Feedback
41 (100%)
boxshot_us_large.jpg

Official Site:
http://www.disgaea.us/dis3/index.html

Price = $49.99

Release Date = August 26th

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp-kRA4Crdc&[/media]

I'm not kidding, it really is for PS3. I posted another link. NIS always sticks to the same 2D sprites. The game is still quite early though, so things could change. NIS said they had a game in development for PS3, and this looks to be the game.

Well, seems like the PDF link confirms it. I wish it was something other than Disgaea though, oh well. At least it's a popular game I guess and might help increase the amount of RPG type games on it possibly with this announcement. Well, I can hope anyways.

Awesome news, although I still need to buy Disgaea 2 (I'm tempted to wait till next year when my schedule will be more open because I know once I buy it the next 50+ hours of my life will be occupied).

After years of sucking time away from PlayStation 2 owners, Nippon Ichi is finally moving on to the next generation. At Sony's PlayStation Premier event in Tokyo today, the third party publisher formally announced Disgaea 3 for the PlayStation 3.

Currently, we have just few details on the game, which is fully titled Makai Senki Disgaea 3. Once again a strategy RPG featuring a variety of selectabe units, the title appears to take place in a school setting. One screenshot shows a school backdrop with a menu prompting the player to change seats, go to your home room, or take part in graduation and entrance ceremonies.

The two screenshots we have suggest that Nippon Ichi hasn't quite abandoned its current set of visual tools in the move to the PS3. For a look at 2D sprites against 3D backdrops all presented in HD, check out the screens.

Disgaea 3 is set for Japanese release this winter.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/805/805607p1.html

Why is this so ugly? C'mon, if you're going to make a game for the PS3, at least make high-res sprites. I mean, I'll still buy it if it's good, but it's disappointing to see graphics that could easily have been done on the PS1.

It really is ugly. And that's a problem.

Because considering how hard-assed SCEA can be, I think it's seriously likely that they wouldn't approve this game for release in the US.

Low res screens shots. No video showing animations. I will wait and see how it looks in videos.

Interesting, is this the first ps3 game that clearly will not be primarilty stressing uber-graphics?
i'd rather have the graphics be hyper detailed 2d sprites, then the kind of bland 3d surfaces those pics show, still too early to judge.

[quote name='furyk']Eh, who cares that it's ugly? It might actually have a fair content to cost ratio at $60 too.[/QUOTE]

not that I'll buy this, but $60 would absolutely ridiculous for a game with recycled sprites.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']It really is ugly. And that's a problem.

Because considering how hard-assed SCEA can be, I think it's seriously likely that they wouldn't approve this game for release in the US.[/quote]

Are you fucking kidding? With the cult following of Disgaea, and a severe lack of any rpg or srpg's on the system? Of course they will bring the game here! They have too few exclusives as it is.

I don't care that it's ugly, but if you're not gonna use the hardware, make it a PS2 game, put it on a DVD, pop it in a PS3-branded case for $50 and everyone's happy.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']It really is ugly. And that's a problem.

Because considering how hard-assed SCEA can be, I think it's seriously likely that they wouldn't approve this game for release in the US.[/QUOTE]They won't. SCEA will let NIS America bring most anything over regardless. If this was some publisher who had no Japanese branch trying to bring this over, SCEA probably wouldn't allow it. They'll let this game come, since Disgaea has been very successful on PlayStation and they know it.

Btw, the game is still quite early and the game will be HD scaled. Plus, NIS is very small staffed and doesn't have the funding and development to make high res games. Also, games are moving from PS2 to PS3 from now on as it seems, so that's why its coming to PS3 instead. I'm glad it's coming to PS3, because maybe we'll get some download content for this game down the road.
[quote name='slidecage']i would take an UGLY game anyday that has major play vaule then a PRETTY game but stupid/awful play vaule[/QUOTE]
QFT. We'll be playing this on our PS3 one day. ;)

So now there is a reason for me to get a PS3, this is one of the only series I buy at launch and beat them all.

Looks like a PS2 game currently, the first two looked like PS1 games.
I s'pose they are making progress.

I'll buy it, but not for $60.

Nice to see a widescreen shot of it though.

[quote name='dragonreborn23']Are you fucking kidding? With the cult following of Disgaea, and a severe lack of any rpg or srpg's on the system? Of course they will bring the game here! They have too few exclusives as it is.[/QUOTE]
Sony specifically denied US releases for games like Tales of Rebirth, and that probably had better sales prospects than any NIS game based on name recognition. Same goes for several other 2D RPGs. It's nothing they haven't done before. Yeah, they allowed it on PS2, but I'm less confident that they'd certify a US release for a game that looks like that on PS3.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Sony specifically denied US releases for games like Tales of Rebirth, and that probably had better sales prospects than any NIS game based on name recognition. Same goes for several other 2D RPGs. It's nothing they haven't done before. Yeah, they allowed it on PS2, but I'm less confident that they'd certify a US release for a game that looks like that on PS3.[/QUOTE]Sony never denied Tales of Rebirth, Namco never wanted to bring the game stateside due to the poor sales of Tales of Eternia.

[quote name='Chacrana']Why is this so ugly? C'mon, if you're going to make a game for the PS3, at least make high-res sprites. I mean, I'll still buy it if it's good, but it's disappointing to see graphics that could easily have been done on the PS1.[/QUOTE]

That's a bit of an exaggeration. Easily done on the PS1? It could've been done on the PS2, I'll grant you that but check out Hoshigami and Final Fantasy Tactics to see what PS1 strategy games look like, they're nowhere near that clean.

[quote name='botticus']I don't care that it's ugly, but if you're not gonna use the hardware, make it a PS2 game, put it on a DVD, pop it in a PS3-branded case for $50 and everyone's happy.[/quote]

My sentiments EXACTLY

[quote name='dallow']I'm sure the game will be spruced up a bit.[/QUOTE]

I'll take that bet. NIS doesn't care about the graphics. I doubt it gets any better than those screenshots.

And there's no WAY Sony denies an American release for this. Hell, they could probably make it a download--how big could a 2D sprite game be anyway?

I agree, Disgaea will come over here, with a whole bunch of exclusives going multi-platform, Sony can't afford to be picky about which games should be released and which ones shouldn't be released.

[quote name='keithp']I'll take that bet. NIS doesn't care about the graphics. I doubt it gets any better than those screenshots.

And there's no WAY Sony denies an American release for this. Hell, they could probably make it a download--how big could a 2D sprite game be anyway?[/quote]Well I know they're not going to go crazy with the graphics, but they'll at least make it look a little better than that.

These are early shots, I"m sure most sprites and backgrounds there are placeholders.

It'll look better, but just a little, I'll take the bet.

AND WHERE IS DR. MARIO KART?
He better not be home crying wondering why this isn't on PS2 or Wii.

just a general type question as Im not really knowledgable about programming and stuff:

I thought that someone had said it took about 500,000 copies sold to break even. Now I would assume that is due to cutting edge graphics and stuff like that. So am I right to assume that a game like this would take far less sold to break even?

[quote name='schuerm26']just a general type question as Im not really knowledgable about programming and stuff:

I thought that someone had said it took about 500,000 copies sold to break even. Now I would assume that is due to cutting edge graphics and stuff like that. So am I right to assume that a game like this would take far less sold to break even?[/quote]Of course.

I too wonder where DMK is in all of this. If this story were about how the game is a wii exclusive, he would be gushing and rubbing it in people's faces.

[quote name='dallow']Of course.[/quote]

How much though would presumably be the break even point? Doesn't even selling 200,000 copies of this at a $60 price tag seem like a stretch?

[quote name='Vendetta']These are the kinds of games I was waiting to hit the PS3. =]

A SMT game on PS3 would be godly.[/QUOTE]One was announced for PS3 long ago (The fourth installment I believe). I expect something at TGS or next year. Without a doubt, it will still come to PS3, since the producer of the series said the PS3 is the only console to make his vision come true.

Anyway, from what I hear, based on the graphics NIS, Idea Factory, etc. use on their RPGs, they only need to sell around 20k-50k to even break even. If they sell in that range or better, they did well. It may not sell as well as it did on PS2, but it will sell more than enough to break even, just on Japanese sales alone (U.S. and Europe will help too).

[quote name='schuerm26']How much though would presumably be the break even point? Doesn't even selling 200,000 copies of this at a $60 price tag seem like a stretch?[/quote]$60 might be interesting, it may dampen the US market somewhat. Not sure how big it usually sells over here, but I guess they tend to sell 100-150k in Japan, so even small sales in the US would likely allow them to break even. Depends on if Disgaea fans already own PS3s, and/or if they will buy a PS3 for Disgaea.

[quote name='schuerm26']How much though would presumably be the break even point? Doesn't even selling 200,000 copies of this at a $60 price tag seem like a stretch?[/quote]They would probably need to sell a lot less than that.

Since I really don't know their development costs per game. No one here really does. No one can accurately tell you how much it would need to sell.
Only that significantly less than half a million would be correct.

I doubt it would cost ANYMORE than developing a PS2 game for them, since its basically using the same graphics. The development costs discussed with other games has to do with taking advantage of a consoles power. From what I heard, downloadable games development is cheap on PS3. For an example, to make Gripshift on PS3, selling at $9.99, they only needed to sell 35k to break even. Although it was a PSP port, that's an example how I download, which doesn't take advantage of the graphics on PS3, needs to sell to break even. Although releasing it on a blu-ray disc may add $$, it's really not as expensive as people may think.

[quote name='dallow']AND WHERE IS DR. MARIO KART?
He better not be home crying wondering why this isn't on PS2 or Wii.[/QUOTE]

Well, to be fair, it's not an unreasonable question. There are how many PS2s out there? This game uses how much of what the PS3 can do? So ... wouldn't NIS kinda want to, oh I don't know, sell as many copies as they can? *shrug*

[quote name='trq']Well, to be fair, it's not an unreasonable question. There are how many PS2s out there? This game uses how much of what the PS3 can do? So ... wouldn't NIS kinda want to, oh I don't know, sell as many copies as they can? *shrug*[/quote]I know it's fair, and I'm frankly surprised to see it here now on the PS3.

I never truly judge a game by screenshots. They don't always do the games justice.

And we don't know what kind of content this'll have, so beyond graphics they might need the ps3 for something else.

[quote name='NamPaehc']And we don't know what kind of content this'll have, so beyond graphics they might need the ps3 for something else.[/QUOTE]

It's possible. But somehow I don't see the game filling up a bluray or using the sixaxis. It'd be pretty interesting if that were the case, though.

I loved the first one, and although I am a fan of NIS/Nippon Ichi, it's a bit of a drag to see them stick to the dated graphics.

Give the 3d models a shot :D

One thing I would tell NIS is to team up with Falcom. THAT would be awesome, then Disgaea 3 would have some nice 3d models and animation, along with some cool gameplay, music, etc..

Online gameplay is a must for this as well, seeing as how Disgaea Portable will have that feature :D

I'm Jazzed :bouncy:

[quote name='trq']Well, to be fair, it's not an unreasonable question. There are how many PS2s out there? This game uses how much of what the PS3 can do? So ... wouldn't NIS kinda want to, oh I don't know, sell as many copies as they can? *shrug*[/QUOTE]

Maybe NIS has plans for more PS3 games. People complain the PS3 doesn't have any games or enough to justify buying one. SOMEONE has to step up to the plate and move away from the PS2 and move on to the PS3, props to NIS for stepping up to the plate. Companies had to move away from the GBA to the DS and they did that. NIS is doing the same thing from PS2 to PS3. And maybe Disgaea will have an online mode. Maybe that's worth something to some people, I don't know.

As far as PS3 playing it as a PS2 game, there's no guarantee it'll work 100%. Some games don't work perfectly with the PS2 hardware inside the PS3. That is being phased out anyway, by the time Disgaea 3 is released in the US (assuming it does) then they'll probably be some software emulation versions out there. I would guess most of their business comes from the first few weeks of sales. Xbox games couldn't wait for MS to make them work on the 360 day one, so they released them anyway.

[quote name='zerolens']Maybe NIS has plans for more PS3 games. People complain the PS3 doesn't have any games or enough to justify buying one. SOMEONE has to step up to the plate and move away from the PS2 and move on to the PS3, props to NIS for stepping up to the plate.[/QUOTE]

Just seems like that person or persons should be someone who'd use what the new console brings to the table. Otherwise, why drop the possible audience for your game to a tenth of what it could be?

[quote name='zerolens']Companies had to move away from the GBA to the DS and they did that.[/QUOTE]

And that brought better graphics and touch-screen functionality. So far, Disgaea 3? Nothin.

[quote name='zerolens']And maybe Disgaea will have an online mode.[/QUOTE]

I hope so. I'd still wager there are more PS2 owners with the internet adapter than there are PS3 owners, but maybe not.

[quote name='trq']And that brought better graphics and touch-screen functionality. So far, Disgaea 3? Nothin.[/quote]

Damn, just barely announced, with two early screenshots and almost no info and already it's nothing new?

I do wish there were a number for PS2 owners with the ethernet adapter.
Really doubt it's high at all.

[quote name='dallow']Damn, just barely announced, with two early screenshots and almost no info and already it's nothing new?

I do wish there were a number for PS2 owners with the ethernet adapter.
Really doubt it's high at all.[/quote]

To be fair, Dallow, NIS has mostly just mixes around what they've done previously in their Tactical RPGs, and doesn't often bring much new to the plate -- this is coming from someone who has (and loves) every US released non-portable NIS TRPG. I find there is usually one truly unique mechanic per game... related to the character creation (the most unique and interesting being Phantom Brave).

Disgaea was by and far the best thing they put out, and I find that their newer offerings pale in comparison to their original masterwork -- including Disgaea 2. The addition of the Vehicles in Makai Kingdom.. the free movement in Phantom Brave were nice little movements forward, but there wasn't anything in any of their new titles that really upped the ante, and blew away what they've done in the past -- just a series of small progressive movements, updating an already successful and enjoyable (to the target demographic) game for their audience.

So, NIS' history shows next to no graphical improvements, and a minor twist on a successful formula -- there isn't anything wrong with that. While I would certainly not be disappointed by them by transcending where they've been before.. I certainly wouldn’t expect it. I would imagine a minor update of the sprites, and a tweak to the gameplay to be all we see – and that’s probably all they’ll need to do to sell out the number they try to sell.

edit: fixed the odd font I wound up with somehow..

bread's done
Back