XBOX360 Price Drops for all versions - $449/$349/$279 - Premiums Now Sporting HDMI

DX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Official Press Release:

...Family of Consoles
Xbox 360 will enhance the value of its entire family of consoles beginning on August 8. At a new price of $349.99, Xbox 360 offers an unsurpassed experience right out of the box with a 20 GB hard drive, Wireless Controller, Xbox 360 Headset, and more.

If you're looking for the ultimate value and the freedom to customize your console as you see fit, Xbox 360 Core System now has an estimated retail price of $279.99. Xbox 360 Core System provides everything you need to hit the ground running, while giving you the ability to expand with new features and accessories you want.

Dressed in black and equipped with a 120GB hard drive, Xbox 360 Elite will be priced at $449.99 if you want the premium games and entertainment experience.

In anticipation of this year's largest blockbuster game launch, the Xbox 360 Halo 3 Special Edition Console will hit store shelves in September with a price of $399.99. Featuring an authentic Spartan green-and-gold finish, this console includes a matching Xbox 360 Wireless Controller, 20GB hard drive, Xbox 360 Headset, 360 Play & Charge Kit, and more.
Full Press Release: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/news/2007/0806-consoleprice.htm
LinkinPrime Edit

Circuit City confirms price drop on all 3 versions:

ccproof.jpg

Elite - $449.99
Premium - $349.99
Core - $279.99
http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/07/31/circuit-city-ad-confirms-360-price-drop-on-all-models/

Wal Mart ad
rollbackyo2.jpg

CheapyD Edit: It appears this image originated from Sith Ninja at Modojo

Not "huge" but $50 is $50.

Thanks to Ugamer X for the picture:

Toys R Us Ad

via ugamer and zoo

Doesn't look like any Wal-Mart ad I've ever seen. Besides, this could be a clearance to make room for the more reliable units.

[quote name='KingBroly'] Besides, this could be a clearance to make room for the more reliable units.[/quote]

I highly doubt that.

[quote name='OGHowie']If it's a drop it's a drop. We just need to know what the dates are for this ad.[/QUOTE]

Actually I work at WM but am currently on vacation. I will be dropping by my store tomorrow and Ill peek at the ad for exact dates.

The price needs to drop more, considering you have to shell out for a wireless adapter and no hi-def DVD player plus it's out over a year. I got my 360 back from repair today, all that time away, don't really feel like playing anything on it yet. Still enjoying Zelda on the Wii.

[quote name='azortex']Still enjoying Zelda on the Wii.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't that just mean there's nothing new to play? :D

Depends on when the Wii was bought and if there were only enough funds for Zelda. I bought my Wii with Zelda on launch and couldn't afford Rayman or Red Steel. :p

[quote name='azortex']The price needs to drop more, considering you have to shell out for a wireless adapter and no hi-def DVD player plus it's out over a year. I got my 360 back from repair today, all that time away, don't really feel like playing anything on it yet. Still enjoying Zelda on the Wii.[/QUOTE]

If this is a "true" drop, the fact that it is even happening is a gift, imho. If the ad is a perm drop, then $50 on the "lower tier" system isn't bad. There's no need for MS to counter the Sony move since the Sony move eliminates itself. In fact, I gather the main reason Sony has mentioned that there move just changed what version was "the main version" was so MS did NOT drop the price and make things even tougher for Sony...

I didn't get the Wii and PS3 until recently. 360 got 3 Red Rings, got bored and bought the other two systems. Zelda's my first game, RE4 will be my 2nd Wii (currently in the mail.) PS3 waiting for a HDMI cable I got off eBay for $7 shipped, Sigma is the only game I have for that one. So no rush to play PS3, I liked that Amazon deal.

I'm not very far into Zelda, I'm at the stage where Link meets the wacky mailman with a flag in Hyrule Fields.

[quote name='Tsukento'] I bought my Wii with Zelda on launch and couldn't afford Rayman or Red Steel. :p[/quote]

Thats a good thing too, because Red Steel is terrible.

[quote name='Reikon']Doesn't that just mean there's nothing new to play? :D[/QUOTE]

My xbox just died. So I need another. TPs dungeons are huge. But the boss battles are lame. Shadow of the colossus did it better.

Any other Wii games that aren't zelda or vc?

[quote name='shadowrage']My xbox just died. So I need another. TPs dungeons are huge. But the boss battles are lame. Shadow of the colossus did it better.

Any other Wii games that aren't zelda or vc?[/quote]

Just get yours fixed.

[quote name='shadowrage']My xbox just died. So I need another.[/quote]

Why in the heck would you go out and BUY another xbox? Especially when it's warrantied until oblivion.

My Wal-Mart has 360's for $480/$380/$280 anyway. I suspect this is a temp drop or clearance. When rumored, it said the the retail world would drop the price $50. That doesn't sound official to me.

Besides, $50 isn't enough. And it's not going to tempt people away from the Wii because the Core sucks, no matter the price.

What's vc? I'm looking at Paper Mario, I'll wait for a good deal for that one. If you want to talk about nothing new to play, you can talk about PS3. The good thing for me is I never own a PS2 so I can play a lot of old titles there.

Personally, I was planning on getting a refurb'd one, maybe I'll wait to see if those prices react to this drop as well.

Walmart posted the ad effective 7/29-8/4 on their site and there's no mention of any Xbox360 in it. Just a PS2, normal price and a few games, no deals as far as I can tell.

[quote name='mitch079']Walmart posted the ad effective 7/29-8/4 on their site and there's no mention of any Xbox360 in it. Just a PS2, normal price and a few games, no deals as far as I can tell.[/QUOTE]

From what panasonic said its for the August 8th ad.

The $50 drop in August is being rumored pretty heavy. It's most likely going to happen, it's just a matter of the date. I just bought a second one in June, but ah well. Now if just either of them worked properly. GPU's going out on the first without the deceny of giving me a RROD (so I don't have to pay $100 to have it fixed) and the second one's disk drive sucks so I can't use it vertically without scratching my discs which puts undue stress on the hard drive. You know, I hate Nintendo. I despise where they are driving the industry, but I've owned a NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Game boy, Game Boy pocket, Game Boy Advance SP, DS, and a Virtual Boy and the only one of those I've every had a problem with was the original GB (had the pixel lines dying problem) which Nintendo fixed, for free, and without having to mail it to Texas and wait three months to get it back. On the other hand, my PS1, PS2, Xbox, 360, and Dreamcast all have either died or developed SERIOUS issues. Yet my TurboDuo, Mega LD, Saturn, and 3DO still work perfectly fine. What, do they just not make them like they used to? Sorry, I know most of that was OT, but I'm just pissed that neither of my 360s are worth a crap. Which wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't the best system, BY FAR, except for that, you know, little problem of a 33%+ failure rate...

[quote name='Sgt Grumbles']Oooookay. Any indication as to when that price would go into effect?[/QUOTE]
I heard by August 8th it should be official. It was announced on G4 on the show "The Feed". That ad is official. Good sign for things to come. The console wars are really heating up now. C'mon Nintendo follow suit. Ha Ha!

[quote name='ricoraney']C'mon Nintendo follow suit. Ha Ha![/quote]Nintendo can't keep the Wii on store shelves at its current price of $250. Every shipment is sold out in a matter of hours unless you're in the middle of nowhere.

What possible reason would Nintendo have to drop the price?

Yeah I can confirm this is in the August 8th ad. I'm just not sure if they are dropping all consoles like the Elite, but the premium is a must and I'm pretty sure It's the core to.

toys r us has been running a $50 gift card with xbox360 system purchase for awhile now - that might be the place to go if the deal continues following the msrp drop.

[quote name='coolz481']toys r us has been running a $50 gift card with xbox360 system purchase for awhile now - that might be the place to go if the deal continues following the msrp drop.[/QUOTE]

Nice . . .

If only Circuit City would throw in a free (but returnable :) ) controller and I the $40 off coupon would fly and there were 5 free DVDs to sell off and I could sell my old Xbox.

Unfortunately, unlike the PS situation, I can't see selling off my Xbox . . . still with the drop and an added incentive (whether the TRU card or the CC coupon) getting the 360 into the $300 range would be cool.

I wonder why MS didn't announce this at E3 . . . and try to steal some of Sony's thunder?

[quote name='azortex']The price needs to drop more, considering you have to shell out for a wireless adapter [/quote]

That isn't a valid excuse that you need to buy a wireless adapter, because it has an ethernet port right on the back. If we are going to go that way, they why the hell doesn nintendo want me to buy a Ethernet port for my Wii? I don't use wireless internet.

[quote name='help1']That isn't a valid excuse that you need to buy a wireless adapter, because it has an ethernet port right on the back. If we are going to go that way, they why the hell doesn nintendo want me to buy a Ethernet port for my Wii? I don't use wireless internet.[/quote]

I think their excuse was a long while back is that they imagined the Wii to be a living room device so that it can be enjoyed with the family and they didn't want to force people to run a 50 - 100 foot CAT5 ethernet cable from the room with the router to the Wii. I personally use wireless on all 3 current gen systems and I see no problem with it and I don't experience any major lag issues.

If it's the 8th, then I'm sure we'll have confirmation before then from someone like Speedy1961, with the ads for the 12th-18th. Any price drop that would happen on the 8th should be featured in the ads for the 12th-18th, like they had for the PS3 this month.

i hope it doesnt happen on the 8th, because I bought my elite on 7/8 and that would be one day past price match period!

when this happens if you can get it at toysrus with 50 gc that would be a a nice deal. also i'm pretty sure this is official and it will be a drop on each system. they did 50 because they wanted their core version to be the same price as the wii. I do hope they announce new chipset though along with this. im willing to sell my system just for a new chipset version.

I just can't wait til they release that rumored falcon chip with the 360...

hell, I'd buy it at regular its just this 33% failure rate I'm not to fond of

I'm canadian but hsould I wait and see or should I buy a premium with a 120gb hd for 470(canadian with shipping)? It doesn't really show the elite on the thing and I don't know what the price will be in canada.

If the Halo package is $350 I'll pick it up. That way I don't have to spend an extra hundred just for a damn HDMI port.

BTW, can you use an external third party HD weith the 360? plug it into a USB port?

[quote name='ricoraney']I heard by August 8th it should be official. It was announced on G4 on the show "The Feed". That ad is official. Good sign for things to come. The console wars are really heating up now. C'mon Nintendo follow suit. Ha Ha![/QUOTE]

G4s "The Feed" is just an RSS feed of Joystiq/Kotaku. They don't actually know or research anything on their own.

I'm not saying the drop won't happen (I'm pretty sure we've hit critical mass on the rumor front to say it almost certainly will) I'm just saying crediting G4 is like crediting an idiot monkey who can open a pre-tabbed firefox browser.

Problem with Toy's R Us is I just found out mine (and possibly all?) don't carry the Elite model. The price drop is nice (although if it covers the Elite, it's still sort of a price increase), but I'm waiting for a redesign that's QUIET and hopefully fixes the reliability issues before I replace mine.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']If the Halo package is $350 I'll pick it up. That way I don't have to spend an extra hundred just for a damn HDMI port.

BTW, can you use an external third party HD weith the 360? plug it into a USB port?[/QUOTE]

No, that's the PS3 that lets you do that. Microsoft wants you to use their peripherals.

MS has always acknowledged that a much lower price was the magical selling point, so this would nudge them in that direction.

[quote name='Corvin']wow. Speedy has some competition. lol[/QUOTE]

No competition. Its a CAG thing, trying to help this community grow and save money for gamers.

Ill head to my store today and see if we got the ad in and Ill post my findings.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']If the Halo package is $350 I'll pick it up. That way I don't have to spend an extra hundred just for a damn HDMI port.

BTW, can you use an external third party HD weith the 360? plug it into a USB port?[/QUOTE]

Is Halo going to be a pack-in? . . .

Based on past performance . . . it will be $50 more for the Halo 3 edition.

[quote name='schultzed']Is Halo going to be a pack-in? . . .

Based on past performance . . . it will be $50 more for the Halo 3 edition.[/quote]

Nope, the game isn't included.

Sweeet. It's about time. I know they are supposed to release new ones with new chips or whatever, but who knows how long you'll be waiting for that. Get one, it goes down, big deal, you get it fixed for free. :D

[quote name='DX']
rollbackyo2.jpg

Wal Mart ad.

Not "huge" but $50 is $50.[/quote]

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade here, but I feel something's missing from it...

Oh yeah! No mention of cents on the 360, while everything else has it.

bread's done
Back