Ink stain on tile flooring- How to remove?

Dead of Knight

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
This is a really weird situation, but here it goes. I had a trash bag on the ground ready to throw out, and I guess before I was able to take it out, some water leaked out of it and onto the floor. Unbeknownst to me until I took out the trash, it got on some papers that I had on the floor. Once I discovered this a few minutes later, the ink from the paper actually made a mark on the ground. Now my accounting notes are inked on the floor. I tried using just water as well as Clorox disinfecting wipes, as those are the only cleaning tools I had on hand, but they only minimally helped. I need to get this stain out as much as possible since it's on the dorm floor and they charge ridiculous fees for cleaning. I know some tile cleaner or something would probably do the trick, but I wanted to ask you guys for the best choice on what to use. The floor is simple shiny white with gray flecks tile like you'd find in a classroom or something. The ink is just simple pen ink. Thanks guys for any help. :wall:

I have no idea how to clean ink. Iif by ink you mean blood. Well PM me your addy in Columbus I'll be more then happy to dispose of some "trash."

[quote name='Graystone']I have no idea how to clean ink. Iif by ink you mean blood. Well PM me your addy in Columbus I'll be more then happy to dispose of some "trash."[/QUOTE]
Nope, it's ink. :lol:

My friend suggested bleach or Comet.

Comet, Clorox, Ajax, SOS pads, Formula 409, etc... those would all work. If you want to try something different (and that doesn't require as much effort) I've heard good reviews about that Mr. Clean Magic Eraser that can take crayon/ink/whatever off of walls. I'd check one of those out and see what it could do (I can't guarantee anything as I've not used it).

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']Comet, Clorox, Ajax, SOS pads, Formula 409, etc... those would all work. If you want to try something different (and that doesn't require as much effort) I've heard good reviews about that Mr. Clean Magic Eraser that can take crayon/ink/whatever off of walls. I'd check one of those out and see what it could do (I can't guarantee anything as I've not used it).[/QUOTE]
I've used the Magic Eraser in the bathroom. It's awesome for that. I'll probably buy that and Ajax or something, as I've had good results with that too. Thanks.

[quote name='Scobie']Throw rugs are good. And you probably know how well they can tie a room together.[/QUOTE]
I totally would do this if it were my property. Sadly, it isn't. I'm gonna pick up a Magic Eraser tomorrow and see how it works out. My friend claims it can even get paint off walls.

[quote name='mtxbass1']bar keepers friend should do it. Be very careful with this and scrub hard though.

Works wonders on bathtubs as well.[/quote]

I second Bar Keeper's Friend. But try it on a small spot first and make sure it doesn't discolor the tile before you go heaping it on the entire stain.

paint thinner will work, but what kind of tile is it? if it's a smooth glossy surface that should be easier to remove then something porous. altough i'm sure paint thinner will still work on both, just try not to inhale and open your windows. i doubt you will use that much, a few drops and a rag should do the trick.

As a former member of an Environmental Services department many years ago, I concur - all the products that were listed should do the trick. One thing to consider is if the floor has been waxed or not. If so, it's much easier to remove, but you should be careful not to be too aggressive when cleaning because using either a too-acidic solution or a too-abrasive rag or scratch pad, and you'll take up the wax.

If the floor is unwaxed and the ink actually sets into the composition of the tile, then you'll have to go the more abrasive route, just go slowly since it usually results in making the affected area lighter then the rest of the tile.

[quote name='Heavy Hitter']As a former member of an Environmental Services department many years ago, I concur - all the products that were listed should do the trick. One thing to consider is if the floor has been waxed or not. If so, it's much easier to remove, but you should be careful not to be too aggressive when cleaning because using either a too-acidic solution or a too-abrasive rag or scratch pad, and you'll take up the wax.

If the floor is unwaxed and the ink actually sets into the composition of the tile, then you'll have to go the more abrasive route, just go slowly since it usually results in making the affected area lighter then the rest of the tile.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info. Pretty sure it'd be considered unwaxed, since the last time any cleaning person was in here was in September or earlier, before I moved in. I'm heading after class to get a magic eraser and probably something else just in case, thanks everyone.

bread's done
Back