EB/GS Mario Party 8 Wii $35 Trade in Value promo YMMV?

Legendaryhedgehog06

CAGiversary!
I went to my local EB today to drop off some games for credit. I had Zelda TP, Warioware SM, Mario Party 8, Cooking Mama Cook off and Hamtaro Ham Ham Games.

I planned running them through on the trade 5 get 30% extra deal, the register guy scanned a small square flier with Mario on it that said $35 Trade in Credit on Mario Party 8 until July 8th. Sadly it didnt stack with the 30% but it stacked with the edge card for 38.50. Not bad considering I went around the corner to another store and got a used Mario Party 8 free with two other Wii games I wanted.

The guy had a stack of them behind the desk so start looking for them at your local stores.

Wow... 35 dollars for a week old game. I can't help but laugh at anyone who buys that game for 50 and trades it within a week. I'm not saying that is YOUR situation, but I'm sure there are people that did it.

The deal is good until the start of next month so you can buy a used one, play it to death then trade it and only lose about 3.50 if you have a store card.

[quote name='o2012o']Wow... 35 dollars for a week old game. I can't help but laugh at anyone who buys that game for 50 and trades it within a week. I'm not saying that is YOUR situation, but I'm sure there are people that did it.[/QUOTE]

35 is the SPECIAL PROMOTION! Without it, trade in value is $25!

As another poster said though, such a low trade value for a WEEK OLD GAME is kinda ridiculous. But, this is due to the shmoes who play it for a week, then trade it without flinching at the ridiculous price it only gets.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']As another poster said though, such a low trade value for a WEEK OLD GAME is kinda ridiculous. But, this is due to the shmoes who play it for a week, then trade it without flinching at the ridiculous price it only gets.[/QUOTE]

Or the guy in front of me when I went to ask (trying to take advantage of the $40-20 off two deal at Circuit City) about the Trade In Value... who picked up Forza, brand new, without flinching when Circuit City *AND* Best Buy both had better deals. So sad...

$35 isn't horribly bad when you consider CC had it for $40 ($10 less than that if you ordered it off the website).

While I know bashing GS/EB on their trade in values is the popular thing to do, $35 is pretty high, all things considered.

Oh I know Gamestop suck when it comes to trade in values. That said, if this runs into July it means everyone who got it at launch or whatever and are done with it by then can make out on returning it.

If only you could find a store with three used copies, buy 2 get one free, then flip all three of them back and end up making money on the deal (or at least getting a copy for yourself)...

[quote name='loserboy']If only you could find a store with three used copies, buy 2 get one free, then flip all three of them back and end up making money on the deal (or at least getting a copy for yourself)...[/QUOTE]
Policy is not to take multiples of a game for trade-in. This is erratically enforced.

Why are people thinking $35 is such a low trade-in value?

I didn't check Ebay values, but I have to assume it's around $35 on Ebay.. and like the OP said, it's $38.50 with Edge.

The game only sells for $45 used... $41.50 with Edge. So if someone is trading it in with Edge, and someone else buys it with Edge, EB makes a whopping $3 profit.

I know EB gives low trade-in values for other games, but to go and say $35 is a bad trade-in value on a new game, cmon, give me a break. Do you want them to give you $45 in trade-in or something like that?

Most of us have Edge, and $38.50 for a game you only paid $50 (or maybe $40) for is pretty decent.

EB / GS has shitty deals but this isn't really one of them. To call it ridiculous, well, you're not really looking at it from a logical point of view.

On a much smarter note, I held off on buying Mario Party 8 in the first place because I knew about the B2G1, and I knew people are stupid, paying $50 to rent a game for a week, and then trading it in for $35 (wouldn't it have been smarter to just go to Blockbuster?). I've been keeping an eye on the item locater and as of last night, the closest used MP8 was 38 miles away. I wake up this morning, check again, and BAM!, the gamestop right down the street from my apartment has a copy.

I picked up MP8, Spiderman 3 (which isn't as terrible as the reviews...webslinging with the remote and nunchuk is badass), and Sonic: Secret Rings for $86. I had $53 left on a giftcard, so I walked out of the store only paying $33 out of pocket. I really wanted Warioware: SM to go with MP8, but they didn't have any. Depending on how Sonic is, I might exchange it for Warioware locally if I can find a copy.

[quote name='Roufuss']Why are people thinking $35 is such a low trade-in value?

[/quote]

Because it's only $35 with this "special". The normal trade in value was $25 a few days ago.

I didn't check Ebay values, but I have to assume it's around $35 on Ebay.. and like the OP said, it's $38.50 with Edge.

The game only sells for $45 used... $41.50 with Edge. So if someone is trading it in with Edge, and someone else buys it with Edge, EB makes a whopping $3 profit.

I know EB gives low trade-in values for other games, but to go and say $35 is a bad trade-in value on a new game, cmon, give me a break. Do you want them to give you $45 in trade-in or something like that?

Most of us have Edge, and $38.50 for a game you only paid $50 (or maybe $40) for is pretty decent.

EB / GS has shitty deals but this isn't really one of them. To call it ridiculous, well, you're not really looking at it from a logical point of view.[/quote]

Amen...Finally somone gets it!!

it says that the game must be purchased from may 29 to june 5 and original (gs i assume) receipt required

if u buy it as part of the buy 2 get 1 free, then trade it in for 35 with the coupon, you could get a pretty cheap ass deal

So then basically you HAVE to have bought it from them(for $50 probably) in order to get the 'big deal', eh monkey? Typical GS bs, putting in their own terms to make sure they still make money one way or the other on unsuspecting idiots.

EB / GS has shitty deals but this isn't really one of them. To call it ridiculous, well, you're not really looking at it from a logical point of view.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

EXACTLY... Look, I'm down on EB/GS trade-ins as much as anybody, but $35 for this game is pretty good. What I don't like about them is they've stopped the good bonus trade-in promos (the 2 Wii game one notwithstanding). The extra 30% is OK on higher priced games like this. Where EB/GS really screws people is on the lower-priced games - like ones they sell for $17.99 but give you $2-$3 for. THAT is where their trade-in values suck (and you need something like the trade 3 get an extra $10 deal to even begin to compensate for that).

(And yes, the normal trade value of $25 is pretty crappy, but to be expected).

[quote name='monkeydeew']it says that the game must be purchased from may 29 to june 5 and original (gs i assume) receipt required
[/QUOTE]

Now see, that makes the deal pretty shitty.

It wouldn't be so bad if someone got this at CC last week for $40, decided they didn't like it, traded it into EB with Edge for $38.50, and basacially got a rental for $1.50.

I've heard of this before...they pitch it like a 'long term rental' type thing. Not a terribly bad deal if--
you know about it ahead of time, and use it to blind buy a game that you may not have bought otherwise. Of course, with store and online rentals it's not quite as attractive, but still.

[quote name='monkeydeew']it says that the game must be purchased from may 29 to june 5 and original (gs i assume) receipt required

if u buy it as part of the buy 2 get 1 free, then trade it in for 35 with the coupon, you could get a pretty cheap ass deal[/quote]

Hmmm...now that I think of it the guy at the store asked me if i had a receipt with me and I just said um no. He said he would just put it up anyway and see if it would work and bingo it did. I guess that makes the deal even more YMMV?

Do any of you live in cities supported by craigslist? Or with access to half.com? Or know anyone who plays video games? Those options will always net you more cash than a trade-in at EB/GS for newer games, even with the best of trade-in deals. You could easily sell MP8 for $40-45 right now on craigslist, especially if you live in a state with high sales tax where a $49.99 game really costs people $54.
I really advocate direct sales because then you're not contributing to ripping off another video game fan simply for the sake of padding EB/GS wallets. And the fact that you end up with real money to be spent anywhere on anything, not just credit limited to one store chain that can't even be used online. Ugh. They rile me.

[quote name='mephitical']Do any of you live in cities supported by craigslist? Or with access to half.com? Or know anyone who plays video games? Those options will always net you more cash than a trade-in at EB/GS for newer games, even with the best of trade-in deals. You could easily sell MP8 for $40-45 right now on craigslist, especially if you live in a state with high sales tax where a $49.99 game really costs people $54.
I really advocate direct sales because then you're not contributing to ripping off another video game fan simply for the sake of padding EB/GS wallets. And the fact that you end up with real money to be spent anywhere on anything, not just credit limited to one store chain that can't even be used online. Ugh. They rile me.[/QUOTE]

You're kidding me, right? Even if I posted right now a used, mint copy of MP8 on CL for $35 cash I would get 'how about $25?' offers. Id have to list it at MSRP first and then hope to sell it for $35.

Are you serious? I live in Seattle area, so maybe it's just the market I'm in? Video game stuff sells like crazy here, and for good prices. Whenever there's a deal from EB/GS, I always calculate what would be most profitable, and most times it's craigslist or half.com. Most things I post on craigslist here are sold the same day I listed for my asking price. I just always ask for less than it would cost someone to buy retail, even used retail, and make sure to list the amount they are saving.

My knock was without the coupon, the value is 25.

I also advocate peer to peer. Also check the CAG forums.

EB / GS has shitty deals but this isn't really one of them. To call it ridiculous, well, you're not really looking at it from a logical point of view.[/QUOTE]

bread's done
Back