Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Tales from the Pawn Shop(s)!

• Please log in to reply
2019 replies to this topic

#31 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 17 June 2007 - 06:03 AM

See, that's what I thought, but I've been wrong before about games. I'm still surprised many places actually sold BMX XXX, which used footage of girls from Scores and topless female bike riders in it(I believe).

Wikipedia has a massive list of controversial and banned games.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#32 norkusa

norkusa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 June 2007 - 04:04 PM

Uh, no it wasn't.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/The_Guy_Game

Yeah, I know all about the official story. My point is you can't go into stores and buy magazines & vids of 17 yo girls flashing their tits. Why? Because it's highly illegal and the people selling them would get MAJOR fines and jail time if they did. That's why it makes absolutely no sense that major stores like EG/GS & Blockbuster are still selling this game if that story was really true.

The only official statement that I've ever seen about the case was made by Top Heavy Studios and was posted on Gamespot. That combined with the fact that the 17 yo was *still* included on the DVD re-release is why I call bullshit on this story.

#33 tangytangerine

tangytangerine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 June 2007 - 04:09 PM

See, now this is NOT typical of my local pawn shops, as they use Egay as their barometer for what to sell things for. For example, I went to see what they'd give me for the following today:

Halo Triple Pack
Jade Empire Limited Edition
Stubbs The Zombie

The total? $20 fuckin dollars, which makes them as bad as GS.

Either way, semi new titles are $32.95, 6 months to a year old titles are $23.95, old as shit titles range from $6 to $10 usually and nothing is under $5 most times.

How in the HELL people are able to get these prices is beyond me, since my area of the country must suck. People here think their shit is worth its weight in platinum.......

Good finds though.....

Except for the one that I mentioned where I got those GC games super cheap, the pawn shops around here over price. There's one that is wanting $15 each for a original Game Boy and Madden NFL '04 for Xbox, WTF?

Except for that one, I've stopped looking at Pawn Shops since they really don't know how to sell games.

#34 jjgames

jjgames

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 June 2007 - 05:46 PM

How often do you guys have to go to the pawn shops to find these deals? I have never found any good video game deals near me. I was wondering if you go 100 times and find a good deal once, or if you just find one good store and they always have the good prices.

#35 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 17 June 2007 - 05:54 PM

See, my stores here never have really good prices, cept on super old stuff. Although, there are 1-3 titles they have I've been wanting to play forever(like Rygar for the PS2, due to the fact I used to play the HELL out of the old arcade version), but I've been too cheap to spring for the $7 or $8 they want for it.

Now, the one local game shop on the other hand, he has incredible prices on most stuff and his shop is the one I've found most of my deals at that I didn't find out about here.

Posted Image

#36 norkusa

norkusa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 June 2007 - 06:02 PM

Either way, semi new titles are $32.95, 6 months to a year old titles are $23.95, old as shit titles range from $6 to $10 usually and nothing is under $5 most times.

How in the HELL people are able to get these prices is beyond me, since my area of the country must suck. People here think their shit is worth its weight in platinum.......

The trick is finding pawns that have fixed prices on ALL their games. It might not seem like they're are any, but they are out there. For example, there's about 10 pawns I go to in my area. Of those 10, about half of those sell ALL their games (except current gen stuff like 360 and Wii) with prices like $8 - $10 each. Those are the shops I like to go to on a regular basis. The rest that use Ebay/Gamestop prices I only go to once or twice a month.

BTW, here's my latest pawn shop find. Only cost me $8 out the door:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...68709&rd=1&rd=1

#37 rxdoga

rxdoga

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:21 AM

I found a Wii w/extras at a pawn for $180 today.

#38 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 18 June 2007 - 09:22 AM

The trick is finding pawns that have fixed prices on ALL their games. It might not seem like they're are any, but they are out there. For example, there's about 10 pawns I go to in my area. Of those 10, about half of those sell ALL their games (except current gen stuff like 360 and Wii) with prices like $8 - $10 each. Those are the shops I like to go to on a regular basis. The rest that use Ebay/Gamestop prices I only go to once or twice a month.

BTW, here's my latest pawn shop find. Only cost me $8 out the door:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...68709&rd=1&rd=1

See, my 2 local pawn shops use Ebay as their barometer for pricing stuff, so I mainly stick to the one local indy game shop, where the guy always tries to 'price stuff lower than GS'.

He has something like 3 shelves filled with guides from most of the major recent drops, most he sells for $3-5, with certain ones going for more and disappearing quick.

He sold me a non-GH God Of War for $10, then tossed in an instruction manual when I noticed it was missing. But, so far, he hasn't been my source to find a frakkin' RCA cable for a Genesis. NO ONE HAS THEM ANYMORE!!!

I SO wanna take the Genny I bought from him up my one buddies house to play Zombies Ate My Neighbors again. We spent countless hours going through it back in the day. Thing is, I have 2 copies of it now(MAY be putting one cart only up for trade soon), since I found a cart only one at a thrift store.

Anyway, to summarize my normally long post, my local PS's go by Ebay pricing for stuff to base what price they give people and price it at, though some older games like Rygar are like $6-7.

Posted Image

#39 SilverGriever

SilverGriever

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:52 AM

There are a couple different types of Pawn Shops, the independantly owned and the franchises. The franchises have a set of rules they have to adhere to in order to take something in, such as they pay $3 for any PS2 game, regardless of condition, or $30 for a PS2, any type as long as it has the cables and 1 controller.

The one I've been at for 3 years south of Atlanta is independant. I've paid as little as $1 for a game (usually something we're really loaded with like the original Splinter Cell). I still have to listen to what the boss says but as the only gamer there I pretty much have my say as to what to pay for stuff and price it at. I'll see what places are selling their used syste, for and sell it for the same and throw in a game, etc.

I agree, most Pawn Shops don't know MvC2 from Mario Bros and that's the best way to get good deal from them. If a local shop uses eBay prices, I'll give anyone permission to take a sledghammer upside their heads. If you want ebay prices, go post it on friggin' ebay.

If anyone wants to know more about the biz, ask away.
Things I've received for FREE from CaG:
Guitar Hero II, III, WT Bundles (X360)
Halo 3 Limited Edition
Dead Space
4000 MS Points

Posted Image

Hit me up for FREE STUFF!
Get a free iPod Touch!

#40 kube00

kube00

Grammar Hammer!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 June 2007 - 09:01 PM

Yea the shop I went today had a ps1 mouse and a SNES mouse. They were $5 a piece. I wasn't really interested. But I did get a mint copy of Pokemon Diamond for the DS for $10. It was marked at $25 but the sign said all games $10. Now that's a deal.

CAG TradeList
Co-Founder of The Gamer's Lounge The Gamer's Lounge: All About video games!
Former EIC of Goozernation.com 

#41 Yaxley

Yaxley

Not the Death Eater

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2007 - 01:25 AM

Except for the one that I mentioned where I got those GC games super cheap, the pawn shops around here over price. There's one that is wanting $15 each for a original Game Boy and Madden NFL '04 for Xbox, WTF?

My only local pawn shop was asking $30 for an original Game Boy. Seriously. That should be a clue why I don't shop there very often.

Plus, it's a family owned store, and ALL the employees smoke like chimneys. The few times I've bought things there, I've gotten things home and the reek like smoke. I've actually had to spray Febreeze on some NES cartirdges to get the smell off of them. Are most pawn shops like this, or do I just have a bad one?

#42 SilverGriever

SilverGriever

Posted 21 June 2007 - 11:14 AM

My only local pawn shop was asking $30 for an original Game Boy. Seriously. That should be a clue why I don't shop there very often.

Plus, it's a family owned store, and ALL the employees smoke like chimneys. The few times I've bought things there, I've gotten things home and the reek like smoke. I've actually had to spray Febreeze on some NES cartirdges to get the smell off of them. Are most pawn shops like this, or do I just have a bad one?

Depends on the area. South of Atlanta around me, I've been in maybe 2 or 3 shops that were actually clean (mine included). There's a few that constanly have some kind of grime of the floor, cobwebs and dust covering everything, Makes me never want to take a look around. Alough no smoke problems as GA is a no smoking in public state.
Things I've received for FREE from CaG:
Guitar Hero II, III, WT Bundles (X360)
Halo 3 Limited Edition
Dead Space
4000 MS Points

Posted Image

Hit me up for FREE STUFF!
Get a free iPod Touch!

#43 camelking6969

camelking6969

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 July 2007 - 03:19 AM

found these this week
scarface $8
mk armegedon$8
rocky balboa dvd $3
mi 3 $3
dave chapelle show season 2 $3, got to say love the wayne brady skit laughed my ass off for ever kept replaying it
xmen trilogy $3
[url=ign.com]

#44 Segasonic01

Segasonic01

Sonic Collector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 July 2007 - 12:15 PM

my pawn shop has MGS (GH, complete) for Ps1 for $10. Should I bite?

#45 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 01 July 2007 - 12:42 PM

OK, how come I can't have a pawn shop around by me selling DVDs for $3, let alone season sets. And those games prices, WTF!!!! My local shops want $12 for 5 year old games, what a rip.

Posted Image

#46 camelking6969

camelking6969

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:01 PM

OK, how come I can't have a pawn shop around by me selling DVDs for $3, let alone season sets. And those games prices, WTF!!!! My local shops want $12 for 5 year old games, what a rip.

lol i have three or 4 i do buisness with andd thats it, i also picked up metal gear solid 3 subsistance for 6 dollars
[url=ign.com]

#47 camelking6969

camelking6969

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:02 PM

my pawn shop has MGS (GH, complete) for Ps1 for $10. Should I bite?

imo i wouldnt sounds a little high to me
[url=ign.com]

#48 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:33 PM

lol i have three or 4 i do buisness with andd thats it, i also picked up metal gear solid 3 subsistance for 6 dollars

LOL The Metal Gear games weren't my cup of tea, but yet I loved sneaking around to get the more gruesome kills in Manhunt. Go figure....

Posted Image

#49 NorthX08

NorthX08

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 July 2007 - 03:50 PM

where i live (cleveland) i dont think there are ANY pawn shops... :(

u guys got some lucky deals :)
espically the Wii and 360 games...
FREE WII!

Posted Image
Didnt get a PS3 for the holidays :cry:

Posted ImagePosted Image

#50 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:38 PM

Yeah, I know all about the official story. My point is you can't go into stores and buy magazines & vids of 17 yo girls flashing their tits. Why? Because it's highly illegal and the people selling them would get MAJOR fines and jail time if they did. That's why it makes absolutely no sense that major stores like EG/GS & Blockbuster are still selling this game if that story was really true.

The only official statement that I've ever seen about the case was made by Top Heavy Studios and was posted on Gamespot. That combined with the fact that the 17 yo was *still* included on the DVD re-release is why I call bullshit on this story.

http://www.austinchr...?oid=oid:260258

The Austin Chronicle is a reputable source.

"According to court filings, [the jailbailt] was waiting in line to enter Tequila Frog's bar on March 11, 2003, when she saw the nearby stage. Armed with a fake California ID she'd bought in Dallas and a "newly enhanced buxom" (as misnamed in court papers, presumably for "bosom") given to her by her parents as a Christmas present the year before..."

I weep for America.

#51 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 04 July 2007 - 02:54 AM

LOL dfg

I can just imagine that conversation.

Mom + dad: honey, what do you want for christmas this year? a new car? a new (insert other possible want here)........?

underage liarpants: no, i want a boob job and a fake id.....

mom + dad: ok dear, whatever you want, you know we can't say NO to you...

Posted Image

#52 mrmafia33

mrmafia33

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:51 AM

Damn, I had no idea you could get good deals on games. I might have to check one out.

#53 davo1224

davo1224

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:54 AM

One of mine had Crazy Taxi (GC) for $10 :roll:

#54 camelking6969

camelking6969

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:03 AM

picked up lego star wars for xbox 7 dollars was for a friend was happy
[url=ign.com]

#55 masterofdarkness

masterofdarkness

Hey you Pikachu!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:22 AM

I hate all you people, I live near no pawn shops :'(

#56 briansraregames

briansraregames

Yay! We didn't lose 100!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:28 AM

Picked up a nice little item today at a local pawn. Got a sealed Atelier Iris 2 w/strat guide for $12 OTD.
"God would never let me be successful; he'd kill me first. He'd never let me be happy." - George Costanza

#57 DX

DX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:47 AM

T2 on BluRay for $10. Mint and complete.

#58 BearMan23

BearMan23

Posted 07 July 2007 - 11:06 PM

King of Fighters 00/01 & 02/03, $10 bucks a piece. Not too bad

#59 briansraregames

briansraregames

Yay! We didn't lose 100!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2007 - 11:40 PM

Scored at another pawn today:

Final Fantasy VII (x3, 1 GH, 2 Black Labels, all complete)
Dot Hack Part 4 Quarantine CIB w/DVD
Koudelka PS1 CIB

Total: $84.80
"God would never let me be successful; he'd kill me first. He'd never let me be happy." - George Costanza

#60 tangytangerine

tangytangerine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:09 PM

I've gotten a few deals from pawn shops.

Skies of Arcadia Legends- $9.99
Tales of Symphonia- $4.99
Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee- $4.99

Sure beats the prices Gamestop has for those games.

Well, I can pretty much avoid all pawn shops in my area now including this one I mentioned now. Seems they think they can make big money on last gen games now. Here's some of their jacked up prices now:

Rainbow Six 3(Xbox)- $14.99
Dead or Alive 2 Ultimate(Xbox)- $24.99

Needless to say, I'm avoiding that place now too.