Possible fix for Cheapy's 360?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GeekWhenSpoken2

GeekWhenSpoken2

GeekWhenSpoken2

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2007 - 04:04 PM

Hey Cheapy I read about this new product on engadget thought it might interest you or anyone else with RROD.

http://www.engadget....tly-new-screws/

#2 InuFaye

InuFaye

Posted 31 August 2007 - 05:08 PM

Im trying to understand why anyone would want to open it up and void the warranty when its free to send it back and get it replaced?

Help me out here.

#3 sugarhigh4242

sugarhigh4242

Posted 31 August 2007 - 05:46 PM

I fixed my red-ringed 360 by removing the X-clamps. But I just bought the screws at a hardware store. Its been working great for about 3 months.

Actually, Cheapy is probably making his 360 significantly worse by constantly doing the towel-trick. It can potentially damage other components in the system rendering it completely useless.

#4 GeekWhenSpoken2

GeekWhenSpoken2

GeekWhenSpoken2

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:02 PM

Im trying to understand why anyone would want to open it up and void the warranty when its free to send it back and get it replaced?

Help me out here.

With all of the people sending their 360s in for repairs only to later send in the so called "repaired" 360 back for repairs again and again. I think a more permanent fix does sound pretty interesting.

Definitely not for the faint of heart though.

#5 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:27 PM

Help me out here.

well, in Cheapy's case, he can't send it back to the US from Japan because of the potential shipping fees cuz MS might not reimburse him for it.

but i agree about US customers who open their systems, i guess some people can't stay away from their 360s for a few weeks. :bouncy: it might take longer to fix now, but they have a section on their site where you can track the status of the repairs.
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#6 GeekWhenSpoken2

GeekWhenSpoken2

GeekWhenSpoken2

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2007 - 08:28 PM

well, in Cheapy's case, he can't send it back to the US from Japan because of the potential shipping fees cuz MS might not reimburse him for it.

but i agree about US customers who open their systems, i guess some people can't stay away from their 360s for a few weeks. :bouncy: it might take longer to fix now, but they have a section on their site where you can track the status of the repairs.

Yeah they were saying on "the 1up show" that since MS put that website up it now takes around 7 weeks before you get your 360 back. I guess since they have admitted their fault and are dropping 1.5 bil on repairs there is no need to pay for overnight shipping.

#7 SAGExSDX

SAGExSDX

Made in Korea

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:40 AM

ive done the xclamp fix for 4 different 360s and havent had any of them fail since. it's a very easy fix. and very low cost (less than 10 bux for all the parts) the turnaround time is of course the most attractive part of the fix since u can have ur 360 up and running in about 30 minutes

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 CYRiX

CYRiX

Posted 12 September 2007 - 01:07 AM

cheapys gots the monies why would he care
I decided against buying some things I bidded on a lowball auction. Didn't know it'd be a big problem. Sue me.