Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Tales from the Pawn Shop(s)!

• Please log in to reply
2072 replies to this topic

#1081 VA703

VA703

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:48 AM

The other day I got Silent Hill PS1(Black Label), Parasite Eve Greatest Hits, Abe's Odyssee, Syphon Filter, Tekken, Tomb Raider, and a Gamecube all for $20 at a yard sale.

I have about 3 pawn shops near me but I think they check the prices for all their games online so there is no fooling them =(.

#1082 kube00

kube00

Keeping in Cheap since 2005

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2009 - 01:12 AM

Gradius V for ps2 $3 disc only
Wanted for the 360 $15

CAG TradeList
Co-Founder of The Gamer's Lounge The Gamer's Lounge: All About video games!
Former EIC of Goozernation.com 

#1083 Pavel6969

Pavel6969

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2009 - 01:03 PM

I have about 3 pawn shops near me but I think they check the prices for all their games online so there is no fooling them =(.

I'm in the same boat as you. My local pawn shop is filled with techies, they know the true values of everything, never get any good deals there.

#1084 Arakias

Arakias

Inferior Potassium

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2009 - 01:21 PM

PS2: (used complete, pretty to very good shape)
Tales of the Abyss
Haunting Ground
FF XI Vana'diel 2008
Zone of the Enders (w/o MGS demo)
Network Adapter

Gamecube platinum Wavebird (no receiver)

all for 47 yesterday

#1085 Chairman_LMAO

Chairman_LMAO

The Talent

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:30 PM

I've never found a copy of ZOE in the wild that still had the MGS2 demo. Didn't it have some extra features that were not in the full game?

#1086 lolwut?

lolwut?

Thank you BasedGod

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2009 - 10:52 PM

Bump this shit up! I forgot to post yesterday because I didn't see the thread.

:ps3: Dead Space Marked $25
:ps3: MLB 09: The Show Marked $45

PAID: $60

I've been meaning to play Dead Space, and I've wanted to pick up the Show since it came out, so it seemed like a no-brainer. Games have some minor shelf wear on the cases, but overall they are both in great condition.

#1087 Coper3000

Coper3000

Gettin' Old.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2009 - 02:43 AM

Great finds lolwut?. I went to a few pawn shops yesterday and had a decent haul:

$19.99- 1 wireless Xbox 360 controller w/charger, battery pack
$9.99- 1 wireless Xbox 360 controller w/charger, battery pack
$1.99- Marvel VS Capcom 2 (dreamcast-disc only)
$4.99- Phantasy Star Online 1 & 2 (GameCube)

Not much, but was happy with the price of the games.

#1088 CYRiX

CYRiX

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:09 AM

So what'cha gonna do with that MvC2? I would love it.
I decided against buying some things I bidded on a lowball auction. Didn't know it'd be a big problem. Sue me.

#1089 Guest_eastshore4_*

Guest_eastshore4_*

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:28 PM

Last Wednesday:

GTA IV (360) $10
Valhalla Knights 2 $10
Valk Profile Lenneth *UMD ONLY* $10

There was a rather irate fellow at that store with a copy of prototype in hand... I wanted to stick around and see if he was selling it to them so I could maybe pick it up on the rebound, but he just wanted to put it up for pawn. Considering they sell their 360 games for no more than $10-15, I could only imagine he wouldn't be too happy with the monetary figure they probably gave him.

Last Saturday:

Ratchet and Clank Size Matters (PS2) - $3
Bully - $3
Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland - $3
Metal Slug Anthology (Wii) - $12
Time Crisis 2 *CIB w/ Guncon 2* PLUS TC1 w/ Guncon1 - $15
Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis (PS2) - $5
Duke Nukem 64 - $5
Space Station Silicon Valley - $5
Snowboard Kids - $5

The N64 games were a pretty nice haul IMO, BUT it could've been way better. They had a bunch of AAA N64 games there too; Yoshi's Island, Kirby, Mario Party 1 etc. but they were all priced at like $19 each(Mario Party was $30 for cyring out loud... and this is the same pawn that sold me FF7 and Tomba for $5 each a couple weeks ago!). Even with a discount they were asking way too much so I had to pass.

Oh and just a quick update to my last post... of the two people that promised they would hook me up with free games only the FYE employee came through. There was some really generic pinball games and such in there but there was also a sealed copy of Spongebob Supersponge and complete copies of Spyro 1 & 2, plus you can't go wrong with free!

#1090 Roufuss

Roufuss

is now a coupon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:22 AM

Just grabbed Motorstorm: Pacific Rift - $13

Flawless condition, never been touched, came with everything. In past weeks, at the same pawn shop, I've managed to grab -

Skate 2 (PS3) - $13
Rise of the Argonauts (PS3) - $10
Incredible Hulk (PS3) - $10
Dark Knight Blu-Ray - $10
DMC 3 SE - $5

Some other stuff I can't remember - the stuff I passed on that I already had was even better.. Uncharted for $7, Resistance 2 for $13, Prince of Persia PS3 for $12 before it got cheap.

I'm fairly certain, without a shadow of a doubt, that the games are being stolen from a nearby store and dumped at the pawn shop... because they had *multiple* copies of Pacific Rift when I went, always multiple copies of all the big PS3 games, but shit selection for everything else (and a ton of Wii shovelware... the kind they don't keep locked up at stores). But don't ask, don't tell, I suppose. A shame I no longer have a reason to go into the area now since I moved.. not driving 45 minutes just for a good deal that may or may not be there since I don't work next store anymore, haha. I kept hoping eventually they would get in a Little Big Planet, because at one point or another every single PS3 major release has filtered through this place multiple times.. but no luck.

At a different pawn shop, I managed to get Halo for $4, and Dragon Quest VIII for $4... both in perfect, complete condtion.

Tampa is the best <3

Edited by Roufuss, 24 June 2009 - 07:34 AM.

I called my lady friend last night and said my buddy had to beat off on my chest, she is kinda pissed at me, but it was the best idea I had all night, and I stand by it.

Posted Image

#1091 lolwut?

lolwut?

Thank you BasedGod

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:50 AM

Great finds lolwut?. I went to a few pawn shops yesterday and had a decent haul:

$19.99- 1 wireless Xbox 360 controller w/charger, battery pack
$9.99- 1 wireless Xbox 360 controller w/charger, battery pack
$1.99- Marvel VS Capcom 2 (dreamcast-disc only)
$4.99- Phantasy Star Online 1 & 2 (GameCube)

Not much, but was happy with the price of the games.

Thanks. You got those controllers for sweet prices.

Most pawns usually suck ass around here, or they overprice everything. That one has been good to me though, I also picked up Skate 2 on PS3 and one of the Harry Potter movies on Blu sealed for $45.

#1092 thakoolkid

thakoolkid

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:49 PM

Best deals i ever got was at a neighborhood garage sale an i picked up final fantasy 7 for ps1 black label for (Drum Roll) A $1!!:hot:
I almost had a panic attack just seeing it and then after asking the dude how much oh lord i almost died:whee:
Posted & Sold On The Bay For $81.25 :D
God Is Good!!

#1093 Coper3000

Coper3000

Gettin' Old.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:38 PM

Thanks. You got those controllers for sweet prices.

Most pawns usually suck ass around here, or they overprice everything. That one has been good to me though, I also picked up Skate 2 on PS3 and one of the Harry Potter movies on Blu sealed for $45.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I used to only check EZ Pawn, but tried one that used to have overpriced games, and found they had finally lowered their prices, and they were also willing to bargain, at least one guy who I think was a new employee, haha.

#1094 Sinnbox

Sinnbox

Garage-sale/Thrift KING!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:57 AM

Yeah, I know what you mean. I used to only check EZ Pawn, but tried one that used to have overpriced games, and found they had finally lowered their prices, and they were also willing to bargain, at least one guy who I think was a new employee, haha.

EZ Pawn around here is a joke, an employee grabs all the games worth more than they sell them for.

In other news my local pawn got shut down by the ATF as I mentioned several weeks ago, now they are back open with out a pawn liscense, bascily just a high class buy sell trade place. sadly the owner had to let the old manager go because they were both in trouble with the ATF so he hired a new guy that is spot on with games, I havent found anything good since he started, and he told me that he has been taking alot of games home, thankfully he seems to only be into the 360 and PS2.

#1095 Roufuss

Roufuss

is now a coupon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2009 - 05:47 AM

This is the worst, to me... it seems as soon as management changes at these pawns, prices either get a) extremely overpriced or b) incredibly underpriced.

One pawn here, every 1 or 2 months, fluctuates between the two - one month Mario Kart Wii, without the wheel, was $45 used... the next month, every game across the board was $10 - $15.

Went in recently, now they are back to $30 - $40 pricing for games.

I called my lady friend last night and said my buddy had to beat off on my chest, she is kinda pissed at me, but it was the best idea I had all night, and I stand by it.

Posted Image

#1096 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:36 PM

Last night I picked up FF VII, Persona 2, Kartia, and Mega Man Legends 2 for $15. I was pretty happy with that. Kartia was a bonus, as it was in the Persona 2 case. :) No manuals, and MML2 and Kartia are disc only, but still a good haul I think.

#1097 Sinnbox

Sinnbox

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:10 AM

...guess what I found at my pawn shop today??? around 100 PS3 controllers, tons of disc only PS3 games, tons of PSP mem cards, and alot more....can anyone say stolen?????

#1098 Sinnbox

Sinnbox

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:57 PM

not quite gaming related, but I got the Firefly series today for $10.70 after tax and found the serenity DVD shoved in the package.

#1099 maccabee72

maccabee72

Hook 'em

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:30 PM

Nice find in one of my local pawn shops (EZ Pawn) today:

Call of Duty 4 (360) - $9.99
Zelda: Twilight Princess (GCN) - $4.99

Both mint and complete!
Posted Image

#1100 Doomstink

Doomstink

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:30 PM

Found a lot at Pawn Shops near Camp Lejune:

Star Ocean: The Last Hope (360) - $15.00
Ghostbusters (GEN) - $4.00
Michael Jackson's Moonwalker (GEN) - $7.00
Xenosaga Sealed (PS2) - $5.00
Project Justice (DC) - $4.50

I found some more, but those were the standouts.

#1101 Segasonic01

Segasonic01

Sonic Collector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:25 AM

^ nice. very nice. especially project justice, i've been lookin everywhere for a complete one

#1102 Guest_eastshore4_*

Guest_eastshore4_*

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:44 PM

I stopped by a "pawn shop" that I don't get around to visiting very much yesterday. I say "pawn shop" because although they do pawn stuff it's more of a jewelry store, and a good bit more classier(scented candles abound) than your average pawn shop. You probably wouldn't be surprised to hear that the owners are of the wine and cheese variety and can sometimes be a bit snoody.

Anyways, I get there and start flipping through some PSX games. A clerk comes up to me and says "weren't you just here yesterday?" "Umm... no?" "Oh, I must be thinking of someone else. There was this guy that came in yesterday and was really excited because they found some game we had...I think it was called Final Destination 7."

Ahh shucks. I did get Star Gladiator for $5 though for what it's worth. At another pawn I also managed to snag Oblivion GOTY(which was wrapped together with a standalone copy of Shivering Isles...?) for $15.

#1103 Doomstink

Doomstink

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:42 PM

I stopped by a "pawn shop" that I don't get around to visiting very much yesterday. I say "pawn shop" because although they do pawn stuff it's more of a jewelry store, and a good bit more classier(scented candles abound) than your average pawn shop. You probably wouldn't be surprised to hear that the owners are of the wine and cheese variety and can sometimes be a bit snoody.

Anyways, I get there and start flipping through some PSX games. A clerk comes up to me and says "weren't you just here yesterday?" "Umm... no?" "Oh, I must be thinking of someone else. There was this guy that came in yesterday and was really excited because they found some game we had...I think it was called Final Destination 7."

Ahh shucks. I did get Star Gladiator for $5 though for what it's worth. At another pawn I also managed to snag Oblivion GOTY(which was wrapped together with a standalone copy of Shivering Isles...?) for $15.

Don't worry FF7 is only worth about $30 now thanks to the PSN re-release. It's not a colossal rarity anymore.

#1104 RobMinhas

RobMinhas

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2009 - 08:16 PM

there was a yard sale down the street from the pawn shop and i got ff7, green label for 25 cents, went to the pawn shop with a bunch of techies, had them look it up, they gave me 35 for it =) i then got wolverine origins for the ps3 for 15 bucks

#1105 Ye0ldmario

Ye0ldmario

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2009 - 08:34 PM

there was a yard sale down the street from the pawn shop and i got ff7, green label for 25 cents, went to the pawn shop with a bunch of techies, had them look it up, they gave me 35 for it =) i then got wolverine origins for the ps3 for 15 bucks

there ya go :applause:
Posted Image

#1106 Doomstink

Doomstink

Posted 04 July 2009 - 03:33 AM

Sounds like a pawn shop that is going to go out of business very quickly. FFVII is barely even worth $30 as a black label these days. GH copies are worth even less. There is no way that pawn shop will ever make money off of that.

#1107 phoenix529

phoenix529

...for Science.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 July 2009 - 05:07 AM

I just entered the world of hardcore console collecting, and my local PS sold me a XaviXPort for $20.

Also grabbed BurgerTime and Dr. Mario for NES, and Toy Commander for Sega DC for$3 each. I love my PS.

#1108 AppleQueso

AppleQueso

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:42 AM

Picked up Devil May Cry 1-3, Final Fantasy XII, Shadow of the Colossus, Armored Core 2, and Clock Tower 3 today for $42 total. Don't think I did too bad for myself.

#1109 msu89dawgs

msu89dawgs

Are you threatening me?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:48 AM

Got a complete, excellent condition Little BigPlanet from a local pawn shop for $10 on Monday. It was marked at $15.95, but when I went to pay with my debit card, the guy at the cash register asked me if had $10 cash. I didn't, so I drove across the street to an ATM and got the cash. I had been looking for LBP for awhile, but was determined to not pay more than $20 for it.

iconbluraypng.png - 398
DVD - 159

#1110 Chairman_LMAO

Chairman_LMAO

The Talent

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:54 AM

I just entered the world of hardcore console collecting, and my local PS sold me a XaviXPort for $20.

I had to look up what the hell that was, and I'm still not sure. The Wikipedia page is mostly in Russian.