CAGcast Live! Wednesday 6/20, 8pm EST

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Our 3rd attempt at a live show will take place on Wednesday 6/20, 8pm EST.

Q: How can I listen live and how can I call in?
A: To listen live, just go to this url: http://www.stickam.com/profile/cagcast
To call in, place a call via Skpye to CAGcast or dial us on a regular phone at (781) EAT-CAGS (FAT-CAGS works too!).

If you call in, be sure to mute the Stickam feed, otherwise, like a real radio show, we will hear feedback.
To mute the audio, click the Green speaker icon in the player's upper left hand corner.

Q: Will the show still be available for download via the usual methods?
A: Yes! The downloadable version will be available early the next morning.

Q: Are you changing the format of the show?
A: No! The only change will be the addition of some live callers and the excitement that comes with a live broadcast.

Q: Will there be video broadcasted?
A: No. The CAGcast is still an audio-only affair.

Q: Do I need to download any software or register anywhere to listen?
A: No. Just go to this url: http://www.stickam.com/profile/cagcast

Q: How do I make the in-show chat window larger?
A: Click the little magnifing glass icon in the Stickam player.

I'd be really careful to make sure you can selectively unmute the callers you want instead of going the scout's honor method.

I work for a very large communication company and we often have large conference calls. You'd think since we work with phones people would have a superior grasp on how they work. Unfortunately no such luck. No matter how many times we INSIST that people not put the call on hold, several do each call and the conversation is quickly brought to a stop with hold music in the background until they figure out who it is and mute them.

Pretty hysterical the first time, but after that it just gets plain old.

Good luck with CAGLive!

Bad timing for me- that's right around the time I leave for work. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to keep getting it from iTunes.

Man, I hate to be a complainer.
First the show gets delayed a week (still trying to figure that one out).
Then, it gets bumped from early Wed morning to late Wed night (some of us listen at work).
Now the live show is going to include members???
Did someone request that?
I'm not sure if opinions are requested but it seems to veer away from the purpose of the show... Cheapy and Wombat discussing new releases, deals of the week, and industry news.
By all means, have a live call in show, but it should be seperate from the Cagcast.
Oh well, vent over.

While I applaud you Cheapy and Wombat for trying something new, I just hope the quality of the callers is up to the high standard of the show.

Still, I'll be there. May Lady Luck smile upon your endeavor gentlemen.

should be interesting. I've always felt that the Cagcast needed more member interaction. We'll see if it proves to be so. Just another way to put a voice with a name.

Man I was in that first test thing u did but my shift has changed since then and I gotta work at that time. Shift work blows!!

Cheapy and Wombat.. see you guys about to make internet history...

hey, I got my Skpe working, and Wombat.. don't leave the party early.

Cheapy and/or Wombat: I would really advise against using Stickam and suggest using UStream over it.
A podcast that I listen to live regularly, ExtraLife Radio, used to do streaming over Stickam, however once Stickam reached ~100 viewers, it started lagging so bad the video ended up being useless and the audio was so laggy the chat was useless.
The ExtraLife crew switched over to UStream.tv, where there's no lag with the video or audio and the chat room is just an IRC room so it doesn't tax their servers quite as much. So far in a few weeks with UStream, with ~170 viewers on average and about 70 in the chat during shows, it hasn't lagged at ALL a single time and has been excellent.
Don't get stuck using Stickam, it's not meant for relatively large audiences like the CAGcast.

[quote name='E*Master']Man I was in that first test thing u did but my shift has changed since then and I gotta work at that time. Shift work blows!![/quote]

It's the EXACT opposite for me. :cool:

I can't wait, it'll be midday here.

I'm not so sure its a good idea, and I am worried it will result in a watered down, less 'meaty' show. But I'll give it a chance....

Even if the live call-ins end up being a bust, I think having the show live is a lot more exciting.

Being able to chat with fellow CAGs during the show is also a huge plus, that way we can laugh and poke fun at Cheapy & Wombat during the actual broadcast... or even bring up points of interest that they can expand on.

[quote name='sleepwalkers']Cheapy and/or Wombat: I would really advise against using Stickam and suggest using UStream over it.
A podcast that I listen to live regularly, ExtraLife Radio, used to do streaming over Stickam, however once Stickam reached ~100 viewers, it started lagging so bad the video ended up being useless and the audio was so laggy the chat was useless.
The ExtraLife crew switched over to UStream.tv, where there's no lag with the video or audio and the chat room is just an IRC room so it doesn't tax their servers quite as much. So far in a few weeks with UStream, with ~170 viewers on average and about 70 in the chat during shows, it hasn't lagged at ALL a single time and has been excellent.
Don't get stuck using Stickam, it's not meant for relatively large audiences like the CAGcast.[/quote]
Leo Laporte (the tech tv guy) just did a show on Stickam and had 700 people online and supposedly it worked fine. If it doesn't work out on Stickam, we can always switch to Ustream.

We aren't running any video, so that may help us.

EDIT: Hmmm...just checked out Ustream...I may like the setup better...seems easier to use for listeners. Decisions decisions...Ill try and do some testing today.

Live show sounds like an interesting idea, but I'm worried. I already have to spread my CAGcast listening out over the course of a week just to have time to fit it in, and a live show sounds like it could easily run really long. I'm not sure if I'll listen live, but please try to keep it under 3 hours.

Also, will regular contributors(ie. Shipwrecks, etc.) be doing live versions of their pieces? Will Thornbon3 have a question/comment?

Will you get David Jaffe to do a live rant about a random game site?

[quote name='jonnyflash']Also, will regular contributors(ie. Shipwrecks, etc.) be doing live versions of their pieces? Will Thornbon3 have a question/comment? [/QUOTE]

Probably not, but I'll be there late and drunk!! Sweatin' beer!

mooninite.jpg

Actually sounds like a good idea. One thing I'm kind of confused about though is how are you going handle calls that come in? For example what if 20-30 people call in are you only going to select certain people over others?

I might build up the courage to call in, accepting the fact that everyone will abuse me because I am 14, and sound it. (I don't have the voice of an adult, neither the voice of a toddler)

[quote name='linkpwns']I might build up the courage to call in, accepting the fact that everyone will abuse me because I am 14, and sound it. (I don't have the voice of an adult, neither the voice of a toddler)[/QUOTE]

meh, i wouldnt worry about it, as long as you dont portray the annoying 14 year old on xbox live you will be fine.

[quote name='KingBroly']Is the CAG number free of charge? I'm not paying $.99 a minute, $2.99 for the first.[/quote]

It is skype. Cheapy was talking about getting a skype number set up, which you could call from a phone, but i don't know if he did. With skype, you use your computer mic and call in for free and talk. Sorta like a mic conversation.

Dear Cheapy,
I missed your show, i only heard about 8 mins of it. yes i know why i missed because i live pacific coast. Will we all be able to download the recording of the show just like the same as your regulr show. please add your show to download section or itunes section. please. :)

This is very picayune, but the time should be 8pm EDT.

I only notice this because Daylight Savings Time is evil and I must raise it up on a staff for all to see!

This will not end well.

Still, I'm intrigued about the possibility of a live CAGcast, so I'll be downloading as usual on Thursday morning. I just hope you can fend off the legions of prank callers.

bread's done
Back