The Star Trek III (Back from the Dead) Thread

• Please log in to reply
1874 replies to this topic

#1471 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:54 AM

I think season 2 is done and being prepped for retail right now.

But to be honest, they should really use the First Contact cube because of the large amount of detail it has and it doesn't look like a major kit bash like you see in that episode.

#1472 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:38 AM

Honestly, from an artistic standpoint, I think the Enterprise model (it's fucking gorgeous, especially the larger one they used early on) could hang with a CGI cube without it looking rediculous. But I get their line of thinking. I'm thinking they're really afraid of even slightly coming off Lucas-esque.

#1473 Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Keep Calm Chive On

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:51 AM

Honestly, from an artistic standpoint, I think the Enterprise model (it's fucking gorgeous, especially the larger one they used early on) could hang with a CGI cube without it looking rediculous. But I get their line of thinking. I'm thinking they're really afraid of even slightly coming off Lucas-esque.

Considering Industrial Light & Magic did most of the Star Trek movies and it is owned by Lucasfilms then Star Trek as a hole went Lucas-esque :bouncy:

Check my YouTube channel for exotic cars: https://www.youtube.com/user/DKGarage

#1474 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

Considering Industrial Light & Magic did most of the Star Trek movies and it is owned by Lucasfilms then Star Trek as a hole went Lucas-esque :bouncy:

I think the effects house that did TNG was called Image G?

Honestly I wish they would give space more lively backgrounds instead of just stars.

oh and I JUST got my tickets for the TNG Event at the end of the month!

#1475 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:43 AM

Honestly I wish they would give space more lively backgrounds instead of just stars.

B5 went that route, they had to be creative to make their primitive early 90s CGI look good.

#1476 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

B5 went that route, they had to be creative to make their primitive early 90s CGI look good.

Yeah...

man oh man.....JMS and WB better get cracking with B5 HD soon :(

#1477 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:03 AM

Hmm..... now this shot could have used the CG enterprise instead of the original model....... even the background vortex looks better than the model :(

argh

#1478 blandstalker

blandstalker

I am Irrelevant Bitching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:00 AM

Actually, they did it because they wanted it to look more like space. Many of the backgrounds in B5 came from the Hubble Space Telescope. And a good number of them, while enhanced, are reasonably close to what they would actually look like if you were there, to the best of our ability to speculate.

B5 didn't really need to make their space shots better, anyway -- those were decent. It was the interior shots and aliens that revealed the limitations of their CGI the most.

(Oh, and since NASA had shared the images with the B5 folks and they were public domain, it was a lot easier to use real images than create new backgrounds.)

I think the best thing they can do right now is make it look good but not too distracting. We all know what it looked like before -- I even hate to think of how many times some of us have seen some of these episodes.

Sometimes less really is more. It's fun to look at the improved quality and even scrutinize the effects or improvements. But too many of them and you lose the whole point. It no longer becomes about what's there, but about what's changed.
Now playing: Some Game I Last Played Months Ago (DS), Ancient Game I Tried Once (PS3), Why Do I Never Update My Signature? (360), Backlog Assassins (iPad)

#1479 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

I have this crazy feeling that WB/JMS is going to make an announcement for B5 HD sometime next year. It was shot in 16x9....so as long as the footage is in good shape, people did their jobs [like what the editors did for TNG] and the models can be rebuilt it shouldn't be that bad of a restoration project.

#1480 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

http://trekweb.com/a...mber-2012.shtml

why hello there Transporter operator who's about to get banged by the space pirate :P

you know from the latest screenshots...it's almost like they are comparing the BR HD release to the VHS release..........the DVD's did not look that bad on SDTV's..

EDIT: yes I was right! Look at the top of the SD frames.......those white lines. I have seen them when digitizing vhs to the computer via video capture cards [ATI]

Edited by ITDEFX, 11 November 2012 - 10:05 PM.

#1481 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

Well this was a no brainer since it was easier than the TNG HD project considering Enterprise was shot in HD... My guess they are going to upscale the space shots from 72O to 1O8Op instead of redoing it............ I read somewhere that even BSG was upscaled that way as well for the BR release and fans didn't care.

http://trekweb.com/a...y-in-2013.shtml

#1482 davo1224

davo1224

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

Maybe it's heresy to mention it in this thread but someone brought up Babylon 5. Thoughts? Opinions?

#1483 EdRyder

EdRyder

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

Well this was a no brainer since it was easier than the TNG HD project considering Enterprise was shot in HD... My guess they are going to upscale the space shots from 72O to 1O8Op instead of redoing it............ I read somewhere that even BSG was upscaled that way as well for the BR release and fans didn't care.

http://trekweb.com/a...y-in-2013.shtml

Just to clear things up a bit. Enterprise was shot on 35mm film until season 4 (Then they shot on Sony 1080i HD cameras) TOS and TNG were also shot on 35 mm. I can understand the confusion because Enterprise was an HD on air broadcast throughout its entire run.

Just wanted to clear that up. :D Theres still to this day: NO camera thats "higher" definition than film. Film is the end all be all of HD. (Even the big red 1 uses a traditional 35 mm lens)

#1484 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

Actually, they did it because they wanted it to look more like space. Many of the backgrounds in B5 came from the Hubble Space Telescope. And a good number of them, while enhanced, are reasonably close to what they would actually look like if you were there, to the best of our ability to speculate.

B5 didn't really need to make their space shots better, anyway -- those were decent. It was the interior shots and aliens that revealed the limitations of their CGI the most.

It was more to make space look interesting than realistic. You're right though, their space stuff still holds up today, it's stuff like the train scenes that really suck but they didn't really have a budget for that anyway. JMS said that DS9's pilot episode alone had a budget similar to B5's entire first season.

Maybe it's heresy to mention it in this thread but someone brought up Babylon 5. Thoughts? Opinions?

Haven't seen a better story from start to finish in a TV series yet. Sad that much of the cast has died and that the movie never materialized.

#1485 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:14 PM

Best space sci fi drama ever..until BSG :D

It was more to make space look interesting than realistic. You're right though, their space stuff still holds up today, it's stuff like the train scenes that really suck but they didn't really have a budget for that anyway. JMS said that DS9's pilot episode alone had a budget similar to B5's entire first season.

Haven't seen a better story from start to finish in a TV series yet. Sad that much of the cast has died and that the movie never materialized.

That's true...it's like Star Trek actors last longer than b5 actors..hmm.. Shit even the TNG cast is still alive...........but who will care when Wil Weaton dies? ;)

Just to clear things up a bit. Enterprise was shot on 35mm film until season 4 (Then they shot on Sony 1080i HD cameras) TOS and TNG were also shot on 35 mm. I can understand the confusion because Enterprise was an HD on air broadcast throughout its entire run.

Just wanted to clear that up. :D Theres still to this day: NO camera thats "higher" definition than film. Film is the end all be all of HD. (Even the big red 1 uses a traditional 35 mm lens)

Well I never saw Enterprise in HD during it's run only in SD but it still looked good. Seeing it in HD in Fios a few year back was pretty good even though I know that the signal is compressed worse than BR's.

Well actually I was thinking of more of a proper wide screen format. Wasn't it shot with widescreen 16x9 in mind?

#1486 Mandy I Am

Mandy I Am

Mew Lickens

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

Is anyone else going to the theater event for Star Trek: The Next Generation on November 29th? It's at select theaters and they're showing 2 episodes from season 2: Q Who? and The Measure of a Man. I went to the one back in July and it was fun and I can't wait for the event on the 29th.

#1487 Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Keep Calm Chive On

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:38 PM

Is anyone else going to the theater event for Star Trek: The Next Generation on November 29th? It's at select theaters and they're showing 2 episodes from season 2: Q Who? and The Measure of a Man. I went to the one back in July and it was fun and I can't wait for the event on the 29th.

is it an event?

or is it two episodes on a movie screen?

meaning what else happens?

#1488 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:48 PM

I am! Taking my wife with me! She is not a trekker but it's something I want to share with her.

#1489 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

is it an event?

or is it two episodes on a movie screen?

meaning what else happens?

Yep, 2 remastered episodes on the screen and I think from what other cags said there is an intro from the TNG remaster team, previews of the next season release and some free stuff. Some people also reported a signal loss [so I guess it's transmitted] ruining the event..

#1490 Mandy I Am

Mandy I Am

Mew Lickens

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:41 AM

Some people also reported a signal loss [so I guess it's transmitted] ruining the event..

The only thing I noticed was no audio during one of the commentaries before they showed the episodes. It was a bit annoying and it took a while before they got it fixed. People were getting a little bothered by it and we were all glad that there were no issues during the actual episodes.

I hope there is more trivia this time and not the same questions on a loop.

#1491 Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Keep Calm Chive On

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:37 AM

Yep, 2 remastered episodes on the screen and I think from what other cags said there is an intro from the TNG remaster team, previews of the next season release and some free stuff. Some people also reported a signal loss [so I guess it's transmitted] ruining the event..

what kind of free stuff? and does everyone get it or only handful of people?

#1492 Mandy I Am

Mandy I Am

Mew Lickens

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:42 AM

what kind of free stuff? and does everyone get it or only handful of people?

I'd like to know this too. The theater I went to didn't give out anything free or maybe they did and I just didn't notice.

#1493 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:57 AM

I don't know... it's all from what I read online.........just read a few pages back ....I think Friend of Sonic was at one of these.

#1494 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:57 AM

Yeah, the season 1 event was cool. I didn't get anything free though. Also, keep in mind Fathom brings their own equipment. It's a stream, not using the nice digital projector or anything the theater has. Still, pretty cool. And these two episodes are much better. Seeing the uncut version of The Measure of a Man will be a special treat.
You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#1495 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

Yeah, the season 1 event was cool. I didn't get anything free though. Also, keep in mind Fathom brings their own equipment. It's a stream, not using the nice digital projector or anything the theater has. Still, pretty cool. And these two episodes are much better. Seeing the uncut version of The Measure of a Man will be a special treat.

wait? What do you mean bring their own equipment? Is it some guys with a laptop, a so so projector?

#1496 razrvamp

razrvamp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

That's true...it's like Star Trek actors last longer than b5 actors..hmm.. Shit even the TNG cast is still alive...........but who will care when Wil Weaton dies? ;)

Sheldon Cooper that's who

#1497 Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Keep Calm Chive On

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

Wil Wheaton is one of the most followed people on Twitter

He is at the top of nerdom

#1498 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

wait? What do you mean bring their own equipment? Is it some guys with a laptop, a so so projector?

It's a different projector that's showing a Dish Network satellite feed, so compression is definitely an issue. But it doesn't look terrible or anything. You can just sort of tell you're watching a Fathom Event vs. a movie lol.

#1499 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

Wil Wheaton is one of the most followed people on Twitter

He is at the top of nerdom

Yeah..he's the one of the few people in Trek who can explain how the warp engines really work. :roll:

It's a different projector that's showing a Dish Network satellite feed, so compression is definitely an issue. But it doesn't look terrible or anything. You can just sort of tell you're watching a Fathom Event vs. a movie lol.

oh wow...was not expecting this. *sigh* :| Maybe I should get my 25 dollars back.

#1500 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

new shots posted.

http://tng.trekcore....sn2stills3.html

Now see this is why I prefer the First Contact cube vs the Q who one... now it really looks like a kit bash :(

http://tng.trekcore....entfires_hd.jpg

the first contact cube

http://images2.wikia..._Sector_001.jpg