Starcraft Game Arrangement Thread. Also, buy House of the Dead: Overkill

The Crotch

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Alright, so there are two real purposes for this thread now: to encourage Raymond and Darren to finish their fucking games, and to arrange new games. Since the old list(s) no longer exist, please post your Bnet name somewhere in this thread. No, I don't care if it's the exact same as your CAG name, or if we play together regularly. Just do it.

CAG/Bnet
The Crotch/The_Crotch
Strell/HotMarioStrell
GAMERMASTERMAN/gamermasterman
rperez1025/fatty77
byrdo/a.wentz (I think - it's been a long time)
Pure Apathy/PureApathy

Etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
looks good the_crotch. thanks for putting all this together. i'm looking forward to some good matches in the near future. mike and i still want a rematch between you and suko ;)

If we're going with the map pack idea then I'll need some time to play them first. Let's go ahead and decide on 4 - 6 maps so someone can upload them. Please, no money maps or BGH or anything like that.

I would like to recommend Lost Temple, Arcadia, Python, and Luna and maaaaaybe Longinus, Inferno, and Ride of the Valkyries

mike's going to play in this tournament. my other friend adolfo is interested as well. i don't have his sc name at the moment though.

k it's been updated with new version of PA. You should go ahead and download it again Crotch since I renamed the map for consistency

Also, I say the map pool should be like four to six maps, or maybe even three maps since the tourney might be best out of three and then we could just play those three maps and have a set "game 3 map" to avoid deciding which maps to play during a round. Or like have what Crotch mentioned and have different maps in different rounds

So just say what maps y'all like and I'll see what the general consensus is on the maps, or if there are any more that you strongly recommend

Also, as far as the tourney is concerned, it might be too early to ask, but, should it be like single elimination or double elimination or round robin or what?

Reverse Temple is almost exactly like Lost Temple. I was surprised LT wasn't in there either but I guess some people are getting sick of it.

BTW how can my APM only be 72? I thought it would be much higher then that. :) Crotch what were the two replays you watched to get that number?

oh yeah sorry ok I updated it with PA and included the Obs version... (now I feel obliged to put in the obs version of every map, but I won't. Just wait til we decide on which maps to use)

does anyone want to play during the day instead of later at night like we usually do? i feel my addiction to starcraft growing...

I would be happy to, I am usually on all day but not usually at late at night, PM me and maybe we could arrange something.

I'll be on in a few minutes and probably for the rest of the night. I still haven't had the chance to try out Gaia.

i just went to take a look and didn't see anyone. i'll sit here for a bit to see if anyone shows up.

sorry about earlier crotch. i went grocery shopping after lunch.

I think we should start narrowing down the maps so people can start practicing on them. Of course, y'all can still recommend some. As for LT, I think we're all sick of that map, aren't we?

I also think we can rule out Monty Hall, it's probably too advanced for us

Kinda OT: Has anyone else played Team Melee before? It's pretty nuts. You play with 2, 3 or 4 players all controlling one team. Talk about crazy. Also, each player can choose a start race, and for example if player 1 chooses Terran, then you start with a CC and a SCV, but if player 2 choose protoss, they start with a probe. So you can eventually have all 3 races under "one" player.

[quote name='lordwow']Kinda OT: Has anyone else played Team Melee before? It's pretty nuts. You play with 2, 3 or 4 players all controlling one team. Talk about crazy. Also, each player can choose a start race, and for example if player 1 chooses Terran, then you start with a CC and a SCV, but if player 2 choose protoss, they start with a probe. So you can eventually have all 3 races under "one" player.[/QUOTE]

Never tried it, but DAMN if this doesn't sound fun. Does this mean you could have 3 people controlling various aspects of one team? I.e., I'd handle the drones, someone else handles the attacking, etc?

[quote name='Strell']Never tried it, but DAMN if this doesn't sound fun. Does this mean you could have 3 people controlling various aspects of one team? I.e., I'd handle the drones, someone else handles the attacking, etc?[/quote]

Oh yeah, it's pretty f-ing insane and fun. But usually dwindles down into: You control Protoss, I'll control Zerg, and you control Terran.

Still fun regardless.

~HotShotX

Ya, generally the strategy is "I'll run the protoss base, you run the zerg base" but I would love to do some 4 on 4s like Strell suggested. It makes for some amazing micromanagement.

It'd probably be nuts.

I played Team Melee with a few friends before. It basically boils down to the best player on each team wanting to take control of everything :p

[quote name='Oktoberfest']I played Team Melee with a few friends before. It basically boils down to the best player on each team wanting to take control of everything :p[/QUOTE]

That's even better. I can be on your team and let you do all the work.

Copy-pasta'd from the old thread:

http://cag-league.blueshinra.com

Still under construction (I still need an LDK-- going to try contacting Blizzard again now that I have the site up), but here it is so far. I've included a shoutbox, which may make arranging games a little bit easier.

If you notice any bugs, browser issues, etc. please let me know.

Darthbudge and I tried out Monty Hall yesterday and we both think it should be taken out of the map pack. The main problem are those mineral walls everywhere. They make it a little to easy to turtle. The other maps seem fine so far although I still haven't played on all of them.

Hey you know there's a trick with those mineral walls, you get two workers to mine the same mineral patch. While they're stacked on top of each other, you order one to move to the area behind the minerals and the worker will go THROUGH the minerals (allowing for a fast expansion). Pros do it all the time. But like I said, the map is probably too advanced for us

Oh yeah, also, I think we should have everything on Blueshinra's site (maps and replays). My site thing was meant to just be temporary

Oktoberfest, I'll upload your current map pack to my server. For the finished site, the plan is to make it so maps, replays, and other files can be uploaded by registered league members.

Googling around, and rereading the info on Battle.net, it looks like the site and database might have to be created before an LDK can be received.

I've just spent a lot of time looking for a good CMS (content management system) for our needs, but haven't come up with much. The perfect script shouldn't be too big, but if it comes down to it, I'll use one of the big, all-purpose ones. A lot of sites seem to use custom CMSes, which doesn't do me any good. Most of the gaming-specific CMSes are for news sites or FPSes, and the one StarCraft-specific script I found can't be downloaded anymore. I did find a Battle.net specific one, but the documentation is crap and the customization options don't seem to be all that.

So I'm still looking around and testing things I find promising. If I don't find an all-purpose CMS that works out, I'll look into using a small group of scripts (Gallery might be good for uploads [I've used it before and it's awesome] but I'm not sure about the rest). The advantage of a CMS, however, is that it would use one login for everything.

Or we could wait on Blizzard, if they really are just lagging on getting the LDKs out...

Nope. I've searched everywhere from the Battle.net forums on, but all I find are stories of people not getting kits and vague rumors about one or two places that have.

I wish I would of checked into CAG for general discussion on PC Games a lot sooner, there's a lot of great discussion going on in this forum. I'd love to join the CAG league. I don't know if I'd be available for the tournament on the 8th though, as I won't be free until that night.

But I'd love to play with you guys. Keep in mind that I'm not that great. For a frame of reference, since the EB sale I recently bought the Battle Chest and I've just finished the original SC on single player mode again yet when I play online against people that's a whole new level.

I'm getting better but I really suck at microing my units. I'm the guy that tries to use storm on mutalisks but by the time I get the spell off they are in a different location and I hit my own men instead.

I'm still trying to get used to the units on BW.

Anyways, here's my info:

Battle.net name: fatty77

Don't know my APM and I don't think it would be pretty. I'll check into it but what is meant my "average, non-UMS, non-campaign" when referring to the game replays?

Thanks for starting this up. It's nice to be able to find other players, some of which might be down to my skill level, that I can have great SC games with.

I was playing some SC:BW a bit a while back.. If there's a CAG group, I may be interested in playing.

I don't know that I have a name on west. I'll likely be some variation of BattleChicken..

Man... learning about a CAG SC:BW league has ensured I will NEVER get through my game backlog.. if time permits i'll pop on this evening for a game or two.

Little update on the site stuff:

Site Status

After much noodling around, I finally found an excellent script to run the backend of the site. There's some cosmetic tweaks to be done here and there (especially if you're a fellow Safari user), but for the most part, the customizations have been made and/or planned out for implementation first thing tomorrow. As The_Crotch noted in his recent update, the site will be down tomorrow morning while I finalize everything.

User Account Info

As for the features on the new site, we'll be able to keep track of matches, upload and download files, conduct polls, etc. all automatically. Unfortunately, there's no "user registration", and users have to be entered manually by an admin. However, that's the only major drawback in what I believe to be a fantastic script.

With that said, please contact me ASAP (via PM or otherwise) if you want an account, and let me know what username you would like (preferably your Battle.net name. Also note that usernames can only contain letters and/or numbers-- no special characters!). Once the new site is up and the accounts are made, I'll contact you with your account name and temporary password.

Moderators Wanted

Speaking of members, I'm now taking names of people who would be interested in becoming site moderators. Mods would be able to post news, events (ie., tournaments), and polls in addition to the regular user features of being able to upload files and screenshots. I figure we'll need three mods at the most. Also, I'm considering extending account creation to mods, but want to see how things go at first. (ETA: Darthbudge and The Crotch have been made mods. I think this should be fine for right now.)

FAQ

I thought it might be a good idea to include an FAQ on the site, but haven't started writing one. Any takers? (ETA: Darthbudge has volunteered to write the site's FAQ.)

That's all for now. BTW, I might be on tonight; haven't decided yet...

I guess my APM from the first post is good enough to be the official one. I've probably gotten worse since you got that number due to lack of free time to practice. I'll be happy enough if I make it to and lose to Darren in the tourney.

bread's done
Back