Sonic Heroes - 2.49

Just because it's $2.49 doesn't mean it's any good. It's to be expected from a shitty game that didn't sell well on PC.

Eh...if it was on the PS2 or GC I would have gotten it for sure. I already have it, but it would be nice to have another for my sister.

Oh well.

It wasn't great (gets really frustrating), but it's probably worth $2.50. If nothing else, it has great graphics (IMO). And the PC version is the best one, obviously.

I just gave that PC version to a friend. It's really not good and will end up taking up space. I don't mean the game itself isn't good, (which is a matter of opinion, I don't like it much though) but the way they have it running on PC is bad. It's a bad port.

How so? It's not even much of a port. The X-Box and Windows versions of games are usually the same basic code, aside from upgrading the graphics in the PC version.

[quote name='PhreQuencYViii']I just gave that PC version to a friend. It's really not good and will end up taking up space. I don't mean the game itself isn't good, (which is a matter of opinion, I don't like it much though) but the way they have it running on PC is bad. It's a bad port.[/QUOTE]

I bought and played both console and PC versions of the game, they are EXACTLY the same, not a single difference. The game is great, I loved it.

[quote name='help1']how could SEGA put out such shit. Disgraceful![/QUOTE]

I think Sega lost all honor quickly after it became a third party company. I mean, their first year or two as a third party were pretty good, then came their "1 good game for every 10 crappy ones" policy.

[quote name='Wolfpup']How so? It's not even much of a port. The X-Box and Windows versions of games are usually the same basic code, aside from upgrading the graphics in the PC version.[/QUOTE]

Regardless, it's still a very bad port that runs like shit on nearly every rig there is. Crazy, I know.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Regardless, it's still a very bad port that runs like shit on nearly every rig there is. Crazy, I know.[/quote]

I have it up on a mediocre AMD system with an NVidia 6200 card and it runs great on 768 x 1024 resolution at 30 FPS. The game itself is as irritating as any other 3-D Sonic game, but it's a perfectly fine port.

For one, I have a widescreen moniter, and it has very limited resolution options. It also doesn't run too great on a lot of cards, but it did run ok on my 7900. My 360 pad didn't work right with it either. It's just much better to get it on Xbox or something, but if none of that bothers you the PC one is probably fine, but like someone else said a lot of console to PC ports just aren't that great.

There is a cool hack that removes the shiny crap from the models and makes it look a little nicer though.

[quote name='Tsukento']Just because it's $2.49 doesn't mean it's any good. It's to be expected from a shitty game that didn't sell well on PC.[/quote] LMAO

(
tsukentosg9.png
)

[quote name='gamer4432']If only it was for Gamecube.[/quote]
It's still $10 new at Gamestop now for the GC version, since they extended their Gamer's Day Sale.

I bought this on PC the moment it was released... I only had a Dreamcast at the time, and it was only $20 at launch.

The graphics aren't bad at all, and I didn't have any problems with slowdown or anything... some issues with control, but I was using a cheap controller, so who knows. I had a 6800GT, and there were no issues with it.

This isn't bad for $2.50, if you don't mind PC gaming. It's just like the other versions, but with sharper graphics, and less loading time.

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']LMAO

(
tsukentosg9.png
)[/quote]
Nice catch, however, I'm working on a review to compare that game with Sonic Adventure. :p Plus I didn't pay a dime for it, so it's no skin off my back.

The PC version is a piece of shit. As far as I know, it runs at 800x600 and there is no way to change the resolution. Naturally, it looks like shit on my widescreen monitor that has a native resolution over twice that.

A Google search returns no hacks either. I guess nobody gave a shit.

I actually LIKED Sonic Heroes... the song still gives me nightmares though: "SON-IC HEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRROOOOOOOESSSSSSSSS!"

[quote name='Xizer']The PC version is a piece of shit. As far as I know, it runs at 800x600 and there is no way to change the resolution. Naturally, it looks like shit on my widescreen monitor that has a native resolution over twice that.

A Google search returns no hacks either. I guess nobody gave a shit.[/quote]

Uhhh...when you first start the game go to video options...lots of different resolutions available.

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']Uhhh...when you first start the game go to video options...lots of different resolutions available.[/QUOTE]

All part of the weird CAG bias ;) Even if it actually was locked at 800x600, it would still look better than the other versions :lol:

[quote name='Wolfpup']All part of the weird CAG bias ;) Even if it actually was locked at 800x600, it would still look better than the other versions :lol:[/QUOTE]

Ever tried playing a 800x600 game on an LCD with a native res of 1440x900? ;)

Speaking of Sonic I found the 360 used version had dropped to $23.99. It was mint and had the seal still on it. I caved, I love sonic and picked it up. I cant play Sonic on a PC.

[quote name='TehTriggerman']Speaking of Sonic I found the 360 used version had dropped to $23.99. It was mint and had the seal still on it. I caved, I love sonic and picked it up. I cant play Sonic on a PC.[/QUOTE]
Play it before reading any reviews or getting peoples opinions. They make the game sound a lot worse than it really is.

[quote name='whoknows']Play it before reading any reviews or getting peoples opinions. They make the game sound a lot worse than it really is.[/quote]
That's what you think. I didn't really read much in reviews but knew this game was going to be bad. StH '06 is HORRIBLE. That and Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis have got to be the worst Sonic titles ever released. I can't really find myself actually wanting to play past the first stage of this damn game.

[quote name='PhreQuencYViii']Ever tried playing a 800x600 game on an LCD with a native res of 1440x900? ;)[/QUOTE]

The other poster already said it's not locked at 800x600. And even if it was, it'll still look fine as long as you've got a decent monitor. If your scaler is that terrible in the monitor, the GPU might scale it decently.

I've run all the way down to 320x240 on a high resolution screen and it looks fine, aside obviously from the lower resolution.

[quote name='TehTriggerman']Speaking of Sonic I found the 360 used version had dropped to $23.99. It was mint and had the seal still on it. I caved, I love sonic and picked it up. I cant play Sonic on a PC.[/QUOTE]

It's not the same game. Sonic Heroes is very flawed, but not half as bad as that 360 game. Didn't you play the demo? It was atrocious, and the full game is actually supposed to be much worse.

[quote name='whoknows']Play it before reading any reviews or getting peoples opinions. They make the game sound a lot worse than it really is.[/QUOTE]

I played the demo before knowing anything about it, and it was still astoundingly bad. They seriously just keep getting worse.

I mean Sonic Adventures is very unpolished, and has flaws, but is still kind of fun (at least back in the day on the Dreamcast). Heroes is much worse. Sonic by comparison makes Sonic Adventures look like Starcraft.

[quote name='Wolfpup']The other poster already said it's not locked at 800x600. And even if it was, it'll still look fine as long as you've got a decent monitor. If your scaler is that terrible in the monitor, the GPU might scale it decently.[/QUOTE]

Yup, I had the game on PC before I gave it to a friend the other day, but I've got a widescreen 16:10 that does 1440x900 res, 1024x768 from what I remember was the highest the game went, and it was goofy looking no matter what I did. A big reason would be it was stretched, and I know the video card can stick bars on the side but whatever. I just mean that it it's better to get the Xbox one which can at least do 480p (and wide, at least I think so) VS the PC one, for most normal 4:3 and stuff though, its prolly fine.

I beat STH on 360 the other day....I dunno why, bored I guess...I did like Sonic Heroes more. That game was just so glitchy I almost gave up, but I only paid 15$ for it, and it wasn't horrific enough to not play through it, so whatever.

[quote name='PhreQuencYViii']Yup, I had the game on PC before I gave it to a friend the other day, but I've got a widescreen 16:10 that does 1440x900 res, 1024x768 from what I remember was the highest the game went, and it was goofy looking no matter what I did. A big reason would be it was stretched, and I know the video card can stick bars on the side but whatever. I just mean that it it's better to get the Xbox one which can at least do 480p (and wide, at least I think so) VS the PC one, for most normal 4:3 and stuff though, its prolly fine.[/quote]

Err...but 480p is less than half the resolution.

[quote name='PhreQuencYViii']Yup. Trust me, the Xbox version is the best of them all.[/quote]
Agreed

The thing I hated about this games were the bonus stages. Remember the Sonic 2 bonus stages in the half-pipe? It's like that, but with 3 people & horrible controls.

[quote name='Tsukento']That's what you think. I didn't really read much in reviews but knew this game was going to be bad. StH '06 is HORRIBLE. That and Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis have got to be the worst Sonic titles ever released. I can't really find myself actually wanting to play past the first stage of this damn game.[/quote]That Sonic 1 GBA port is horrible. They maintinaed a pixel-for-pixel perfect translation, which on the GBA screen means you can see about 1/4 of the normal playing field at any time. Even the end of one of the early acts is incredibly hard because you can't see where the platforms are vs. where the spikes are.

That game never should have been made.

[quote name='PhreQuencYViii']Yup. Trust me, the Xbox version is the best of them all.[/QUOTE]

Why? The Gamecube version was slightly better according to reviews at the time, and obviously the PC version has the best graphics of any of them.

It seems the correct order would be PC/Gamecube -> X-Box -> Playstation 2.

About the PS2 version, the loading times were terrible...when I played it on the PS3 it loaded as fast as the GC version.

[quote name='whoknows']About the PS2 version, the loading times were terrible...when I played it on the PS3 it loaded as fast as the GC version.[/QUOTE]

That's interesting. I keep hearing different things like that that seem to show the PS3 enhancing PS2 games more than what Sony actually says. (Like slow down was eliminated in some game as I recall.)

I really did want to like Sonic Heroes, as it was a gorgeous game on the Gamecube IMO. But oh so broken, like (IMO) every Sonic game since the early ones.

And no, I don't like Rush either. It has it's own "camera" issues (can't see drops, etc.) and becomes insanely cheap quickly, just like the 3D games.

It seems like the Sonic concept should be pretty darned simple to do well. Just make sure you can run fast without having to slow down, and make it pretty. I shouldn't ever by falling into random pits, or having to memorize a level to get through, etc.

Oh well, at least Bioware's RPG should be good!

[quote name='Wolfpup']

And no, I don't like Rush either. It has it's own "camera" issues (can't see drops, etc.) and becomes insanely cheap quickly, just like the 3D games.[/quote]

sonic rush is probably the only ds game i havent gotten sick of, try getting all S ranks playa

I can't even get past the first few levels. I hate cheap games. I don't want to have to memorize a level to get through it.

Since this thread is still inexplicably going...

EB's also got the GameCube version of the game for $10 as part of their Game Days sales. Would it be worth picking that one up over the PC version?

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Since this thread is still inexplicably going...

EB's also got the GameCube version of the game for $10 as part of their Game Days sales. Would it be worth picking that one up over the PC version?[/QUOTE]
If you like 3D Sonic games, most definitely.

I found this one to be weaker than the Adventure games though...I wasn't too big into the whole switch characters thing.

bread's done
Back