L.A. Noire

Duke Vandal

CAGiversary!
This looks so tremendously cool, I can hardly believe it. Published by Rockstar, developed by the team behind The Getaway (shut up, I liked it), 1940's noir vibe that I can't get enough of- it's too good to be true. The reason I've begun this topic- these recently released rumors.

Rumors :applause:
  • The game will be a free-roaming title with a historically-accurate recreation of Los Angeles in 1947.
  • Team Bondi has even hired a costume designer to research the clothing of the era so the game's attire can be accurate.
  • Aside from main story, side missions will be based on actual cases pulled straight of the newspapers of 1947.
  • A US Marine plays a big role in the story.
  • Not so exclusive...but LA Noire definitely ain't coming to Xbox 360, the size of the game is an obstacle to this. (PS3 exclusive, horray!)
(Source: http://tinyurl.com/2yz3fq )

Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUeY4nY8ruc

... and the game comes out in 2009. Boo.

Does anyone, however, share my premature excitement for the game?

I'm really looking forward to this game, if I don't have a PS3 by the time this comes out I'll buy one if LA Noir gets good review scores.

I like the aesthetic idea for the game...this generation is really bringing us much more than the average cliches. That's certainly a good thing.

So much for the "DVD is sufficient" argument. LA Noire, even if it's a great game, won't have more impact than, say, Bioshock. But, it is yet again evidence that Sony was onto something with the inclusion of Blu-Ray.

I heard about it and ive been very interested , but 2009 is so far away!

And btw OP, I LOVED the Getaway, so your not alone. speaking of that, whats the news on the PS3 getaway?

Solving cases is what excites me most about this game. Dick Tracy on the nes was pretty good... you had to drive around to different locales, solve cases, and there was plenty of action mixed in. The case solving is an new element being added to the free roaming and I hope that it works well, good thing is that when it comes out, PS3 will have a bigger user base.

[quote name='shnizzle66']And btw OP, I LOVED the Getaway, so your not alone. speaking of that, whats the news on the PS3 getaway?[/quote]

Latest rumor is that it'll be released late next year, and include Amsterdam as a city you roam around in. Virtual prostitutes/syphilis abound!

Has anyone confirmed a PS3 exclusive on this? If it's just a technical problem, I'm sure there's compression and other methods of getting around it. However, there'll be a distinct loss in quality if they go the compression and toning down the content/visual quality route. And making the player get up and switch discs every time he visits a section of the city would highlight that problem even more.

MS probably wouldn't want the quality loss on their console (same with the publisher) so that might be the reason why it's going PS3 only.

Two years ago when I was planning on getting a 360, I was bummed that this game was PS3 only.

I am shocked that it is still so far away, and that it is ps3 exclusive.

I feel the game has a huge upside, but still too early to be sure it is great.

~S

[quote name='Vanigan']Has anyone confirmed a PS3 exclusive on this?[/quote]
Team Bondi (the developer) signed an exclusive agreement with SCEA to produce 3 games for the PS3. I'm guessing this is one of them. Also, back in '04 (holy crap, so long ago) as they began development on an untitled PS3 title (which everyone nowadays just assumes is L.A. Noire) the president of Team Bondi stated that "The project is wholly funded by Sony Computer Entertainment America. We have a long-term exclusive arrangement with SCEA."

So yeah, it's all about PS3 exclusivity. Honestly, I'm rather excited about the fact it's exclusive. Having all the space that Blu-ray provides makes me feel better about how the product will eventually turn out.

I wanted day and night cycles in PGR4. :cry:

Oh wow. This just follows with what I've been seeing Sony do.

A lot of people don't realize this because news sites really aren't reporting it. But Sony has signed a lot of deals for exclusive games. I know Epic is now working on one for them now, a few others that I read about but forgot, there were 2-3 studios that just got done with MS exclusives too.

Quantic Dream's Heavy Rain game is definitely PS3 exclusive as Sony is both funding the game and pretty much paid for their giant new motion capture studio (Which is where I think all the mocap for Heavenly Sword and Uncharted was done).

2008 is going to be a very interesting year for PS3 owners.

There's a lot about this that doesn't add up. I'll say up front that any and all of this speculation could turn out to be true, but my concerns are these:

1) This whole exclusivity/publishing arrangement. If Team Bondi has a three game exclusive with Sony, why is this being published by Rockstar? It's the publisher who says where the game goes, not the development studio, and Rockstar has already said their PS3 exclusive isn't L.A. Noire. Hell, why isn't Sony publishing this themselves like the Getaway, if it's exclusive?

2) This, of course, affects the disk size issue. The blogger says "Not so exclusive...but LA Noire definitely ain't coming to Xbox 360, the size of the game is an obstacle to this." So ... it's not exclusive, but it's not coming to the 360. Hoookay ... what's left? It doesn't make a lick of sense.

3) So we just accept random info off incredibly unprofessional looking blogs now?

[quote name='trq']There's a lot about this that doesn't add up. I'll say up front that any and all of this speculation could turn out to be true, but my concerns are these:

1) This whole exclusivity/publishing arrangement. If Team Bondi has a three game exclusive with Sony, why is this being published by Rockstar? It's the publisher who says where the game goes, not the development studio, and Rockstar has already said their PS3 exclusive isn't L.A. Noire. Hell, why isn't Sony publishing this themselves like the Getaway, if it's exclusive?

2) This, of course, affects the disk size issue. The blogger says "Not so exclusive...but LA Noire definitely ain't coming to Xbox 360, the size of the game is an obstacle to this." So ... it's not exclusive, but it's not coming to the 360. Hoookay ... what's left? It doesn't make a lick of sense.

3) So we just accept random info off incredibly unprofessional looking blogs now?[/QUOTE]
Maybe they are talking about the PC when they say it's not exclusive?

[quote name='trq']There's a lot about this that doesn't add up. I'll say up front that any and all of this speculation could turn out to be true, but my concerns are these:

3) So we just accept random info off incredibly unprofessional looking blogs now?[/quote]

1) Think about it like MGS4. It's not coming out for anything but the PS3, but it's being published by Konami. Sony is paying off companies to release games exclusively for their system. Also, Take Two/Rockstar has announced that LA Noire is coming out solely for the PS3 (source: http://tinyurl.com/2grty6 )

2) Heh, I think by saying "not so exclusive", the blogger meant that unlike the rest of the stuff he was posting (which is exclusive to his site), it's been said numerous times elsewhere on the web that the game is exclusive to the PS3.

3) We're not accepting these statements as fact, they're rumors and nothing more. That being said, Kotaku posted these rumors along with the URL that I provided in my post. Take that for what you will.

[quote name='Duke Vandal']1) Think about it like MGS4. It's not coming out for anything but the PS3, but it's being published by Konami. Sony is paying off companies to release games exclusively for their system. Also, Take Two/Rockstar has announced that LA Noire is coming out solely for the PS3 (source: http://tinyurl.com/2grty6 ).[/QUOTE]

The exclusivity doesn't really surprise me, but there's something here that's still parsing as spin to me, rather than straight up, factual, "Sony offset development costs, so we're developing this exclusively for the PS3, and that lets us take advantage of the storage space advantages of Blu Ray."

[quote name='Duke Vandal']2) Heh, I think by saying "not so exclusive", the blogger meant that unlike the rest of the stuff he was posting (which is exclusive to his site), it's been said numerous times elsewhere on the web that the game is exclusive to the PS3.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that works. It was a poorly phrased sentence, so I'm not going to be down on my reading comnprehension on this one, but you're right. That makes sense.

Once again, the bigger picture behind all this is that Sony is definitely not sitting around while the competition grabs up all the good games. MS was able nab all these 2007 releases simply because Sony wasn't in the market as they were still trying to get the PS3 release wrapped up.

Now, they've got a lot of money invested in developers to make new games for the PS3.

[quote name='Vanigan']Once again, the bigger picture behind all this is that Sony is definitely not sitting around while the competition grabs up all the good games. MS was able nab all these 2007 releases simply because Sony wasn't in the market as they were still trying to get the PS3 release wrapped up.

Now, they've got a lot of money invested in developers to make new games for the PS3.[/QUOTE]

Let's not put the cart before the horse here.

Actually, I can point to several articles, all revolving around Sony signing deals with one studio or another to develop a new game.

Sad thing is that have to do this since the PS3 is late to market and to make up for their poor developer support early on.

Where'd you get the quote, "Sony doesn't pay for exclusives"?

Sony is probably paying through the nose for a few big name exclusives. They're probably funding the development of MGS4 and FF13 now too.

bread's done
Back