Rumor: WiiConnect24 breaking Wiis?

How exactly does someone blame WiiConnect24 for breaking their console? One day they try to use it and it doesn't turn on?

1. The extreme heat comes from STANDBY mode which you can turn off while leaving connect24 on.

2. It does make your wii hot to the touch. Whether that eventually melts your gpu is another story.

[quote name='Scrubking']1. The extreme heat comes from STANDBY mode which you can turn off while leaving connect24 on.

2. It does make your wii hot to the touch. Whether that eventually melts your gpu is another story.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I made a thread about it and one CAG posted a pic which showed that his Wii was actually warped due to the heat. I only left mine on for a few days before turning it off because, it was utterly worthless.

well, I had left mine for standby for like a week since you actually have to go press the button if you want to turn it off and I just ran upstairs to check and turn it off when I read this.

It was a bit more warm then a usual electronic appliance, but nothing bad. Thank goodness.

Well, I used to leave mine plugged in and turned on 24-7 and my GPU deteriorated...

They replaced it all for free and now I just pull the plug when I'm finished playing so I don't have to turn WiiConnect24 on and off

[quote name='Wlogan31']Well, I used to leave mine plugged in and turned on 24-7 and my GPU deteriorated...

They replaced it all for free and now I just pull the plug when I'm finished playing so I don't have to turn WiiConnect24 on and off[/quote]

Exactly what happened to me. Now I leave it unplugged too.

Yeah, I noticed yesterday that it was really hot in standby mode since my games were stacked right next to it. After reading this, I turned mine off since I really don't have as much use for it's features.

I've had my Wii in standby mode since launch. No probs and it's much cooler than my cable box which runs at around 115 degrees and has a hard drive in it. Supposedly there is a bad batch of Wii GPUs out there and any additional heat is probably going to cause issues with those, but warping because of standby heat? GTFO.

I leave mine off just to save the power and not worry about the heat. Wii online functions are currently completely and utterly useless, much less having any need to have it always connected.

Iwata made a big deal out of it at launch, and I still don't see any substantial benefits to enabling WiiConnect24. So I can get my updates a little quicker? For the sake of Mii Parade?

I just bought my Wii today so is it okay to leave my Wii at the "red light". Or should I just completely unplug it?

[quote name='Prolific']I just bought my Wii today so is it okay to leave my Wii at the "red light". Or should I just completely unplug it?[/QUOTE]

I leave mine with WiiConnet24 on and the Standby off. I get the "red light" and the system is always cool. I think that unpluging everytime it is a little too much.

[quote name='Prolific']I just bought my Wii today so is it okay to leave my Wii at the "red light". Or should I just completely unplug it?[/quote]

Red light runs the coolest. Yellow means WiiConnect24 is on, and green is, you know.

~HotShotX

Mines been in standby since launch, no problems yet. Wiiconnect 24 is useless though, I guess I just like wasting power

[quote name='Scrubking']1. The extreme heat comes from STANDBY mode which you can turn off while leaving connect24 on.

2. It does make your wii hot to the touch. Whether that eventually melts your gpu is another story.[/QUOTE]

No, Standby mode does not make the Wii hot, its the Wii Connect24 thats making it hot. I checked this back then and I was wondering why it was so fucking hot , so I turned off my Connect24 and Standby mode was cool.

So yeah, you can leave Standby(red light) mode on, but turn off Connect24, because its useless leaving it on.

Mine has been on standby since launch, and while it does feel rather warm I haven't had any issues where I had to unplug/replug it, or any of that nonsense.

[quote name='gokou36']No, Standby mode does not make the Wii hot, its the Wii Connect24 thats making it hot. I checked this back then and I was wondering why it was so fucking hot , so I turned off my Connect24 and Standby mode was cool.

So yeah, you can leave Standby(red light) mode on, but turn off Connect24, because its useless leaving it on.[/quote]
Wrong. The standby connection keeps the Wii on all day to constantly download online stuff, which is what's causing the problem, not WiiConnect24.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Wrong. The standby connection keeps the Wii on all day to constantly download online stuff, which is what's causing the problem, not WiiConnect24.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it seems like everyone has it backwards. The best thing to do is have WiiConnect24 on and Standby off.

WiiConnect24 keeps the WiFi connection active, causing heat in the system because no system fans run while it is on. It also consumes much more energy than simply having the system on standby.

[quote name='lanleague']WiiConnect24 keeps the WiFi connection active,[/QUOTE]

Yes, everybody does have it backwards.

You can't even enable standby mode when WiiConnect24 is off. You can have WiiConnect24 on and standby off, however.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Wrong. The standby connection keeps the Wii on all day to constantly download online stuff, which is what's causing the problem, not WiiConnect24.[/QUOTE]

Umm no i'm not wrong, go read it again. Leaving Standby mode on does NOT download stuff, thats only when you have it on with WiiConnect24.

[quote name='gokou36']Umm no i'm not wrong, go read it again. Leaving Standby mode on does NOT download stuff, thats only when you have it on with WiiConnect24.[/quote]
Yes, you are.

I'll break it down for you:

WiiConnect24 just connects online. The Standby Connection (Don't confuse this with the normal standby that all electronics these days are in when you turn them off) keeps that connection active 24 hours a day. You cannot have the Standby Connection on without having WC24 on, but you can keep WC24 on without the Standby Connection being on so that it'll only get online when you have the Wii on. The problem is that the Standby Connection is keeping the Wii on all hours of the day without running the fan, thus making the Wii hotter than if the Standby Connection were turned off.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Yes, you are.

I'll break it down for you:

WiiConnect24 just connects online. The Standby Connection (Don't confuse this with the normal standby that all electronics these days are in when you turn them off) keeps that connection active 24 hours a day. You cannot have the Standby Connection on without having WC24 on, but you can keep WC24 on without the Standby Connection being on so that it'll only get online when you have the Wii on. The problem is that the Standby Connection is keeping the Wii on all hours of the day without running the fan, thus making the Wii hotter than if the Standby Connection were turned off.[/QUOTE]

I just went to check it after I posted and I see what you mean now. Looks like Nintendo fucked up with it, you're not really in Standby mode since the damn thing is still running hot.

Edit : But still, red light=standby mode. Its best to either leave WiiConnect24 off or like you and others said to have it on but turn Standby mode off without having to unplug the power cord. Whatever you do, just make sure you don't have the orange light or it'll run hot and fuck your system.

[quote name='gokou36']I just went to check it after I posted and I see what you mean now. Looks like Nintendo fucked up with it, you're not really in Standby mode since the damn thing is still running hot.

Edit : But still, red light=standby mode. Its best to either leave WiiConnect24 off or like you and others said to have it on but turn Standby mode off without having to unplug the power cord. Whatever you do, just make sure you don't have the orange light or it'll run hot and fuck your system.[/quote]
Standby mode =/=Standby connection. Two separate things, though similar. One keeps the system barely on at all times (standby mode) while the other keeps the system connected to the internet at all times(Standby Connection). Both the orange and red lights mean it's in standby mode, but orange means it also has the standby connection on, as well. You can check the manual for confirmation on that.

What the fuck is the point of WiiConnect24? Just to update the firmware?

Add me to the list of "yellow light has been on since December unless power goes out and I have no reason to turn the Wii back on right away"

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Standby mode =/=Standby connection. Two separate things, though similar. One keeps the system barely on at all times (standby mode) while the other keeps the system connected to the internet at all times(Standby Connection). Both the orange and red lights mean it's in standby mode, but orange means it also has the standby connection on, as well. You can check the manual for confirmation on that.[/QUOTE]

Same difference. Lets face it, WiiConnect24 is the reason why systems can break. The meaning of WiiConnect24 is to have it connect 24/7. If you turn off Standby Connection and leave WiiConnect24 on, its no longer on 24/7. This is a bad feature and shouldn't have been implemented in the first place. What good is it to have it on 24/7 when it can harm your system, to save you a few mins of updating(hell are there any updates?).

I wouldn't rely on Kotaku for a source of news. They claimed that Japanese players were dashing for US-based Pokémon with nicknames on the Global Trade System because they couldn't us English letters...which was completely false.

Sounds more like Kotaku doesn't have shit to report so we've got "rumors" flying about.

On another note, I've left my Wii on for days and have never had a problem. Same goes with systems of now and the past.

I've had my Wii since the end of January. WiiConnect24's on and I put it in standby when I'm not using it. My Wii's fine.

If some Wiis are melting down because of a batch of inferior components or manufacturing defects , I'd want to find out if my Wii was defective while it's covered under warranty.

I'd turn WiiConnect24 on, put it in standby, and consider it stress testing.

All I know is I don't want a constantly running system that gets that hot anywhere near my drapes when I'm away from home.

Aren't the GPU and Wi-Fi chip placed right next to each other inside the Wii? It definitely makes sense that the GPU is being cooked because Wi-Fi devices tend to get quite hot.

My Wii went down. Sent it back in and they gave me a new one. My old one still worked, but had faint vertical lines of pixels on the screen. Not totally noticeable, but probably the start of a bigger problem.

[quote name='gokou36']No, Standby mode does not make the Wii hot, its the Wii Connect24 thats making it hot. I checked this back then and I was wondering why it was so fucking hot , so I turned off my Connect24 and Standby mode was cool.

So yeah, you can leave Standby(red light) mode on, but turn off Connect24, because its useless leaving it on.[/QUOTE]

Huh? For me it was the other way around... I have WC24 on but stand by mode off and it's perfectly cool. When on standby, it used to get fairly hot.

WiiConnect24 ON gives the orange light when you power down the system.
It gets hot.

Standby mode only gives the red light.
Not hot, nor warm.

[quote name='dallow']I'm actually going to turn it off today.
It's useless.[/quote]

shame on you dallow... i thought you're way too smart to have Wii24 turned on all this time.

just turn off wii connect 24... i don't see any advantages... it's not like u wake up and nintendo has just sent you a free mario or star fox 64 or something

[quote name='trip1eX']My Wii went down. Sent it back in and they gave me a new one. My old one still worked, but had faint vertical lines of pixels on the screen. Not totally noticeable, but probably the start of a bigger problem.[/quote]
Mine has a yellow color slowly showing up on the left side of my screen on things like the internet, and when its on everybody votes, a blue also shows up on the right. Does mine have a problem?

actually, i do used to use wiiconnect to check the news almost every day, then i started realizing how HOT this thing was getting. I promptly stopped using it after that.

a shame though, now i gotta watch actual news to get my updates :/.

Maybe I should take a look at mine... I walked by the other day and noticed the light was off. Seemed a little wierd so tried to turn it on...nothing. Moved it to another outlet...still nothing. I did this 4 or 5 times and finally the red light came on. I put it away because the neighbor kids were coming over, so I should hook it back up to see if everything is working correctly.

(I had slight power outage in the neighborhood the night before, and thought that may have caused it to reset)

[quote name='Serpentor']shame on you dallow... i thought you're way too smart to have Wii24 turned on all this time.[/quote]I just forgot it was on.
It's really my sister who plays it, and only GC games.

:(

Problem is fixed now.

The misinformation in this thread is astounding.
Enlighten us!

Would anybody suggest a cooling fan?
Haha, no.

bread's done
Back