Super Stardust HD - Gen Discussion & Info

Zoglog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
well ok 1 review, but it got a great score. NM found another

Eurogamer: 9/10
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=77354

Super Stardust HD isn't quite perfect though. Like many of the PlayStation Store games, its online options are limited to mere leaderboards - great for a score-based game like this, but still someway off the online multiplayer gameplay we've come to expect - cooperative gameplay with two players on a single console is supported and it's a tantalising glimpse at what could've been. The only other slight disappointment is in the audio. Considering the explosive force the visuals convey, the sound effects could've been a bit more representative of the onscreen Armageddon your eyes are privy to. The music is a little lacklustre too - definitely reminiscent the game's Amiga demo scene roots, to the point where I was expecting a scrolling message with "greetz" to appear at some point.

In every other respect, Super Stardust HD is an absolute star, the jewel in the crown of the PlayStation Store and quite possibly the best purists' shooter to appear on console since the legendary Geometry Wars.

IGN AU: 8.5/10

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/797/797913p1.html

If this game is 5-8$ I am definetaly buying. This is such a hugely anticipated game for as for some reason I am really into simple games like that right now.

I've been thinking of picking this one up as well. Really short quick games are really appealing to me right now as well.

$5 to $8 bucks would be fine by me.

holy crap, this game this game is awesome! If you like geometry wars on the 360, you'll like this game.

That is not to say this is a geowars clone because it has a completely different feel. Get this, there are boss battles. Well I just faced the first one so I'm assuming there are more for each planet. So far I only unlocked the second one.

Also right now, I'm 86th on the leaderboard, but this game is so addicting I want to rank much higher.

can't wait to play, but my DWG download is crawling. and this is 300mb as well, but hopefully it'll go faster.

It took me quite a while to download it as well, but it's well worth it. It's a great game for $8 bucks.

Like shaun said, it's similar to Geometry Wars, but there are some nice differences.

1. Shields.
2. You don't lose your weapon powerups when you die.
3. Boss Battles
4. Co-op mode on your PS3. (If they add online co-op, that would rule.)

I only put about 20 minutes into it, but I love it. Well worth the money spent.

I bought the game and I was surprised how much fun it is! The action is very relentless and fun. I was worried about getting the game without trying a demo, but I'm glad I did. It is easily worth $8.

Amazing indeed. After it finally finished downloading, I thought it was a great value for $8... plus it's VERY pretty... a bit less abstract than say, Geometry Wars, but still just as beautiful.

I'll be wasting quite a bit of time this weekend with this game. :)

Fun. As. Hell. Now they just need an addon for online co-op and we'd be set. New planets wouldn't hurt either.

And woot, ranked 4th on Nemain in Planet Mode. Going to have to try for higher.

Very hard... I have finished one lousy "planet" piece... got right to the next one and was promptly obliterated. :)

This is one game mastery will take while on.... that's good... and for $8 it makes it a steal. :)

I love how there are 5 planets instead of the whole game being one huge stage. one thing I dislike about Geometry Wars is that it takes forever to pass milestones since you can't practice at the level you are stuck on and have to spend all that time just getting back to it, only to die quickly.

[quote name='psunami']Whew. Just passed Apossum on the leaderboard. My eyes are hurting....[/QUOTE]

get back to it, I just beat you by 5.5 million :p

anyone else beat the 5th planet yet? You start over in hard mode, but it doesn't appear to be selectable after you die...does it just overwrite everything completely or what?

My first instinct playing was that it had potential, but I wasn't seeing much to get excited about. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't see any difference between the asteroid colors, either.

Then I got to the second planet, and figured out what went wrong. :)

Seriously, though, EXCELLENT marketplace game. I don't regret buying it for a second. I'm not a fan of the original Asteroids game, but this whole "different beams for different asteroids" gameplay is delicious.

now i have a problem with gamesharing
apparently i bought the game on one of my ps3, then log myself off of that one, go to my other ps3 and log on my playstation network account, only to find out that the option to buy superstardust the game is nowhere to be found
any help regarding this problem would be greatly appreciated
ps: i ll go read the gamesharing thread now but just in case it doesnt help.....
:(

[quote name='Skexis']My first instinct playing was that it had potential, but I wasn't seeing much to get excited about. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't see any difference between the asteroid colors, either.

Then I got to the second planet, and figured out what went wrong. :)

Seriously, though, EXCELLENT marketplace game. I don't regret buying it for a second. I'm not a fan of the original Asteroids game, but this whole "different beams for different asteroids" gameplay is delicious.[/QUOTE]

haha, same here. I thought the rocks were gold and when the light hit them in a certain way they looked like ice....but then I realized they were all plain rock.

enemies also have strengths and weaknesses to the beams.

those 3D Hubble telescope backgrounds are amazing in HD!!!

[quote name='phutu']now i have a problem with gamesharing
apparently i bought the game on one of my ps3, then log myself off of that one, go to my other ps3 and log on my playstation network account, only to find out that the option to buy superstardust the game is nowhere to be found
ps: i ll go read the gamesharing thread now but just in case it doesnt help.....
:([/QUOTE]

the games I've bought don't show up in the store anymore...maybe it has something to do with that? if you have an external HDD, you might be able to transfer it that way

[quote name='phutu']now i have a problem with gamesharing
:([/QUOTE]
Anything you download disappears from the regular store. You need hit the "download list" button in the top right corner of the store. You should find it there.

[quote name='Apossum']anyone else beat the 5th planet yet? You start over in hard mode, but it doesn't appear to be selectable after you die...does it just overwrite everything completely or what?[/quote]

In Arcade? I've only played it once and died on the last planet. Attempting to take out the boss in a timely matter on Planet 4 is difficult and wastes most of my lives. -_-

I think I've got the hang on how to score well. Now I just need to refine my tactic by using boost more often than once in a blue moon. I'll go back and re-beat Planet 5 without dieing once and then go back and mess with Arcade.

SSD HD is very awesome. It is the PSN killer Ap. I was worried when I bought it without being able to try a demo, but Im so glad I did :D

I thought I'd throw my two cents in with some tips and such if anyone cares:
  • Use boost to escape from tight spots instead of bombs. This can be done with the L2 button and the icon in the bottom left of your screen indicated if you're able to boost or not. The blue color indicates how full it is and can only be used once full.
  • If you don't have a shield and an extra ship box drops, don't pick it up and let it turn in to a shield. A shield is essentially the same thing except that you don't lose your multipliers.
  • When going to point boxes, you should try and line them up to boost over as many as possible in one go. The first one you pickup while boosting will be x2 points, the second will be x3, and so on.
  • Weapon boxes will change approximately 5 times (not totally sure). They all change in the same order so if you don't need the weapon there, wait for it to change. Don't wait too long or else it will turn into a points box.
  • When you hit 100% on a particular weapon, the next weapon box you pickup for that weapon will temporarily give you 200% and drastically increase the rate of which you fire. If you feel you do not need it, let it turn into a points box for extra points.
  • On the first three planets you want to focus on upgrading your Rock Crusher (on Lave), then Gold Melter (on Coventina), and finally Ice Splitter (on Nemain). The last two planets are your choice as they really cover all three asteroid types.
  • Use bombs wisely to kill as many enemies as possible. I find it works great on the small ice enemies. By killing more at once, you'll get more bonus points.
  • Use Gold Melter on the bomb carriers as it destroys them very fast. Otherwise you need to use one of the other two weapons to push the bomb boxes out of the side holders to force it to obtain the bombs and force it to explode.
  • Speed. Kill enemies first ignoring the meteors. This will boost you up in points significantly by giving you a timer bonus that is then multiplied by your multiplier and can easily give millions of points.
  • Boost can be used to help with killing enemies, destroying asteroids, and going through bosses for quick rear-side access. This is especially useful with bosses on planets 2, 4, and 5.
  • Like Apossum mentioned earlier, if you beat the final planet on Arcade mode, you will start over on Hard Mode. This increases the speed of things by a noticable amount. If you manage to beat Hard Mode then you will supposedly (not confirmed) hit Elite Mode which is even faster. The only way to get to these modes is by beating the final level in Arcade mode which you can start on once you unlock the planet.
  • Those little ice enemies seem to work best with a wide area Rock Crusher compared to the other two weapons in my opinion.
  • The centipedes I think die best with the Gold Melter as it's mainly about hitting them in the head and the Melter locks on. However this causes them to get bigger and move a little faster before they die, so you've been warned.
  • If you're cornered move in the direction that you're shooting. This will more likely than not lead you to freedom if you can't use boost and don't want to or just plain don't have any bombs. It helps immensely if you're using the weapon that the asteroids are weak against. (Ice Splitter is horrid against Gold Asteroids)
  • Pray to your gaming god that it's merciful and gives you plenty of bombs, shields, and dumb luck.
  • When using Gold Melter, it is best to not just use it straight in front of you. What is ment by that is when you're firing at a fairly large gold asteroid or a bunch of small gold asteroids, it is best to fan out your firing in a snake-like motion. This helps immensely on getting rid of gold asteroids.
  • While using Ice Splitter it is best to keep in mind that this weapon has a extremely long range when firing. This means if you're going for a score run you will need to pay attention if you hit any green asteroids so you don't lose any point boxes by not noticing them. It's also very good for hitting enemies at a safe distance, such as those pesky mines (mainly the black ones) that lock on to you when you get within a certain range.
  • When you see incoming asteroids with numbers blow them, focus on removing those asteroids. If you manage to get all the numbers, you will get a very large green bonus asteroid. Hitting it at very close range as soon as it lands with the Rock Crusher will cause it to instantly blow up without breaking into smaller chunks revealing a very large cache of points boxes and maybe some other boxes too.
  • The boss on Planet 4 is probably the toughest boss fight in the game. At least to me it is. Instead of going for quick time and getting yourself idiotically killed periodically during the fight, focus on just one at a time. You should be able to cause the firing of missles twice on one before the second starts firing missles.
  • Always, always, be on the move. This is something that you should already be doing with the only exception being various spots while fighting Boss 2 and 4. It's pretty much essential to get a high score and to help stay alive. Should also help improve your reaction time and coordination for this game and others similar to it.
  • Boss 2 & 4 can be delt with fairly easily if you're agile enough. When it first lands fire into its eye while dodging all the bullets (or whatever they are) until he turns around. Then boost through the boss to the otherside and get close to him while firing. He'll close his arms but stay inside and you should keep firing at him until he opens them and switches sides again. Rinse and repeat once more to finish him off. (This can be dangerous if you're not good with small movements and take some practice)
  • Boss 5 can be delt with very easily and quickly. As a matter afact, it's the easiest boss in the game... If you know what you're doing. The special trick is to either have three bombs on you or know how to boost with decent aim. Basically when the boss brings up the big object from the surface to where you are, you can either bomb it to instantly destroy all the 'targets' or boost through it to destroy all of the 'targets'. Just do it three times and the boss should be easily done for.
EDIT: I edited in the ones of which I added on page 3 of this thread.
EDIT 2: I edited in the two boss strategies I posted on page 4 of this thread.

[quote name='Draekon']I thought I'd throw my two cents in with some tips and such if anyone cares.

1) Use boost to escape from tight spots instead of bombs. This can be done with the L2 button and the icon in the bottom left of your screen indicated if you're able to boost or not. The blue color indicates how full it is and can only be used once full.

2) If you don't have a shield and an extra ship box drops, don't pick it up and let it turn in to a shield. A shield is essentially the same thing except that you don't lose your multipliers.

3) When going to point boxes, you should try and line them up to boost over as many as possible in one go. The first one you pickup while boosting will be x2 points, the second will be x3, and so on.

4) Weapon boxes will change approximately 5 times (not totally sure). They all change in the same order so if you don't need the weapon there, wait for it to change. Don't wait too long or else it will turn into a points box.

5) When you hit 100% on a particular weapon, the next weapon box you pickup for that weapon will temporarily give you 200% and drastically increase the rate of which you fire. If you feel you do not need it, let it turn into a points box for extra points.

6) On the first three planets you want to focus on upgrading your Rock Crusher (on Lave), then Gold Melter (on Coventina), and finally Ice Splitter (on Nemain). The last two planets are your choice as they really cover all three asteroid types.

7) Use bombs wisely to kill as many enemies as possible. I find it works great on the small ice enemies. By killing more at once, you'll get more bonus points.

8) Use Gold Melter on the bomb carriers as it destroys them very fast. Otherwise you need to use one of the other two weapons to push the bomb boxes out of the side holders to force it to obtain the bombs and force it to explode.

9) Speed. Kill enemies first ignoring the meteors. This will boost you up in points significantly by giving you a timer bonus that is then multiplied by your multiplier and can easily give millions of points.

10) Boost can be used to help with killing enemies, destroying asteroids, and going through bosses for quick rear-side access. This is especially useful with bosses on planets 2, 4, and 5.

11) Like Apossum mentioned earlier, if you beat the final planet on Arcade mode, you will start over on Hard Mode. This increases the speed of things by a noticable amount. If you manage to beat Hard Mode then you will supposedly (not confirmed) hit Elite Mode which is even faster. The only way to get to these modes is by beating the final level in Arcade mode which you can start on once you unlock the planet.

12) Those little ice enemies seem to work best with a wide area Rock Crusher compared to the other two weapons in my opinion.

13) The centipedes I think die best with the Gold Melter as it's mainly about hitting them in the head and the Melter locks on. However this causes them to get bigger and move a little faster before they die, so you've been warned.

14) If you're cornered move in the direction that you're shooting. This will more likely than not lead you to freedom if you can't use boost and don't want to or just plain don't have any bombs. It helps immensely if you're using the weapon that the asteroids are weak against. (Ice Splitter is horrid against Gold Asteroids)

15) Pray to your gaming god that it's merciful and gives you plenty of bombs, shields, and dumb luck.[/QUOTE]

Great tips, thanks for sharing...now back to work for me (still stuck on the 2nd planet).

[quote name='Draekon']I thought I'd throw my two cents in with some tips and such if anyone cares.

1) Use boost to escape from tight spots instead of bombs. This can be done with the L2 button and the icon in the bottom left of your screen indicated if you're able to boost or not. The blue color indicates how full it is and can only be used once full.

2) If you don't have a shield and an extra ship box drops, don't pick it up and let it turn in to a shield. A shield is essentially the same thing except that you don't lose your multipliers.

3) When going to point boxes, you should try and line them up to boost over as many as possible in one go. The first one you pickup while boosting will be x2 points, the second will be x3, and so on.

4) Weapon boxes will change approximately 5 times (not totally sure). They all change in the same order so if you don't need the weapon there, wait for it to change. Don't wait too long or else it will turn into a points box.

5) When you hit 100% on a particular weapon, the next weapon box you pickup for that weapon will temporarily give you 200% and drastically increase the rate of which you fire. If you feel you do not need it, let it turn into a points box for extra points.

6) On the first three planets you want to focus on upgrading your Rock Crusher (on Lave), then Gold Melter (on Coventina), and finally Ice Splitter (on Nemain). The last two planets are your choice as they really cover all three asteroid types.

7) Use bombs wisely to kill as many enemies as possible. I find it works great on the small ice enemies. By killing more at once, you'll get more bonus points.

8) Use Gold Melter on the bomb carriers as it destroys them very fast. Otherwise you need to use one of the other two weapons to push the bomb boxes out of the side holders to force it to obtain the bombs and force it to explode.

9) Speed. Kill enemies first ignoring the meteors. This will boost you up in points significantly by giving you a timer bonus that is then multiplied by your multiplier and can easily give millions of points.

10) Boost can be used to help with killing enemies, destroying asteroids, and going through bosses for quick rear-side access. This is especially useful with bosses on planets 2, 4, and 5.

11) Like Apossum mentioned earlier, if you beat the final planet on Arcade mode, you will start over on Hard Mode. This increases the speed of things by a noticable amount. If you manage to beat Hard Mode then you will supposedly (not confirmed) hit Elite Mode which is even faster. The only way to get to these modes is by beating the final level in Arcade mode which you can start on once you unlock the planet.

12) Those little ice enemies seem to work best with a wide area Rock Crusher compared to the other two weapons in my opinion.

13) The centipedes I think die best with the Gold Melter as it's mainly about hitting them in the head and the Melter locks on. However this causes them to get bigger and move a little faster before they die, so you've been warned.

14) If you're cornered move in the direction that you're shooting. This will more likely than not lead you to freedom if you can't use boost and don't want to or just plain don't have any bombs. It helps immensely if you're using the weapon that the asteroids are weak against. (Ice Splitter is horrid against Gold Asteroids)

15) Pray to your gaming god that it's merciful and gives you plenty of bombs, shields, and dumb luck.[/quote]

Awesome Guide, thanks :applause:

awesome guide. I didn't know about this boost either. This changes everything :)

one thing

I find it's better to use ice shots since they will easily kamikaze into you if you use the gold melter within a couple of inches of them...it also kills them faster.

the only tip I have is that you can create a shield around you with the gold melter by spinning the right analog stick really fast. It's kind of useless but works well for missile firing bosses like the 2nd (and 4th.)

I bought this game on Wombat's recommendation...it's quite good. Better than Geometry Wars, IMHO. I was disappointed there was no online play (especially after seeing the online users agreement), but still, the game is solid arcade fun.

Cheapy, seeing the online agreement makes me think that there may be an online component coming... or at least that's my hope. Online co-op for this game would make it one of the best marketplace type games to date.

fwiw, here's my review. my only problems were with the lame bosses and lack of a difficulty option, but I don't care so much when I consider what's in the game, so I gave it a 10. Online co-op would be alright, but I still don't feel it's something worth taking points off for if it's not there.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143220

[quote name='psunami']Cheapy, seeing the online agreement makes me think that there may be an online component coming... or at least that's my hope. Online co-op for this game would make it one of the best marketplace type games to date.[/quote]

They may add one in the future like Blast Factor did. the only downside is that the Multiplayer add on will probably cost more money.

thank you much U_gamerX, i just downloaded it in my 2nd ps and my friend's too (he better takes me out to dinner lol) was away for the weekend now i'm gonna get back to conquering the 5 levels of hard-ass planets (thanks for the guide too

I added in a few to my list that I had forgot yesterday:

• When using Gold Melter, it is best to not just use it straight in front of you. What is ment by that is when you're firing at a fairly large gold asteroid or a bunch of small gold asteroids, it is best to fan out your firing in a snake-like motion. This helps immensely on getting rid of gold asteroids.
  • While using Ice Splitter it is best to keep in mind that this weapon has a extremely long range when firing. This means if you're going for a score run you will need to pay attention if you hit any green asteroids so you don't lose any point boxes by not noticing them. It's also very good for hitting enemies at a safe distance, such as those pesky mines (mainly the black ones) that lock on to you when you get within a certain range.
  • When you see incoming asteroids with numbers blow them, focus on removing those asteroids. If you manage to get all the numbers, you will get a very large green bonus asteroid. Hitting it at very close range as soon as it lands with the Rock Crusher will cause it to instantly blow up without breaking into smaller chunks revealing a very large cache of points boxes and maybe some other boxes too.
  • The boss on Planet 4 is probably the toughest boss fight in the game. At least to me it is. Instead of going for quick time and getting yourself idiotically killed periodically during the fight, focus on just one at a time. You should be able to cause the firing of missles twice on one before the second starts firing missles.
  • Always, always, be on the move. This is something that you should already be doing with the only exception being various spots while fighting Boss 2 and 4. It's pretty much essential to get a high score and to help stay alive. Should also help improve your reaction time and coordination for this game and others similar to it.

thanks for the awesome tips! I gotta learn to use the boost more.

Man last night on stage 4 i kept dying right before each phase ended, so was only gettin 1x multiplier :( Probably would've broken 25m which would put me maybe around...the ealry 500's rank lol. Oh well i beat my friend for now so it's all good :D

I just had a chance to play Geo Wars for the first time today. Awesome game, and playing that makes me want to get this game.

Quick question: Does this game work in 1080i? I ask because I am one of the few who has a TV that doesn't display 720p, and some games, as a result, downscale to 480p because of it.

[quote name='dpatel']Quick question: Does this game work in 1080i? I ask because I am one of the few who has a TV that doesn't display 720p, and some games, as a result, downscale to 480p because of it.[/quote]

Yes it does play in 1080i.

Grrrr...

I just bought it and now I have ZERO time to play it. Just went through arcade once and ended up #15678 or somewhere around there XD

bread's done
Back