The Star Trek III (Back from the Dead) Thread

• Please log in to reply
1874 replies to this topic

#1051 davo1224

davo1224

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:31 PM

I don't remember the picture quality on the original being that terrible.

#1052 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:37 PM

Wow, that last screen cap of Data looks amazing.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#1053 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:40 AM

It wasn't. The original broadcasts weren't a blurred-out mess like the comparison press shots. Those press shots remind me of those VHS bootlegs from comic conventions. Even the original VHS transfers were shit.

Wow, that last screen cap of Data looks amazing.

You ain't joking.

#1054 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:07 AM

It was "OK" for it's time...the DVD made it worse.... the only thing they improved was the audio for the DVD release. Season 1 and 2 where merky as hell.

#1055 davo1224

davo1224

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:21 PM

While picture quality has obviously gotten better with high definition, I definitely feel like there's some shenanigans going on. I watched XviD captures stretched to 16:9 and I didn't have a hard time telling the difference between Tasha and a wall. I can't imagine the actual TV presentations or the DVDs were worse. It seems like a big push to get people to shell out the money.

#1056 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:49 PM

http://www.blu-rayde...ray-review.html

with screenshots...

hmm...
Spoiler

#1057 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:34 PM

trek core posted a good number of shots, including space shots on their site.

http://tng.trekcore....ndex.html#s1cov

#1058 Cry Havoc

Cry Havoc

Breaker Breaker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:54 AM

Just finished watching The Captains on Netflix. Avery Brooks is a grade-A weirdo.

#1059 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:57 AM

Somebody in my area has up the 20th Anniversary complete series boxset of TNG for $40 up on CL, but they 'broke the green packaging and plastic that was around the DVD's'. But they still have the 'metal keepsake thing'. Their words, not mine.

Here's the ad: http://scranton.crai...2810948646.html

So you guys think I should take a shot on grabbing this set, especially if it were the full series set?

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#1060 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:01 AM

I think you'd be getting a good deal. The complete series packaging is complete shit anyway. You're getting each season for 6.00-- unbeatable.

#1061 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:53 PM

agreed. you are getting a hell of a deal for each episode to watch on an SDTV. Don't even try to bother watching it on an HDTV...not a good idea...

#1062 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:00 PM

Trekcore.com just posted a german trailer of the season 1 blu ray release. Looks like they redid the phasers and photon effects plus made a new explosion effect for ship explosions.

It's really too bad that we are not going to get the complete series this year.

#1063 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:26 PM

Trekcore.com just posted a german trailer of the season 1 blu ray release. Looks like they redid the phasers and photon effects plus made a new explosion effect for ship explosions.

It's really too bad that we are not going to get the complete series this year.

We didn't get all three seasons of TOS in the same year, so for TNG, I think I'm OK in waiting it out until we get a complete series set.

TOS did do a Complete Series set and it was cheaper than buying the season sets individually, except when you find them on random sales between Best Buy and Amazon and luck out with them cheaper.

I think $30 - $40 would be my buy point for TNG season sets individually, though that's probably a pipe dream and they'll release at $50 - $60 each like TOS did.

#1064 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:59 PM

Just watched the Season 3 episode with the Enterprise C and Tasha coming back. So great. I almost wish we could see more of this alt-universe.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#1065 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:05 PM

Just watched the Season 3 episode with the Enterprise C and Tasha coming back. So great. I almost wish we could see more of this alt-universe.

You know its really easy to criticize Star Trek in general for overusing the alternate universe and time travel plot devices buuuuuut on the other hand they really have led to some of the best episodes in all of the various series.

#1066 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:14 PM

yeah, I love that stuff. My one criticism of the show (all of them really except DS9 and I guess Enterprise although to a lesser extent) is that nothing ever seems to affect anything going forward. I love time travel episodes and alt-universe episodes but I hate how everything always goes back to the status quo when the episode ends like nothing ever happened.

#1067 lordwow

lordwow

Fmr. VP of the OTT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:44 PM

yeah, I love that stuff. My one criticism of the show (all of them really except DS9 and I guess Enterprise although to a lesser extent) is that nothing ever seems to affect anything going forward. I love time travel episodes and alt-universe episodes but I hate how everything always goes back to the status quo when the episode ends like nothing ever happened.

I think this was a symptom of the time period the series took place in. Serial storylines in TV only really became mainstream in the past decade. I would imagine if TNG was made today it would be much more serial.
Currently Playing: Borderlands 2 (360), Black Ops (360)

Posted Image

#1068 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:23 PM

I think this was a symptom of the time period the series took place in. Serial storylines in TV only really became mainstream in the past decade. I would imagine if TNG was made today it would be much more serial.

They wanted to make it a serial, they pitched it as having a Hill Street Blues type of format. But they were told to preserve the stand alone format for syndication since they often wouldn't air in order.

#1069 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:41 PM

Can we all agree that we are ready for another series? How awesome would it be if ST got picked up by HBO or FX or Sci-Fi or something with a little more "edge" to it? I don't need swearing and tits all over the place but something more "sophisticated" like BSG would be very very welcome. It has been too long...

#1070 lordwow

lordwow

Fmr. VP of the OTT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

I think I've mentioned in here before had Voyager been more like Year of Hell the entire run, it would definitely had been far more successful and respected IMO.

I would love to see a more serialized version of Trek. And I think any Trek fan would be interested in seeing another iteration of the Enterpirse down the line similar to how they jumped forward with TNG.
Currently Playing: Borderlands 2 (360), Black Ops (360)

Posted Image

#1071 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:44 PM

Can we all agree that we are ready for another series? How awesome would it be if ST got picked up by HBO or FX or Sci-Fi or something with a little more "edge" to it? I don't need swearing and tits all over the place but something more "sophisticated" like BSG would be very very welcome. It has been too long...

As interesting as it might be, a misguided effort in that direction (Enterprise) is what put it down. It's going to be a long time before we see ST that doesn't resemble the JJ Abrams version. His way is profitable.

I can't imagine a hands-off, artist-first outfit like HBO or FX wanting to go anywhere near ST, just because of Paramount. I don't know how Hollywood works, but I can imagine there would be a lot of headbutting involved that would prevent that kind of arrangement.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1072 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:09 PM

If it was on Showtime or HBO, we'd see alien sex every week...you know it's true...

#1073 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:15 PM

As interesting as it might be, a misguided effort in that direction (Enterprise) is what put it down. It's going to be a long time before we see ST that doesn't resemble the JJ Abrams version. His way is profitable.

I can't imagine a hands-off, artist-first outfit like HBO or FX wanting to go anywhere near ST, just because of Paramount. I don't know how Hollywood works, but I can imagine there would be a lot of headbutting involved that would prevent that kind of arrangement.

Star Trek isn't a cheap show, and HBO has its hands full with a lot of series going on at the moment, plus a couple that aren't cheap to produce (True Blood, Game Of Thrones). Adding a Star Trek series to the mix, plus with Paramount's tight reign of control over the franchise, would make it hard to deal with on more than one level.

FX wouldn't have the money for it, nor would the other cable networks like Showtime, A&E, FX and the like.

If it was on Showtime or HBO, we'd see alien sex every week...you know it's true...

No question there.

#1074 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:45 PM

It's funny, DS9 really picked up once they started focusing more on the serialized Dominion wars.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#1075 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:14 PM

It's funny, DS9 really picked up once they started focusing more on the serialized Dominion wars.

Exactly. The run starting when Worf arrived is the best stretch of ST out of all of the series or movies.

#1076 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:45 AM

We didn't get all three seasons of TOS in the same year, so for TNG, I think I'm OK in waiting it out until we get a complete series set.

TOS did do a Complete Series set and it was cheaper than buying the season sets individually, except when you find them on random sales between Best Buy and Amazon and luck out with them cheaper.

I think $30 - $40 would be my buy point for TNG season sets individually, though that's probably a pipe dream and they'll release at $50 - $60 each like TOS did.

That's true.. However from the interviews it looks like they are using the original ship plates and adjusting them for the HD release...so no more box mattes outlines that you saw during the first season. With that in mind, with less CG to create and focus towards sound and picture quality, it shouldn't take too long I hope. $50 dollars for a season sounds reasonable, but no way I am going to pay over 100 again for the seasons...that was my big expensive mistake for TNG, DS9, and ENT. I really wish Paramount would work on DS9 over the summer to give us something early next year.

#1077 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

anyone having trouble finding the next level blu ray? I've been to 3 targets and NONE of them have them :(

#1078 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:07 PM

It's $15 on amazon I think.

#1079 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:12 PM

16.99 At best buy. Just started watching the pilot. There is noticeable film grain...but really nothing can be done about that. Ship shots really look movie like. The intro has been slightly enhanced but still the same. So far so good...

#1080 nasum

nasum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:16 PM

you say that like it's a bad thing
3DS Buddy Code 2767-0055-5245 send a pm with your code if you add and I will return the favor
XBL - Nasum2