjoyed by it's beautiful soundtrack, great characters, and easily accessible gameplay. This game is a debatable #1 on any list, and for good reason. The game doesn't attempt to swamp you down with too much story, and back story, and side story, but rather it gives you a clear quest that will keep you engaged until it's end. Oh, and Kefka is awesome.

44s5tlx.jpg
- While this game isn't as polarizing as IX, it's definitely one of the most debated. Old school gamers say it's overrated, while newcomers like to claim it as one of the best games ever made. I would probably lean more to the latter. My claim that this game is at the top of video gaming history starts with this, look at the first six Final Fantasy titles... then look at this one. The complexity of the story and the characters are head and shoulders above any other game released before it's time. And the graphics, you can't possibly mention this game without mentioning the fact that it was the first 3D title in the series. While I'm not a big "Look at the shiny graphics" type of guy, I will admit this: This game is enhanced thanks in large part to how detailed the pre-rendered background were (the character models left a lot to be desired, obviously. I mean they had no faces, just eyes!). Playing the game today, while the graphics show their age in light of the newer consoles, it is still amazing when you think about how the entire series changed from VI to VII by one console generation. The gameplay itself was not the most innovative of the entire series, but it did feature a HUGE amount of sidequests and minigames. But the thing I love most about this series is the storyline, and how in-depth it is providing you almost too much details in the world of Final Fantasy VII. It's also worth mentioning the game's new almost present-day modern setting. The epic final show-down against one of the most evilest villains in Final Fantasy history, and it's unforgettable ending... I can't imagine this game being any worse than #2 on anyone's list of Final Fantasy games.

well, I haven't played III, XI, or VI (YET), but my order from what I have would be: (from best to worst)

XII: I don't know if I can go back to random battles ever again... Seriously, the game system (despite lacking a strong character driven story) has essentually ruined all RPG's for me, it's that good.

VIII: My first. You never forget your first, even if the Draw system is completely fucked up

IX
X
VII: I played this for the first time after even playing FFIX. As such, I don't have nastalgia to cloud my judgement (see rank of VIII). It's a great game, but it's not the be all end all most people make it out to be.

IV
V
I
II
X-2: WHO THE HELL was in charge of this debacle (note, rating may be negatively influenced by the fact that I forgot to talk to ONE fucking character in the first scene, thus screwing my chances of the perfect ending. Wouldn't be rated much higher, but would probably be above I and II)

Edit: OP, EVERYTHING you say about IX is true. If it wasn't for XII's near perfect battle system and my nastalgia for VIII, IX would win hands down.

Hmm..
the only thing I didn't like about 10 was that it lacked a world to venture/explore in. & the so called 'flying the airship' was nothing more than a point and go

However, I do agree with everyone - there were some great gems that were overlooked by the mainstream - ie. FFII (Snes)/ IV & FF III (snes)/ VI..

has anyone played the Gameboy editions?
FF legends?
- I never got into those, perhaps the only ones I've never finished...& probably wont.

The funny thing about FFXI is it's impact on the series. It's pretty obvious by looking at XII(which I consider to be the best thus far, regardless of what people say about the story) that it was highly influenced by XI. It's easy to say that as flawed as XI was, it changed the future of the series as a whole. We may not have seen the gambit system without it.

I'm a bit suprised by your high ranking of IX, but maybe it was just my personal dislike of it. Perhaps it is because I reached a point in the game that was impossible to complete with the way my characters were equiped and there was no way to get out of it. Then again I liked VIII more than most people too so who knows :)

It always amazes me overall how most "fans" hate innovation in the series, and the critics hate when it doesn't change. No middle ground I presume.

[quote name='Surferflames']The funny thing about FFXI is it's impact on the series. It's pretty obvious by looking at XII(which I consider to be the best thus far, regardless of what people say about the story) that it was highly influenced by XI. It's easy to say that as flawed as XI was, it changed the future of the series as a whole. We may not have seen the gambit system without it.

I'm a bit suprised by your high ranking of IX, but maybe it was just my personal dislike of it. Perhaps it is because I reached a point in the game that was impossible to complete with the way my characters were equiped and there was no way to get out of it. Then again I liked VIII more than most people too so who knows :)

It always amazes me overall how most "fans" hate innovation in the series, and the critics hate when it doesn't change. No middle ground I presume.[/quote]

I agree - I don't think FFXII's combat system would be possible without any inspiration from FFXI. Who knows? FFXII may have utilized the standard menu turn-based system we are all very familiar with. However, even though as inspiring FFXI is - I simple can't get over the "I just paid for the game - now I have to pay to play it'" attitude.

Yes, it's quite true & coincidentally humorous - Square enix needs to play the love/hate with innovation & stagnatic role to satisfy everyone. There is no middle ground indeed.

Wow OP. I'm pretty surprised you put Final Fantasy X last on your list (considering it is my favorite FF ever and I've been playing RPGs since the Chrono Trigger days). Forgettable unlikeable characters? Over complicated plot? Blasphemy.

I'm curious as to why you thought FFXII had bad voice acting though. I admit X could have been better (though Auron, Rikku, and Lulu were stellar), but I thought XII had excellent voice acting. What game do you consider having good voice acting? I'd put FFXII on par with KOTOR and MGS.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Ummm actually FF4 is probably the best kept RPG secret, ff6 ranks right after ff7 on the popularity scale.[/quote]

I think 6 was by far final fantasy at it's very best. at that point, final fantasy just couldn't get any better, and I don't remember it really being all that popular. now as far as popularity, 7 takes the cake on this one. while it wasn't the best, it was quite possibly the most recognizable final fantasy in the series.

I've been a RPG fan since the original Final Fantasy, and since then I have played thru and defeated every one except for III (which I'm still working on) and the PS2 sequels(X-XII). My own ranking consisting of just I-IX would be:

9. FF II: Did not like the leveling. I really tried to like it, too.

8. FF V: Did not like the characters, or the main villian.

7. FF III: Still haven't beaten it yet, but it's not one of my favorites so far.

6. FF VII: Still don't see why everyone loves this game so much. It's a great game, but nowhere near the best in my opinion.

5. FF IX: This game would have beaten my #4 pick if I hadn't been so disappointed by the ending.

4. FF VIII: I thought the "draw" system was a fun addition and I really liked the guardian force junction, too.

3. FF I: Yes, I love FF I. I beat the NES version countless times and you pansies who cry about the original being so hard are a bunch of babies. I beat the PS1 Origins version several times, and I've beaten the GBA version twice so far, the last time with a team of 2 white mages, a black mage and a thief.

2. FF IV: An awesome story, with great characters. My favorite soundtrack too.

1. FF VI: Loved the characters. Loved the story. Awesome game with so much to do and too much to pinpoint something specific. I don't have a single gripe about the game that I can think of.

how do you rank 9 above 12 ... but the rest look pretty good Still think X and X2 were the gayest things every made

1. FF3(6) best
2. FF7
3. FF12
4. FF8
5. FF9
6. FF1

blah blah

Bah..
1. IX
2. XII
3. X
4. VIII
5. VI
6. VII
7. X-2

Of the ones I've played..

9 just has that perfect medieval feel, 12 had the best combat system, 10 had the best characters, 8 had the best magic/summoning system, 6 I cannot get past the graphics; the text reading is fine for character development and such but the pixel people just don't do it for me, 7 was decent but after playing X and VIII first it felt like a gigantic step backwards, X-2 was a sad horrible joke.

1.FF7
2.FF10
3.FF6
4.FF8
5.FF
6.FF9
7.FF10-2

Those are the ones I played. FF7 was my favorite due to the story, and plot twists. I also loved the materia system. It gave you almost infinite combos for weapons and armor. I thought the 300+ hours I put into it were well spent.

As for FFX when I first played it I thought it looked great, and had a good story. The voice acting helped me like the characters. You hear who's talking. It put you into the story....and FFX may have had the best ending out of them all.

I just wanted to explain those two games, because everytime I put 7 and 10 above 6 I get slammed. 6 was great, but the other 2 games mean more to me....Sounds corny but they were good games.

I would love a 6 and 7 remake. I would think about getting a PS3 if it were to happen. And I am a cheap bastard.

OP - Your top 3 are my top 3.

Now that I look back on it and compare it to other games in the series FF9 was really good. And honestly I really disliked FF12, I won't go into detail, but I did.

Good to see some love for FF VIII. It's hands down my favorite game in the series, for reasons I can't even explain. When I worked at GameStop last summer, we would get these roving crowds of douchebags that would come in looking for a copy of FF VII (yeah, right) and bash the hell out of VIII. Almost cost me my job, which would have been great, obviously.
I am definitely in the minority, but I thought FF 9 was awful. I got to the last disc and stopped playing for a couple weeks. When I picked it back up, I had no clue what I was doing. If a story doesn't stick with me for two lousy weeks, no way that's a good game to me.
FF6 - awesome of course.
As for FF10, unbelievable first 10 hours or so. I was in freaking awe the whole time. Then...slowly...regrettably....it just got bad. Ho hum. I think X2 is actually a little underrated, but will always be disappointing because of the expectations. It's the game I've started the most times without ever finishing. Like someone said, if you forget a tiny detail, everything gets ruined. I always start playing and wonder why I stopped, then its like "oh, that's why."
It's almost out of fashion to like FF7, but fuck that. That's a great game. No one agrees, but that soundtrack rocks like no other. The Turks music, the Honeybee music, the Golden Saucer. Great stuff. And "One Winged Angel." You have to have a soft spot for the game that made RPG's the genre of choice for antisocial asswipes everywhere.
FF8's soundtrack is just as good, and the opening theme is the best FF song, besides the overture. We need a "Best FF song" thread.

Ranking this series never gets old, because honestly, they're all solid games that just appeal to different tastes.

Here's my list again, because I think we've had a thread like this.

10. Final Fantasy II - Played on origins, boring at this point, more fun on NES.

9. Final Fantasy I - Same as above, but not as bad.

8. Final Fantasy V - Similar to III for the DS but without the modern control/interface.

7. Final Fantasy X - Ouch, boring and repetative.

6. Final Fantasy VI - Great game, a lot of dull characters/locales, seems to be the game people use to earn cred w/ the FF crowd.

5. Final Fantasy VIII - Horrible plot, great atmosphere and setting, gameplay was solid but too easy to exploit.

4. Final Fantasy III - Remakes are a good way to keep a game fresh, I barely touched the ROM I had of this but the DS version is superb.

3. Final Fantasy VII - Bad translation, excellent game, could use an update.

2. Final Fantasy IV - Getting a DS remake for an almost perfect experience.

1. Final Fantasy IX - Barring the lame ending, this is the essential Final Fantasy (to be fair, its final dungeon/semi-final boss both make up for this shortcoming).

Im just going to list them in order and have a mini review on the side.

I NES : Really outdated but I could play it if I were in a good mood.

I PS1 : Really nice update on graphics and sound but nothing new.

II (Japan) NES : Horrible leveling up system

II (US) PS1 : Read above

II (US) or IV (Japan) : Great game. Is my 2nd Favorite Final Fantasy

V (Japan) : Barely played it

III (US) or VI (Japan) : Most favorite Final Fantasy in the series. Loved everything about it except I still havent finished it

VII : Most overrated but still a good game

VIII : My first Final Fantasy I ever played and is my 3rd favorite Final Fantasy.

X : Great update in graphics and had a good story. Sphere grid was a little annoying.

X-2 : Shit.

XII : Feels like the older Final Fantasy's but newer battle system and lots of hours of gameplay. Finished it with 97 hours with stuff to do still.

Im not going to buy a PS3 to play XIII because the series is starting to get milked out alot. I think their aleast making 4 games right now?

For one that hasn't played the final fantasy series, and is just starting with rpg's would it matter which one you play first? Are any of the games direct sequels to each other? I've got FFVII, IX, VIII, Anthology, and Tactics .... which one should i try first?

[quote name='arfin']For one that hasn't played the final fantasy series, and is just starting with rpg's would it matter which one you play first? Are any of the games direct sequels to each other? I've got FFVII, IX, VIII, Anthology, and Tactics .... which one should i try first?[/quote]

The final fantasy series are different from one another in respect of characters, story line, and villains and such. However, there are many attributes & characteristics that stay consistent through out the series - such as status items - potions,ethers, pheonix downs (I re-call it was once called fenix down before, I could be mistaken) and the ability to summon creatures (summons, espers etc) just to name a few.
But regarding what game to try out first is completely up to you - as one game doesn't not effect the other. (however there are acceptions with X & X-2, and the many VII spinoffs there are going to be).

If it were me I'd try the very first one (that would anthology - in your case - FF Origins had the first 1 & 2) - as I do like playing games released in chronologicial order. ;). That is if you don't mind snes type of graphics & load times ( I understand that the classic psx FF remakes have horrid loading times) -I wouldn't know since I played mine using the GBA.

Any of the ones you've listed would do fine. & Enjoy.

Btw. Tactics - is a Strategic RPG - not your typical final fantasy standard turn based menu rpgs.

Heh heh, I've played a couple of the FF's in the series.

Final Fantasy VIII is probably ranked #1 on my list, I feel it's underappreciated. The story and characters are pretty cool, and the story wrapped itself up very nicely at the end. It also has my vote for favorite end boss fight ^^b
The graphics were awesome as well as the FMV's, a big step up from FFVII. The only thing I didn't like is that most of the GF's lose their use after awhile, and by that I mean their attacks. I'd compare it to the use of the Mechs in Xenosaga I.

FF Tactics would be my next choice. All the betrayal and the friggin' powerful orlandu make this pretty cool :p
It was the first strategy-turn based RPG I ever played as well. I loved every minute of it and trying each class was fun as well.
The one-on-one fight with the holy knight was a bitch though >.>
Auto-potion (X-Potion) + Yell = PWND! heh heh

FFVII would be my third on the list. It was the first FF I ever played, so it introduced me to the series. I liked almost everything about it, but the flashback scene after getting out of Midgar was kinda annoying, since I wanted to move on. I did like the fights alongside Sephiroth though :D

Final Fantasy IV comes 4th.
I haven't played much of the game, but I did watch my bro play a lot of it (since he was on MY computer), and the characters seemed pretty likeable or interesting. The change from a dark to light knight was cool, and the ninja Edge was funny :D
My bro did seem to have a lot of trouble defeating the wall :eek:

FF X is 5th due to the horrible voice acting which we all know and love :).
I loved playing Blitzball, I just thought it was a lot of fun recruiting players and playing the tourneys. At first I was just doing it to get all the items, but then I focused more on making my characters overpowering >=D
I LOVED this game's version of the turn-based fighting system.

FF X-2! This is 6th. Despite the girlish theme, I enjoyed playing it b/c of the battles + changing sphere's. Besides that, the main menu Piano Theme is just niiiccceee.

FFT Advance was all right. I didn't enjoy half as much as FF Tactics, and the laws didn't help much.

I haven't played any of the others yet.

I'm starting FFXII right now and FFIII on the DS will come later.

I stopped reading after you placed Final Fantasy X in the 10th spot and called the characters forgettable and unlikeable.

[quote name='Trakan']I stopped reading after you placed Final Fantasy X in the 10th spot and called the characters forgettable and unlikeable.[/QUOTE]

Tidus definitely isn't forgettable but he is unlikeable.

You know, props to the OP. This seems like one of the "seen this discussion a thousand times" threads, except that it isn't. We need one for Mario games as well... (Forthcoming).

I won't go in as deep as making a big list. I'll just stick to "the guns." I beg you all to keep in mind that the opinions below are just that - stupid biased opinions. They aren't there to insult anyone. Of course that won't stop most of you from telling me how terrible my taste is.

Top Three:

3. Final Fantasy IX

The best one of the 3D ones, no contest. VII was a close contender for the title, and I even put it in 3 first. (The top two spots have a good old "no contest" clause attached to them).

2. Final Fantasy VI (a.k.a. SNES Final Fantasy III)

I don't care if putting such a popular title so close to the top makes me less "elite" of a fan. Spectacular game.

1. Final Fantasy IV

I was told by a good friend that I must play it a few years ago. My asshole senses tuned to the max, I was ready to unleash the fury on that friend and his shallow taste. I could not. By far my most favorite FF title of all time.

THE WORST THREE:

3. Final Fantasy X

After playing through the amazing intro, I was more than excited for the title. I thought that everything about this game would be "bad ass" - the subtle connection of machines and fantasy weapons, the gorgeous graphics, the use of voice. Then I played through the rest. Between Blitzball, Chocobo Racing, Seymour battles, animal collection, and the atrocity that was the game's "big revelation," I'm not sure I have enough hate in me to transcribe my true opinion of this game. Awful. (Note that this is not the worst)

2. Final Fantasy VIII

The only thing I -did- enjoy about the game was the Junction / Draw system. After waiting for what seemed like ages, I was treated to an awful plot, terribe story, and the worst love song ever recorded by a man, woman, child, or animal. I played through it all the same, hoping that it would kick in sooner or later, but that's because I'm an idiot. I generally pretend this title never happened, and I never shelled out $50 for it, and I haven't spent 40+ hours on beating it.

1. GET READY TO HATE ME: Final Fantasy XII

NOT Final Fantasy X-2. The only reason that title is not on my list is due to the fact that I've played through FFX (see above) and then saw the opening cinematic to FFX-2... No thanks. The only thing worse than the opener is to see the ending cinematic.

Final Fantasy Twelve is the first title in the primary Final Fantasy Series that I've quit playing. It seemed to have taken everything I hate about battle and weapon systems from every FF game out there (while adding its own diarrhetic aroma of "licenses" to the mix). And it combined it with the ever-so-exciting "MMORPG" style of combat. The latter could work in theory, and I am interested to see its evolution. But I won't be picking up FFXIII at launch. I most definitely will play it at a friend's house first. When it comes to all things about Final Fantasy, XII wins the award for "the most uninspired story, characters, design, plot, battles, enemies, and locations."

Best to worst:

1. FFVI - Classic in every sense of the word. People will be playing this for years to come.
2. FFXII - Slightly weak story, with enough gameplay to make up for it tenfold.
3. FFIV - Arguably the best story in the series.
4. FFIX - Incredible nod to the "older" entries.
5. FFVII - Great story, and matching gameplay, but may not stand the test of time.
6. FFI - Still playable (and entertaining) to this day.
7. FFVIII - Wonderful storytelling in a game that took risks, and succeeded more often than not.
8. FFX - Memorable, yet fucking annoying, characters. A step backwards in nearly all areas except the visuals, in my opinion.
9. FFIII - Job system continues to influence the series. The story was probably relatively exciting in its day.
10. FFII - Likely the most forgettable Final Fantasy. An average RPG, and not much more.
11. FFXI - Serious potential, and serious disappointment (assuming you have other things to do--if any game is a required time-sink, this is it). It's fun, until you realize you've logged 150 hours and have nothing to show for it.

I've yet to finish FFV, so I can't speak for that one yet. I didn't include the "spin-offs," because I have a hard enough time ranking these (it's not easy comparing something like FFI to FFVIII). Really, I can't think of anything labeled "Final Fantasy" that I haven't enjoyed, although some are definitely better than others.

I must agree with those saying that XII is a huge dissapointment. Yes, the battle scenes were magnificent and much more "fun" than any of the turn based games preceding it (never played XI) but I couldn't help but be extremely dissapointed when it ended, in a bad way. I kept saying "That can't be it... it can't be". Call me a sap, but I have absolutly NO emotional connection to it whatsoever, and thats what I've come to love about the Final Fantasies. Unfortunently, I have yet to play any pre-VII FFs, but I hope to, as I have loved every one starting with VII (cept for XII, even X-2 beats it, haha)

[quote name='HACBassoon']I must agree with those saying that XII is a huge dissapointment. Yes, the battle scenes were magnificent and much more "fun" than any of the turn based games preceding it (never played XI) but I couldn't help but be extremely dissapointed when it ended, in a bad way. I kept saying "That can't be it... it can't be". Call me a sap, but I have absolutly NO emotional connection to it whatsoever, and thats what I've come to love about the Final Fantasies. Unfortunently, I have yet to play any pre-VII FFs, but I hope to, as I have loved every one starting with VII (cept for XII, even X-2 beats it, haha)[/quote]

Play FF IV. Period.

OK, I know this is going to sound horrible, but I just could not get into FF7 cuz the graphics really bothered me. Yeah I know, anyways, after reading through this, im thinking about getting an older FF. Now I am going to be playing this on my PS3 and I understand its not all about the graphics, but I really could not get past the disproportionate (sp?) limbs and what not of FF7. So I ask, graphically, what would be best the route to go? I've heard FF8 is really nice looking...help me out!

[quote name='rvdrock']OK, I know this is going to sound horrible, but I just could not get into FF7 cuz the graphics really bothered me.[/quote]
If the graphics were the only reason, go kill your...just kidding. :D

You might want to try getting the PC version. There are mods that enhance the graphics to PS2 quality levels.

My ranking from worst to first:

Final Fantasy II - I put in about 15 hours into this from on Dawn of Souls and I just never got into it.

Final Fantasy X-2 - Fun battle system, but story was just so awful

Final Fantasy V - From this point on in the list, there isn't really a game I dislike it's just a matter of ranking. Nothing against V, I just like it the least out of the remaining games.

Final Fantasy IV - A lot of fun, especially having the five person parties. Hasn't held up as well to me as VI.

Final Fantasy IX - Great game that was a throwback to the older games. Hated the ending

Final Fantasy VII - Innovative. Good story but not great. I enjoyed it a lot but it gets way too much praise for what it is.

Final Fantasy X - Really great game, and characters, I'm not sure what some people are saying about the characters not being any good. Auron rules.

Final Fantasy XII - The fact that this game was able to eat up three months of gaming for me puts it pretty high up. I really enjoyed the new combat system, I just wish there was more character development. Balthier had the chance to go down as one of the greatest FF characters ever.

Final Fantasy I - I've played through this game so many times it's not even funny. This game and Mega Man 2 symbolize my childhood gaming.

Final Fantasy VIII - I was so blown away by this game, especially after all the hate it got when it came out. I absolutely loved the junction system and the characters were great. Squall and Irvine are in my top 4 characters from FF.

Final Fantasy VI - Like most others in this topic, this is my top choice. This game holds up unbelievably well and they haven't come close to a cast of characters as cool as this one. There is just nothing to dislike about this game to me and it will take a lot for this game to be removed from its throne.

I own FF3 DS but have not gotten around to playing it, nor do I own FFXI, so that's why they aren't included on the list.

[quote name='rvdrock']OK, I know this is going to sound horrible, but I just could not get into FF7 cuz the graphics really bothered me. Yeah I know, anyways, after reading through this, im thinking about getting an older FF. Now I am going to be playing this on my PS3 and I understand its not all about the graphics, but I really could not get past the disproportionate (sp?) limbs and what not of FF7. So I ask, graphically, what would be best the route to go? I've heard FF8 is really nice looking...help me out![/quote]

LOL, you waited way too long to play that game :lol:

FF8 is much better in the graphics department ^^b

of what I've played:

5) FF II (hated this. only way to earn any real experience is to attack your own party)
4) FF IV (to this day, I don't get the big deal over this. I didn't care for any of the characters or the story. *shrugs*)
3) FF I (instantly forgettable)
2) FF CC (not great, but I enjoyed the multiplayer)
1) FF III (enjoy the character models and the jobs)

These are my top 5 FF games:
1. FFVI - easily the best FF game ever. It had everything, great story, deep maturing characters, fantastic music, good old traditional battle system, and a guy you really hate.

2. FFVII - it had a really good story, I liked the fresh setting (i.e., not midevil), amazing graphics for the time, and I really liked the materia system.

3. FFIV - I liked this game because of how it built up to everything. It just kept getting more and more interesting as you played.

4. FFIX - it was a solid traditional FF game and I definitely enjoyed it. It was just a bit too predictable. I loved seeing the old school setting one last time though.

5. FF (Origins easy version) - This one was great just to see how far the series has come. And I loved the simple story for some reason.

* If FF Tactics counts as a FF series game then I'd definitely rank at at #2 right under FFVI.

These ones I've played but don't care to rank them.

FFII (Origins easy version) - the leveling system completely blows. I quit playing because of it.

FFIII (DS) - way too frustrating and tedious way too early. There was nothing that made me want keep trying to the ridicilously tough bosses after the first 3.

FFV (Anthology) - I don't remember why I quit but I think it was at some toward and I just got bored of it.

FFVIII - the 'draw' system really sucked and I really didn't like the characters. The graphics were good though and the story was solid for the most part, if a bit too dramatic.

FFX - way too easy and the ending blew balls.

FFX-2 - an insult and embarrassment to anyone who's ever played a FF game.

FFXII - it starts out good and the battle system is fun. But the game really starts to drag on after about the first 20 hours. The story becomes dull and the dungeons/levels feel like they were just stretched out increase the length of the game.

Wow, great replies.

Alright I am bringing this thread back to the top for now. I remember making this thread and never looking at it again until just now. I'm surprised how many "Overrated VII" comments are in this thread. I just fired up and started playing VII again, and I still LOVE that game. Like I said in the original post I would re-arrange the Top 3 any time I felt like it. Today, I would put VII in the top spot.

I would like to "debate" you all on the greatness of VII. Maybe like someone earlier mentioned, the Sci-Fi Future setting of the game makes me love it so much. The first VI games were very much "medieval" and very much "Fantasy" in it's setting. Final Fantasy VII finally took the series to a more modern-present day setting. The story starts off as being very simple, yet unfolds to something greater. Okay, I'm not one of those fanboys who goes crazy "OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY KILLED ARIES!". I was actually glad when she died, she was annoying and my least favorite characters. But one thing this game did well is that when she died, it was FINAL. In previous Final Fantasy games (IV and V specifically ) when someone died, you just had another character take over using their same stats and skills. When she died, you lost ALL your work, and it made it much more final. Definitely a key moment in the franchise's history.

... That's all I'll go into for now. If someone wants to raise some points on why they did not like VII I want to TRY and defend them. And come with something good. I'm not going to respond to a comment like, "I thought Cloud was boring." "Barret was a stupid character". Provide good REASONS why you feel that way about the game.

This should be fun for everyone! :)

The lists are great, and it is good to see everyone's different opinions. I would like to throw my list in also. I will stick with the mainstream series and not side stories. XI is also out because of its unique nature. Before I start, I want to say that I had played all these games upon their first US release, and I have gone back to everyone at one point. This means I had recieved FFI as a kid upon release and every other since then.

11. Final Fantasy II - Just not a good game. A nice try, and there is redeeming qualities, but playing through this was a chore.

10. Final Fantasy VIII - A RPG is only as strong as its story, and VIII has a nice beginning, a nice ending, but the middle sucks all life out of it (orphanage scene). The gameplay is the most distant from any other FF. A good game overall, just not a good Final Fantasy.

9. Final Fantasy III - A hard game to critique because how long it took for a US release. Its a good look into how the series developed, and is a worthy successor to I.

8. Final Fantasy I - A groundbreaking console game in so many ways, a classic in every way and one of the first games with a boss you really wanted to tear into.

7. Final Fantasy X - A game that does not quite feel like Final Fantasy, but a great game nontheless. Seymour developed into a decent villian and if X-2 wouldve been better, this game would of jumped a bit higher on the list.

6. Final Fantasy V - One of the most disappointing games of all time for me because of the long wait to come out in the US, it just wasnt up to snuff. Then again, nothing could be, and at this point in the list, its still a great game.

5. Final Fantasy XII - I thought I was going to dislike this game. I detested the demo and reserved it reluctantly because thats what I did to all FF games. What I found was a game that is one of the best of this generation that had all the fan service one could want and if the opening trailer and music dont get you excited, I dont know what will.

4. Final Fantasy IX - Yes its polarizing, but after VIII, the series needed this game. Nothing in particular about this game is outstanding, but everything (outside of butchered four fiends plot and the pseudo level cap) is great about this game.

3. Final Fantasy VII - This place and second place could flip flop depending on the game. VII is one of the best games of all time, no doubt, it just isnt as big of a deal if you played the games in over. 3 character parties felt limiting compared to 4 (in 6), and while there is no argueing that Sephiroth is a bad@$$, Kefka also was pretty messed up. With that said, FFVII is truly an amazing game, a top 3 PSOne game, and a probable top 10 game of all time. Just not #1.

2 - Final Fantasy IV - I-III may have started the series, but this game started the epic. Everything a game needs, this has. The story blew away anything that came out domestically at the time. The battle system was good and Golbez and the 4 fiends do not get enough credit for how good of villians they were.

1 - Final Fantasy VI - Best. Video Game. Ever.

i remember buying the very first FF way back when. 17 yrs ago? maybe longer. but FFX is probably my favorite in the series.

never had much of a problem w/ the voice acting. the entire story/scenary/music was just incredible to me.

I loved FFX the most.

People may say the voice acting was horrible, but I actually found the parts without Tidus crying like a baby quite enjoyable for something in a game at the time... Also I liked that it wasn't too hard or required unfun excess level grinding like in previous FF games.

The art style, pacing, music, and even story was all that I wanted from an FF. One of the first times I enjoyed an FF through and through.

How can you put FF10 So far down on the list? I think it was an awesome game with a good storyline(Auron was the best) and amazing cutscenes. The only voice acting that annoyed me was Rikku. The sphere grid system was ingenius

[quote name='F-F13VS.']How can you put FF10 So far down on the list? I think it was an awesome game with a good storyline(Auron was the best) and amazing cutscenes. The only voice acting that annoyed me was Rikku. The sphere grid system was ingenius[/QUOTE]

How can you say that!? FF10 was the worst! The storyline sucked, and cutscenes were boring. As for characters Auron was not very cool but Rikku's voice acting was the only thing that didn't annoy me. And don't get me started on that dumb sphere grid. :lol:

I really prefer VII and IX out of them all. then again i've only played 4 games in the series, so don't mind me :p

I really prefer VII and IX out of them all. then again i've only played 4 games in the series, so don't mind me :p

bread's done
Back