The Star Trek III (Back from the Dead) Thread

• Please log in to reply
1879 replies to this topic

#391 BustaUppa

BustaUppa

what it is right now

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:04 PM

lol seriously could you imagine the hardcore nerd rioting that would occur if they re-wrote Star Trek?

#392 blandstalker

blandstalker

I am Irrelevant Bitching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2008 - 02:45 AM

lol seriously could you imagine the hardcore nerd rioting that would occur if they re-wrote Star Trek?

Honestly, I think they're better off if they do.

With each new iteration of Star Trek, it becomes increasingly difficult to fit things with what came before, find something new to say, and make sure it all makes sense.

The last two series (Voyager and Enterprise) were arguably worse off because of all of the temporal/spatial nonsense, which includes trying to sandwich in invasions, timelines, aliens, and histories into periods of time and areas of space where they make no sense whatsoever. It encourages playing games with the rules, and then wrapping it all up with a reset button or deus ex machina because it all has to fit, somehow.

With a new start, they can rewrite all the rules that have been making Star Trek suck. If it works, great. If not, well, it can't be any worse a failed experiment than the last two.

The hardcore nerds are going to whine and complain no matter what. Might as well make something good.
Now playing: Some Game I Last Played Months Ago (DS), Ancient Game I Tried Once (PS3), Why Do I Never Update My Signature? (360), Backlog Assassins (iPad)

#393 TheCochese

TheCochese

I make things out of wood

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2008 - 02:48 AM

Even though some of the time-travel episodes were some of my favorites, if they can reboot the series and not do that, I'd approve.

I'm 100% in support of rewriting the movie arc of the original cast.

#394 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

My foot itches..must be athlete's foot

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2008 - 03:16 AM

Voyager was the worse of all the series. It had the potential to be something good, but turned out to be a piece of shit after 7 of 9 came onboard. I liked Enterprise, until season 3.

Rick Berman fucked Trek and paramount should have bought out his contract before Enterprise got really fucked over.

Trek's downfall began with Berman and Paramount didn't do shit about it, now because of him they have to reinvent the wheel to bring in a new generation of viewers.

What's next? They going to reinvent the Next Generation?

anyways.

#395 ananag112

ananag112

CAGS FOR COCO!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2008 - 07:02 PM

They should just reboot Star Trek or make all future Star Trek media take place in a parallel universe which is more realistic to our own time. They need to get back to the root of the essence of Star Trek.
Posted Image

#396 JolietJake

JolietJake

Posted 17 October 2008 - 07:09 PM

Voyager was the worse of all the series. It had the potential to be something good, but turned out to be a piece of shit after 7 of 9 came onboard. I liked Enterprise, until season 3.

Rick Berman fucked Trek and paramount should have bought out his contract before Enterprise got really fucked over.

Trek's downfall began with Berman and Paramount didn't do shit about it, now because of him they have to reinvent the wheel to bring in a new generation of viewers.

anyways.

Generation Next:lol:

I enjoy the videos and puns posted by Joliet Jake. I think he's almost as funny as my favorite comedian, Dane Cook. Now excuse me while I listen to Fallout Boy's music on their myspace page.

#397 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2008 - 01:11 AM

anyways.

I agree Voyager was the worst, but only because of Janeway--couldn't stand that bitch. It got BETTER after 7 of 9 joined IMO. Berman really did mess Trek up though. I always thought when he had people like Braga to bounce things off of he was ok.

#398 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2008 - 02:03 AM

I agree Voyager was the worst, but only because of Janeway--couldn't stand that bitch. It got BETTER after 7 of 9 joined IMO. Berman really did mess Trek up though. I always thought when he had people like Braga to bounce things off of he was ok.

7 of 9's only role was to bring in more male viewers period. After season 3 it was the Jayneway, Doctor , Seven Show. I really hoped there would be more character development with Chacotey (sp?), and Kim but they got screwed over. Kim espically. Didn't Braga die a few years back?

#399 lordwow

lordwow

Fmr. VP of the OTT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:37 PM

Braga didn't die, he works on 24 now. He worked on Threshold last year(?).
Currently Playing: Borderlands 2 (360), Black Ops (360)

Posted Image

#400 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2008 - 02:40 AM

Braga didn't die, he works on 24 now. He worked on Threshold last year(?).

Threshhold was 2006 I believe. That was a good show (scary too). Anyways some trek producer died of cancer I believe. I thought it was Braga.

Edit: Ok it was Michael Piller who died of cancer. He was the guy behind some of the best Trek episodes.
http://en.wikipedia..../Michael_Piller

#401 lordwow

lordwow

Fmr. VP of the OTT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:04 PM

Here it is... The Enterprise:

Spoiler

Posted Image

#402 ananag112

ananag112

CAGS FOR COCO!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:31 PM

Awesome
Posted Image

#403 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2008 - 01:40 AM

wow. Glad they didn't redo the entire ship and kept a lot of the original design in the new ship.

Can't wait for the trailer on Friday!

#404 Kaijufan

Kaijufan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2008 - 02:25 AM

The ship looks good.
Posted Image

#405 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:06 PM

Looks good to me. I really really really hope the movie is a good one.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#406 BustaUppa

BustaUppa

what it is right now

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2008 - 12:11 AM

Maybe this has been clarified already, but is this new movie a true "prequel" or is it more of a retelling? I was assuming "prequel" but with a different looking Enterprise I guess that might not be the case.

#407 lordwow

lordwow

Fmr. VP of the OTT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:50 AM

According to the producers, it's some meshing of prequel and reboot. It takes place in the "one and only" Trek timeline, but there are some obvious changes to technology/ships/etc

Posted Image

#408 JolietJake

JolietJake

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:55 AM

I just don't understand why a show that is based in the future keeps going back to the past, the show's past anyway.

I enjoy the videos and puns posted by Joliet Jake. I think he's almost as funny as my favorite comedian, Dane Cook. Now excuse me while I listen to Fallout Boy's music on their myspace page.

#409 lordwow

lordwow

Fmr. VP of the OTT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:57 AM

I agree with you but, it also should be noted that
Spoiler

Posted Image

#410 JolietJake

JolietJake

Posted 14 November 2008 - 03:47 AM

So are they going to have a character from the current trek timeline actually going back in time? Kinda like in trials and tribulations from DS9?

#411 lordwow

lordwow

Fmr. VP of the OTT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2008 - 10:03 PM

So are they going to have a character from the current trek timeline actually going back in time? Kinda like in trials and tribulations from DS9?

Spoiler

Posted Image

#412 JolietJake

JolietJake

Posted 14 November 2008 - 10:06 PM

I wonder if he'll mention Kirk dieing, i just realized that they never showed anyone telling Spock about Kirk dieing in Generations.

#413 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:56 PM

I wonder if he'll mention Kirk dieing, i just realized that they never showed anyone telling Spock about Kirk dieing in Generations.

He knows, Jim. He KNOWS. :D

#414 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2008 - 01:26 AM

Holy cow!

I just came back from Quantum of Solaris (ok movie). I was waiting for the damn trailer and the beginning part totally threw me off!

Spoiler

Can't wait for the Monday HD release on quicktime..or on XB Live!

#415 tangytangerine

tangytangerine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2008 - 08:26 PM

#416 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:36 PM

:drool:

#417 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:02 PM

Damn - trailers sure do make movies look good.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#418 TheCochese

TheCochese

I make things out of wood

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:58 PM

Yeah, the trailer was money. I thought it was Gone in 60 Seconds 2 at first.

#419 JolietJake

JolietJake

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:10 AM

The one thing i worry about is that this may end up being less sci-fi and more action oriented. To try and appeal to the non Trek fans.

Edited by JolietJake, 18 November 2008 - 12:23 AM.

#420 DarthPuma

DarthPuma

RAP GAME DENNIS LEARY

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:10 AM

Hello OTT