Photo
- - - - -

If you get a GED at 16 - Can you go to college?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Zen Davis

Zen Davis

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:38 PM

If a 16 year old gets his GED, gets good grades on his SATs, could they just go ahead and enter college at 16 years of age, or would they have to wait until they were 18?

Any advice on this would be great, particularly because it's information that would be important to my family.

Thanks for your time!

#2 VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla

Shark Barber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:39 PM

Sure you can, if you have a mean 16 foot jump shot, or can rush the passer.
Posted Image

#3 Zen Davis

Zen Davis

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:40 PM

I meant outside of sports.... :(

#4 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:40 PM

Example: http://en.wikipedia....iki/Amobi_Okoye

#5 mattheus

mattheus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:41 PM

Yeah, you can start off at a community college and work on your AA or AS and go into a university @18 as a junior. BS or BA by 20 if you play your cards right. I have friends that have done this and been happy with the outcome, it really depends on how you feel about high school. If you're ready to leave, why not do what fits you best. You are a young adult, you should be able to make adult decisions.

#6 JetTone

JetTone

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:43 PM

Yea, pretty much what everything Matt said. Though it may always vary by schools, so you should probably also contact the colleges you're looking at to find out what else you would need to do.

#7 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:49 PM

I was in a similar situation, graduated from a correspondence school when I was 16 and got a high school diploma. Unfortunately I'm 20 now and still haven't gone to college.
You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#8 ryan838

ryan838

Carpe poon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 June 2007 - 11:08 PM

Yeah, you can start off at a community college and work on your AA or AS and go into a university @18 as a junior. BS or BA by 20 if you play your cards right. I have friends that have done this and been happy with the outcome, it really depends on how you feel about high school. If you're ready to leave, why not do what fits you best. You are a young adult, you should be able to make adult decisions.

I did something like this except I was still enrolled in high school while I was going to college. The credit I was getting in college also applied to my high school credit. I still walked at high school graduation with my class. I also participated in high school events. I just took my classes at a college instead. I'm 21 now and almost done with my masters so it worked well for me.

#9 Eviltude

Eviltude

Steam Machine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 June 2007 - 11:11 PM

Yes, you can go to college, but good luck getting into a 4 year college or university. Like some people have said already, GED ==> Community College ==> Work or Transfer. Good luck.

Oh and GED exam is supposed to be super easy.
Posted Image

#10 Renegade_Zero

Renegade_Zero

D1 Scholarship

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2007 - 04:05 AM

A kid at my school got into UCLA and he's just finishing his junior year. He's going there in the fall. So yeah, you could. Just take college classes in high school, during summer, and during the school year. Make sure they're classes you get high school and college credit for, and then you could graduate early.
Super Smash Bros Brawl FC
Chuck 2191-7319-7874
Posted Image

#11 Capn Stabby

Capn Stabby

is ready for war.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2007 - 04:10 AM

If you're in California, hit up www.assist.org
to look up transferrable classes.

Counselors preach and preach about this website. Great source of legit info
[URL="http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105937"][/URL]

#12 browneyedgal68

browneyedgal68

Trading Time Out (Rule Violation) Do not trade!

• Trading Timeout - Rule Violation

Posted 07 June 2007 - 04:14 AM

You can also go to state universities with a GED, but you MUST have SATs and in some cases also ACTs. It's not a bad option, but make sure you speak with a rep from the school you're considering to eliminate any doubt. Anyone under 18 also needs parental signatures for EVERYTHING, so it may not be your ticket out if that's what you're looking for.

#13 Zen Davis

Zen Davis

Posted 07 June 2007 - 07:03 AM

It's supposed to be a mish-mash of GED, SAT, and CLEP exams to graduate ultra early and save a bunch of time and money.

#14 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2007 - 08:22 AM

i got my ged when i was 16, went to community college and transfered to a university and now i have a ba. i have no regregts because i hated high school, and a lot of my friends wish they had done the same thing. also, it was thousands of dollars cheaper than going to a university for 4 years. oh and i never took SATs or ACTs or anything like that.

Posted Image

#15 lordxixor101

lordxixor101

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2007 - 04:57 PM

Most high schools (like some people said) offer classes at colleges. So, this would be something to investigate first. If you can take the same community college classes while in high school, you'll save money, since you don't pay money to go to high school. So, that would likely be the best option.

If your looking for a university, you'll have to talk to them, but I'm guessing that most won't be too quick to let you in. There are special circumstances (if your really that smart), but most kids should just stay and finish up high school, taking higher level courses.

#16 MikeC

MikeC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2007 - 07:19 PM

Absolutely you can get into college at 16. There are examples of people graduating from college at ages even younger than that. And there's no need to do the community college thing either.

Just remember, the admissions are decided by each school based on a number of factors. Different ones may view younger applicants in different ways, and they may also judge the reasons why you left school early.