Fire Pro Wrestling Returns, for under $15! 10/10 on 1up!

pete5883

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
http://kotaku.com/gaming/wrestling/fire-pro-to-set-west-blaze-283121.php

As a lover of Fire Pro Wrestling on GBA, I couldn't be more excited. Plus this sounds like a super-budget title, so there's really no reason why anyone would pass this up.

IGN Preview

Edit: bmarquardt uncovers some possible prices.

Double Edit: Now available for pre-order on Amazon

Intercontinental Edit: Check out some clips posted by RIJ

European Edit: One week to go! All the important information posted by bmarquadt over the in Deals Forum.

No online play.

Im a member of the Firepro Club, and over at our website we've been contacted by Mark Johnson of Agetec, who is the lead localization producer on the project. That entire quote on Kotaku is taken from Marks thread on the Firepro Club boards.

Basically this is going to be a straight port of the Japanese version, with no new additions, so dont look for online, or the addition of American wrestlers, although I imagine the edit parts for the American workers will be left intact, so you can make them yourself or download them, just like with the Japanese version.

Ive pledged my support and plan to help Mark and Agetec in any way I can. I want this to be the best game it can possibly be for english speaking Firepro fans.

And any wrestling game fans that were put off by the difficulties of importing and playing the game, as well as the language barrier can now get ready to experience the GREATEST WRESTLING GAME OF ALL TIME!!! :D

It seems such a simple game for online play, but at the same time, like Virtua Fighter, Tekken, or Guitar Hero, timing is absolutely *critical* in these titles, so that may be a big obstacle in making online reliable and fun. Thanks for the info.

Taken from the wrestling thread, here's a "best of FiPro" video that should get you acquainted with the sheer depth of the game (if you didn't know):

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu4kVZpF35w[/media]

[quote name='mykevermin']It seems such a simple game for online play, but at the same time, like Virtua Fighter, Tekken, or Guitar Hero, timing is absolutely *critical* in these titles, so that may be a big obstacle in making online reliable and fun. Thanks for the info.

Taken from the wrestling thread, here's a "best of FiPro" video that should get you acquainted with the sheer depth of the game (if you didn't know):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu4kVZpF35w[/QUOTE]

Nice video. You should put a warning that the video uses Linkin Park music in the background though; I almost had a cerebral edema until I was able to mute it in time. ;)

I only played the one on Dreamcast, and I had a lot of fun with it. I enjoyed being able to use popular Japanese wrestlers, as I used to watch some of those federations when I was younger (Toryumon ftw).

I have high hopes for this one.

[quote name='Vendetta']Nice video. You should put a warning that the video uses Linkin Park music in the background though; I almost had a cerebral edema until I was able to mute it in time. ;)[/QUOTE]

Oh, sorry. My speakers are muted, so I didn't notice.

d was awesome..

having goldberg in with the remixed entrance song was pretty awesome..

wish the rest of the roster had their own songs though

You think anyone will be doing game saves to put onto PS3, cuz I'd love to get this game, but I will have to play it on my PS3

This is fantastic news! FPR has pretty much an infinite amount of customization and pretty much any move you can think of. Styles clash, GTS, canadian destroyer are all there.

Seriously with a bit of work you can have pretty much every major wrestler and fed that all look and act like their real life counterparts.

I've been playing the Fire Pro series since the Saturn version, and have always thought it was the best wrestling series ever. Fire Pro Wrestling 2 for GBA has probably occupied more of my game time than any other 2 games in my collection put together, if for no other reason than because it's portable.

I will buy this release Day 1, and I still would even if it was full price. The fact that they're making it a budget game is just icing on the cake. :)

[quote name='Mr. Beef']THIS is what I've been missing out on? Dear god, I'm sorry. Does the american version have a release date yet?[/QUOTE]

The post over at Fire Pro Club mentioned a late 2007, early 2008 release.

Wow, and I was really close to importing it this week. I'll hold of and get the US version. It's going to be awesome and I can't wait to see the CAWs that US gamers come up with. PS2 is really shining in the last years of its life in the US thanks to moves like this.

Nice to see Sony becoming more relaxed on the games that are going to come out here on the PS2. Hopefully, we will see more 2-D fighters and shoot em ups released in the US.

[quote name='J35U5']with a bit of work you can have pretty much every major wrestler and fed that all look and act like their real life counterparts.[/quote]

Forget that stuff, I made the ultimate tag-team in history with my GBA FPW2 a looong time ago... Freddy Krueger and Jason Vorhees, complete with accurate attacks and bloodlust. The game got boring after using them to win every single match for unlocking (until the MMA guys started breaking my bones).

[quote name='Logg']I loved this game on Dreamcast, to bad I don't have a PS2 any more.[/quote]

worth rebuying a ps2 for.

Forget that stuff, I made the ultimate tag-team in history with my GBA FPW2 a looong time ago... Freddy Krueger and Jason Vorhees, complete with accurate attacks and bloodlust.

Many different kinds of edits can be made, and made well with the games editor. I have edits of the guys you mentioned, as well as dozens of superheroes and villians, characters from other games, like SFII, or NES Pro Wrestling. Ronald McDonald, Colonel Sanders, Ace Frehley, TRON, etc. The possibilities are endless.

[quote name='Puffa469']Many different kinds of edits can be made, and made well with the games editor. I have edits of the guys you mentioned, as well as dozens of superheroes and villians, characters from other games, like SFII, or NES Pro Wrestling. Ronald McDonald, Colonel Sanders, Ace Frehley, TRON, etc. The possibilities are endless.[/QUOTE]
Yep, there's even a Starman vs. Amazon video up at Youtube:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHHZU1IcJjk[/media]

This thread's only 24 entries long, I think you could've taken the time to read it and see that yes, there's a projected release date of late 2007/early 2008.

[quote name='evilmax17']Hrm, it looks like FPW2 (GBA) got rare all of a sudden. Is it worth buying if I already have FPW1?[/quote]

That games been hard to get ahold of for a while now. Its very, very similar to the first game. They took out the best part of the Japanese game when they brought it over here. The jap version has a 'Management of the Ring' mode, which is basically a book your own fed mode.

The second game also loses the Audience mode from the first game. It does have a new mode which I cant remember right now, but its no big whoop believe me.

I'd only get the second US GBA game if you reeeally love fipro.

FPW2 on the GBA had a Gauntlet type mode where you would choose two wrestlers and have them take on a series of matches. If you beat those challenges it unlocked a survival battle royal mode where you'd compete against 10 other wrestlers, your wrestler and 3 others to start with, and a new one would enter every time one was eliminated. Kind of fun, but MotR mode is bar far better. Worth importing and printing out a translation guide for.

so are these games really as great as ive heard they are? i alsmot imported one years back but ive been an on and off wrestlign fan for years now but i still enjoy good wrestling games. what system is this goign to be on and how many moves per wrestler do you tend to have ? like i said ive never played any of them but ive always wanted to know just how good the games are.

[quote name='lokizz']what system is this goign to be on and how many moves per wrestler do you tend to have ?[/QUOTE]
#1 You're in the fucking PS2 forum. #2, there's a lot of moves. Several moves depending if the opponent is standing laying face up/face down etc.

[quote name='pete5883']#1 You're in the fucking PS2 forum. #2, there's a lot of moves. Several moves depending if the opponent is standing laying face up/face down etc.[/quote]

so can you expect about the same a few less or more moves than youd get in your avg 3d grappler? like the wwe ps2 wrestling games. and do people know for sure if real wrestlers from america will be in it or not? ive read around some and there seems to be a difference of opinion on that. and what is the price going to be or could be?

Price is going to be budget, probably $10-20. I would expect a few more moves than your average 3d grappler, but I haven't played 3D wrestling games much since No Mercy.

[quote name='lokizz']so can you expect about the same a few less or more moves than youd get in your avg 3d grappler? like the wwe ps2 wrestling games. and do people know for sure if real wrestlers from america will be in it or not? ive read around some and there seems to be a difference of opinion on that. and what is the price going to be or could be?[/QUOTE]

Moves per wrestler? Around 30, with a lot of variety of moves to choose from.

It's likely that american wrestlers will be in this one, however like the GBA games they will probably be named differently (like Cremator instead of Undertaker) and recolored to avoid a lawsuit.

The only American wrestlers that are in the game are ones who have wrestled in Japan in the last few years. There are also some American legends, like Andre the Giant. But in the edit mode, there are heads, costumes, moves, taunts, etc for most popular Americans, so you can easily make Hogan, Austin, Rock, etc...

There are lots of moves you wrestler can perform. Each edit has:

- 13 grapple moves
- 6 back grapple moves
- 3 Irish whip moves
- 3 running moves
- 4 top rope moves
etc...

And for everyone of those situations, you can have up to hundreds to moves to choose from when creating your wrestler. The effectiveness of the moves is determined by the style you pick for your edit. So if you pick an Andre the Giant or Great Khali type, dont expect to fly very far if you go off the top rope.

You can make Juniors, luchadors, shooters, mma types, technical wrestlers etc.

there are other situational moves, like springboard to outside, running to outside, springboard into the ring, etc.

There are moves from the apron to the floor, theres a move you do to an opp on the apron, etc.

Theres a 'corner to center' move. Where your in the corner and your opp is in the middle of the ring. This is how you do Shawn Michaels 'Tuning up the band into the Superkick' move, or Keiji Muto/Great Mutas' shining wizard.

In general there are more moves than in a Smackdown game.

The ONLY thing that would possibly turn off anyone to this game is the very oldschool 2D graphics. But if you can get past that, this is the best wrestling game ever made.

well then i found my next new purchase. even for a 2d game the video someone posted here shows the game looks hot. and with those kinds of graphics on a ps2 you could easily have tons of wrestlers in ring at once whch would make royal rumble type matches awesome. that was always a letdown in 3d games. now just have keiji muto and jushin thunder liger in there and im set to get back into wrestling gaming. and thanks for the info people .

[quote name='lokizz']well then i found my next new purchase. even for a 2d game the video someone posted here shows the game looks hot. and with those kinds of graphics on a ps2 you could easily have tons of wrestlers in ring at once whch would make royal rumble type matches awesome. that was always a letdown in 3d games. now just have keiji muto and jushin thunder liger in there and im set to get back into wrestling gaming. and thanks for the info people .[/quote]

Both Muto and Liger are in the game.

The Battle Royal mode in the game supports up to 8 wresters at once. You can play pinfall/submit style, over the top rope (fall outside & your out), stay in even after defeat, and Rumble style where you set the time inbetween entrants (although still limited to 8 total).

Like Spike did for the American version of FPW2 on the GBA, I hope Spike adds some more American wrestlers to this release for the sake of it selling a little better in the in the Americas. More sales = better chance of future FPW or maybe even KOC titles coming to to us in the future . Of course the color palettes for those wrestlers under contract will have to be out of whack again, but I'm sure someone will create an edit that "fixes" the colors to resemble real life.

I just creamed my pants. Not a joke. Seriously.

Now I can finally lay my Dreamcast to rest. And also play an awesome FPW game without having to glance at a translation guide ever 10 seconds.

I pray to god they don't fuck this up like they did with Fire Pro Wrestling 2 / Final Fire Pro Wrestling for GBA. That big pile of dissapointment haunts me to this very day.

[quote name='Puffa469']http://ps2.ign.com/articles/811/811300p1.html

Looks like they are even translating and porting over the federation booker mode. I think this will be a very faithful translation and should make the fans happy.[/QUOTE]
Yep. Over at FPC, the Agetec localization rep pretty much said "no cuts" in one of his posts.

Found the Post
Raw Danger and Disaster report are very different games then Fire Pro. It seems you and I have a different idea of what “butchery” is. Rest assured the meat cleaver stays hidden in my desk this title and everything will be left “intact”.

The official press release:

Agetec to Release Fire Pro Wrestling Returns for Playstation2 System
By Agetec Inc.
Press Release -- This Content Was Not Created By GameSpot
Posted Aug 8, 2007 6:55 pm GMT

SUNNYVALE, CA – August 8, 2007 – Agetec, Inc. today announced that it will be publishing Fire Pro Wrestling Returns for the PlayStation2 computer entertainment system. Previously released only for the Game Boy Advance in North America, this will mark the first time the acclaimed series will be available on PlayStation 2 system in this country without visiting an importer.

Since 1989, the Fire Pro Wrestling series has been considered the gameplay benchmark that all other wrestling titles are compared to in Japan. Agetec's localization of Fire Pro Wrestling Returns for PlayStation 2 system– considered by fans to be the best of the entire series – will finally give gamers who have been hearing about this series for years the chance to experience its unparalleled depth and customization.

"We have been working for years to bring the Fire Pro series to North America," said Mark Johnson, producer for Agetec, Inc. "Now that we're finally cleared to publish the game, the real work begins. We're doing everything we can to make sure the game is translated successfully without taking away one iota from the gameplay that's made this Fire Pro a fan favorite."

Fire Pro Wrestling Returns will be released for the PlayStation 2 system in North America in during the holiday season of this year.

About AGETEC, Inc. Agetec, Inc., based in Sunnyvale, California, is a world-class publisher of award-winning software for the North American video game market. Agetec publishes many well-known brand titles for the Nintendo and PlayStaion platforms, including: "PoPoLoCrois", "WILD ARMS Alter Code: F", "King's Field," "The Adventures of Cookie and Cream," "Bass Landing," "RPG Maker," and the "Armored Core" game series.

[quote name='Halo05']I'm so amped I just delivered a flying headbutt to my sleeping friend. GOOD MORNING SUNSHINE![/quote]

did you >CRITICAL!< them?

I've heard so much about this game, but have never had a chance to try any of them. Will definitely be keeping an eye out for this one.

EDIT: MY GAWD, FPW, where have you been all my life? I can't believe I've overlooked this game in the past. This game already has me convinced, and it only took me about an hour after I read this topic.

I hope someone comes out with something that lets you import PS2 saves through the PS3 for this game. I'm running on all virtual memory cards at this point and while it's still a no-brainer to buy this, I'll be bummed out if I miss out on the creations that people come up with. That and renaming/recoloring everyone myself will be a pain.

bread's done
Back