Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix Long-Ass Title

liquidcross

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I checked out the demo last night; not going to buy it yet, because a) I've still got the PS1 and GBA ports, and b) I don't have an HDTV yet. :(

Regardless...was anyone else annoyed that the in-game sprites are just up-rezzed, and not redrawn in HD like the backgrounds, character portraits, etc?

I'm disappointed, but it's understandable. It would have been an incredible amount of work, and during the game you're (hopefully) not looking at the chracters much, except out of the corner of your eye.

No voice support...........mother fuckers...

From Capcom forums:

As Seth mentioned, the PS3 version currently does not support voice (for the moment, it's kind of a pain to impliment but some new libraries may be available soon to make it a bit faster to impliment). We haven't committed adding it at this time but we are still considering it.

We still have localization to do for the PS3 European release (SCEE requires some localization which we hadn't anticipated) and it might be something we can sneak in that process. We'll keep you posted.

[quote name='dallow']No voice support...........mother fuckers...

From Capcom forums:

[/QUOTE]

That's annoying. I'll still be downloading it, as I have never played it otherwise and I enjoyed the demo. PSN still needs a good party game with voice chat, like Uno seems to be for XBLA.

its only 59 megs to be fair, the character sprites seem totally out of place on the crisp backgrounds.

really miss my street puzzle mode though.. that was lots of fun.

[quote name='dallow']No voice support...........mother fuckers...

From Capcom forums:

[/QUOTE]

no reason to get the ps3 version over the 360 version.

the whole "no voice chat" thing sucks. that should be pretty easy to implement and it's such a basic feature too. I wonder why sony is dragging ass on it.

[quote name='Apossum']no reason to get the ps3 version over the 360 version.[/quote]
Free online play.
the whole "no voice chat" thing sucks. that should be pretty easy to implement and it's such a basic feature too. I wonder why sony is dragging ass on it.
This is Capcom, not Sony.

I bought it yesterday along w/ Warhawk and Tekken Online and I think it's a great game. I would get it for my 360 but I am selling it on Tuesday.

[quote name='liquidcross']Free online play.
[/quote]

nah, you "pay" in lost features for Sony's service right now. hopefully it'll be better later.

This is Capcom, not Sony.

It's because sony's tools for implementing it suck. many devs have complained about this.

[quote name='Apossum']nah, you "pay" in lost features for Sony's service right now. hopefully it'll be better later.[/quote]
I'm not losing anything. I can play online for free, and it works great! Not to mention that it's faster and ad-free. ;) (I have a serious problem with gaming and advertising mixed together.)
It's because sony's tools for implementing it suck. many devs have complained about this.
If I do a bad job on a project at work, I can't blame my computer. Devs who've complained are just lazy. If Sony's SDKs are hard to use, too bad: figure it out anyway, as it's your job.

[quote name='liquidcross']I'm not losing anything. I can play online for free, and it works great! Not to mention that it's faster and ad-free. ;) (I have a serious problem with gaming and advertising mixed together.) [/quote]

That's good if all you want is what you get with the PS3. if you have both systems, you get more for your money with the 360 version. btw, there aren't any in game ads. and what's this about it being faster?

If I do a bad job on a project at work, I can't blame my computer. Devs who've complained are just lazy. If Sony's SDKs are hard to use, too bad: figure it out anyway, as it's your job.

that's a pretty short sighted way of looking at it though. I doubt the team wanted to cut voice chat out, as they included it on the 360 version. Now the PS3 version, which is the same price, looks worse. It's obvious that Microsoft's tools were good enough to allow the team to implement voice chat in an easy and cheap enough way to allow them to make it for launch. Sony's tools are obviously lacking in that regard. If they're professionals hired by capcom, they probably know what to do-- that doesn't mean it happens instantly. From the way the guy worded the post, it came down to a time issue.

would you blame it on yourself if your boss assigned you a project that couldn't be done properly in the time he allotted? hopefully not.

dang... if no voice chat.. y bother put 'RATED E , Game experience may change during online play'...there is nothing change... no trash talkin at all or least let me say Good GAME....

I don't really care. I love the game too much to pass it up. I've been wanting the game forever and just couldn't pass it up.

Glad to see you here liquid. :)

[quote name='foo33333']dang... if no voice chat.. y bother put 'RATED E , Game experience may change during online play'...there is nothing change... no trash talkin at all or least let me say Good GAME....[/quote]Writin' naughty words with colored gems.

[quote name='Apossum']no reason to get the ps3 version over the 360 version. [/quote]Some of us don't want to play the game on a shitty D-pad and a console that's liable to breakdown anyday.

No, implementing voicechat isn't easy in PS3 games and it's somewhat costly too.

[quote name='Apossum']nah, you "pay" in lost features for Sony's service right now. hopefully it'll be better later.[/quote]There is no reason we should be paying for laggy P2P online play. The features we get with PS3 are almost as good. You're just wearing your 360 glasses again.
No, only EA and other devs who try porting a 360 game to PS3, because that's hard to do. There are other devs who feel Sony's PS3 tools are fantastic. Implementing voicechat can be done, but it just takes some work.
[quote name='Apossum']That's good if all you want is what you get with the PS3. if you have both systems, you get more for your money with the 360 version. btw, there aren't any in game ads. and what's this about it being faster? [/quote]Not really, because I don't care for "nerd points", and I want a functioning D-pad. If you can't play a game properly, then it's unplayable. Analog stick is too sensitive while the D-pad isn't responsive. Plus, the PS3 download is smaller and takes up less HDD space.

that's a pretty short sighted way of looking at it though.
No, your point of view is always short sighted.
I doubt the team wanted to cut voice chat out, as they included it on the 360 version.
They could have implemented it but chose not too. However, I don't really care. A functioning D-pad is more important.
Now the PS3 version, which is the same price, looks worse.
WTF are you smoking. Both versions look identical. If anything, the PS3 version looks better for me since my PS3 is connected via HDMI while my 360 is component. There is zero difference otherwise in both versions graphically.
It's obvious that Microsoft's tools were good enough to allow the team to implement voice chat in an easy and cheap enough way to allow them to make it for launch.
MS is a software company, duh.
Sony's tools are obviously lacking in that regard.
Sony's edge tools are pretty good. They are not as easy as Microsoft's mostly because developing on PS3 is different. MS could provide crappy tools, but it would still be easier due to it having a PC architecture.
would you blame it on yourself if your boss assigned you a project that couldn't be done properly in the time he allotted? hopefully not.
Terrible comparison.

I love the new modes. Really is quirky and fun. I don't know how to spell quirky.

Anyway the voice chat doesn't bother me too much. Maybe it's because I don't have a working mic. I like the way the crystals look now. They look awesome.

I love how The Mana Knight has suddenly become a developer and magically knows how "easy" or "hard" it is to program things.

[quote name='mtxbass1']I love how The Mana Knight has suddenly become a developer and magically knows how "easy" or "hard" it is to program things.[/QUOTE]I happen to be a programmer myself actually.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I happen to be a programmer myself actually.[/quote]

ROFL. So you're a programmer now too?

TMK, you never cease to amaze me.

Edit: On Topic. I don't have a problem with the "low res" textures in the middle of the screen personally. Sure, they aren't quite as sharp, but this doesn't hurt the gameplay experience.

Meh, I don't care about the textures. I've been wanting this game forever since I couldn't find the PS1 version and had problems finding the GBA version. I kind of hated buying Puzzle World on PSP just for this game (also I wouldn't be able to play a friend locally).

Basically, I played both versions before buying, and came to the conclusion the PS3 version is better. Also, if I don't renew XBL (which there's a good chance I won't), then I can only play the PS3 one online.

Who is playing every night? ADD ME: Baby_Assassin3
WE MUST PLAY TOGETHER!! and i hate people play random puzzle drop... get distracted... haha!

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Some of us don't want to play the game on a shitty D-pad and a console that's liable to breakdown anyday.

No, implementing voicechat isn't easy in PS3 games and it's somewhat costly too.

There is no reason we should be paying for laggy P2P online play. The features we get with PS3 are almost as good. You're just wearing your 360 glasses again.
No, only EA and other devs who try porting a 360 game to PS3, because that's hard to do. There are other devs who feel Sony's PS3 tools are fantastic. Implementing voicechat can be done, but it just takes some work.
Not really, because I don't care for "nerd points", and I want a functioning D-pad. If you can't play a game properly, then it's unplayable. Analog stick is too sensitive while the D-pad isn't responsive. Plus, the PS3 download is smaller and takes up less HDD space.

No, your point of view is always short sighted.
They could have implemented it but chose not too. However, I don't really care. A functioning D-pad is more important.
WTF are you smoking. Both versions look identical. If anything, the PS3 version looks better for me since my PS3 is connected via HDMI while my 360 is component. There is zero difference otherwise in both versions graphically.
MS is a software company, duh.
Sony's edge tools are pretty good. They are not as easy as Microsoft's mostly because developing on PS3 is different. MS could provide crappy tools, but it would still be easier due to it having a PC architecture.
Terrible comparison.[/QUOTE]

yeah, I read your post, but you're just making mountains out of molehills and apologizing for sony. I like the PS3 too, but I'm not going to pretend it doesn't have problems for the sake of your peace of mind. Sony's online service is decent but I think anyone who owns both systems can see the big differences (except you.) I don't have "Xbox glasses" on. :roll:

I think the only valid objective point was about the d-pad, but you blew that completely out of proportion. also, by "looks" I meant the overall package.

christ, you're a one man gamefaqs.

[quote name='Apossum']yeah, I read your post, but you're just making mountains out of molehills and apologizing for sony. I like the PS3 too, but I'm not going to pretend it doesn't have problems for the sake of your peace of mind. Sony's online service is decent but I think anyone who owns both systems can see the big differences (except you.) I don't have "Xbox glasses" on. :roll:[/quote]Well, I know it may lack some of the features, but some games have zero lag online (such as MotorStorm and Resistance) and that's important to me. That's why I put the two on par, because some games have no lag (all XBL games have lag.

I think the only valid objective point was about the d-pad, but you blew that completely out of proportion. also, by "looks" I meant the overall package.
The only thing the 360 version has over the PS3 version is voicechat, that's it. Also, I forgot to mention, another advantage of the PS3 version is the 360 version attaches to your console. If you remove your HDD and put it on another console offline (or if your 360 breaks and you want to play the game offline) you're out of luck unless you call MS to get some really long code. With the PS3, I can download it again and not have any issues playing it offline on another console (like if my PS3 HDD was switched or got another PS3 console).

I picked up this title with no hesitation. I had the PS1 version and gave it to a good friend as a gift as soon as I learned this title will be released on my PS3.

I really enjoy the enhanced graphics on the explosions, and I don't have an Xbox 360 so I can't compare the two versions. The main thing that kept me away and keeps me away from the Xbox 360 is having to pay for Xbox Live, I honestly think it should be free with the system. Meh, but that is me.

I have not bought a single ps3 game since I bought the Ps3 but it seems I don't have to. I realized that as a casual gamer I have only really played seriously the biggies like resident evil, FF, devil may cry, MGS etc. all those other b-list third party sports, puzzle, and driving games I never really played except for the first few levels. Now with The PSN I can download them and play the demos which is almost the same as playing the real game. For example, I bought Ninja gaiden black for xbox but never even finished the first level but I played the Ninja gaiden sigma level demo and got even farther than I did on the xbox. also the super puzzle figher 2 demo is enough for me rather than buying the real thing. sure, I don't get all the amenities and modes but I wouldn't have delved into the game that deep in the first place. With the added bonus of downloading high definition movie trailers and makings of i think PSN is definitely a plus. Also, the web surfing is pretty awesome using the ps3 controller. I'm like 30 feet away while lying on my bed using the internet on my 65 inch hdtv. that's the most amazing thing to me. no more backaches from sitting at a chair using my computer to surf.

In about an hour or so, I'm game for a couple of matches for a bit. Need to take a break from studying. If anyone's up for a few rounds just pm me (Synical). I'll leave it idle to download trailers/demo's before playing. Well it'll either be this or actually try out Warhawk. Either way I'm up for anything.

Looks like I missed a lot. As for PSN being faster, I was referring to the fact that it's got far less lag than XBL, and supports far higher network speeds (due to the hardware).

Back on topic, don't get me wrong, the low-res sprites don't piss me off...it's just kinda jarring to see them.

Just downloaded this, one of my favorite games ever. I absolutely love it. Everything looks great. The low res sprites don't really bother me. Think of it as kind of a nostalgic leftover. :D

Are there some ports I need to open on my router to see more games listed, or is it just that nobody's playing this online/I'm online at the wrong times/everyone's playing Tekken instead?

[quote name='metaly']Are there some ports I need to open on my router to see more games listed, or is it just that nobody's playing this online/I'm online at the wrong times/everyone's playing Tekken instead?[/QUOTE]It can be hard to find games. However, since I own the game and you are on my buddy list, we can play sometime. :) Just shoot me a message on PSN sometime. :) Not tonight since I'm going on my PS3 soon (but only a few minutes before bed).

One trick I do on PSN to those in a game is, say what I want someone to do in the subject line (such as "Invite me", "Play Puzzle Fighter", etc.), because when the message notification appears, it says the subject.

I was just playing local multiplayer in this (Anita VS bat Morrigan I think?) and EVERY GEM was green. It was pretty much just a race for the first crash gem, and then it went back to normal in the next round.

I'm assuming it's just a crazy bug. Anyone had this happen before? Has this been around since the original version?

holy backpedaling batman, now that I'm 360-less (replacing it with a PC), looks like I'll be buying this version. :lol:

i don't think there's any way anyone would get the ps3 version over the 360, that's pretty silly. Not only is the game identical, the 360 includes voice which makes the quarter rooms much more interesting, instead of watching 2ppl who could be computer players go at it, you can chit chat about strategy, etc...You also have a much larger 360 userbase, there's alot more ppl to play against and higher caliber players. (most of the sf2 ppl also play puzzle fighter). No brainer for me.

[quote name='Alcedes']i don't think there's any way anyone would get the ps3 version over the 360, that's pretty silly. [/quote]No, it isn't silly. Anyone who says its silly is a 360 fanboy.

The 360 D-pad is terrible for 2D games. That's the main reason I went with the PS3 version, along with a higher probability of my PS3 being around (My 360 already broke).
Not only is the game identical, the 360 includes voice which makes the quarter rooms much more interesting, instead of watching 2ppl who could be computer players go at it, you can chit chat about strategy, etc...You also have a much larger 360 userbase, there's alot more ppl to play against and higher caliber players. (most of the sf2 ppl also play puzzle fighter). No brainer for me.
Not everyone has XBL Gold because not everyone wants to pay $50 a year.

Also, some of us like me don't care about voice chat (I rarely talk in online games with voicechat). Voicechat only makes games lag even more (due to it using more bandwidth or whatever), which is why I normally keep it off (like for Tekken 5 DR). I also have more PSN friends with the game than XBL friends.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']
Also, some of us like me don't care about voice chat (I rarely talk in online games with voicechat). Voicechat only makes games lag even more (due to it using more bandwidth or whatever), which is why I normally keep it off (like for Tekken 5 DR). I also have more PSN friends with the game than XBL friends.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. Voice chat isn't really that big of a deal, IMO. Truthfully, in a game like this, the most talking I would do is a 'good game' here or there, or an expletive.

[quote name='Apossum']holy backpedaling batman, now that I'm 360-less (replacing it with a PC), looks like I'll be buying this version. :lol:[/quote]
:lol: I guess the problems aren't so bad now, huh? ;)

I was playing the local multiplayer with a friend and it was a lot of fun despite the fact that we didn't know what was going on. Once we figured out that you can lower or return the amount of gems your friend sends your way, it was a lot easier to understand and better to play strategically. I think I'll have to pick it up this week.

*megabump*

I was just reading the Capcom blog and noticed this SPF2T announcement that seemingly went unnoticed by the rest of the Internet (probably because nobody plays SPF2T online):

An update for the US version of Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix on PlayStation Network went live this past weekend. Here’s the lowdown on what changed for my fellow Puzzle Fighter addicts:
–Voice Chat added!
–Localized for English, French, Italian, German, and Spanish
–A few oddball bugs got fixed as well, including one that personally annoyed me: Previously people did not get a loss if they lost connection (or *cough*pulled*cough*) in a ranked game. Now the, uh… “disconnected” will get a loss upon completion of their next ranked game.
This happened a week or two ago. Thought it might be some reason for people to dust off their SPF2T downloads, since, looking back on the thread, a lot of people complained about lack of voice chat.

Would anyone with the PS3 version be interested in playing the game online, maybe tonight?? Due to Burnout night getting pushed, I'm kind of thinking about this (since voice chat was added).

Sending invites is easy, since it supports the XMB (I can just type in names not on my buddy list).

I'm not too good. I'm thinking maybe 10pm EST (so people can watch Lost).

What I'll do is see how many are willing to play, then we'll see about having games against one another.

EDIT: I just went online to check setup, there can be up to four people in a room together, and we can reserve all slots. You can select friends, recent players, or just enter ANY PSN ID.

I'll look for you guys online around 10 EST. That's cool about the room feature. For some reason I thought this was strictly 1v1, but then again I've only ever done quick matching online.

If I can remember to get on then, I'm up for some Puzzle Fighter. I'm not sure you can get good at the game, just be luckier than the other guy.

bread's done
Back