CAG Foreplay #13: Merry BioShock Day to One and All (8/21/07)

shipwreck

Staff member
Feedback
91 (100%)
CAG's shipwreck & mrs. shipwreck preview the new releases for the week of August 21st, 2007. This week we cover the games that will go down in history as being released the same week as BioShock.

You can now subscribe to Foreplay on iTunes by clicking this link: CAG Foreplay on iTunes

You can now also contact us with any questions or comments at [email protected] or [email protected].

Show Notes:
Intro Music: Shinobi III: The Return of the Ninja Master 0:00
Mouse Hunt 0:40
Holiday Season 1:37
MetropolisMania 2 2:06
Musika 2:19
More suggestions for hoofrog's wife 3:36
Down with the Ships 4:44
Touch Detective 4:44
Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon 5:53
Piyotama 7:40
Rune Factory Theme Song 9:31
Uno 11:57
Carcassonne 12:35
Ninja Five-O 13:50
GameStop GBA Drops 14:21
Car Battler Joe 15:00
Urban Yeti 18:13
Toys R Us Shopping 23:27
25th Anniversary GI Joes 23:45
Randamn the Torpedoes 24:10
Lord of the Rings: The Third Age 25:00
Contest 27:27
New Releases 28:53
BioShock 28:53
Brain Age 2 32:01
Jeanne D'Arc 34:05
Brunswick Pro Bowling 36:14
Dragoneer's Aria 37:22
The Settlers 41:03
I Spy Fun House 43:37
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 45:05
Turn It Around 46:03
Two Worlds 47:13
On The DL 49:31
Neutopia 50:10
Shinobi III: The Return of the Ninja Master 51:23
Super Metroid 52:25
Space Giraffe 53:44
Street Trace: NYC 55:05
Wrap Up
Outro Music: Tempest 2000 - Scobie Mix

[media]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/podcast/cagforeplay13.mp3[/media] [digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAG_Foreplay[/digg]

BioShock Dev. Irrational Games Pub. 2K Games Systems: PC, 360 MSRP: $49.99-$69.99
At this point, there's really not too much more to say about this sci-fi shooter under the sea. Gorgeous graphics, a compelling story, amazing atmosphere, and tight controls combine to form a game that is worthy of all the critical praise it has received. Enjoy everyone, and here's to hoping the boss doesn't see you leaving work early. - ship

Best Deal:
There are lots of deals to be had on Bioshock. Amazon, Circuit City, and Fry's are all selling the Xbox 360 version for $50. Circuit City is also selling the PC version for $40.

:360: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)
:360: Purchase At Family Video $52.99 (99 cent shipping)
:360: Purchase At Circuit City $49.99
:360: Purchase At Fry's $49.99
:pc: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)
:pc: Purchase At Family Video $46.99 (99 cent shipping)
:pc: Purchase At Circuit City $39.99

Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day Dev. Nintendo Pub. Nintendo Systems: DS MSRP: $19.99
I hear your mom has a birthday coming up. I'm sure she'd enjoy 17 new brain -teasing activities including "Days and Dates", "Determine the Time", and "Calculate the Height". I case you were wondering: it's Tuesday the 21st, around 6:30 AM, and I'm about 5'11". Oh, and tell her I said happy birthday. - ship

Best Deal:
Both Circuit City and Fry's are selling Brain Age 2 for $15 this week.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)
:ds: Purchase at Circuit City $14.99
:ds: See fidodido's Fry's ad $14.99

Brunswick Pro Bowling Dev. Point of View Pub. Crave Entertainment Systems: PS2, PSP MSRP: $14.99, $19.99
If real-time changing lane conditions and officially licensed Brunswick gear doesn't immerse you deep enough into the world of bowling, try cooking up a batch of fish sticks, putting them in a bowl, and then submerging your hands in the bowl for 15-20 minutes. There, now all ten faithfully recreated bowling alleys will be brought to life in a treat for all five senses. (Re-submerge as needed.) - ship

Best Deal:
Deep Discount saves you a dollar on each version of Brunswick Pro Bowling.

:psp: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)
:psp: Purchase At Family Video $19.99 (99 cent shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Deep Discount $18.99 (Free shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $14.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25
:ps2: Purchase At Family Video $12.99 (99 cent shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Deep Discount $13.99 (Free shipping)

Dragoneer's Aria Dev. Hitmaker Pub. NIS Systems: PSP MSRP: $39.99
The recent flood of portable RPGs continues with this turn-based title set in a world of fantasy. To try and set itself apart from the crowd, Dragoneer's Aria features an impressively deep battle system and a monster soul capturing aspect that allows you to use these captured monsters as summons. Okay, so not entirely unique, but there are Dragons and a popular crossword puzzle answer in the title. - ship

Best Deal:
There aren't any great deals on Dragoneer's Aria but EB/Gamestop is offering a free art book.

:psp: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Family Video $38.46 (99 cent shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Deep Discount $38.99 (Free shipping)
:psp: Purchase At EB Games $39.99 (Bonus Art Book)

I Spy Fun House Dev. Big Blue Bubble Pub. Scholastic Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
Based upon the book of the same name, parents can feel good thinking their kids are playing a game that is teaching them something. I've never been certain what you learn from these Where's Waldo-esque books, but get to staring and pointing my impressionable youth. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for I Spy Fun House.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:ds: Purchase At Family Video $28.84 (99 cent shipping)
:ds: Purchase At Deep Discount $28.99 (Free shipping)

Jeanne D'Arc Dev. SCEJ Pub. SCEA Systems: PSP MSRP: $29.99
This strategy RPG title has a fantasy spin based loosely on Joan of Arc and is brought to you by the makers of Dark Cloud (Level-5). Set in the 100 Years War being fought between France and England, you play as the 17-year old Jeanne and her mystical friends. Instead of being limited to a few chosen moves that each character is assigned, the game uses skill stones that can be changed to alter each party member's killer moves. Also, there are great side missions to make for lengthy entertainment. There's more to the gameplay than can fit into this brief preview, so here's what you need to know: the game is well balanced between strategy and fast-paced RPG battles, the graphics look phenomenal, and the game is getting 9.0 and up ratings. So, for only $30, this game belongs in your PSP library. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Jeanne D'Arc.

:psp: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Family Video $27.64 (99 cent shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Deep Discount $28.99 (Free shipping)

Metropolismania 2 Dev. Crave Entertainment Pub. Natsume Systems: PS2 MSRP: $14.99
(Deja Preview) Yes, there was a Metropolismania. No, it's not a Superman puzzle game (which would be sweet!). It's Sim City with dated graphics and more personal gameplay. Build your city, convince people to live in it, talk to them, and receive gifts. So, if you were looking for Truman Show/Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Volleyball minus the volleyball/RollerCoaster Tycoon without the coasters, then this game for the last generation PS2 is yours for only $15! Score! - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
Deep Discount is offering Metropolismania 2 for $14 shipped.

:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $14.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)
:ps2: Purchase At Family Video $14.99 (99 cent shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Deep Discount $13.99 (Free shipping)

The Settlers Dev. Blue Byte Pub. Ubi Soft Systems: DS MSRP: $
I have to confess, I really wanted this game to be an Oregon Trail knock-off. I mean, the DS touch screen would be awesome for shooting those little squirrels, wouldn't it? But alas, this title is a RTS similar to Age of Empires. It was, however, originally a PC game. Rumor has it that this game is chock full of dull moments of gameplay, so you might want to wait for some additional reviews before spending your cash. The reviews coming from Europe aren't at all favorable. Alas, Little Jenny has cholera. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
The Settlers is a EB/Gamestop exclusive so there are no deals at this time.

:ds: Purchase At EB Games $29.99

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 Dev. Ubi Soft Pub. Ubi Soft Systems: PSP, PS3 MSRP: $39.99, $59.99
Five months gets you some added motion controls for the PS3 and local co-op play on the PSP. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for GRAW 2.

:psp: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Family Video $38.46 (99 cent shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Deep Discount $38.99 (Free shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Family Video $57.68 (99 cent shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Deep Discount $58.99 (Free shipping)

Turn It Around! Dev. Majesco Pub. Majesco Systems: DS MSRP: $19.99
For some really crazy screen shots, check out Turn It Around! for the DS. This new title is a mini-game compilation in which all the mini games are based on a rotating motion. The touch screen is transformed into a turn wheel, and the gamer must use the wheel to hit home runs, destroy blocks, and perform other random tasks in one of 24 mini-games. The title looks like fun and is only $20, but might get bowled over by the recognizable Brain Age II also coming out this week. If you or someone you love digs these mini game compilations, this one might be worth checking out! - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Turn It Around.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $19 (Free shipping on orders over $25)
:ds: Purchase At Family Video $19.99 (99 cent shipping)
:ds: Purchase At Deep Discount $18.99 (Free shipping)

Two Worlds Dev. Reality Pump Pub. South Peak Interactive Systems: PC, 360 MSRP: $49.99-$69.99
This RPG is widely known as the Oblivion knock-off. There are orcs, a huge map, dwarven armor, and the standard heroic storyline. There are even dragons and the ability to set traps. Overall, the game looks good. The graphics are nice, the battle system is as to be expected, and the world in which you play is cool. But ask me to give you one reason to buy this game instead of the Big O? I'm speechless. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
Fry's is selling the Xbox 360 version of Two Worlds for $50. Family Video is offering it for $54 shipped.

:360: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free shipping)
:360: Purchase At Family Video $52.99 (99 cent shipping)
:360: See fidodido's Fry's ad $49.99
:pc: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping
:pc: Purchase At Family Video $48.07 (99 cent shipping)
:360: Purchase At Amazon $69.99 (Free shipping)
:360: Purchase At Family Video $67.3 (99 cent shipping)
:pc: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free shipping)
:pc: Purchase At Family Video $57.68 (99 cent shipping)

On The DL with the Shipwrecks

Neutopia Systems: Wii MSRP: $6
Knock-offs aren't always bad. After all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. This TurboGrafx 16 title looks a bit, well a lot, like Zelda. Since I decided not to use my Wii Points on Paper Mario, I bought Neutopia for $6. And I played it.

Here's my commentary: A bad guy took the pretty girl. Whoa, I didn't see that one coming. And she's a Princess. Innovative. And there are 8 medallions. I must find them. If a baddie ever decided to hide all the artifact parts in one location, god helps us, I'd be lost. Ooooo, I have a sword. Sweet. In this strange land, the rupees are called gold. Seriously though, this game is good, entertaining, and well worth the $6. Plus, I've never played it before, so it's new. Sort of. - mrs. ship

Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master Systems: Wii MSRP: $8
Duh, we all knew the Ninja Master wouldn't be dead for long. I mean, he's a master for goodness sake. This game was originally released for the Genesis and is widely regarded as the best title in the series. But, as all good Sega games, it's part of the Sega Genesis Collection and should only be bought by those who don't own a PS2 or PS3 and who don't want twenty-something other good games along with it. - mrs. ship

Super Metroid Systems: Wii MSRP: $8
Samus returns in what is widely considered to be one of the greatest 2D action-adventure games of all-time. Get a refresher course before Metroid Prime 3 hits next week. - ship

Space Giraffe Systems: 360 MSRP: $5
Essentially a Tempest update with an extremely weird name, Space Giraffe looks to take you on a trippy even-toed ungulate experience. See bright lights, hit the fire button, hear techno music, hit the fire button, convulse uncontrollably on the floor, hit the fire button. - ship

Street Trace: NYC Systems: 360 MSRP: $10
Combat, hoverboard racing. There just aren't enough of these niche titles. At least there's multiplayer, so you can race against your friends. That is, if any of them bought this game for $10. Try out the demo first. - mrs. ship

Did we miss a good sale on a game? Did we miss previewing a game completely? Well, the only way that everyone can know a better deal is out there is to let us know about it. Post deals you've found or games that we missed in the thread so that CAGs can make sure they are getting the absolute best prices on new releases.

Awesome!

Will listen a little later

EDIT: Happy Bioshock Day!!!!!!!!

EDIT 2.0: Great Show! great to hear about the GBA finds and your cats keeping the place on lockdown.

I'm about to go pick up Bioshock L.E. in a half hour.

What is this BioShock you speak of?

I was hoping 'The Settlers' was a Catan knock-off... we both lost. Where is our next gen Oregon Trail by the way?

51KA5CS56BL._AA280_.jpg

I hadn't really even heard of Two Worlds before now. I'm actually interested in it now. Being a Oblivion knock-off isn't a bad thing unless it's a Poorman's Oblivion knock-off. If it can deliver the same type of gameplay, that's a good thing because Oblivion is done (with the exception of the GOTY edition which will have the already released content) and some of us don't want to wait three years for more. Oblivion is a year and a half old... plenty of time for other developers to improve on that standard. Hopefully this game can live up to those who have played out Oblivion.

Your mention of a Where's Waldo game for the DS made me immediately think of Find Mii... a game which I loved and am hoping a sequel will be made with expanded play. But that also made me wonder: why Miis aren't available on the DS?? One of the best things about the Gamecube was the push for connectivity with the handheld system. So why isn't the DS more involved with the Wii? Especially since they both have built-in wi-fi! Being able to download your Mii seems like a no-brainer. There are loads of potential Mii-DS possibilities, such as a home on the DS that your Mii decorates with trophies awarded by playing Wii games. Please use your clout to make this happen.

As far as contests, how about:
Actually having a contest to name your "Random" segment.
or
A contest to come up with new segment ideas
or
Listeners can set a montage of Ship's mispronunciations to music!

I'm really anticipating the Two Worlds reviews because a Oblivion knock off seems to be good in my book. My wife has her own budget and I can "convince" her to get it... maybe.

Bioshock is going to be a eventual purchase for me but my budget is filled :(

BTW this is the first time I've listened to your show. It was enjoyable and also gave me a strong urge to hit up a EB/GS for Urban Yeti lol.

[quote name='meager']I hadn't really even heard of Two Worlds before now. I'm actually interested in it now. Being a Oblivion knock-off isn't a bad thing unless it's a Poorman's Oblivion knock-off. If it can deliver the same type of gameplay, that's a good thing because Oblivion is done (with the exception of the GOTY edition which will have the already released content) and some of us don't want to wait three years for more. Oblivion is a year and a half old... plenty of time for other developers to improve on that standard. Hopefully this game can live up to those who have played out Oblivion.
[/QUOTE]

Before you get your hopes up, watch some videos of the game in action and read some of the Euro impressions of the game.

[quote name='shipwreck']Space Giraffe looks to take you on a trippy dromedary experience[/quote]

The Dromedary is the single-humped camel. Not to be confused with the Bactrian, or two-humped camel, and certainly not be confused with a giraffe.

Other than that, the show was entertaining as usual.

Here's an FYI: Brain Age 2 also had a 2pm in-store at Circuit City. So, you could get it for free & $5 basically. All the stores in my area didn't have Brain Age 2 but had the bundle. Hint hint.

Contest ideas:

1. Best photoshopped picture of your mouse friend in its new outdoor paradise
2. Best Bioshock fan-fiction including Mr. & Mrs. Shipwreck as characters
3. Best Urban Yeti Haiku

"Turn It Around" sounds like a localization of "Mawasunda". Reviews weren't too kind, and it was available at Ren-Chi's last import clearance for 9.99. I know one CAG picked it up.

And it's "chock" full.

sorry. i don't want to be spelling police, but i can't help it

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']The Dromedary is the single-humped camel. Not to be confused with the Bactrian, or two-humped camel, and certainly not be confused with a giraffe.

Other than that, the show was entertaining as usual.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that. Somehow my mind made the jump from giraffe to camel.

[quote name='gunm']Did I miss the Luminous Arc impressions?[/QUOTE]

I got a little caught up in Car Battler Joe and wouldn't have had time to play it at all last week. I'll check to see if I can find a deal on it this week.

Great show, guys!

I'm amazed you have mice. My cat would never let one get by him. Or crickets, or anything else that moves. Of course, he also chases things he thinks he sees (that as far as I can tell don't exist), so maybe he's just a weird one.

I think the only way that 'Urban Yeti!' could be even better is to put a z on the end. Urban Yetiz! sounds so much better! ;)

For the segment on the games you're going through to see if you're going to keep, I like the name "Depth Charges." And, for the record, ship was WAAAAY too excited about Brunswick Pro Bowling.

Ship, please let us know if you find some deal on Luminous Arc (or even if you don't, what your impressions are). I'm guessing that like most Atlus games, if you don't buy that one early, you run the risk of not being able to find it again...

/tk

Ok, some quick thoughts:

- Turn it Around is a localized "Mawasunda" as someone stated. All you do is spin a turntable left or right, through various mini-games. That would be fun, but the wheel is unresponsive as hell. Arkanoid is a PITA that way. The game makes me fell like a hamster on a wheel, spinning, spining, spinning for no reason.

- Ship. I love hearing about your cheap $3-$5 finds. Finding a hidden treasure for less than ten bucks is this CAG's dream. If the Mrs. gives you crap about it, tell her that DesertEagle loves hearing about it. I'm sure there are a few other twisted souls out there.

- Congrats on lucky 13.

Some ran-damn nautical names for segments:
"Sailer's Delight" (Game of the week)
"Drop the Anchor" or "Down the Hatch"(Crap of the week to be sent 50 fathoms)
"Scuttlebutt" (Gaming gossip)

[quote name='traslin']Contest ideas:
1. Best photoshopped picture of your mouse friend in its new outdoor paradise
2. Best Bioshock fan-fiction including Mr. & Mrs. Shipwreck as characters
3. Best Urban Yeti Haiku[/QUOTE]
And what the rodents are playing...

spaceball.gif

My favorite game out of a series of eight is the only one with a girl lead, AND she doesn't wear a DD cup. Still unsure about my gender? ;)

Your last podcast pretty much just made my life. I've never been mentioned in the radio before--let alone fake internet radio!!

After listening to the bit where you mentioned me about 50 times, I suppose I should get along and listen to the rest of your show now...

[quote name='Sendell']My favorite game out of a series of eight is the only one with a girl lead, AND she doesn't wear a DD cup. Still unsure about my gender? ;)[/QUOTE]
Well... you don't have 100% gamerscore in UNO, so I'm guessing you can't be a girl ;)

[quote name='Sendell']My favorite game out of a series of eight is the only one with a girl lead, AND she doesn't wear a DD cup. Still unsure about my gender? ;)

Your last podcast pretty much just made my life. I've never been mentioned in the radio before--let alone fake internet radio!!

After listening to the bit where you mentioned me about 50 times, I suppose I should get along and listen to the rest of your show now...[/quote]

That's funny, I felt the same way when they mentioned me last week... and this week (thanks to you).

i must know, when are we going to see a picture of mr and mrs shipwreck??? it would be nice to put faces to the voices.

This week's show was much better than last weeks'. You both were very pleasant to listen to and the extra time spent on the clearance GBA games was nice. There are many games that are often overlooked and I think that you two should bring up an older game and review it or at least talk about it during Down With The Ships.

Interesting random choice - LOTR Third Age. I happen to be playing another LOTR game off my backlog: LOTR BFME II (for the 360). LOTR 3rd Age is nothing like that, of course. But I also have the GC version of LOTR 3rd Age on my eternal backlog :cry:. Maybe I'll give it a shot soon...

The Bioshock hype has gotten to me even though this is SO FAR from the type of game I'm normally into. I think I'll blow one of my free Coke Rewards Blockbuster rental coupons on it. YES, I'm willing to invert THAT MUCH into playing it :lol:. (Seriously, though, I usually save those for games for the kids so to use it on something like this is a bit of a change-up for me).

Still listening to the rest of the show - interesting comment about how everyone would be playing Bioshock and probably not listening. I thought everyone would be playing it today as well, but I checked around 6pm Pacific and of my 60+ friend's list (99% CAGs) only 12 people were on at all and of those, 5 were playing Bioshock, and 5 were playing the "skate." demo (the other 2 were playing Madden and Tenchu). I was fairly surprised I didn't see 20+ people playing Bioshock given all the hype here on CAG.

I'm guessing you didn't pick up Hexic 2. But if you're looking for someone to play Carcasonne with let me know. I got it when it first came out and haven't played it too much yet.

[quote name='io']Interesting random choice - LOTR Third Age. I happen to be playing another LOTR game off my backlog: LOTR BFME II (for the 360). LOTR 3rd Age is nothing like that, of course. But I also have the GC version of LOTR 3rd Age on my eternal backlog :cry:. Maybe I'll give it a shot soon...

The Bioshock hype has gotten to me even though this is SO FAR from the type of game I'm normally into. I think I'll blow one of my free Coke Rewards Blockbuster rental coupons on it. YES, I'm willing to invert THAT MUCH into playing it :lol:. (Seriously, though, I usually save those for games for the kids so to use it on something like this is a bit of a change-up for me).

Still listening to the rest of the show - interesting comment about how everyone would be playing Bioshock and probably not listening. I thought everyone would be playing it today as well, but I checked around 6pm Pacific and of my 60+ friend's list (99% CAGs) only 12 people were on at all and of those, 5 were playing Bioshock, and 5 were playing the "skate." demo (the other 2 were playing Madden and Tenchu). I was fairly surprised I didn't see 20+ people playing Bioshock given all the hype here on CAG.

I'm guessing you didn't pick up Hexic 2. But if you're looking for someone to play Carcasonne with let me know. I got it when it first came out and haven't played it too much yet.[/QUOTE]

Wow, my friends list had 26 people on last night and 18 of them were playing BioShock. I think 3 were playing the "skate." demo, 1 was playing Shrek the 3rd, another was playing Rayman Raving Rabbids, and I can't remember what the rest were playing.

Yeah, we haven't picked up Hexic 2 yet, but I still see that as a probable purchase sometime down the road. Super Puzzle Fighter is coming out next week, so I'm kind of waiting for that one for my $10 puzzle game.

[quote name='Pharrell1']i second pictures of the shipwrecks.[/quote]

Thirded. It is nice to put a face to the voice.

[quote name='Sendell']My favorite game out of a series of eight is the only one with a girl lead, AND she doesn't wear a DD cup. Still unsure about my gender? ;)[/quote]

*COUGH*King's Quest IV*COUGH*

After listening to the bit where you mentioned me about 50 times, I suppose I should get along and listen to the rest of your show now...

Thrilling, isn't it? The first time Cheapy answered one of my questions on the CAGcast, I got a huge grin on my face. Now it happens pretty regularly and I'm able to play it cool. But if my wife is in the car, she says "That's you!!!"

Anyway, great show, Ships. I too enjoyed the side trip to $5 GBA land. One of the things that I love about this show is the balance between new releases and obscure old ones. Keep it up!

Oh, and you don't have to use my suggestion of "Depth Charges," but please, PLEASE eschew "Randamn the Torpedoes." It was funny bad the first time I heard it. Now it's just bad bad.

[quote name='Tybee']*COUGH*King's Quest IV*COUGH*[/quote]
Oh, SNAP!! In my defense, I've only played 1, 2, 7, 8, and 9 (but the last one doesn't really count). I'll have to be more careful next time. If I'm going to be mentioned in the podcast, (helllzzz yeah!), I'll have to seriously make an effort to check my facts...

GASP--You should have a live call-in podcast!! Look at how many people got a warm, fuzzy feeling when they were mentioned in your show. Think about the countless number of CAGs who would feel like freaking celebrities if they got to speak with you live!!!! \\:D/

[quote name='Sendell']GASP--You should have a live call-in podcast!! Look at how many people got a warm, fuzzy feeling when they were mentioned in your show. Think about the countless number of CAGs who would feel like freaking celebrities if they got to speak with you live!!!! \\:D/[/quote]
Bite your tongue! They tried this multiple times on the CAGcast (and have threatened to try it again) and it almost killed the show. Listening to mouthbreathers who only want to hear the sound of their own voice does not make good radio and/or podcasts.

[quote name='Sendell']Oh, SNAP!! In my defense, I've only played 1, 2, 7, 8, and 9 (but the last one doesn't really count). I'll have to be more careful next time. If I'm going to be mentioned in the podcast, (helllzzz yeah!), I'll have to seriously make an effort to check my facts...

GASP--You should have a live call-in podcast!! Look at how many people got a warm, fuzzy feeling when they were mentioned in your show. Think about the countless number of CAGs who would feel like freaking celebrities if they got to speak with you live!!!! \\:D/[/quote]

OMG, you MUST play King's Quest VI! the sixth game is the best one in the series. the voice acting is superb and the puzzles are awesome.

[quote name='shipwreck']Wow, my friends list had 26 people on last night and 18 of them were playing BioShock. I think 3 were playing the "skate." demo, 1 was playing Shrek the 3rd, another was playing Rayman Raving Rabbids, and I can't remember what the rest were playing.
[/QUOTE]

OK, nearly 6pm Pacific. Probably a bit early for West Coasters to be delving into Bioshock, but prime time on the East Coast. I have 68 people on my FL, and all but 2 are CAG's (the other 2 are my boys who are playing SSBM now ;)).

I see 11 people on, and here's the breakdown:
Bioshock: 3
Dashboard: 2
HD-DVD: 1 (Hi Scobie!)
Halo 2: 1
Battlestations Midway: 1
Madden 08: 1
Call of Duty 3: 1
Saint's Row: 1

This is the day after release. I really thought people would be more into it. Maybe I've just picked 2 bad times to look. I'll have to check it out in a few hours. I suppose Bioshock is more of a late night thing. I know I'd have to play it after dark for sure ;). (Well, heck, I'd have it play it after 12 or so when everyone else is in bed)

[quote name='Tybee']Bite your tongue! They tried this multiple times on the CAGcast (and have threatened to try it again) and it almost killed the show. Listening to mouthbreathers who only want to hear the sound of their own voice does not make good radio and/or podcasts.[/quote]
Hahaha ok, ok. I'll retract that suggestion. I didn't think the live podcasts were THAT bad!! Maybe if the shipwrecks predetermined the guest list or something--chose a list of callers based on the questions people send in... There are plently of smart, witty CAGs around, and it would be cool to hear them speak on the podcast.

EDIT: I just realized how pompous I sound. I've been following this forum for over a year now, and I barely post anything. I have absolutely no reputation on these boards, and now I'm throwing around suggestions everywhere. They mention my name once in the podcast and it's all gone to my head... Oh, what fame has done to me... 8-[

[quote name='LiK']OMG, you MUST play King's Quest VI! the sixth game is the best one in the series. the voice acting is superb and the puzzles are awesome.[/quote]
Woops! I meant 1, 2, 6, 7, and 8. Thanks for the suggestion though, LiK--I actually pride myself on still owning my original copy of the Heir Today, Gone Tommorrow box. I have no idea where the game itself went, though...

Well, there goes my effort to confirm facts before posting. I just keep digging myself into a hole. :wall:

Thanks Shipwreck, now I have to hunt down Car Battler Joe.

As for the picture, I would be most disappointed if Shippy W does not have a beard.

I actually like the opening to Rune Factory. But I think the opening to Luminous Arc is even better.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksGAa7iI1So[/media]

Oh and for your contest, you should have people sing a video game opening song! I call the Burning Rangers theme in advance.

[quote name='2Dskillz']Thanks Shipwreck, now I have to hunt down Car Battler Joe.

As for the picture, I would be most disappointed if Shippy W does not have a beard.[/QUOTE]

From what I've seen of him on his XBL Vision Cam (during Bomberman play), Ship does NOT have a beard :lol:.

Update on the Bioshock playing habits of the CAG's on my FL: tonight at 8pm 3 people were playing it, and Shipwreck was one of those 3. Maybe this weekend will be Bioshock time for many people. I'll be away from my computer and games for the first time in nearly a year myself - the wife is forcing me to go to the beach. Well, I'll probably bring my DS and play Picross at night, so I guess I won't be entirely without them ;).

Hi there shipwrecks. I love listening to you guys every Tuesday morning when I get to work ^_^

I've got a suggestion though.. It might be neat to include some international releases for a bit of context on our own releases. Certainly including all releases would not be ideal, but perhaps some notable releases.. games that people may actual import themselves, or at least will find amusing.

like this week. Gyakuten Saiban 3 (aka Phoenix Wright 3) and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Ring of Fates were released in Japan for the DS.

also Chicken Shoot was released for the DS and Wii in Europe, this week.

gamefaqs has a decent list of upcoming release dates, and National Console Support (ncsx.com) gives a list of import and domestic games they'll be receiving that week on the Monday of that week.

I guess I'm off to hunt for Car Battler Joe now and possibly the rest of the trilogy.

As for contest ideas, how about one where we get to guess how much Shipwreck will spend on games between the current podcast and the next one. The important part is that it's just Shipwreck's spending being measured. It seems like every week Mrs. Shipwreck is surprised at how many games Shipwreck picks up without her knowledge.

Some Friendly advice on Rune Factory Mrs. Ship.. DO NOT build a hut for the monsters as they are USELESS in harvesting crops. You are much better off cropping the fields yourself with the stylus. Only get a monster hut after you upgraded your house so you can clear the caves with the help of monsters but that is it. Biggest mistake I made in the game.... I actually have no clue why I like that game lol. BTW that song in rune factory is definitley not oneof my favorites.... kinda annoying actually.

If you do add contests to your show, please do not make it anything involving the first person with the correct answer. That would be disadvantageous to listeners who are on different schedules.

Best contests would have entries judged by you two, or at least randomly selected from qualifiers.

Ninja Five-0 only has three levels?

shipwreck, did you beat the game in Easy Mode? Because Easy Mode was designed as a "training" mode of sorts, where you can only access the initial three levels (Bank, Docks, Airport). In order to access the final levels, you need to beat the initial three levels in Normal Mode. As for the "To Be Continued," I think this is similar to Elite Beat Agents, where you need to beat the game in the hardest difficulty to get a sort of "The End" message at the end.

You never said that the Adventures of Lolo is scary. I just jumped, when on the second level some guy shot something at me. Terrifiing

[quote name='Cao Cao']Ninja Five-0 only has three levels?

shipwreck, did you beat the game in Easy Mode? Because Easy Mode was designed as a "training" mode of sorts, where you can only access the initial three levels (Bank, Docks, Airport). In order to access the final levels, you need to beat the initial three levels in Normal Mode. As for the "To Be Continued," I think this is similar to Elite Beat Agents, where you need to beat the game in the hardest difficulty to get a sort of "The End" message at the end.[/QUOTE]

Come to think of it, yes, I only beat it on Easy and then started playing it on Normal, but got distracted by Urban Yeti. Now that I have that out of the way, maybe I'll go back and play through to see what levels I missed on Ninja Five-O.

[quote name='NateWhs152']You never said that the Adventures of Lolo is scary. I just jumped, when on the second level some guy shot something at me. Terrifiing[/QUOTE]

Haha, yeah, there can be some startling moments in it. It can also be very emo as sometimes you'll get stuck in situations so you'll have to kill yourself. I remember referring to the "Select" button as the "Suicide Button" when I was younger.

bread's done
Back