Scrubking's GTA: San Andreas Impressions

Scrubking

CAGiversary!
Well, I finally got the game and I have to say that it is amazing. This is by far the best GTA out yet. I have put around 3 hours into it and I am very impressed.

The first thing I noticed is the language. The language is vicious. F-bombs and N-bombs are extremely abundant and are usually every other word. Although there are a lot of bad words the dialog is very good and the voice acting is great. Let me put it this way - so far everything they have said didn't seem out of place or gratuitous. Also listening to Sam Jackson is a treat.

Now for you whores out there the graphics are much improved overall. In some places the game will look a lot better than Vice and in other places it will look a lot worse than vice. The graphics are highly stylized and the color and lighting effects may take some adjusting. My biggest problem is the red haze that is taking me some time to get used to since everything seems red and it is hard to distinguish between some things. It is not red all the time - just during certain times of the day.

The game world is absolutely alive and amazing. There was some worry on my part as far as empty streets go, but rest assured that peds will appear during the right time of day and in the right places ie, don't go into a dark alley and expect tons of peds. So far I have seen ~15-20 peds on screen at the same time with around 6 cars - and no lag. The peds talk to each other (you can hear them talking), and to you. When they talk to you, you can respond kindly or harshly and if you respond harshly you may piss off the ped and start a fight with them. Peds are more detailed and better looking and some ladies now have a case of the jigglies - like hookers or bikini babes on the beach. Gang members flash signs and smoke weed (smoke and all), and chill by your car if you park near them. Recruiting members is awesome and doing drive bys with them is even better - something you really have to experience to understand the joy of. Cops are the BEST and they roll around busting other people on bikes, in cars or on foot, and no they just don't start chasing people for no reason - they have to be provoked. Criminals abound and muggers are back as well as carjackers so you better guard your things. I can't stress enough how alive this world is - it literally goes on without any input or provocation from you. Just walking around you will see people talking, cops busting, gangs fighting, muggers mugging, carjackers jacking and people living out their daily lives without you. Also peds seem to have more health than before, and if you start a fight with one and beat them near death they can get afraid and duck for mercy or run away.

Cars are a little different now, especially since you have to become good at driving. Each car feels different and unique enough that you notice. Now when cars explode a residual fire remains for a while after which makes it look a lot better. One thing that bugs me is the car camera angles and sometimes the default is too low or it gets low, almost to the floor, and I find it tedious to always have to fix the camera angle. Cars move really fast on the highway and it is really like a real highway. If you pull over you better hit the gas to get back in or risk getting smashed. On a funny note cops usually don't obey the traffic signs so they often roll through stops and red lights. Don't you hate it when they do that to you for real?

I wasn't sure what to expect with the new fighting system, but it is easy to adjust to and it was hardly any effort to get comfortable with. I like it a lot better than the old system. Recruits who roll with you stay back and never get in your way and they tell you when they are hurt and need to back off. They are a little slow to respond to commands or to follow you sometimes, but nothing too bad. They are their own entities for the most part anyway.

Well, those are my impression of some of the major stuff that I have witnessed. If you have a question about something maybe I can answer it.

didnt read it all.. scared of spoilers.. but is there indeed multiplayer in the game like previously reported? you can pm the answer if you feel people will not like you posting it out in the open... thanks!

OPM confirmed multiplayer as I am sure the other reviews have as well. Also there are no story spoilers in my impressions.

[quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='zewone']Great. I was waiting for a review from you.[/quote]

Heh, I'm just teasing so don't get upset, but this is like me posting a review of Halo 2 or KotOR 2... :rofl:

Time to break down the review!

**SPOILERS** (SPOILERS should be added to the thread title)

Now for you whores out there the graphics are much improved overall. In some places the game will look a lot better than Vice and in other places it will look a lot worse than vice.

If it can look a lot better and a lot worse, how can it be much improved?

My biggest problem is the red haze that is taking me some time to get used to since everything seems red and it is hard to distinguish between some things. It is not red all the time - just during certain times of the day.

Adjust your TV, it's an orange haze.. the sun also has a killer glare.

So far I have seen ~15-20 peds on screen at the same time with around 6 cars - and no lag.

Not sure what island you're living on, but if I have 5 peds on the screen and a few cars, there's noticeable slowdown.

Recruiting members is awesome and doing drive bys with them is even better

This I'll definately agree on.

I can't stress enough how alive this world is - it literally goes on without any input or provocation from you.

At times it's alive and kicking.. other times it's dead on arrival with sound so quiet you'd think the sound was on mute.

Just walking around you will see people talking, cops busting, gangs fighting, muggers mugging, carjackers jacking and people living out their daily lives without you.

I thought it was pretty awesome when I saw a car turn into a driveway and the guy get out.

Two player mode is awesome. My brother and I played that for two hours. He would drive and I would kneel on the top of the car with my pistol and do drive-bys. Then I found an uzi and we did real drive-bys.

One of the most awesome things was when I was riding my bike, minding my own business. I hear sirens and I'm like WTF, I didn't do anything.. and here comes this car FLYING by me.. and there goes a cop.. I was like whoaaa, that's pretty cool.

I love it so far, though. For all the hype, I'm suprised it held up. I spent four or five hours tonight just doing absolutely nothing. I mean, yeah, first mission.. but after than, exploring.

I even stole a weiner mobile.. woo!

A lot of your intrepretations of what I said are just wrong so maybe get a better grasp of what I said before trying to so quickly find fault. :roll:

[quote name='Scrubking']A lot of your intrepretations of what I said are just wrong so maybe get a better grasp of what I said before trying to so quickly find fault. :roll:[/quote]

Um.. what? So basically.. you're posting a review, and if someone disagrees with a legitimate point, you nosell and deny? What the hell?

Seriously, what did I interpret wrong?

i thought it was strange about the driving system also, it was almost like the camera used to automatically adjust when you got in or started driving in the previous games. now it takes longer for that to happen and you are better off doing it manually.

also, thank god that the eating/workout system is not tedious or annoying. i spent maybe 10 totaly minutes in the gym so far and i have no fat and "chiseled" status.

i put around 3 -4 hours into it also.

EDIT: fixed a typo

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Really having a hard time deciding between getting it now or waiting for the Xbox version.[/quote]

If you decide to wait, make sure you have no friends that have the PS2 version, that you never see the PS2 version in action, that you never read anything about the PS2 version, and that, most importantly, never play the PS2 version. As soon as you see/play it, you'll kill to have it. It's that good.

[quote name='Scorch'][quote name='SteveMcQ']Really having a hard time deciding between getting it now or waiting for the Xbox version.[/quote]

If you decide to wait, make sure you have no friends that have the PS2 version, that you never see the PS2 version in action, that you never read anything about the PS2 version, and that, most importantly, never play the PS2 version. As soon as you see/play it, you'll kill to have it. It's that good.[/quote]

That's how I feel about it now, although I'm making a concentrated effort to wait on this one - I have too many older games that are dying to be played.

[quote name='Scorch'][quote name='SteveMcQ']Really having a hard time deciding between getting it now or waiting for the Xbox version.[/quote]

If you decide to wait, make sure you have no friends that have the PS2 version, that you never see the PS2 version in action, that you never read anything about the PS2 version, and that, most importantly, never play the PS2 version. As soon as you see/play it, you'll kill to have it. It's that good.[/quote]

Now that's an endorsement if I ever did hear one. Should put that last lines on the cover.

That said, anyone that has played or know of the major differences between GTA(III and Vice City) PS2 and Xbox versions? Has the little problems (whatever they may be) on the PS2 fixed on the subsequent Xbox version?

[quote name='SteveMcQ'][quote name='Scorch'][quote name='SteveMcQ']Really having a hard time deciding between getting it now or waiting for the Xbox version.[/quote]

Now that's an endorsement if I ever did hear one. Should put that last lines on the cover.

That said, anyone that has played or know of the major differences between GTA(III and Vice City) PS2 and Xbox versions? Has the little problems (whatever they may be) on the PS2 fixed on the subsequent Xbox version?[/quote]

Much cleaner visuals. Seems quite a bit more "fluid." Driving is better. And, as mentioned above- custom soundtracks. I'd say they did a nice job. I enjoyed them originally on the PS2 & I was very impressed with the job that was done on the XBOX. :)

[quote name='SteveMcQ']
That said, anyone that has played or know of the major differences between GTA(III and Vice City) PS2 and Xbox versions? Has the little problems (whatever they may be) on the PS2 fixed on the subsequent Xbox version?[/quote]

The controls were mapped a little differently for the Xbox versions due to the lack of 2 shoulder buttons. You use the right analog stick for drive by shooting instead. Not really a big deal unless you've already played the game on Sony's system and become accustomed to it. Otherwise the only real problem is that every now and then (maybe 10-20% of the time) if you try to use a custom soundtrack all of the peds go silent until you reboot your save. If you use the in game soundtrack it never happens though.

Also, as any review will tell you the textures are a little cleaner, the draw distance is a little better...and it's all in 5.1.

I'm not a sony fanboy by any sense - I sold my PS2 and games and currently have ONLY an XBox and 79 games. I bought GTA:SA because my brother has a PS2.. and it's just tradition to have it on launch day. This is better than 3, this is better than Vice. When playing, everything seems more.. fleshed out, I guess. GTA3 was good, Vice just had a weird feel, and this is awesome. My favorite thing to do, thus far, has got to be getting a helicopter to follow me in my car and turn on "COPS cam" (as in the TV show).. it's hilarious, and it looks like you're watching TV. I also love to run and jump and latch on to fences.. that feature is awesome, as well as climbing up onto houses and whatnot. It's just.. great.

crazy lines at the mall tonight for picking it up
they wouldnt even let me in do do normal shopping at a gamestop
was it like this at all the places u guys went?

[quote name='cag1000']crazy lines at the mall tonight for picking it up
they wouldnt even let me in do do normal shopping at a gamestop
was it like this at all the places u guys went?[/quote]

Yup.

I just tried out flying the dodo and it is unbelievable. When you get in the plane you get an altimiter( a bar on the left of the radar that tells you how high you are), and half of the radar turns into one of those balls that are in airplanes that tells you your orientation to the ground (looks like a V). Anyway, I got so high that all I could see was clouds underneath me, it was amazing. Also when you get in the plane at the airport the runway starts to blink so that you know where you have to take off from. Also when all I saw was clouds beneath me I wasn't even as high as I could go. I suggest breaking into the airport early and trying it out.

[quote name='Ledhed']Dammit Scrub, you are making the wait that much more unendurable.[/quote]

I hear ya. That is why I had to get my copy yesterday.

Ahh man now i really want the game. Blockbuster won't be selling til today unlike GS and EB, now i have to go to work until 10 and then i'll be able to finally pick it up.

Scorch how old and what model is the Ps2 you were playing on. One of the reviews I read said load times would change depending on the quality of the hardware may be why you and scrubking are experiencing different levels of slowdown

This will have to wait for after x-mas....or maybe thats something somebody can get me. I have too much going on at work and home, let alone all the games im getting between now and then...but it sounds much more entertaining than Vice city/GTA3 (they were ok...)

[quote name='jlarlee']Scorch how old and what model is the Ps2 you were playing on. One of the reviews I read said load times would change depending on the quality of the hardware may be why you and scrubking are experiencing different levels of slowdown[/quote]

Yeah, I'm worried my PS2 is going to explode when I put in the GTA disc.

In case you are wondering, my plane caught on fire after hitting a tree and I bailed like 10 stories up and I landed in a dead splat.

And I just finished rolling with some homies and it was awesome. They go around pulling rival gangs out of cars and backing you up - If you let them of course. There is nothing like rolling into gang territory with backup.

Also a very important item I forgot to mention is the fact that rival gangs don't automatically know you exist like in the previous games. In fact it can take a pretty long while for them to notice you if they notice you at all - so rolling into gang territory isn't suicide like before. A lot of times they will tell you to leave before attacking you. Awesome isn't it?

Hmmm, should I steal my PS2 back from my brother, or wait a year for XBOX....probably wait since I just got the 2-pack to play again on XBOX

I was wondering around aimlessly in one of the cities only after doing about 3 missions when I died and reapperaed at the nearest hospital...but when I looked in front on me there was a huge explosion on one of the buildings and right smack in the middle of the street a JET had just randomly crashed.....

[quote name='bluenatas09']I was wondering around aimlessly in one of the cities only after doing about 3 missions when I died and reapperaed at the nearest hospital...but when I looked in front on me there was a huge explosion on one of the buildings and right smack in the middle of the street a JET had just randomly crashed.....[/quote]

Seriously? That might be taken in bad taste by some people (among other things in this game).

Well, my PS2 is acting screwy. The AV port is loose and the pic gets messed up at times. The controller port is loose as well and stops responding at times. I'll hold off for the Xbox version. Freakin' lousy hardware.

[quote name='CheapyD'][quote name='jlarlee']Scorch how old and what model is the Ps2 you were playing on. One of the reviews I read said load times would change depending on the quality of the hardware may be why you and scrubking are experiencing different levels of slowdown[/quote]

Yeah, I'm worried my PS2 is going to explode when I put in the GTA disc.[/quote]

Cheapy don't you have five useless PS2 games laying around? You should do the EB trade in and get the new small PS@. I had a launch PS2 and did this deal and i couldn't be happier. I have noticed that load times in my games have been halved. I guess I didn't know how bad my PS2 was until I replaced it

[quote name='magilacudy']Damn, now I'm tempted to get a PStwo. The alternative would to be wait a year for Xbox version. :(

Nice writeup, Scrub.[/quote]

Rockstar should have given him a free copy of the game with all of the publicity he gave it on here. I swear he has a future in marketing

The air is actually like that in LA You can't see some days! I tjink it makes it more real! If you have ever lived there Especially in the 90s it was really bad if you haven't then it must seem werid to you.

My Xbox ruled in the summer (Ninja Gaiden!) . . . but now my PS2 has been back in action . . . I loved Katamari Damacy . . . I've been playing Sly 2 and I'm looking foward to Ratchet and Clank 3 . . . Jak 3

And GTA SA . . . other than Halo 2 . . . there isn't much I'm looking forward to.

hey scrubking, you said something like "the cops are the BEST" around the part where you talked about gangs...

can you be in a cops gang or whatever?

im gettin it tonight wooo!! :)

can you be in a cops gang or whatever?

I don't quite understand your question. Do you mean recruit cops to back you up and follow you around? If so then no. Cops do their own thing - whether its chasing bad guys or you.

On a funny note you guys should try smashing into a stopped car, like at a stop light. Now sometimes when you crash into a car the more road raged peds will get out and try to fight you. They pull out bats and golf clubs - it is hilarious!!

Also, I took some time to get away from the gang banging in Ganton and went sight seeing and I have to say that you don't realize how huge the place is until you just start driving. I spent hours going to the smaller towns to the north and just looking around, and I haven't even gotten to the next major city yet. It is so cool seeing the transition from city to country.

... sigh Sometimes I wish I hadn't promised myself I'd beat Vice city before buying SA.... well back to playing it if I expect to get it THIS YEAR...

I picked up GTA III and VC on the cheap at a pawn shop maybe two weeks after their release dates. I bet SA will be there in a couple of weeks too. I can wait it out...

[quote name='jlarlee']Scorch how old and what model is the Ps2 you were playing on. One of the reviews I read said load times would change depending on the quality of the hardware may be why you and scrubking are experiencing different levels of slowdown[/quote]

Very well could be, since mine was a launch PS2.

Yeah, I'm worried my PS2 is going to explode when I put in the GTA disc.

YOUR PS2 A SPLODE (please catch the reference)

Hmmm, should I steal my PS2 back from my brother, or wait a year for XBOX....probably wait since I just got the 2-pack to play again on XBOX

Steal it. I'm going to steal mine from my brother.

On a funny note you guys should try smashing into a stopped car, like at a stop light. Now sometimes when you crash into a car the more road raged peds will get out and try to fight you. They pull out bats and golf clubs - it is hilarious!!

That freaked me out the first time. This random dude just hops out of his car and pulls an uzi on me. My brother's driving and he starts firing and I'm liek "SHIT! FLOOR IT!!" so we take off. Another time, a random mexcian came up and was all like and gunned me down. Awesome.

Also, I took some time to get away from the gang banging in Ganton and went sight seeing and I have to say that you don't realize how huge the place is until you just start driving. I spent hours going to the smaller towns to the north and just looking around, and I haven't even gotten to the next major city yet. It is so cool seeing the transition from city to country.

You know, I had an idea that this game was pretty big.. but I have NO IDEA how HUGE it is! The magazines are all like.. yep five times bigger than Vice City.. good god, it seems more like 50times larger.. the sense of area is INSANE. I will NEVER get to find my way around.

i got the game and love it, it has so many good improvements, overall the best gta game yet

Definately.

i actually bought it...just started playing...quite impressed so far. boy, these are going to be some great gaming months ahead

updated impressions from me: wow.

I could NOT get into either GTA3 or Vice city...a mix of crappy graphics (even on xbox), bad character models and main characters i just couldnt like. oh, and stories that bored me to tears.

SA has me intrigued as to where its going, who ill meet, and who will survive till the end.

The graphics on this game look like sub-par xbox graphics (thats a good thing, coming from me). they put a LOT of work into it.

slight opening spoiler....

When you go into the pizza place for the first time, when you get ran out, run over the pizza guy to get his shotgun. it makes a few of the opening sections easier.

...um...when you leave the controller alone, it goes into an automatic ped watching mode...i just had two hookers questioning each other on taping themselves having sex.

They did a damn good job with this game!

bread's done
Back