Memphis CAGs

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#31 greenwolfe7

greenwolfe7

I play with dinosaurs!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:27 PM

In the main deals thread there is an ad for a free 59.99 game at hastings with a 3 game trade in. I personally traded in 2 copies of WWE legends I got at Target for 7.48 and a copy of wanted 12.48 I got for a full copy Assassin's Creed 2 pre-order!

#32 SPIDERJOLT

SPIDERJOLT

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:06 PM

thanks I'm heading there tonight

#33 iKilledChewbacca

iKilledChewbacca

Trading Time Out (Under Investigation) Do not trade!

• Trading Timeout - Under Review

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:54 PM

We need to get this thread going again I live Collierville and I need some more games!!!

#34 nbballard

nbballard

glad you didnt say banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:46 PM

Anyone check out that new independent store on Germantown pkwy? It's right next to the Taco Bell in front of Bogey's.

#35 dreammastah

dreammastah

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:11 PM

That's Power Play Games. I've gone there a couple times. Good prices on used games, better trade in value than Gamestop. They'll also let you play any game you want before you buy it.

#36 Guest_grantme_*

Guest_grantme_*

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:16 PM

Hey all! Anyone getting Red Dead Redemption early?

#37 nbballard

nbballard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:37 AM

i'll be getting it whenever gamestop.com ships it to me.. so probably Thursday.

#38 iKilledChewbacca

iKilledChewbacca

Trading Time Out (Under Investigation) Do not trade!

• Trading Timeout - Under Review

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:48 AM

Hey all! Anyone getting Red Dead Redemption early?

No but I will be getting it on Tues. from gamestop so maybe we should make a Memphis Group for RDR :D

no nevermind there probably isnt enough of us

#39 thamaster24

thamaster24

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:00 AM

No but I will be getting it on Tues. from gamestop so maybe we should make a Memphis Group for RDR :D

no nevermind there probably isnt enough of us

Maybe there is, getting it Tues.
Posted Image

#40 nbballard

nbballard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:53 AM

i've got another friend in town that's getting it. I'm not big on competitive multiplayer, but I'm excited about the newly announced co-op missions.

#41 nbballard

nbballard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:04 AM

i should specify-- i'm getting it on the PS3. With the split between xbox and PS3, it's doubtful we'll have enough people just off this forum.

#42 Moltres423

Moltres423

Not easy being meaty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:09 AM

I'm from Memphis! The blockbuster on summer next to the KFC/Kroger/McDonalds has a bunch of used games for sale last I checked.

#43 Guest_grantme_*

Guest_grantme_*

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:43 AM

The Walmart in Whitehaven has Modnation Racers already on the shelves. Funny thing is I went in there yesterday for the midnight launch and today and they did not have Red Dead Redemption. I will not give Gamespot my money so it's Sears or Bestbuy for me.

#44 Moltres423

Moltres423

Not easy being meaty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:45 AM

You mean GameStop? GameSpot is a website .

Anyone been to a store called "PowerPlay Video Games" ? Its on 841 N Germantown Pwky. Was wondering what kind of store it is and the deals and such. =)

#45 nbballard

nbballard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:09 PM

The Walmart in Whitehaven has Modnation Racers already on the shelves. Funny thing is I went in there yesterday for the midnight launch and today and they did not have Red Dead Redemption. I will not give Gamespot my money so it's Sears or Bestbuy for me.

I have a long history of distrusting gamestop and I have plenty of reasons to hate them. Hell- i worked there in highschool, and when i came in for a shift one day the entire staff was different, and they refused to acknowledge that I worked there or give me my last check-- that some shady crap.

That said- gamestop.com is a different beast, and they've made some incredible strides to improve their business. Unfortunately, that still involves trade-ins to suppliment my online purchase.

Regarding Modnation Racers-- i doubt they'll sell those pre-launch. Most big stores have a control in their systems that prevent that kind of stuff. It'd be worth a shot though.

#46 Gut

Gut

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:39 PM

Well I am new to CAG and I live in Collierville, where there is never a deal!! :D

#47 Dillon627

Dillon627

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:04 PM

Munford CAG here.
Going to checkout the movie gallery off of HW51 tomorrow.

#48 greenwolfe7

greenwolfe7

I play with dinosaurs!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2010 - 04:38 PM

Munford CAG here.
Going to checkout the movie gallery off of HW51 tomorrow.

Whats up Dillon627 im from Munford too graduated 07.

#49 koolhand nick

koolhand nick

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:47 PM

Im from Jackson,but I do like Memphis game shopping.It seems the chain stores offer a bit more there.

#50 Tardcore

Tardcore

CAG Platinum+ Member

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:29 AM

Anyone from Cordova? I haven't lived there since 1996. I miss that place so much. Apparently, it grew overnight. There's like a shopping mall a mile from my old subdivision. Wolfchase Galleria I think it's called?

Does anyone from that area remember a game store called Boomerang Gameware? I use to go there all the time as a kid.

#51 Moltres423

Moltres423

Not easy being meaty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:44 AM

Anyone from Cordova? I haven't lived there since 1996. I miss that place so much. Apparently, it grew overnight. There's like a shopping mall a mile from my old subdivision. Wolfchase Galleria I think it's called?

Does anyone from that area remember a game store called Boomerang Gameware? I use to go there all the time as a kid.

Never heard of it. I was like 5 or 6 in 1996 though so I wouldn't remember it, but I don't think they're in business anymore.

#52 Tardcore

Tardcore

CAG Platinum+ Member

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:17 AM

They aren't. They use to be in the same shopping center as Hueys restaurant. This is the only thing I could find on the internet about them: http://www.trademark...e-74252748.html

#53 nbballard

nbballard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:24 PM

I was born in Memphis, but left for a few years (93-96- we lived in Duluth, GA). When we moved back we were in Cordova. All there was when we got there was the little cluster of shopping centers at Germantown and Dexter (Huey's, Boomerang and a grocery store across the street).

The mall popped up in 97 and everything exploded. You should get on Google Streetview and tab down Germantown pkwy. You won't recognize it at all. Also, Cordova was anexed into the city of Memphis a few years back, so it's not the nice place to live for avoiding city taxes while being close to it all. Now everyone is moving out to the next county and the sprawl continues.

Regarding Boomerang - In about 1999, Funcoland moved into town so there were some video game stores outside of malls (specializing in trades no less) so they didn't last too long after that. I used to love going up there and buying instruction manuals for old games out of a bin they had.
Spoiler

#54 Tardcore

Tardcore

CAG Platinum+ Member

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:52 PM

I had some great memories of that store. When the Sega CD first came out, they had some consoles set up on the back wall with a few games.

I'd go to them for games along with Target/K-Mart and another dead store, Service Merchandise. It was at Service Merchandise where I THINK I first played a 3DO. It was the last time I had ever seen that console since.

Anyway, I went to Chimney Rock elementary before I moved in 96 (born in 87). I lived in a subdivision what I now find quite hilarious, called "Morning Woods".

The last time I was in Memphis was 2002. Place was hardly recognizable. I do want to go back though 'cus I miss it.

So it got annexed, you say? Does it still exist under the Cordova name?

#55 nbballard

nbballard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:42 PM

I had some great memories of that store. When the Sega CD first came out, they had some consoles set up on the back wall with a few games.

I'd go to them for games along with Target/K-Mart and another dead store, Service Merchandise. It was at Service Merchandise where I THINK I first played a 3DO. It was the last time I had ever seen that console since.

Anyway, I went to Chimney Rock elementary before I moved in 96 (born in 87). I lived in a subdivision what I now find quite hilarious, called "Morning Woods".

The last time I was in Memphis was 2002. Place was hardly recognizable. I do want to go back though 'cus I miss it.

So it got annexed, you say? Does it still exist under the Cordova name?

Yes and No. "Cordova" is what I believe the postal service refers to as a "vanity address". It's Memphis, but for people having a hard time letting go, they can still have things mailed to "Cordova" and the postal service won't give them any trouble.

I know that neighborhood- the enterance is off Hwy64, isn't it? Kids used to always steal the letters off that sign.
Spoiler

#56 muffin1man

muffin1man

I love boobies.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:47 PM

Hey I'm from Memphis and it's cool to see there's a thread for us guys.

I do seem to remember seeing a commercial back in the day for Boomerang Gameware. I think they had a nice lil' jingle too.

#57 Tardcore

Tardcore

CAG Platinum+ Member

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:54 PM

I remember it.

"Booooomerang gamewaaaare... Boomerang Gamewaaaaare!"

#58 muffin1man

muffin1man

I love boobies.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

Not sure much of a deal but I saw Binary Domain for $20 at the Southaven Best Buy. Only 2-3 copies left in the 50% off section behind the game counter.