Are new games really that important? Does Wombat need to "get with the times"?

Sideswiper

CAGiversary!
The definition of being a cheap gamer is different for everyone.

To me, it means buying systems and playing games years after they come out. That's just how I roll.

So I wonder if the CAGcast is better served playing new releases or playing games that have recently become cheap. I mean, there are a million podcasts covering new releases and rumors about upcoming games... shouldn't maybe the CAGcast focus on CAGness?

I think it's great that Wombat is playing older games, and I like hearing about if they are worth $10.

Talking about new stuff is great but don't stress over it. This isn't the only podcast out there, you know... be yourselves, that's what sets you apart.

Though I'm sure we're going to hear about PS3 a lot from Wombat now. A *free* PS3, wow! Now he could purchase $600 worth of PS3 games instead of paying for the system... are there $600 worth of PS3 games on the market?

Well, I am not playing naything too new. The newest I am playing is GTA Vice city stories for the PS2 but other than that I am playing NFS MW & Carbon as well as Saint's Row. All of which I got for under 30 bucks Canadian which is pretty cheap here. But to me I would like fo rthem to kee the current subject of Video Games. Of course the goal of every gamer is to get the latest games for the cheapest price possible. So talking about new games is OK but I would too like to hear more about older releases.

It's not like there's that many interesting games out at this point of the year. We're through the big March releases. The only game I'm mildly interested in hearing about is what the boys think of Shadowrun.

While I think new games have there place on the CAGcast to me it always seems like the only new games they talk about are the "big" releases. Like said above there are a ton of podcast out that will talk about every game thats hits the stores so I like that the guys pan over alot of them and only talk about the big ones.

What I would like to see is more talk of recent price dropped games or ones that can be had on a deal. Take the going down thred and both talk about a game(s) on that list and say yeah its woth it for 20.00 or wate until you can get it for this amount. At least with me I know a lot of games out that I tell my self all the time when I can get this for (insert $ amount) I will pick it up. I think this would make a nice new segment on the CAGcast IMO.

I recently tried getting with the times by buying a 360 and I have yet to find a truly compelling fresh gaming experience. Gears of War is alright but I find myself playing newer updates of older games like Spider-Man or Tony Hawk than playing the latest blockbuster.

There are far too many games that are cheap to talk about. It works better to talk about newer games because they're more relevant to what people are most likely playing.

Ghost Recon is amazing on 360 and I just have the first one still!
Saints Row is a lot of fun (I thought).
Gears of War is amazing.
Dead Rising is ultra fun for a month or two.
Oblivion rules EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(I still play it very often on PC)

It's at least an interesting idea to talk a little more about older games that have recently dropped in price. Personally, my purchases right now are either older Gamecube games (just picked up Harvest Moon: Magical Melody) or DS games, and a decent amount of those that I buy aren't really new.

And while there are a bunch of other podcasts that discuss newer games, from my experience most of them are crap and take themselves way too seriously, so I mainly only listen to CAGcast. So, I guess the CAGcast is one of the main ways I hear about newer games, especially for systems I don't own.

Maybe a quick retro review or they could try building a "cheap ass" time machine. Not sure if it would work with that shoddy craftsmanship, but you can't fault a guy for having dreams.....right?

I'm sure there is plenty going for the new machines, especially the well established Xbox 360 library, but I've yet to buy any of the current big three. My last platform hardware purchase was the PSP. I have literally hundreds of games I've yet to play on hand because this site made it so easy to acquire them cheaply.

By the time I've the proper use of my existing game investment it should be possible to buy all three current consoles for about $600, or with a 40" 1080p panel for around $1,000.

I'm not lacking for toys until that moment arives.

on the topic of this what was the super hero game for the ps2 Wombat mentioned a few episodes back. Talking about super man kicking green arrows ass or something. What game was that?

Yeah, I don't get why there's so much pressure for our favorite Wombat to buy all sorts of new games.

I like to hear about what people are playing, and if they are playing old games, then I want to hear about what continues to keep them playing. Is it awesome? Is it cheap? If anything, It's cool to hear the dichotomy between Cheapy -- who swims around in his giant vault full of Play-Asia funny dollars and buys every game that gets published -- and Wombat -- who wouldn't buy anything unless it was actually worth his time and money.

Where's the novelty if both hosts talk about all the new releases instead of what is cheap and good? And who wants to pressure fellow gamers into playing the first two hours of every new release just so that he can deliver his impressions on a podcast?

Not a bad idea at all, I almost never buy new stuff. I keep things on a list and snag them if I still have a interest and it hits the 10-35 range, depending on how bad I want it.

Cheapy should just focus on whatever brings in the most listeners, retro or new.

I don't really care, because whatever is discussed is generally done so in an entertaining and informative manner.

bread's done
Back