Can I have two separate cable internet connections in one house?

Lieutenant Dan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
I'm looking at an apartment that's on the first floor of this guy's house. He pays for all utilities, including cable, but I can't use his cable internet connection. Would I be able to somehow get another subscription and not be piggybacking off of his connection?

Unless your cable provider decided to run a second cable feed to your house, then I think not. You'd have to check with the cable provider to see if it's possible to get two cable modem feeds at a single residence.

If he's paying for all the utilities, then I would guess that covers phone, and therefore locks you out of getting DSL, unless you can have him get it for you and pay him for the DSL connection.

Beyond that, I think you're out of luck, unless Verizon provides naked DSL in your area.

Sorry, he doesn't pay for the telephone, I just wasn't figuring that in because I would just use my cell. It would be hard to step down to DSL though. Would I have to have regular phone service to be able to get DSL?

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']It would be hard to step down to DSL though.[/QUOTE]

You realize in many cases DSL service is faster than cable internet when you compare real-life speeds.. right?

[quote name='munch']Is the guy just a dick and won't let you share his connection?[/quote]

He's actually really cool, I like him so far. I'm not sure why he wouldn't let me share, but I don't know if I'd want to make his connection crawl; I do the torrent thing a lot and use xbox live.

As for real life DSL speeds, how do I know how fast it would be?

Thanks for the help guys.

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']He's actually really cool, I like him so far. I'm not sure why he wouldn't let me share, but I don't know if I'd want to make his connection crawl; I do the torrent thing a lot and use xbox live.

As for real life DSL speeds, how do I know how fast it would be?

Thanks for the help guys.[/quote]
Depends on how far you are from the remote terminal or central office where your DSL connection would terminate.

Toss in the guy's phone # into the Verizon site and have them tell you what speeds are available. I've had DSL for 4+ years and have no issues with XBL at all. For raw downloading speed, cable will always be a better option for higher top speed, though it's not an option in this case.

Would be a lot easier to have your DSL connection be separate, though you'd need to check with the Verizon and see if having a completely separate line would be the preferred way to go for your DSL connection or if there wouldn't be any issues with you using the existing phone line for DSL and just have it billed directly to you instead of on his phone #.

I've had both DSL and Cable. DSL is fine for gaming and downloading off servers but it sucked ass for torrents. I remember maxing out at 4 (four) kb/second. I switched to 5MB Cable and easily get 750 kb/seconds. I'm not sure why the huge disparity but I think it has to do with the way DSL handles torrents.

[quote name='Kendro']I remember maxing out at 4 (four) kb/second. I switched to 5MB Cable and easily get 750 kb/seconds. I'm not sure why the huge disparity but I think it has to do with the way DSL handles torrents.[/quote]

Torrent speeds are also related to how many people are sharing, you know.

I use Comcast and have two seperate cable connections with internet on both. Not sure about other cable outlets, but it works fine for me.

There's a way to do it, just not sure on the logistics. When I was on some student housing a few years back we shared a 4 room apartment and each got our own bill each month from Brighthouse.

Again, it's better if the OP contacts his cable company and see what they have to say about running two different cable modem connections at one residence.

bread's done
Back