The Star Trek III (Back from the Dead) Thread

• Please log in to reply
1879 replies to this topic

#1171 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:43 AM

Ahhh, Site to Site was the term I was desperately trying to remember, but could not.

Amazon pricematched Walmart's preorder deal for season 1.
http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B0083TUEHY

Under 80 dollars. They have certainly got me by the balls-- 80 was my max. Now I seriously have to think about it.
You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#1172 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:50 AM

Now that's also a plot device to get them walking somewhere...

Or dune buggying.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1173 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:52 AM

Ugh, don't even mention that. You have to wonder what was going through the minds of the actors.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#1174 blandstalker

blandstalker

I am Irrelevant Bitching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:00 PM

Ugh, don't even mention that. You have to wonder what was going through the minds of the actors.

Not to resurrect another Nemesis smackdown, but it was their fault. Patrick Stewart got the buggies into the script because he likes to drive and wanted Picard to drive (I am still boggled at that). The writer was a friend of Spiner's, and was receptive to any "requests" for Picard or Data.

In other news that didn't get discussed here, Simon Pegg says the villain of the next Trek movie is not Khan. Personally, I'll be glad if this is true. I don't really see the need of remaking the old movies in the new universe, and I think I'll be happier if they leave Wrath of Khan alone. The last attempt...no I'm done going there ;)
Now playing: Some Game I Last Played Months Ago (DS), Ancient Game I Tried Once (PS3), Why Do I Never Update My Signature? (360), Backlog Assassins (iPad)

#1175 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:25 PM

I'd be glad too, I love Cumberpatch in Sherlock, but he won't be right as Khan, if the rumors are true.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#1176 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:28 PM

http://m.ign.com/art...in-my-uncharted

IGN: Will the Enterprise be a Normandy-style explorable hub?

Sheldon Carter: The only part of that question that I baulk at a little bit is the comparison to Mass Effect. I would say that we’re not an RPG, for sure, this is more of an - as I said, think Metroid Prime or Uncharted –but, yes! The whole ship is explorable. Basically we got the entire blueprints from the movie, so for the first time you’re going to be able to go down into the officer’s quarters, you’re going to go down to engineering, you’re going to go into the transporter room, and then on top of that we’ve got the whole cast so we want to use them! You want to be able to go and interact with all the members of the crew.

This game is looking epic, but don't want to get my hopes up. God of War writer, entire cast of Movie is voicing and helping with dialogue, the tops guys at Bad Robot seemed to be involved in the direction...

#1177 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:17 AM

Apparently the season 2 set is going to have a longer cut of Measure of a Man. Awesome.
http://trekmovie.com...asure-of-a-man/

#1178 blandstalker

blandstalker

I am Irrelevant Bitching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:02 PM

Apparently the season 2 set is going to have a longer cut of Measure of a Man. Awesome.
http://trekmovie.com...asure-of-a-man/

Now see, this is the kind of stuff that will have people justifying the price tag of these things. Great news!
Now playing: Some Game I Last Played Months Ago (DS), Ancient Game I Tried Once (PS3), Why Do I Never Update My Signature? (360), Backlog Assassins (iPad)

#1179 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:28 PM

I don't know if we really need extended cuts of the episodes. The timing and pacing were fine for most of the series...it was just in season 7 where they started having these poorly scripted side things going on that was suppose to give the characters more and it just felt out of place considering we had 7 years to know the characters.

#1180 dothog

dothog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:35 PM

I don't know if we really need extended cuts of the episodes.

I'm a fan who is largely uninterested in re-releases across formats (VCR, DVD, Blu Ray, whatever the shit's on deck). But I'm willing to consider it as more than a novelty, and perhaps even consider a purchase, if you pack in extras like interviews, behind-the-scenes footage, never-before-seen/deleted scenes, "Director's Cuts," so on.

So I'm probably completely on the other side of this issue from you.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1181 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:39 PM

I'm a fan who is largely uninterested in re-releases across formats (VCR, DVD, Blu Ray, whatever the shit's on deck). But I'm willing to consider it as more than a novelty, and perhaps even consider a purchase, if you pack in extras like interviews, behind-the-scenes footage, never-before-seen/deleted scenes, "Director's Cuts," so on.

So I'm probably completely on the other side of this issue from you.

Well directors/writers commentary would be nice... we are probably going to get a shit load of Okawa's(sp?) text commentaries, which is nice but can be distracting. Honestly I think the stuff written in the companion books are good enough.

Honestly which episodes need a DC? We don't need more of BOBW, SOTF or Inner Light. and Fuck Sub Rosa.

#1182 dothog

dothog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:09 PM

Honestly which episodes need a DC? We don't need more of BOBW, SOTF or Inner Light. and Fuck Sub Rosa.

You're not providing much support for that. IMO anytime we can see more of a B (or C story) that was previously cut to fit for broadcast, I'm all for that. I can't begin to enumerate episodes, good and bad, across all seasons that had B-stories that would have otherwise been more worthwhile if they were given a few more scenes. (I don't see how timing/pacing has anything to do with it, I think we're talking about deleted content here and not alternate takes, right?)

I don't see how a TNG fan could possibly be against this. It's such an odd position to take. Maybe if you explained the position in more detail beyond just listing episodes.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1183 TheCochese

TheCochese

I make things out of wood

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:18 PM

You're not providing much support for that. IMO anytime we can see more of a B (or C story) that was previously cut to fit for broadcast, I'm all for that. I can't begin to enumerate episodes, good and bad, across all seasons that had B-stories that would have otherwise been more worthwhile if they were given a few more scenes. (I don't see how timing/pacing has anything to do with it, I think we're talking about deleted content here and not alternate takes, right?)

I don't see how a TNG fan could possibly be against this. It's such an odd position to take. Maybe if you explained the position in more detail beyond just listing episodes.

Agreed. Otherwise, I'll stick with the Amazon streaming. Needs added value, and I consider DC better than slightly improved visuals.

#1184 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

http://www.fathomeve...spx?d=7/23/2012

Anyone going to that?

#1185 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:43 PM

Anyone going to that?

I dunno, it's seems pricey to me... I'll just wait it out for the BR release.

#1186 blandstalker

blandstalker

I am Irrelevant Bitching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:11 PM

I don't see how a TNG fan could possibly be against this. It's such an odd position to take.

I agree completely.

And yeah, Fuck Sub Rosa. But if there were deleted scenes, I actually would watch it again.

I agree that HD is the big draw. But HD isn't enough for me to want to watch a lot of these episodes again. I enjoyed seeing the stills for Code of Honor, but watching the episode? I have better things to do with my time.

That plays into a bit of reluctance with the new set. Yes, HD is wonderful, but I'm paying big bucks for episodes I have no intention of watching. Making them pretty won't help.

But, to see new scenes? That would be fascinating. Were there some good ideas in there that got cut? Was the episode a waste even with the deleted scenes? Would there be interesting tidbits that we missed out on because of time?

One of the magic things about DVD and Blu-Ray is that it's easy to present the viewer with both the original televised version and a version with the new scenes. It's trivial to do and doesn't take much effort or space. That way purists get the episodes as broadcast and archaeologists get to see additional footage.

For me, it would be a massive selling point to see something new in TNG and (hopefully) DS9. It would certainly get me off the fence. Heck, I'd probably preorder.

#1187 dothog

dothog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:06 PM

I really enjoy extra material, though I get it mainly through youtube. But it opens up so much, and it enriches a lot of internal debates over episodes or films.

Like the dune buggy discussion from earlier: when I saw the behind-the-scenes interview with Patrick Stewart on Nemesis and he's making it clear the buggies were his idea, that's something I absolutely had to see for myself to believe. I wouldn't have believed that had I read it somewhere or had anyone else told me, "Yeah, the buggies were PS's idea, not Berman's or the studio's." It's not that it made a difference in a big way in terms of my overall opinion of the movie. It's that there was value in seeing and hearing those words come out of his Shakespearean, buggy lovin' gob just settled that internal struggle about WTF is this buggy doing in my ST film?

The behind-the-scenes stuff on Trials and Tribbleations is another one that really enriches the episodes. It's such a fan favorite, and it's pandering in all the best ways, but when you watch those vids on the writing and production behind it, it makes you realize that it wasn't just "coasting" on technology, it was probably a career highlight for all of the production people involved. It doesn't make the episode more or less fun, it just adds that little bit that finalizes your opinion on the episode.

I'm talking a lot of BTS material, but deleted scenes, alternate takes, I love all that stuff. I think my favorite extras are usually interviews with writers, who seem more capable in discussing characters in a Big Picture way. Actors/producers tend to reduce things to scenes, whereas the writers are always eager to provide context.

Anyhow, if they include that on the TNG Blu Ray discs, I'm all over it. And not just on youtube, I might even consider picking up a couple of the stronger seasons if I found them on sale somewhere.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1188 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:09 PM

I am super stoked for the extra 20 (TWENTY) minutes of The Measure of a Man. That episode is just so great, and seeing more of it, even if it was deemed necessary to cut to fit airing restrictions, will be fantastic. And blandstalker already posted the excellent point that most TV series boxsets that do this show original and extended cuts. Seamless and effortless and pleases both parties. Opinions usually aren't wrong, but yours is ITDEFX, sorry.

Besides, there are no time slots on home video, so Fuck da rules. I want to see every single thing of TNG that was committed to the story and film. That would be amazing. Then throw in the damn bloopers why the hell not!

#1189 davo1224

davo1224

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:54 AM

Here's a question that someone more experienced can answer. Didn't the Tosk from DS9 appear on TNG?

I remember an alien life form that was messing around with the crew and at the end of the episode, they locked them under a forcefield to teach them a lesson. Anyone remember this episode?

#1190 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:09 PM

Here's a question that someone more experienced can answer. Didn't the Tosk from DS9 appear on TNG?

I remember an alien life form that was messing around with the crew and at the end of the episode, they locked them under a forcefield to teach them a lesson. Anyone remember this episode?

ahhh no... similar design I think.... Michael Westmore did the aliens for the trek series.

#1191 TheCochese

TheCochese

I make things out of wood

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:32 PM

I believe you're thinking of this: http://en.memory-alp...wiki/Allegiance

#1192 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:48 AM

I'd only buy the Blu-Ray if they included all the TNG recuts on Youtube in 1080p.

#1193 davo1224

davo1224

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:42 PM

Yup that's exactly what I was thinking of

#1194 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:45 AM

The Galileo shuttlecraft from TOS sold at auction for $70,000-- Story

Posted Image

Thing looks like a hunk of junk now. Hard to believe someone would pony up that kind of cash for it in that condition!

Link to Auction , with more pictures and videos.

#1195 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:09 AM

The thing has been restored twice already, is there anything original even on it?

#1196 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

That's a shame that it was preserved after all of these years. But I heard there was a group that was trying to win it so they could restore it and preserve it. Did they win the auction?

#1197 lordwow

lordwow

Fmr. VP of the OTT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:04 PM

Anyone going to that?

I have to say though, if there's ever a Season 3 Yesterday's Enterprise/BOBW Theater experience... I'll be there.
Currently Playing: Borderlands 2 (360), Black Ops (360)

Posted Image

#1198 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:34 PM

I have to say though, if there's ever a Season 3 Yesterday's Enterprise/BOBW Theater experience... I'll be there.

Yeah, those two episodes they picked aren't enough to get me into a theater. honeslty I've never cared for the first few seasons of any of the Trek shows really. It seems to always take until around season 3 before they really find their groove.

Also, I wonder if they'll update the Borg personal shield effects in the coming seasons? Cause the original effect was just to blur the actor out, then later on in First contact and Voyager the green force field type effect was used.

#1199 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:05 PM

That is a good question. I won't be upset either way, though I prefer they keep the old effect. That can be explained as the Borg later improved their shield tech.

#1200 davo1224

davo1224

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:43 AM

So do any Trekkies like the TNG movies? Only seems like casual fans appreciated them. I liked Generations, thought Insurrection was boring but not bad, absolutely hated First Contact, and turned my brain off for Nemesis.