Become Wombat's Intern!

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
UPDATE!
[quote name='Wombat']OK, there seems to be way too many qualified people who want to be my Intern, and I honestly touched that so many people want to help me succeed in my dreams. So, in my infinite wisdom I added a part two to this contest:

email me ( [email protected] ) one sample blog post, any topic, videogame related, no more than 6 sentences long.

Thanks everyone[/quote]

If all goes well, Wombat will be embarking on a new adventure as a professional video game blogger...but, he could use a little help.

If you are interested in becoming Wombat's unpaid intern (with no college credit), just post a few sentences here explaining why you deserve the "honor".

Because I am currently teaching an English Lit class and have done a lot of editing. I have also been published for a poem. The title of the poem: "Name's Ash - Housewares".

Among the reasons: I have the free time available, I currently write for a very popular gaming website doing reviews and editorial work, I'm a Journalism major, and would put my all behind anything with regard to any assistance Wombat might require. Also, I count myself among the proud Wombat fans, and share very similar tastes to our friend in cheapass crime.

I really like Wombat, and really wouldn't mind being his lackey at all. Besides, I'm considering a career in Video game Journalism, and I'd like to get a taste of it before I fully persue this career. Oh, and to add to that, I don't use abbreviations or txttype on the internet, I always use complete sentences.

I would very much like to be Wombat's intern for several reasons... Most of which I cannot discuss here, since there isn't enough space. I am not exactly sure of what the position would entail or how much is expected on a daily basis. I am confident I can meet the challenge.

Video games are my passion obviously and I look up to Wombat in a way. He's moving his way up the industry from starting at the bottom. I am at that very bottom now. If devoting an hour or two (or more) of my time a day to help him could possibly get me one step out of the basement, it was worth it.

I have a lot of free time on my hand as I wait for the government to process my fiancee's visa. I would like to fill that void by doing something productive. I've taken college courses in running various Microsoft Office tools. I own those tools plus I have reliable internet resources.

My goal isn't free things, become more recognized, or any of the sort. Just simply to pay my dues and hope it leads to a further opportunity. If Wombat would not enjoy my services, I will hold out hope that someone will give me a chance.

Thank you for reading my post.

I'm hoping to get into Game Journalism myself in the next few years (as a career), so I'd be interested in helping out.

I currently live in rural Japan so not only do I have access to lots of Japanese games/Game Shows, I have quite a bit of free time.

I used to regularly write game reviews for my college newspaper back at DePaul, and I also have average Japanese reading/writing/speaking ability.

I should be wombat's intern because I would appreciate it more than anyone else. There's nothing I love more than video games and writing about them.

I'd like to become Wombat's Intern because . . . . .

I know, understand, and follow the video game industry religiously, and I'm the type of person that gets stuff done, so if you need something by a certain date you can count on me.

[quote name='SteveDaWonder']I am creative. I have good grammar. I play a lot of games.[/QUOTE]

Me gooder gramers then he do. Video games is best. Jack Thompson and Uwe Bowe is the bad.

I'm currently the managing editor for a weekly newspaper in Tampa Bay, Fla., and have significant experience in all facets of publication (writing, editing, photography, design, production, etc.). And although I love my job, I'd welcome the opportunity to use my skill set in the video game industry.

[quote name='lyric706']I'm currently the managing editor for a weekly newspaper in Tampa Bay, Fla., and have significant experience in all facets of publication (writing, editing, photography, design, production, etc.). And although I love my job, I'd welcome the opportunity to use my skill set in the video game industry.[/quote]

Well, he's got everyone else beat thus far based on experience I'd think. A winnar is you.

[quote name='contej85']Well, he's got everyone else beat thus far based on experience I'd think. A winnar is you.[/quote]

You actually have more direct video game "journalism" experience. Furthermore, your experience is online, which is what Wombat will need.

I still vote for you.

[quote name='honkymagoo']You actually have more direct video game "journalism" experience. Furthermore, your experience is online, which is what Wombat will need.

I still vote for you.[/quote]

That was unexpected, but thanks, makes me feel slightly better about my chances.

I vote for Thorbahn though, even though he hasn't applied.

i'd like to be his intern, i'm knowledgable about the gaming industry and i get along with Wombat. should be fun, i hope. :)

check my gaming blog in my sig and judge for yourself, Wombat ^^

Wombat said two sentences so here you go:

I'm an English teacher in S. Korea, and I have a fair amount of free time.

Being in S. Korea gives me an advantage because I'm 12 hours ahead and I can do stuff while Wombat is sleeping, so when he wakes up and sees stuff is finished, it will be like magic!

I'm currently a "crimes and courts" beat reporter for a daily newspaper in California, where I also write a weekly video game-related column, called "Geek Review." I've written for several lesser known gaming websites as a reporter \ managing & copy editor, have lots of experience working with writers to hone their skills and I'd love to give something back to the site that helped mold me into the huge Cheap Ass Gamer I am today.

I won't be your bitch, but I will help you write kick ass, interesting... thingies about... games? Yeah.

I've got experience with graphic design and could help you with those aspects in addition to writing about videogames. I have a passion for videogames and am sick of seeing the same old writing cliches and oversights in game journalism, and would like to create new, refreshing writing about the subject!

[quote name='Nephlabobo']
Being in S. Korea gives me an advantage because I'm 12 hours ahead and I can do stuff while Wombat is sleeping, so when he wakes up and sees stuff is finished, it will be like magic![/quote]
You'd be stupid not to pick this guy. He can fix your mistakes before you make them!

I would like to be a part of that project.
Why you would pick me over all these other candidates, who might in fact be a better choice than me, is beyond any understanding.

My question to you sir is "Why can't you have more than one intern/disciple/slave/lacky/entourage/coworker/employee/BFF if your not paying us?"

I would love to write for your blog.

I would rather suck down the hair in the shower drain in a glass of my own urine than be Wombat's intern.................

[quote name='P dad']I would rather suck down the hair in the shower drain in a glass of my own urine than be Wombat's intern.................[/quote]

Because I'm not this guy.

[quote name='P dad']I would rather suck down the hair in the shower drain in a glass of my own urine than be Wombat's intern.................[/QUOTE]
Well, go ahead!

I have a journalism degree and have one year of professional newspaper experience (www.goskagit.com search for Adam Rudnick).

I'd love to help in my free time since I want to branch into video game journalism. Clips available upon request (pm me).

Wombat,

Regardless of who you choose to be your intern, you should definitely pick up a copy of the "Videogame Style Guide and Reference Manual," which is available at www.gamestyleguide.com. It should be required reading for all game journalists, aspiring or otherwise.

I'd like to do it because I have nothing else to do with my time (besides study) and there's no one I'd rather do something for nothing for than Wombat.

I would be the perfect choice to be Wombat’s intern; I am a gamer, as well as a pop-culture junkie, fan of comic books, a comedian (working both in stand-up and as a writer), and an attorney. I write well, understand the industry, I see the humor in almost anything, and I understand the value of time – yours and our potential readers.

[quote name='JoeX111']Wombat,

Regardless of who you choose to be your intern, you should definitely pick up a copy of the "Videogame Style Guide and Reference Manual," which is available at www.gamestyleguide.com. It should be required reading for all game journalists, aspiring or otherwise.[/quote]
Dan Hsu over at 1up.com recommends The Video Game Freelancer's Bible and wrote an interesting article How to get a job writing about games for a living. Both short and full of insightful wisdom, Wombat.

I should be Wombat's intern because I have worked on several now defunct gaming blogs and write video game reviews for my local newspaper. I also I have way more time on my hands to help him then anyone else on this site. Guarenteed.

I wanna get into the CAG family! Plus im in L.a so it would be Far East,East and west Coast! Im willing to learn how run a blog site

No pay, no credit AND we get to put "Intern to Cheap Ass Gamer's Wombat" on our resume! Does the fun ever start?

In all seriousness, I am being serious. Wombat's cool but Wombat's intern is an unfortunate existance.

I am qualified to be Wombat's intern because I am currently a college student striving towards an English major. I am also attracted to the video game industry, therefore I could not only assist Wombat with the editing or structure of his writings, but also help him evolve his ideas as well as putting them down on paper while sharing a common interest.

I have no idea what this "internship" actually entails, but I want it. Why would I be good?

Good qualities:

1) Check the game reviews section of the forum. I can write game reviews. 2) I am close to my economics major, so I can spew bullshit like the rest of the analysts out there.
3) I am a creative person.

Bad Qualities:

1) I am sarcastic
2) I don't like people who play the race card.
3) I think Kotaku/Joystiq/Destructoid is full of shit.

In conclusion, I like to write about games, but I dislike many things.

i would love 2 be wombat's intern. i think u should pick me because i live in NJ so i am close by, im 14, i am a cheap and a noob when it comes to videos, i would love to learn from the best!
p.s. i only have a psp and ps2 and i have not gotten a new game since madden 07!

Let me sum up for you why I would be a great intern for Wombat in three sentences (because important people like Wombat don't have time to listen to unpaid interns):

1) I can make coffee.
2) I can make copies.
3) I've worked 2 full-time unpaid internships, and I'm used to be shit on by the man.

Also, irrelevant, but I've never complained when Wombat gets put on my Halo 3 team.

Thanks,
Lordwow

I think i would enjoy being Wombats intern! I am currently a Broadcast Journalism major and I have alot of free time. I also work at a convience store in the ghetto here so i'm used to putting up with lots of unusual stuff!

I would like to do this because I am also thinking of writing a blog on the topic and this would be a good way to learn the ins and outs. I also have time to do it, and would very much like this learning experience. I am a therapist for a military organization and would like a change of pace. I am also an avid gamer especially enjoys old school games. I just finished Dracula X ROB on PC Engine and will be moving on to Dragon Quest VI on the Super Famicom in my never ending quest to learn japanese.

bread's done
Back