Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Star Trek III (Back from the Dead) Thread

• Please log in to reply
1874 replies to this topic

#1861 spaboolly

spaboolly

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:18 PM

Never been to a convention, but if he starts going to them, seems like a cool guy to meet:
http://www.treknews....rek-convention/

Not sure how he has much time with his TV show and movies. Not sure if the guy has had a bad role.

You poor soul.  The conventions are great.  I went the year the first new movie came out and ended up with a movie poster signed by Zachary Quinto (nice guy).

ForumTriforce2.jpg
Scribe. Purveyor of Logic. Player of Video Games.

#1862 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:25 PM

DAMN...I SOOOO want to go to that one. Haven't been to one in over 20 years and it's right in my hood.
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#1863 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:40 PM

oooooooo YEAH!!!

Even though it's mostly recycled footage from the Pilot, it's nice to see the station in HD. 

and YES THERE ARE 4 LIGHTS!!!

One strange question though.... why didn't they release Time's Arrow or Descent?  I am sure they will release All good things as a single disc release.

#1864 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:29 PM

For all you Massholes wanting to go to the con in Boston this summer, Groupon is selling 1 day tickets for $12 a pop. Regular price is $20.
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#1865 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:52 PM

Finally saw Into Darkness last night.  It was great.  I really love the casting they've done in these 2 movies.  I also loved the call backs to Wrath of Kahn - it was a fun popcorn sci-fi movie which is really all you need.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#1866 davo1224

davo1224

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:01 AM

I think a good start would be TNG because it seems to be the most accessible

#1867 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:50 AM

I just stumbled upon this likely total BS(I'm not familiar with the site but sounds like satire). But I'm posting the link because its something I can see CBS doing. Its based on about 65% of their lineup already!

http://www.calltheco...levision-shows/
PS3, 360, Wii, DS,3DS, Vita
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#1868 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:52 AM

Finally saw Into Darkness last night. It was great. I really love the casting they've done in these 2 movies. I also loved the call backs to Wrath of Kahn - it was a fun popcorn sci-fi movie which is really all you need.

I don't think anyone complains about the casting. JJ Abrams is a genius at casting, I think everyone can agree with that. Its the writing that makes us roll our eyes.

#1869 AvengedBacklog

AvengedBacklog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:03 AM

I don't think anyone complains about the casting. JJ Abrams is a genius at casting, I think everyone can agree with that. Its the writing that makes us roll our eyes.

you know, as someone who watched all of TOS and TNG and a pretty good chunk of DS9 and Voyager, I dont see whats so bad about JJ's writing.  I like that theres a bit of a different spin to the Trek universe now.

Want to get in on a FREE HDTV or $440 cash?  Join the Conga Line fun right here through CAG! 

http://www.cheapassg...-in-on-the-fun/

#1870 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

I just stumbled upon this likely total BS(I'm not familiar with the site but sounds like satire). But I'm posting the link because its something I can see CBS doing. Its based on about 65% of their lineup already!

http://www.calltheco...levision-shows/

If those are true it seems to indicate we'd be going back to the original time line considering they're talking about a Defiant class ship. I've always kind of hoped they'd go back to the original timeline so we could see a fallout from the destruction of Romulus (and yes, I've heard that there are novels that cover it).

Also, I'd just like to be able to watch Star Trek on TV again

#1871 blandstalker

blandstalker

I am Irrelevant Bitching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:20 PM

you know, as someone who watched all of TOS and TNG and a pretty good chunk of DS9 and Voyager, I dont see whats so bad about JJ's writing.  I like that theres a bit of a different spin to the Trek universe now.

It's not terrible, but it's also not very good.  It's different, I'll give it that, but much of the difference is that he takes established lore and puts it through a blender.  The result is very much like Voyager: pretty to look at, not much in the upstairs department, and been done before, better.

If Into Darkness is any indication where it's going, it's...alright, I guess?  Into Darkness really surprised me.  I was hoping to love it.  Then I saw it, and I logically realized it should cause me to nerdrage.  But the end result was a great big meh.  It was okay, though I don't think I ever want to see it again.

It was pretty and loud and occasionally fun and occasionally stupid.  It's a popcorn movie that is not so egregiously bad as a Michael Bay film, but it's also not terribly good, when it all comes down to it.  I liked the first hour.  Then it got increasingly silly and unbelievable.  Then it just started throwing so many things at the screen that my brain gave up.  When Spock was playing Frogger with Khan on the moving ships at the end, I threw in the towel.  I don't even want to talk about the reworking of Star Trek II's ending.  I won't call it emotional manipulation, though, because that takes some skill.  This was just dumb.

In the end: no, I don't like it.  Like Voyager, it defies analysis or criticism because there just isn't a whole lot of thought going into its production.  The plot is a hash with so many things that don't make sense that it's crazy to even try.  There is zero emotional resonance because I can't take any of it seriously enough.  They are attempting to tick off many checkboxes without bothering to see if the final product holds together or makes any sort of logical or emotional sense.  Too many checkboxes. 

And that's the problem with JJ's writing.  It's spectacle and it's fun, but there's no depth or heart.  It's about in line with the SW Prequels, except the acting's better and there aren't as many lines that are groaners.  I should be mad at it, but I guess I've decided it is not worth being mad at.  Like the SW prequels, it just isn't real to me anymore.  I can watch the original stuff and pretend the new stuff doesn't exist.

Now playing: Some Game I Last Played Months Ago (DS), Ancient Game I Tried Once (PS3), Why Do I Never Update My Signature? (360), Backlog Assassins (iPad)

#1872 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2014 - 02:45 AM

If those are true it seems to indicate we'd be going back to the original time line considering they're talking about a Defiant class ship. I've always kind of hoped they'd go back to the original timeline so we could see a fallout from the destruction of Romulus (and yes, I've heard that there are novels that cover it).

Also, I'd just like to be able to watch Star Trek on TV again

Well, JJ's people have said his original plan was to make a TV series if the movie made plenty of money. The TV show would be much more cerebral. Then CBS happened.

#1873 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:10 PM

Look like we ARE getting a more cerebral movie. The newbs who are writing it want to go back to core trek!

http://www.thetrekco...r-2016.html?m=1

#1874 tangytangerine

tangytangerine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:09 PM

Good, just as long as we don't get another corny story like searching for god like ST5: The Final Frontier did.

I'd like to see them do a Borg story set in that universe.

#1875 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:56 PM

Good, just as long as we don't get another corny story like searching for god like ST5: The Final Frontier did.

I'd like to see them do a Borg story set in that universe.

That's easy. Remember the Narada in the first movie was a Romulan mining ship that was augmented with Borg tech.