So if my 60GB PS3 breaks will Sony Fix it?

Shoki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So I paid top dollar for the 60GB PS3 so I can have all the extras... I am worried that if I need to get this thing repaired will Sony repair or replace the same hardware with BC and all?

The reason i worry is because since the 60GB PS3 had BC I went back and re-purchased a lot of PS1 and PS2 games that i had loved in the past. If my fully BC machine breaks will the fix it right? I only want one Playstation under the TV.

A damned good question to see if they replace fully BC consoles with the software BC systems.

If the PS3 died at the rate the 360 did, we'd have an answer by now, wouldn't we? ;)

I think the true test is in a few years. Sony could easily offer a fully BC system in return for a broken one ATM, but down the line, will they? I, for one, hope so. I'd be livid if they tried to send me back a system different from the one I bought.

That's been a big worry for me as well. It might depend on what systems they have in stock at the time, which would suck. Maybe they'll ship a PS2 along with the PS3. ;)

I wonder if anyone could get a straight answer out of Sony, the problem is what they say today may have no resemblance to what they do tomorrow.

[quote name='mykevermin']I think the true test is in a few years. Sony could easily offer a fully BC system in return for a broken one ATM, but down the line, will they? I, for one, hope so. I'd be livid if they tried to send me back a system different from the one I bought.[/QUOTE]

The warranty is only 1 year so in a few years none of the 60GB (or 20GB) sytems will be under warranty.

[quote name='Justin42']I wonder if they'll just refuse to do any out-of-warranty repairs on them?[/quote]
I doubt that. Sony can only make money on repairs if they are out of warranty. Otherwise they'd have to cover it for free. I think there's little chance that sony (a company out there to make money) would pass up income.

That being said, it looks like the PS3 is the gamecube in terms of build quality of this generation. It can only be stopped by being shot out of a cannon or larger rifle (maybe a 600 lb. falling fanboy). ;)

Barring rare defects, the PS3 seems like a solid enough system that you won't have to use your warranty.

Remember, the only reason why MS extended its warranty and offered refunds was that they'd have been slapped with a massive class action lawsuit had they not offered those fixes. Considering the number of failed systems a few months after release, can you imagine how deep in trouble MS would be had they only honored their original 1 year warranty?

Meanwhile, I believe some site did a stress test of the PS3 system, running it in a sauna, freezing it, not sure what else, but the system survived and played games fine. The only time the system had problems was in the freezer, not the sauna, and that was because the disc drive froze up or fogged over. Once they got it to room temperature again it worked fine.

Here's the thing, Sony can just repair those 60gb models, and send out factory refurbs as replacements.

I don't consider the warranty the issue - but if I have to pay for out-of-warranty repairs down the line, you bet your ass I'm expecting a fully BC 60GB in return.

You're good with the PS1 games, those should be standard for every Playstation system judging by how easy it is to emulate them, and the fact that they're available in the store. I'm sure down the line Sony will bring back PS2 BC, well not sure, but surely by PS4.

Here's a question.

I upscaled my regular Transformers DVD to 1080i through my PS3 yesterday, today, hooked it up to a 1080p tv, upscaled it, and it started showing me double images for split seconds through 1080p. In 1080i, this didn't happen. So, is this a problem with my TV, disc, or PS3?

Someone on a forum got a 20GB which didn't work on arrival. He called Sony and they were going to give him a refurb 20GB PS3. He ended up calling GS and got a new one from another store instead, but if that's the case with the more limited 20GB, Sony will do the same with the 60GB.

I have been wondering the same thing.

Hopefully, by that time, the few rare gem PS2 games I actually own that I use the backwards compatibility for would get a remake/port to the latest and greatest hardware(s) with extras and the like. Or, the software emulation is so well tuned, one doesn't have to worry. There is still software BC on the 80GB version, right?

I went to bestbuy to pick up ps3. The guy said $85 for 2 years. I asked him, if u guys dont have 60gigs anymore what will i get? hes like i can choose the 20g or the 80g. if theres none in stock, i get BB credit on a GC. of course, i reject the warranty.

Good question OP. I sure hope Sony will, I just picked up one the last 60GB systems at my local Best Buy without a store warranty.

I'm digging up this old thread because my 60gb is giving me problems... so I'm going to update on how sony handles my 60gb repair. I'm hoping that they give me some new chips(gpu) and fan, or whatever is needed to help the system run w/ less heat, and quieter.

[quote name='Vanigan']Barring rare defects, the PS3 seems like a solid enough system that you won't have to use your warranty.

Remember, the only reason why MS extended its warranty and offered refunds was that they'd have been slapped with a massive class action lawsuit had they not offered those fixes. Considering the number of failed systems a few months after release, can you imagine how deep in trouble MS would be had they only honored their original 1 year warranty?

Meanwhile, I believe some site did a stress test of the PS3 system, running it in a sauna, freezing it, not sure what else, but the system survived and played games fine. The only time the system had problems was in the freezer, not the sauna, and that was because the disc drive froze up or fogged over. Once they got it to room temperature again it worked fine.

Here's the thing, Sony can just repair those 60gb models, and send out factory refurbs as replacements.[/QUOTE]

Actually the original 360 warranty was 90 days. NOT one year. After about a year on the market THEN they extended it to one year which was still woefully inadequate.

[quote name='Paco']Actually the original 360 warranty was 90 days. NOT one year. After about a year on the market THEN they extended it to one year which was still woefully inadequate.[/QUOTE]

Its one year on everything except the Red Ring of Death. They extended the warranty to three years for that issue.

Nope, the original Xbox warranty was 90 days like Paco stated. Than they made it one year than they made it three years on the RRoD. Here's a gamespot article from 2006 stating that they up the warranty to 1 year. http://www.gamespot.com/news/6163599.html

Well since it's been a couple of years now since this thread first started. Has anybody recently sent in a 60 or 20 gb PS3 for repairs. and if so, what happen? Did they get a new 60/20 gb PS3 from Sony or one of the new systems?

It really sucks how alot of us are scared and worried about our systems dying. I don't ever remember having this horrible feeling in my gut about say my dreamcast or nintendo dying. "Will I lose my BC, memory card slot rich, 200gigs worth of stuff on my HDD, all my gameshares that I've dropped plenty of $$$ on, PS3?!?!" (these are my thoughts/worries)

I'm not bitchin at anyone, it's just wierd how times have changed so quickly.

[quote name='Brownjohn']Its one year on everything except the Red Ring of Death. They extended the warranty to three years for that issue.[/QUOTE]

I said ORIGINALLY. When it launched until around mid 2006 the warranty was 90 days for EVERYTHING. Afterwards they upped it to one year. Once they were --- close to a class action lawsuit they upped the red ring warranty to three years. It's a fun history.

[quote name='Thongsy']Nope, the original Xbox warranty was 90 days like Paco stated. Than they made it one year than they made it three years on the RRoD. Here's a gamespot article from 2006 stating that they up the warranty to 1 year. http://www.gamespot.com/news/6163599.html

Well since it's been a couple of years now since this thread first started. Has anybody recently sent in a 60 or 20 gb PS3 for repairs. and if so, what happen? Did they get a new 60/20 gb PS3 from Sony or one of the new systems?[/QUOTE]

I sent in my PS3 last year 60 gb. Laser died. They fixed my console and yes it was my console because I slipped in my old 320 gb hard drive and didn't have to reformat. The lense was fixed and it's been trucking for over a year.

[quote name='shadowkast']It really sucks how alot of us are scared and worried about our systems dying. I don't ever remember having this horrible feeling in my gut about say my dreamcast or nintendo dying. "Will I lose my BC, memory card slot rich, 200gigs worth of stuff on my HDD, all my gameshares that I've dropped plenty of $$$ on, PS3?!?!" (these are my thoughts/worries)

I'm not bitchin at anyone, it's just wierd how times have changed so quickly.[/QUOTE]

well I have an Atari 2600 that's still functioning... that's craftmanship. The problem is bad, and its across all systems because they all have poor craftmanship. PS3 is pretty good, but they're having their share of problems. Honestly, in most cases it might be best to wait before you purchase a newly released console, wait until they perfect the hardware. 600 dollars...I feel that my PS3 should be fixed for free.

well you can back up most of your game save. Back in the day if the battery is dead, your save is gone.

[quote name='Thomas96']well I have an Atari 2600 that's still functioning... that's craftmanship. The problem is bad, and its across all systems because they all have poor craftmanship. PS3 is pretty good, but they're having their share of problems. Honestly, in most cases it might be best to wait before you purchase a newly released console, wait until they perfect the hardware. 600 dollars...I feel that my PS3 should be fixed for free.[/QUOTE]

That's not fair because old consoles have no moving parts hence no wear and tear to consider.

[quote name='Paco']That's not fair because old consoles have no moving parts hence no wear and tear to consider.[/QUOTE]

you're totally right, but you know that's just more of an incentive to move to digital distribution.. they all you need is chips, fan, and hard drive. But honestly, I think that problem is the design of the console they try to cram too much into small spaces.. I think that they need to build consoles similar to how they build PCs more ventiliation better fans.. At this point in time, I just want a console that's going to last about 10, 15 (really 20) years and then some. Plus the casing (plastic) of most consoles just are great for keeping heat. Maybe they should use some thin aluminum, kinda like a receiver. Just make consoles look like smaller receiver components. I dont need a sexy looking console. just give me one that's going to work well..

The machine is replaceable, sure your out some Dinero However your PSN account is what is affected the most sure your out because If your system dies before you can deactivate it from a PSN account that is where problems occur.

There should be some way to log into your account online and Deactivate a PS3 if you know the PS3 ID, that way if your's dies or someone else's who you've downloaded you ID to dies your PSN account is not hurt. Or Sony could somehow delete that PS3 globally, freeing up any slot it's recorded in the PSN Network, that would allow you to activate your PSN on the new machin

[quote name='Romis']The machine is replaceable, sure your out some Dinero However your PSN account is what is affected the most sure your out because If your system dies before you can deactivate it from a PSN account that is where problems occur.

There should be some way to log into your account online and Deactivate a PS3 if you know the PS3 ID, that way if your's dies or someone else's who you've downloaded you ID to dies your PSN account is not hurt. Or Sony could somehow delete that PS3 globally, freeing up any slot it's recorded in the PSN Network, that would allow you to activate your PSN on the new machin[/QUOTE]

to activate psn on another machine all you have to do is log in... w/ your password.. right? You don't have to deativate anything... just get rid of your credit info, and uncheck save password option and that should be it. Plus backing up the HDD... which I need to do that tonight!!!!! Explain that process to me again, I didn't get it.

[quote name='Thomas96']to activate psn on another machine all you have to do is log in... w/ your password.. right? You don't have to deativate anything... just get rid of your credit info, and uncheck save password option and that should be it. Plus backing up the HDD... which I need to do that tonight!!!!! Explain that process to me again, I didn't get it.[/QUOTE]

You are able to activate a new PS3 on your account without deactivating your old one, HOWEVER, that only applies to game related downloads. With video related downloads you can only activate one PS3 so if your old one dies before you can deactivate it your outta luck doing any movie/TV downloads on that account on any other PS3 ever...

I just sent my 60GB in on Monday (out of warranty). Graphics were feezing up. They sent a box back to me with a new 60GB because my problem couldn't be fixed within a couple days.

I wish that they would just send me a new one and refurb the old one... damn.. why fuck up my play time, and if I don't send the old 60gb back, charge my card.. I mean damn, that's the way EA did it with the rockband parts... its so much easier that way.

Just as an aside, if you have a non-US PS3, Sony can't do anything for you.

My Japanese 60gb bit the dust a while back (Smoke + Delicate BluRay = Me Swearing At Everything) and I gave them a call just to see what they could do.

The answer: "Uh....um.....you could call Sony Japan and ship it to them."

I just bought a US 80gb.

Wasn't really expecting them to be able to help me, but it was worth a shot.

Now I have a 60gb with a bad laser I'm lookin to offload :)

[quote name='basilofbkrst']I just sent my 60GB in on Monday (out of warranty). Graphics were feezing up. They sent a box back to me with a new 60GB because my problem couldn't be fixed within a couple days.[/QUOTE]
Did you pay $150? And does your new system play PS2 games no problem?

My roommate's PS3 broke recently (keeps freezing on boot, even after replacing the hard drive and installing new firmware)... Sony wants $150 to fix it, which is better than buying a new one but my roommate mostly just plays PS1/PS2 games so he's worried about getting back a non-BC unit... a PS3-games-only unit wouldn't be worth $150 for him.

[quote name='Koggit']Did you pay $150? And does your new system play PS2 games no problem?

My roommate's PS3 broke recently (keeps freezing on boot, even after replacing the hard drive and installing new firmware)... Sony wants $150 to fix it, which is better than buying a new one but my roommate mostly just plays PS1/PS2 games so he's worried about getting back a non-BC unit... a PS3-games-only unit wouldn't be worth $150 for him.[/QUOTE]

Wait, so it's possible that if you send in a broken 60 GB system then you might not get the same BC one in return? They just can't fix your system that you sent?

[quote name='Rozz']Wait, so it's possible that if you send in a broken 60 GB system then you might not get the same BC one in return? They just can't fix your system that you sent?[/QUOTE]

I think they'll send the same one back.... I hope so.. because I'm going to be pissed if I send them a 60gb system, and then they send me a system w/ no BC. Hell if they're going to do that, then send me a fucking slim. I sent my PS3 off today, so I'll report back.

Maybe I'll buy a month of live, and play some Halo ODST......

[quote name='RedvsBlue']You are able to activate a new PS3 on your account without deactivating your old one, HOWEVER, that only applies to game related downloads. With video related downloads you can only activate one PS3 so if your old one dies before you can deactivate it your outta luck doing any movie/TV downloads on that account on any other PS3 ever...[/QUOTE]

thanks for the advice, I definitely didn't know about that. I kinda felt like I was getting my system fixed too early, but honeslty, I don't want to wait till its absolutely not functioning, because then I could lose everything.

Damn, does anyone not check out Sony's website anymore? :wall:

Here's a link to their warranty policy and service policy on the PS3:
http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/Warranties/PS3

Specifically of note:
[quote name='From PS3 warranty page']
Service policy

You understand and acknowledge that any time SCEA services your PS3™ system (either within the Warranty Period or under a separate service arrangement), it may become necessary for SCEA to provide certain services to your PS3™ system to ensure it is functioning properly in accordance with SCEA guidelines. Such services may include the installation of the latest software or firmware updates, or service or replacement of the PS3™ hard disk or the PS3™ system with a new or refurbished product. You acknowledge and agree that some services may change your current settings, cause a removal of cosmetic stickers or system skins, cause a loss of data or content, or cause some loss of functionality. You should back up your hard disk regularly to prevent loss or alteration of data, although some content cannot be backed up and must be reinstalled by the user. You should also remove any peripherals, non-PS3™ system components, and any content that you consider proprietary, private, or confidential before you send in your PS3™ system for service. SCEA shall not be liable for damages resulting from your failure to comply with the foregoing, or any instructions provided to you by SCEA. SCEA reserves the right to refuse service or void the warranty of any PS3™ system that has been modified or tampered with.

Except as otherwise stated in the Limited Hardware Warranty and Liability above, you agree that (i) the services are provided "AS IS" without any express or implied warranties; and (ii) SCEA shall not be liable for any direct and indirect, consequential, or special damages, including any damages that may arise from loss of data or functionality. The foregoing limitation shall apply to the extent permitted by applicable law.[/quote]

Bolded points for the curious. Which states that in the repair process they may change your settings, remove any system skins/stickers, format your hard drive or send you back a system with lesser functionality than you sent in. That, and you can't sue them/complain about it if they send you a system with lesser functionality.

Which means if you send them a 20GB/60GB system, you might end up with a SW-only BC-capable system or a non-BC-capable system. Chances are slim that they would do that, though it's in their service policy that they could. I've never heard of anyone sending in a 60GB and getting back an 80GB/SW-type BC system board in it, or a 80GB/no-BC system board in it, though it doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

Just some FYI for people worried about it.

I did this a few months ago, and got a 60GB back. That piece quoted above certainly gives them the option to not send the same model, though.

Are you guys REALLY still playing PS2 games?

[quote name='orko60']I did this a few months ago, and got a 60GB back. That piece quoted above certainly gives them the option to not send the same model, though.

Are you guys REALLY still playing PS2 games?[/QUOTE]

Yes we are, and that's the reason many of us purchased and continue to purchase 60 GB. We just want the same model of what we bought originally, not one with less functionality.

[quote name='orko60']I did this a few months ago, and got a 60GB back. That piece quoted above certainly gives them the option to not send the same model, though.

Are you guys REALLY still playing PS2 games?[/QUOTE]

I'm not playing that many PS2 games, but still, we paid the fulll 600 (or 500) for the 60gb version, I don't think that we shouldn't be downgraded to a non 60gb version.

[quote name='Logain8955']Just as an aside, if you have a non-US PS3, Sony can't do anything for you.

My Japanese 60gb bit the dust a while back (Smoke + Delicate BluRay = Me Swearing At Everything) and I gave them a call just to see what they could do.

The answer: "Uh....um.....you could call Sony Japan and ship it to them."

I just bought a US 80gb.

Wasn't really expecting them to be able to help me, but it was worth a shot.

Now I have a 60gb with a bad laser I'm lookin to offload :)[/QUOTE]

They sell new/refurb lasers already online, you have only to Google it and you could possibly fix your own PS3.:D

As for the Sony loophole on sending back the same system, I pointed that out in some other thread about 2 months ago. It seems like a shitty way to get out of having to send back the SAME system or same type of system, but if they're out of those already, how else can they fix the issue?

Oh and Thomas96, unless they're swamped you should get back your console in about two weeks total. You'll be sent back a slip of paper with the 90 day limited warranty info on it as well.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']They sell new/refurb lasers already online, you have only to Google it and you could possibly fix your own PS3.:D

As for the Sony loophole on sending back the same system, I pointed that out in some other thread about 2 months ago. It seems like a shitty way to get out of having to send back the SAME system or same type of system, but if they're out of those already, how else can they fix the issue?

Oh and Thomas96, unless they're swamped you should get back your console in about two weeks total. You'll be sent back a slip of paper with the 90 day limited warranty info on it as well.[/QUOTE]

But if it's just a laser swap, sony just fixes it and sends you back your console. I know because my laser broke and they swapped the laser and sent me back my console.

All they probably did with my 40gb model was clean the lens and ship it back to me, which I could've easily done myself, but I wanted the 3 month warranty since my warranty was at it's end when I decided to call Sony.

But I'm just giving my fellow CAG's some info that maybe they don't know about, since it's only $70 and some of your time versus $150 and being stuck without your PS3 for at least 2 weeks till Sony fixes it.

bread's done
Back