The Star Trek III (Back from the Dead) Thread

• Please log in to reply
1874 replies to this topic

#1621 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

So I was watching the BOBW trailer on another site and it looks like it's been updated.

Check out the borg cube going boom! Holy Cow! :D

#1622 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

I finally noticed in the trailer, the blurry Borg shield effect is still there. The cube looked awesome though.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#1623 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

I think they need to put a praxis shockwave in that boom and shake the camera.

#1624 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

oh damn, someone already compared the two from the trailer

even for it's time period , that explosion was pretty cool. Although I think they putt too much of those sparks flying around. I am sure a lot of people are going to clap for this one. :)

#1625 s0undwav3

s0undwav3

Report Lazerbeak!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

The original 1990 explosion is far better, I remember seeing sparks coming out the side of my TV back then!
- S0uNdWaV3

#1626 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

The original 1990 explosion is far better, I remember seeing sparks coming out the side of my TV back then!

Lol, that boom must have damaged your tv then!

Don't get me wrong, that new explosion looks very good..but it seems like it is missing more boom than the original one. Perhaps they weren't able to find the shot of the cube exploding? I can understand that... I am wondering how the enterprise explosions from Cause and Effect will turn out because as you know that ship blew up several times in that episode, each with a different boom!

#1627 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:34 AM

So I just happened to catch an episode on BBC America today while folding laundry.

The Ensigns of Command from season 3. http://en.wikipedia....igns_of_Command
Oh dear god. The episode in of itself, wasn't too bad, even if it was just a basic "Data learns to be more human. Episode never referenced again"

But the acting level of the colonists is on like sub-community theater. Almost uncomfortable to watch.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#1628 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:39 AM

Sci-Fi guest stars are typically the worst of the worst. Better actors won't deal with the makeup.

#1629 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:55 AM

I dunno...Tony Todd was pretty good inside and outside of make up. I was really bummed that they had to mind wipe and face lift his character in ds9....all because of Worf's mistake.

#1630 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:20 AM

Sci-Fi guest stars are typically the worst of the worst. Better actors won't deal with the makeup.

No make up involved. They were all human colonists. The actor playing the human leader wasn't even credited on the wikipedia page, which gives me the hope that this was his only role and he was never seen again.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#1631 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:11 AM

I'm probably going to be a giant tool and buy that release of Best of Both Worlds.

What would be kickass, and won't happen of course, but it would be killer if they did an optional cut of the episode where they somehow incorporate some of the battle scenes from Emissary. It'd only be a little of extra padding to the episode, but it'd be a really nice touch, especially since they're doing a cash grab for these two episodes.

CBS-D are sexy:
Q-Who shot from team of scrubs
http://mediacdn.disq...10/original.jpg

Best of Both Worlds from CBS-D
http://mediacdn.disq...11/original.jpg

Sexy, sexy compositing.
You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#1632 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

Yeah, the Cube shot from CBS looks 100x better. I actually like the new explosion scene too, the original seemed too bright, too white.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#1633 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

I don't know what the status is of the original footage from the explosion wiether it was lost or unusable for the remaster, but if they did have the original footage..couldn't they have tweaked the coloring of the explosion a bit? It did look really good for it's time period. Wasn't the cube above earth when it stopped?

With an explosion that close and large wouldn't pieces have fallen into the planet?

#1634 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:05 AM

details
http://tng.trekcore....ssreleases.html

You know I have yet to see the roundtable interview from Season 2. Is it worth the hour long viewing?

#1635 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

Well if we're nitpicking, noisy explosions in space aren't exactly realistic. ;)

#1636 davo1224

davo1224

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

I couldn't put a name to a face for Tony Todd so I did a Google Image Search. I remembered but also in the same results was the paralyzed alien that Bashir boned. Good stuff, even if it was way too similar to Odo's storyline.

#1637 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

the ds9 collection is out on lalalandrecords.com GO GO GO!!!

#1638 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

The Ensigns of Command from season 3. http://en.wikipedia....igns_of_Command
Oh dear god. The episode in of itself, wasn't too bad, even if it was just a basic "Data learns to be more human. Episode never referenced again"

Think of it as another in a long line of episodes depicting Data as either a literal sex machine or his own cockblock.

Also, as Data and gettin it on goes, Data either did or could've pulled more ass than Geordi, Worf, and O'Brien put together. That's right, isn't it? Yar, the flautist, the chick you've pointed out here put him at a tie with the three (right?), and I feel like there's at least one or two more. I forget a lot of it.

Well if we're nitpicking, noisy explosions in space aren't exactly realistic. ;)

To continue the nitpicking, explosions in space have more roman candle effects in them.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1639 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:39 AM

whoa

http://tng.trekcore....wtrailerhd.html

Argh april can't get here fast enough!

#1640 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:50 AM

umm...can anyone spot the goof in this shot?

http://tng.trekcore....ailerhd_069.jpg

#1641 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:56 AM

whoa

http://tng.trekcore....wtrailerhd.html

Argh april can't get here fast enough!

Oh yeah. As far as first world problems go, this goes to show why it was a complete tragedy to give season 2 to HTV. Really unfortunate we're not getting a consistent product where there's such genius readily available.

lol, they are cursed with phaser blast screwups.

#1642 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:59 AM

It's not what you think. If you look at the phaser stream coming from the visible nacelle pylon, there's no flash at the bank as well as originating higher than it should, whereas the photon torpedo launcher has a flash when it fires a torpedo.

What you're seeing is just an optical illusion because of perspective...unless you're talking about how the phaser steam is too high to begin with, then nevermind.:D

#1643 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:01 AM

Oh yeah. As far as first world problems go, this goes to show why it was a complete tragedy to give season 2 to HTV. Really unfortunate we're not getting a consistent product where there's such genius readily available.

lol, they are cursed with phaser blast screwups.

I am really starting to worry about that phaser blast coming out of the forward photon torpedo tube from the 5th season episode "Darmok" and that if it's not corrected it's gonna be a bad oops :roll:

I think the Oduka's are starting to fall asleep during the inspections of the these shots.

#1644 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:03 AM

You know I would have loved to have had an amazon/bb exclusive steelbook or 3.75 inch figure of each character with each season.

#1645 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:10 AM

Steelbooks are sexy-- would have loved a steel'd out collection of TNG.

EDIT: Oh, shit, look at what Germany got.
http://images3.wikia..._steelbook).jpg

#1646 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

It's not what you think. If you look at the phaser stream coming from the visible nacelle pylon, there's no flash at the bank as well as originating higher than it should, whereas the photon torpedo launcher has a flash when it fires a torpedo.

What you're seeing is just an optical illusion because of perspective...unless you're talking about how the phaser steam is too high to begin with, then nevermind.:D

lookie

#1647 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

Meh, I figured that they were close enough considering the scene happens so fast.

#1648 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:52 AM

Meh, I figured that they were close enough considering the scene happens so fast.

No! I demand perfection!

#1649 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:18 AM

No! I demand perfection!

Exactly this project has been in the works for years so every vfx scene needed to be redone frame by frame. The Okadua's (sp?) know their trek tech so there is no excuse for this vfx phaser error.

#1650 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:17 AM

lookie

That's totally accurate. One officer is firing out of a window in the saucer, while somersaulting space suit guy from space dock is firing from the pylon.