Best Buy Employee Discount

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 hunterrogue

hunterrogue

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:11 PM

Anyone know what the typical markup on televisions is? Have a source at BB that might be able to "gift" me his discount which is COST + 5% on televisions typically. But what is cost? Anyone know?

#2 striker199

striker199

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:23 PM

varies by model, have your friend check employee price

#3 Dunvane

Dunvane

The Diddler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:28 PM

Its a considerable discount, but he needs to be careful. They will not hesitate to fire someone if they find out they are using the discount for anyone but themselves.

#4 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:46 PM

they changed this years ago . it used to be worker + family

now its just the worker.

If you buy a big tv that needs to be delivered they will not deliver it to anyones house besides the worker.

Also if they find out the worker allowed someone else to use the discount they will be fired on the spot.

around 10 years ago my father used to let me use his discount

(tvs dont have that big of a discount maybe 20 to 50 bucks tops)

and was told they would be fired if they let anyone else use his card now
WOOOO I STINK

#5 banpeikun

banpeikun

LE Nintendo DS? DO WANT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:21 AM

h8 bb
D/P Friend Code: 2234 3855 8897

New links! [My collection] [My trade list] [My eBay feedback]
Currently playing: Final Fantasy IV, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

Soundtracks, manga, and artbook downloads:
http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=23384

Posted Image

#6 Cow_tipper

Cow_tipper

Don't even worry about it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:31 AM

What's the typical employee discount at BB?

#7 ighosty

ighosty

I just lost the game.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:35 AM

There are many variables that go into Discount, such as brand, model, and product. A brand new sony camera will have a different discount then a old sony mp3 player.

#8 terribledeli

terribledeli

Zombiologist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:53 AM

they changed this years ago . it used to be worker + family

now its just the worker.

No its not.

Its worker + spouse + dependents under the age of 23 within the same house. The worker is required to be there to purchase all items, as in they are the ones that had to complete the transaction. But it doesn't have to be their money as I often get my wife to use my credit card to complete our transactions.

Bona fide gifts are also acceptable.

If its a Best Buy brand product, expect a hefty discount. The ones my wife scanned were usually about $200 cheaper.
"Cheapness is not a sense" - Jerry Seinfeld

#9 hunterrogue

hunterrogue

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:44 AM

No its not.

Its worker + spouse + dependents under the age of 23 within the same house. The worker is required to be there to purchase all items, as in they are the ones that had to complete the transaction. But it doesn't have to be their money as I often get my wife to use my credit card to complete our transactions.

If its a Best Buy brand product, expect a hefty discount. The ones my wife scanned were usually about $200 cheaper.

Ha, I was going to try to use it on a Plasma, but maybe that's obvious!!??:roll:

If a TV costs $2000, is it like 1600 or even less with the discount that's what I'm wondering.

Sounds like it's probably safer and cheaper and easier just to buy it on sale for all concerned...

#10 ighosty

ighosty

I just lost the game.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:48 AM

Ha, I was going to try to use it on a Plasma, but maybe that's obvious!!??:roll:

If a TV costs $2000, is it like 1600 or even less with the discount that's what I'm wondering.

Sounds like it's probably safer and cheaper and easier just to buy it on sale for all concerned...

No one here can tell you, since it depends on model and brand. You will need someone who you work with to check.

#11 crazynater

crazynater

It's good to be the king!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:58 AM

A friend that works at Best Buy told me that they get the highest profits (higher markup above cost) from the items that have a "Reward Zone" tag next to the price tag. So managers urge employees to push those items harder if the customer isn't sure what they want.

Also, depending on the store and the day, sometimes they really want to get a TV out the door just to make numbers. They will discount it to customers, within a reasonable amount (never below cost). That is why it is sometimes worth it to go at the end of the day, when the employees know if they haven't made enough sales yet.

I love knowing BB's insider secrets...
Things I have thanks to CAG...
FREE - 30gb Black iPod from Paypal

2008 Movie Spending Tab
2008 Video Game Spending Tab
My Tradelist
My eBay Auctions
My Game Collection
My Movie Collection

#12 ighosty

ighosty

I just lost the game.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:01 AM

I remember my friend telling me about how all the electronics that best buy bought from people, people would bring them into the story and get credit for them, were just sold on ebay, don't remember the account name anymore tho.

#13 crazynater

crazynater

It's good to be the king!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:03 AM

I remember my friend telling me about how all the electronics that best buy bought from people, people would bring them into the story and get credit for them, were just sold on ebay, don't remember the account name anymore tho.

Found it!
Things I have thanks to CAG...
FREE - 30gb Black iPod from Paypal

2008 Movie Spending Tab
2008 Video Game Spending Tab
My Tradelist
My eBay Auctions
My Game Collection
My Movie Collection

#14 hunterrogue

hunterrogue

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:04 AM

Yeah I

No one here can tell you, since it depends on model and brand. You will need someone who you work with to check.

#15 hunterrogue

hunterrogue

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:07 AM

Yeah I figured I'll do that and reply here when I get one

#16 banpeikun

banpeikun

LE Nintendo DS? DO WANT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:53 AM

Yeah I

Yeah I figured I'll do that and reply here when it's

???

Posted Image

#17 ighosty

ighosty

I just lost the game.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:56 AM

Found it!

isn't that just fantasitic :roll:

#18 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:39 PM

No its not.

they must changed it again then cause when it was a years ago my father was told this
WOOOO I STINK

#19 Snake2715

Snake2715

Gotta Have Your Toys...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:55 PM

they must changed it again then cause when it was a years ago my father was told this

Yeah or he was just sick of buying shit for you!

When my wife worked there the discounts were insane. There is actually an employee only website at JBL for home theatre. We picked up a $3500 speaker set up for ~$900 shipped. Then all the wiring and stuff I went to the store and purchased her discount was over 50%. The bannana clips for the back of the speakers were selling for $18 I bought for $3 with her discount.

I still tell her to go back (Shess still in retail at another company) as I want a few camera lenses etc. I would pay someone to give me the discount on those items.
-Josh

Posted Image
-courtesy of onetrackmind-

TRADE LIST

#20 mofo1115

mofo1115

CAG gone to college!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2007 - 04:07 PM

Yeah cables have INSANE markups.

#21 Cow_tipper

Cow_tipper

Don't even worry about it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:14 PM

Yeah cables have INSANE markups.

How about a $100 8 foot basic HDMI cable? Or a slightly higher quality $275 16 foot HDMI cable?

And about employee discounts, are the discounts any good on video games and dvd's?

#22 banpeikun

banpeikun

LE Nintendo DS? DO WANT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:25 PM

employee discount on $275 HDMI cable: 89.9%
employee discount on $250 Nintendo Wii: 0.01%

Posted Image

#23 hunterrogue

hunterrogue

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2007 - 03:17 AM

???

Couldn't wait? HAHA ;-)

When I get one I'll post here and try to clarify this questions re: how much BB employee discounts on. Google hasn't really helped me figure it out either!

#24 Karuto

Karuto

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2007 - 04:17 PM

I worked at BB for over a year. You get 5% above what the store pays for the product. My brother just quit working there a couple months ago, and the only person that gets the discount is the worker himself. It doesn't really matter, because you could just pay for it with your money and give it to your friend/relative/whomever later. There's nothing the store could do about it, because you could just say you didn't want it, or got bored with it.

And yes, cable discounts are pretty insane, as well as pretty much anny accessory. I got an iPod case that originally retails for $30 for $10, and a $25 cable for $2.00. The discounts are best with Car Audio, Appliances, and Home Theater. The unfortunate part is that a lot of discounts in the other areas (such as CDs, Games, etc.), are near nonexistant or match the price you'd find online.

Honestly, the only reason I kept working at Best Buy was because of the discount. Otherwise, it was a pretty mundane place to be (especially when the only time you went there was to work).

#25 hunterrogue

hunterrogue

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2007 - 04:42 PM

I worked at BB for over a year. You get 5% above what the store pays for the product.

This is the question...what does the store pay for a $2000 TV...500? 1000? More?

This is like some national security matter, no one seems to know :-)

#26 Dunvane

Dunvane

The Diddler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2007 - 05:19 PM

This is the question...what does the store pay for a $2000 TV...500? 1000? More?

This is like some national security matter, no one seems to know :-)

Like others have said before, it depends on the particular television!

Some companies, you don't get as big of a discount (coughSONYcough), while with others, you can get a $3000 tv for like $1600. It all depends.

A.K.A. There is no definitive answer.

#27 hunterrogue

hunterrogue

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:56 AM

Like others have said before, it depends on the particular television!

Some companies, you don't get as big of a discount (coughSONYcough), while with others, you can get a $3000 tv for like $1600. It all depends.

A.K.A. There is no definitive answer.

ROFL! I know it depends on the TV, how about a for instance for someone who is a BB employee? That's what the thread was for, any BB employees who actually purchased televisions ;-) Guess none of them are CAGs :roll:

But this actually answers my question more so thank you!! Still have to catch up with my "source". Got my eye on a Panasonic 50" Plasma (drools)

#28 likeaphoenixignition

likeaphoenixignition

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2007 - 07:30 PM

Uh TVs have a huge discount. My friend got a 5000 dollar TV for really low.

#29 Karuto

Karuto

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2007 - 05:28 PM

You'd get a big discount for Best Buy-owned brands, such as Dynex or Insignia, but don't expect as big a leap for Sony or Toshiba brands. Either way, you'll get a nice chunky discount. My friend saved hundreds, maybe even thousands, on his 50" plasma.

#30 sandboa

sandboa

Posted 30 November 2007 - 05:34 PM

Ok, lts say I wanna purchase a sharp aquos 46" lcd tv model number lc46d64u. Best buy is currently selling it for $2069.99. What would be the cost for the employee?